Playoff Time

Behind four goals by Aboud (sp), Ignatius tops Rocky River 7-3. The Cats' 39th win ties the school record for most consecutive wins by any Ignatius team. The Cats now face on Saturday the winner of the Ed's-Shaker game tomorrow. The district final on Saturday, in my admittedly prejudiced view, will be the real state championship game.

The district final on Saturday, in my admittedly prejudiced view, will be the real state championship game.

In most years if you said such a thing you'd be dead wrong, but this year, because of the relative weakness at the top of the Kent and Toledo districts, it's probably spot on.

In most years if you said such a thing you'd be dead wrong, but this year, because of the relative weakness at the top of the Kent and Toledo districts, it's probably spot on.

You're probably right. Northview or St. Johns shouldn't bother to show up in Columbus.

No, Northview-St. Johns winner should go to Columbus just to enjoy the bye that they're going to have in the semifinal game. Notice how Bennies'01 didn't even bother to mention the Columbus district.

I think that Ignatius has now gotten beyond the point that their record is a burden. From this point forward, if they continue to win, they will play solid competition (Ed's or Shaker, Gilmour or US, Northview or TSJ) and a close loss to any of those teams is possible. They can't/won't look beyond the current opponent. They're the favorites but this is a sport where the better team doesn't always win...even when they play reasonably well. So, good luck to the Cats and forget about the record.

You're probably right. Northview or St. Johns shouldn't bother to show up in Columbus.

You know what, I'm going to backtrack here a little bit. I had heard from a second-hand source that Northview had a terrible record against Red North teams, but upon not being lazy and doing my own research, it turns out that they did pretty well. I think they'd have a decent shot against Iggy and probably at least a slight favorite against anyone else.

As azcat points out, however, they will get a bye into the finals which should help them even further.

You know what, I'm going to backtrack here a little bit. I had heard from a second-hand source that Northview had a terrible record against Red North teams, but upon not being lazy and doing my own research, it turns out that they did pretty well. I think they'd have a decent shot against Iggy and probably at least a slight favorite against anyone else.

As azcat points out, however, they will get a bye into the finals which should help them even further.

Correction of some data I collected before (must have been asleep when I did it)...

Northview vs. Red North (3-0-2)

Padua 6-0
Lake 3-3
Ed's 3-2
US 0-0
US 6-0

TSJ v. Red North (3-2-1)

Padua 3-0
Padua 4-3
Lake 5-1
Lake 0-2
Ed's 2-3
US 1-1

Northview has two good wins (Ed's and US). TSJ does not have a win over one of the top Red North teams.

I think that Ignatius has now gotten beyond the point that their record is a burden. From this point forward, if they continue to win, they will play solid competition (Ed's or Shaker, Gilmour or US, Northview or TSJ) and a close loss to any of those teams is possible. They can't/won't look beyond the current opponent. They're the favorites but this is a sport where the better team doesn't always win...even when they play reasonably well. So, good luck to the Cats and forget about the record.

When the football playoffs begin, it is invariably brought up how difficult it is to defeat the same team twice in one season. Now in the hockey playoffs, Ignatius is faced with the situation whether it can defeat the same team four times in a season (either Ed's or Shaker, and then Gilmour) or three times in the case with University. Teams so familiar with Ignatius may well be more dangerous competition than a team like Northview who has yet to see them.

Olentangy Orange won the columbus district. Big upset over Dublin Jerome, but not ever close to as big as the Eds victory over Iggys

Absolutely TSJ. SFS, SJJ and NV have all had very good teams recently. But they are the only teams outside of Cleveland. You have to admit, it certainly has helped all 3 of them them having the "bye" in the 1st round of the frozen four.