PLAYOFF CHAMPS ONLY

Well this thread will have to be ignored by Mentor fans as they do not fit the criteria despite being one of the largest public schools in Ohio for over 40 years.

You sure seem to pay attention to my posts….
If you stay out of trolling our threads and keep your obsession on Mentor down, you wouldn't hear from me

But you are again obsessed with trolling teams of 15-18 year old kids anonymously on a message board while being a supposed well adjusted adult. That says way more about you than it does about the Mentor athletes

If you stay out of trolling our threads and keep your obsession on Mentor down, you wouldn't hear from me

But you are again obsessed with trolling teams of 15-18 year old kids anonymously on a message board while being a supposed well adjusted adult. That says way more about you than it does about the Mentor athletes
Rent free!!!!

St. Joseph is closed unlike Lake Catholic. I would like to hear about the storied tradition of Villa Angela-St. Joseph football.
Crickets. You were so loud on this thread writing in caps for weeks. I want to hear about Villa Angela-St. Joseph football and their football state championships.

Chardon’s Double Overtime comeback win over St. Francis DeSales in the 2020 State Championship game was a great one! Chardon’s wing-T offense miraculously found a way to make some BIG plays to tie the game at 28-28 after being down 28-14 with 7:36 remaining in regulation. Each team blocked the other’s field goal attempt in the first OT. Chardon got the ball first in the 2nd OT and kicked a field goal to take a 31-28 lead. DeSale’s was held to a field goal attempt as well but they missed it wide left. That was a great game.

2010 St Eds 15-0

after many years of having great teams and losing a few close title games the 2010 team broke through.

On a snowy night at Tom Benson stadium they played Braxton Miller who was Vince youngish and almost single handily won that game.

prob the biggest OLine and Dline ever put together in Ohio the talent in the trenches was unmatched.

That team set the tone for the program and what was to come for years.
I recall a Fox 8 spotlight on the OL that year, where it showed that they would have been among some of the top P5 College teams in terms of size. Just a dominant force overall.

I recall a Fox 8 spotlight on the OL that year, where it showed that they would have been among some of the top P5 College teams in terms of size. Just a dominant force overall.
The O line averaged 6-4, 290. With a TE at 6-6 225. Had 3 commits: OSU, Northwestern and Pennsylvania. Other 2 being looked at by Big East and MAC schools. I dont recall where they ended up. Offensive averaged 267 yds per game rushing with 6.1 avg per carry.

The O line averaged 6-4, 290. With a TE at 6-6 225. Had 3 commits: OSU, Northwestern and Pennsylvania. Other 2 being looked at by Big East and MAC schools. I dont recall where they ended up. Offensive averaged 267 yds per game rushing with 6.1 avg per carry.
Kyle Kalis went to Michigan

The 2 other OL went to West Virginia. The TE did convert to OL in college and went to Oklahoma.
As Bad Blake mentioned, Kalis went to Michigan but originally committed to OSU.
That really was an amazing OL.

The 2 other OL went to West Virginia. The TE did convert to OL in college and went to Oklahoma.
As Bad Blake mentioned, Kalis went to Michigan but originally committed to OSU.
That really was an amazing OL.
Sam Grant was the TE that went to Oklahoma.

Jeremy Orlosky went to WVU and I thought would make the NFL. Just goes to show how truly competitive and difficult it is to make it all the way.

Hello and a hardy welcome back to all of you NON-FICTIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!! You know who you are and WE KNOW WHO IS NOT CHARLIE SHEEN. That is to say that this thread is about WINNERS of CHAMPIONSHIPS.
I am calling out these GOLD TROPHY RAISING CHAMPS (CHUMPS STAY OUT).
MOONEY
BENEDICTINE-- one of my favs
MOELLER
SVSM
PRINCETON
STEUBENVILLE
NEWARK CATHOLIC
IGNATIUS
Fake Catholic/3rd Reich Catholic
ST. HENRY
ST. MARYS MEMORIAL
VERSAILLES
MOGADORE
ST. FRANCIS DESALLES
MARION LOCAL
DELPHOSE ST. JOHN
COLDWATER
URSULINE
KIRTLAND
HOBAN
ST. XAVIER
LASALLE
TROTWOOD MADISON
and especially THE PUPS from MCKINLEY
We all want to read about your GLORY.

Last edited:
^^^^
Let‘s make a deal. I will tell you all about Lake Catholic’s 3 State Championship‘s after we hear about your school, Villa Angela-St. Joseph. I have not seen anything on this entire thread about their success on the gridiron? But you have to write in all CAPS.

