Playoffs Round 2: Elder (9-2) vs. Milford (9-2)

adselder09

Outside of Springboro-Mason in the 4-5 game, I think Elder has the toughest assignment in terms of matchups in Round 2. Milford was able to move the ball and score on Winton Woods earlier this season, I don't envision that being an easy game for Elder whatsoever.

Outside of Springboro-Mason in the 4-5 game, I think Elder has the toughest assignment in terms of matchups in Round 2. Milford was able to move the ball and score on Winton Woods earlier this season, I don't envision that being an easy game for Elder whatsoever.
Tom Grippa coming back to the Pit.

Coach Ramsey comments on Coach Grippa after he achieved 200 wins last year.

"Tom changed a lot of programs. He came to Elder and got things going. He went to Fairfield and got things going. He went to La Salle and kinda got them going again," Ramsey said following Elder's 28-6 win over Covington Catholic Friday night. "Over at Milford he’s done a great job. I owe a lot to him. If it wasn’t for Tom, I wouldn’t be coaching at Elder right here."

It probably won’t be. They throw the ball very well and Elder still isn’t great in the Secondary.

Upon further review, that score might be misleading. WW had 4 picks and 2 pick 6s but also lost 3 fumbles. Still think Milford will be a matchup problem for Elder, but Elder should be able to control the LOS.

Upon further review, that score might be misleading. WW had 4 picks and 2 pick 6s but also lost 3 fumbles. Still think Milford will be a matchup problem for Elder, but Elder should be able to control the LOS.

Milford did put up over 300 yards of offense in that game and held WW to under 50 yards rushing for the game.

WW had less than 40 yards rushing in that game., Really the only team that has stifled the run game.

NFHSNetwork.com has 3 of Milford's games from this season:
  1. vs. Anderson on September 9 https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/anderson-high-school-cincinnati-oh/game62542245b
  2. vs. West Clermont on October 14 https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/west-clermont-cincinnati-oh/gam1aef00fc0b
  3. vs. Turpin on October 21 https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/turpin-cincinnati-oh/gam4ca2319c77
To get an NFHSNetwork.com account (which is free) you can go to this URL, https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/redeem and enter the code WCAT23 to get a free subscription through June 30, 2023.

I don’t know exactly how it all works with Spectrum sports but I assume they’ll be televising the Moe/X game. Does that mean Elder may be allowed to stream again?

I understand wanting to take Milford seriously but all this talk makes Elder sound like the underdog. This is also a team that beat West Clermont & Anderson by a point and lost to Kings 41-7.

Let’s not undersell how good Elder has been this season, excluding the Moeller game. This is a team that’s beaten the top team in KY, and two of the top teams in Indiana, along with a road win over a top 5 seed in R4.

I understand wanting to take Milford seriously but all this talk makes Elder sound like the underdog. This is also a team that beat West Clermont & Anderson by a point and lost to Kings 41-7.

Let’s not undersell how good Elder has been this season, excluding the Moeller game. This is a team that’s beaten the top team in KY, and two of the top teams in Indiana, along with a road win over a top 5 seed in R4.
Elder is absolutely the favorite, especially at home. It just doesn't appear to be the greatest matchup. Elder wants to run the ball, and Milford has proven to be stout against some strong run heavy teams. They're also going to have a strong passing attack offensively, and of the three levels of defense for Elder, I think the weakest of the three is the secondary in terms of coverage, as they tackle really well as a unit.

I don’t know exactly how it all works with Spectrum sports but I assume they’ll be televising the Moe/X game. Does that mean Elder may be allowed to stream again?
Spectrum has first choice and exclusive rights to whichever games they choose for streaming or TV. I think everyone agrees with you that Moeller vs. X will be on TV. Springboro vs. Mason should be a good matchup and probably streamed. So if they do 3 games in Region 4 like last week, either Lakota West vs. Princeton or Elder vs. Milford will be streamed also.

