Playoffs R1: #7 Elder(5-5) vs. #10 Colerain(5-5)

Hopefully Elder's offense gives the Colerain D fits.
Probably not. The Colerain D is still really solid with Willis & Jarmon. The OL has been better recently but I still think they’re going to struggle this game.

People seem to forget, a 1 win Fairfield team should’ve beaten Elder last yr in the playoffs at the Pit. Drew Ramsey pretty much single handily won that game. Teams with speed will still hurt Elder.

People seem to forget, a 1 win Fairfield team should’ve beaten Elder last yr in the playoffs at the Pit. Drew Ramsey pretty much single handily won that game. Teams with speed will still hurt Elder.

I don't think anyone is expecting an easy game against Colerain. Fairfield probably surprised most fans last season. I think we were all expecting a more comfortable 2-3 TD win against FF.

Elder is and should be favored against Colerain though.

I envision this being very similar to recent playoff games against Fairfield and Princeton. Back and forth, higher scoring, team with the ball last will probably win the game.

Colgar. I kinda felt bad for him, he must’ve been struggling badly bc he always posted links to his articles on here to drive up traffic for his blog.
Colgar is a good dude. He’s still posting to that blog, so he must be doing OK.

I envision this being very similar to recent playoff games against Fairfield and Princeton. Back and forth, higher scoring, team with the ball last will probably win the game.
Last team with the ball and back and forth, yes. High scoring, no. First to 20 points wins.

If Colerain scores 3 TD they win this game but I don't think they are capable against a decent Defense that doubles down on stopping the FB and forcing the pitch. Elder usually takes the approach vs. Colerain of giving up a few more yards but limiting the big play and forcing the offense to make a mistake. This is the worst OL they have ever had and they still have not found a component Offensive coordinator since Bolden left. This does doesn't mention how atrocious the special teams and FG team are. Its not the worst kicker they've had but the snap and blocking have been an adventure and cost them two games (LE and Princeton). They have had more XPs blocked then made in the past 4 games.

Defense is still lights out and carriers the team. The concern would be that the safeties are both sophomores, which can lead to blown coverages, a complicated Elder offense can exploit. They will get to the passer often but a Mobile Elder QB has always been a bane to Colerain.

I expect a similar outcome to the 2019 Regional Final. Colerain will have a long FB run or two for TD but otherwise struggle offensively. Elder will move the ball but struggle to close a drive against a very good Defense. Elder's Special Teams and ability to control field position will eventually lead to enough short fields that the QB can run for a game sealing score.

Last team with the ball and back and forth, yes. High scoring, no. First to 20 points wins.

If Colerain scores 3 TD they win this game but I don't think they are capable against a decent Defense that doubles down on stopping the FB and forcing the pitch. Elder usually takes the approach vs. Colerain of giving up a few more yards but limiting the big play and forcing the offense to make a mistake. This is the worst OL they have ever had and they still have not found a component Offensive coordinator since Bolden left. This does doesn't mention how atrocious the special teams and FG team are. Its not the worst kicker they've had but the snap and blocking have been an adventure and cost them two games (LE and Princeton). They have had more XPs blocked then made in the past 4 games.

Defense is still lights out and carriers the team. The concern would be that the safeties are both sophomores, which can lead to blown coverages, a complicated Elder offense can exploit. They will get to the passer often but a Mobile Elder QB has always been a bane to Colerain.

I expect a similar outcome to the 2019 Regional Final. Colerain will have a long FB run or two for TD but otherwise struggle offensively. Elder will move the ball but struggle to close a drive against a very good Defense. Elder's Special Teams and ability to control field position will eventually lead to enough short fields that the QB can run for a game sealing score.
I was thinking 35-28, 28-21 type of game. Should have clarified the high scoring comment because that's open to interpretation.

As for your analysis, I think it's spot on. Only exception being that Elder doesn't have a runner like Luebbe, nor do they have an OL like the '19 team had. Elder has struggled with tackling at times this season, so mix in the confusion of the option and I could see the Cards popping off a few long TD runs.

I was thinking 35-28, 28-21 type of game. Should have clarified the high scoring comment because that's open to interpretation.
Colerain has won every game they've scored 20 points. If they get to 20 they will win but they are almost embarrassingly coordinated on offense. They literally lose a timeout at least once a game because the coordinator doesn't get a playcall in or has the wrong personnel on the field. They ran up and down the field on Princeton but tried to be cute and threw 2 ints on two pass plays that killed drives. Then after the FB went for 5+ on every carry and marching 80+ yards, they attempt a gimmick pass play on the 2 point, that was the difference in the game. The QB will be very good but is still just a Sophmore and the OL is awful and tiny. The offense is worse than it was in 2019 when their best offensive player was out hurt for the Elder game, and I thought that that was the worst offense they had in the modern era.

The bright spot is their are 5 to 7 sophomores starting or playing significant roles on the team that could at least challenge Lakota West in the next few seasons.

Colgar is a good dude. He’s still posting to that blog, so he must be doing OK.
Guarantee Colgar is a way better dude than Pboy and knows way more about Football! The Colerain D is pretty good and stingy. Elder will get that figured out early on and win this game.