^^^^
Let‘s make a deal. I will tell you all about Lake Catholic’s 3 State Championship‘s after we hear about your school, Villa Angela-St. Joseph. I have not seen anything on this entire thread about their success on the gridiron? But you have to write in all CAPS.

See post #117 for JOES GLORY. Please, tell all of us about the Cougett's championships.

Kenstons blowout of Archbishop Alter in 2018.It always great when a public school lays the lumber to a private school.My son #75 next to the tropy,I will always have this memory as his untimely passing in 2021.have to hold onto the good times.
RIP Butch

Attachments

• B5C67BB2-C71E-419D-877E-7571D5A38F76.png
    B5C67BB2-C71E-419D-877E-7571D5A38F76.png
    776.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Kenstons blowout of Archbishop Alter in 2018.It always great when a public school lays the lumber to a private school.My son #75 next to the tropy,I will always have this memory as his untimely passing in 2021.have to hold onto the good times.
Heart hurting for you and your family. Keep reliving the great memories of your son. That will keep you going in life. I am so sorrowful. Please, BE WELL.

To all of you competitors out there, learn from this story. Enjoy those moments of accomplishment because life can be cruel, unfair and short.

Last edited:
He was a big risk/big reward coach. In 2005 he faked the typing PAT and the holder rolled out and dove into the end zone for the 2 point conversion with about a buck to go in the state semifinal game against Newark Catholic. SCC wins 36-35.

Post script. When I got back on the bus the HC father was seated in the front. I knew who he was. There weren't a lot of other folks who did because the majority of people getting on the bus talked about how dumb the play call was given the situation. I thought there could be a problem but his dad didn't say a word.

End of the day that state championship trophy is still on display in the case on the 1st floor of Catholic Central.
I was at the '05 Final 4 game SCC vs NC game & I have long thought the ball was dangerously close to not crossing the line. I also believe the refs were even fooled by the call - not in position to see - he jumped with his back to the goal line & the ball was in his front belly - I'm not saying it was the worst call of all time but thought it was too close for a shot to win a final 4 game. I also thought if SCC was going for the win they would line up for a 2pt play - not run a fake PAT - but it worked & they earned it. Congrats to Catholic Central - gutsy call with a state appearance on the line.

Speaking of SCC/NC final 4 games - I played in the '93 game @ Zanesville.

Now that was a weird ending.
SCC had the ball up 19-15 with just seconds left and just had to kneel the ball to secure victory - the punter who was QB got the ball snapped to him & FORGOT TO KNEEL/GO DOWN - threw the ball BACKWARDS & began to celebrate - NC players went after the ball to try to pick it up & score but before they reached it - the ball was picked up by a SCC fan on the 5 yard line....our guys tackled him and ran the ball into the endzone...mass confusion took place. We stayed on the field for what felt like an eternity. Our coach tried to appeal to OHSAA but was denied a few days later. I've always thought - we had no business winning that game on a player's momentarily lapse of judgement but what a way to end a season...

Found this from SCC site (http://steubenvillecentralcrusaders.com/ArticlePage.aspx?ArticleID=433)
"Zanesville was the site for the semi-final match against Newark Catholic, a program rich in tradition and owners of a 12-0 record. In a game played in cold, steady rain on a muddy field, the Green Wave scored first, less than three minutes into the contest, after recovering a fumble at Central’s 23 yard line. Orlando noted, "They scored early and we could have folded, but we didn’t." Central moved ahead 12-8 on a pair of Orlando touchdown passes. The second, a 50 yard strike to Connor, was described by Coach Spence this way. "They started to creep up. Mike Orlando pump faked and hit him." Newark Catholic replied with a score of their own early in the final period to lead 15-12.

Central countered with a 65 yard drive, keyed by a spectacular 37 yard over-the-shoulder catch by Thorn, a play called by Orlando "one of the best catches in school history." Coach Spence added, "It was third and 12. He made an over-the-shoulder catch looking up with rain and snow coming down in his face." The Crusaders scored to take the lead 19-15.

With Central facing a fourth down at mid field with four seconds remaining, one more bit of drama was in store. As the team lined up in punt formation, Orlando took the snap intending to run the clock out. Instead he ran backwards and threw the ball in the air, and a fan touched the ball in bounds near Central’s goal line. He explained, "My mind reverted to basketball." Coach Lemal related the emotions at that instant: "I was so nervous that we may have blown it. There was a big huddle with the referees." The officials ruled the game over, as the ball was touched by a fan with no time remaining. Central would be going to the finals."

Who's ready for football to start back up?!