To answer your question, if Spectrum doesn’t choose Elder-Milford, ENN should be streaming again. Though that might not be official until Friday again

Elder is absolutely the favorite, especially at home. It just doesn't appear to be the greatest matchup. Elder wants to run the ball, and Milford has proven to be stout against some strong run heavy teams. They're also going to have a strong passing attack offensively, and of the three levels of defense for Elder, I think the weakest of the three is the secondary in terms of coverage, as they tackle really well as a unit.
they also gave up 440 yards rushing to Lebanon. I agree, they’re not a great matchup, but let’s not over analyze things. Elder has bigger and better players, they should be able to control the LOS.

NFHSNetwork.com has 3 of Milford's games from this season:
  1. vs. Anderson on September 9 https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/anderson-high-school-cincinnati-oh/game62542245b
  2. vs. West Clermont on October 14 https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/west-clermont-cincinnati-oh/gam1aef00fc0b
  3. vs. Turpin on October 21 https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/turpin-cincinnati-oh/gam4ca2319c77
To get an NFHSNetwork.com account (which is free) you can go to this URL, https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/redeem and enter the code WCAT23 to get a free subscription through June 30, 2023.
I am in the 2nd quarter of the Turpin game.

Elder 35 Milford 14. Setting up a game vs LW/Princeton winner.

I think they win that game too and set up a rematch against Moe. Who knows about that game, but Moe is the only team I think that beats Elder in this region. They are playing well and don't make a lot of mistakes.

It's going to take a team with better talent to beat them. They aren't going to beat themselves.

Last edited:

I think they win that game too and set up a rematch against Moe. Who knows about that game, but Moe is the only team I think that beats Elder in this region. They are playing well and don't make a lot of mistakes.

It's going to take a team with better talent to beat them. They aren't going to beat themselves.
LW would be a toss up. Moeller is a better team, but not to the degree they beat Elder in the Regular Season. I think they’re 2-3 TDs better than Elder but not 4-5 TDs.

I see something similar, maybe 28-14 or 35-21 type game in favor of the Panthers.

Lakota West is a team that probably has more individual talent than Elder, but they're not going to score a ton on Elder's defense. And would be a low-scoring affair.

If you read the Moeller board or any Moeller poster not named birdog, it's pretty doom and gloom over there. According to them, Moeller is on upset alert this week and that they haven't put together a complete game since they played Elder. But unless X got a whole lot faster defensively, I don't think they have the speed to keep the Moeller offense in check.

I see something similar, maybe 28-14 or 35-21 type game in favor of the Panthers.

Lakota West is a team that probably has more individual talent than Elder, but they're not going to score a ton on Elder's defense. And would be a low-scoring affair.

If you read the Moeller board or any Moeller poster not named birdog, it's pretty doom and gloom over there. According to them, Moeller is on upset alert this week and that they haven't put together a complete game since they played Elder. But unless X got a whole lot faster defensively, I don't think they have the speed to keep the Moeller offense in check.
I think 35-21 is pretty close to where the final score will be.

Elder is 22.5 point favorites according to Yappi's SWO King of the Spread Pick'em. Moeller is 20.5 point favorite over X. Lakota West is 12.5 point favorite over Princeton. Mason is 3.5 point favorite over Springboro. I feel like there is an upset waiting to happen somewhere. I don't have a prediction, just hoping it is not Elder getting upset.

Being at home at The PIT will be a huge advantage if Elder fans actually show up this week. Milford is going to fill the visitor side. I don't think Milford kids will be ready for an atmosphere like The PIT, again if the fans show up.

I'm going with a lower scoring game. Elder 28 Milford 14

All accurate info sir. If I’m wrong, and Moe meets Elder again in 2 weeks, the first round is on me for the Elder posters here. Except for Omar.

Elder is 22.5 point favorites according to Yappi's SWO King of the Spread Pick'em. Moeller is 20.5 point favorite over X. Lakota West is 12.5 point favorite over Princeton. Mason is 3.5 point favorite over Springboro. I feel like there is an upset waiting to happen somewhere. I don't have a prediction, just hoping it is not Elder getting upset.
I think I would take Milford and X to both cover. West blew out Princeton in the regular season, but it was tight at half. Mason should beat Springboro IMO, but I expect a tight game, lower scoring as well.

I think I would take Milford and X to both cover. West blew out Princeton in the regular season, but it was tight at half. Mason should beat Springboro IMO, but I expect a tight game, lower scoring as well.
I think Springboro beats Mason at home. The top 4 survive to round 3