Guarantee Colgar is a way better dude than Pboy and knows way more about Football! The Colerain D is pretty good and stingy. Elder will get that figured out early on and win this game.
Typically, people who are generating a lot of viewership don’t need to post every article they write to a message board.

Colerain has won every game they've scored 20 points. If they get to 20 they will win but they are almost embarrassingly coordinated on offense. They literally lose a timeout at least once a game because the coordinator doesn't get a playcall in or has the wrong personnel on the field. They ran up and down the field on Princeton but tried to be cute and threw 2 ints on two pass plays that killed drives. Then after the FB went for 5+ on every carry and marching 80+ yards, they attempt a gimmick pass play on the 2 point, that was the difference in the game. The QB will be very good but is still just a Sophmore and the OL is awful and tiny. The offense is worse than it was in 2019 when their best offensive player was out hurt for the Elder game, and I thought that that was the worst offense they had in the modern era.

The bright spot is their are 5 to 7 sophomores starting or playing significant roles on the team that could at least challenge Lakota West in the next few seasons.

I'm pretty confident Elder will slow down their offense, but I know they got the speed especially with Flowers to break some long runs. I expect Elder to give up about 2 long TD runs. I'm more worried about the offense finishing drives this week. I know they will move the ball, but will they finish their drives and get enough TDs is the question. I think Elder should produce a couple fumbles on defense.

I still like Elder 35 Colerain 21.

That would mean Elder gives up multiple big plays to Colerain’s Offense. Cliched, but Elder needs to stick to their assignments and wrap up.

If you can make it to the game, by all means get to The Pit on Friday. However, for those of us who are out of town, will there be a live stream of the game? I'd gladly give Elder a few bucks like we did last year.

If you can make it to the game, by all means get to The Pit on Friday. However, for those of us who are out of town, will there be a live stream of the game? I'd gladly give Elder a few bucks like we did last year.
I'm pretty sure that ENN won't be allowed to stream the game because Spectrum is going to televise (and stream) the game. If you have Spectrum--you have my condolences--but you'll be able to watch the game. Otherwise, it looks like you you'll have to fork over $9.99 to the OHSAA. The OHSAA.tv site hasn't been updated yet, but I think it should be available to watch there.

I'm pretty sure that ENN won't be allowed to stream the game because Spectrum is going to televise (and stream) the game. If you have Spectrum--you have my condolences--but you'll be able to watch the game. Otherwise, it looks like you you'll have to fork over $9.99 to the OHSAA. The OHSAA.tv site hasn't been updated yet, but I think it should be available to watch there.
I have Spectrum internet but that doesn't help for this issue. I'd give Elder the money but otherwise PSRN radio will be good enough.

I have Spectrum internet but that doesn't help for this issue. I'd give Elder the money but otherwise PSRN radio will be good enough.
I hope you listen online. I tried listening to the post game on the way home from x and LaSalle. The 740 signal is weak at best. I was on 75 and was hearing another station better on 740 then 740. I know they are online, but when I leave a game I don't want to mess with my phone, I want in my car and on the road and i don't touch my phone when driving.

I hope you listen online. I tried listening to the post game on the way home from x and LaSalle. The 740 signal is weak at best. I was on 75 and was hearing another station better on 740 then 740. I know they are online, but when I leave a game I don't want to mess with my phone, I want in my car and on the road and i don't touch my phone when driving.
I live between Cleveland and Akron so online is my only option hahahaha

Colerain had some great yappsters back in the day. Colgar and Little Cards Dad (unfortunately has passed away) leap to mind but there were many others. There was one who I think lived in Covedale who was a class act. They were all fun to spar with. ?
Dang, sorry to hear about LCD.....I can remember the back and forth with him back in the day. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

Is Ken Willis playing for Colerain? He wasn’t in the box score vs Princeton.

He did not play vs. Princeton. I would think he will play vs. Elder, but I have not information to back that up.

For those not familiar with Colerain, Ken Willis is a 5'11" 160lb CB committed to UC.

He did not play vs. Princeton. I would think he will play vs. Elder, but I have not information to back that up.

For those not familiar with Colerain, Ken Willis is a 5'11" 160lb CB committed to UC.

In the Lakota West game, he and the Jyarie Brown kid got into it after Brown stole the ball from him mid-air. Nothing major, just minor shoving and in each other's face. Should have been off-setting penalties at worst but the ref only saw Willis retaliating and ejecting him.

I have never seen grown men be larger babies than the referee's in the Lakota West vs. Colerain. There were 6 or 7 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties called and I don't think a single one was legit other than maybe Brown and Willis deserving off-setting penalties. Bolden had one, Cutwright (might have been an assistant) had one, and kids were get them for literally complaining to themselves. Colerain got one for blocking to the whistle and then a few drives later the Tegshoba OL for West got one for blocking to the whistle. Colerain RB did a simple "who me" shrug of shoulder for a split second and you would have thought he threatened the referee the way he threw is flag, stared at the kid, and trudged over to make the call as if he had never seen such an atrocity as a kid with emotions.

Seriously, the most immature / self-important crew / make the game about them crew of referees I had ever seen in a game. Hopefully they aren't assigned to any DI or any playoff games.

On Offense, Elder is going to have get the ball out quickly. I doubt they’ll have much of a run game bw the Tackles, so use Screens as an extension of the run game.