Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

What a show this inning turned into. Thanks, Newman

Ha, didn't know they were playing this afternoon, just saw the score. So did Newman make all 3 errors? I THINK DEFENSE MORE THAN PITCHING OR HITTING WILL BE THIS TEAMS DOWNFALL. (CAPS LOCK TOO LAZY TO FIX)

Yeah and they were brutal. Then Taillon took one off the dome and left the game.

Crap game all around. Defense sucked. Pitching sucked. Hitting produced nothing.

Lyles on the mound tomorrow against Darvish.

Archer received a 5 game suspension for the Dietrich incident. I believe he's appealing, not that is should matter with the number of off-days they have coming up in the next week.

Tough one to take with Scherzer on the mound tomorrow. Taillon needs to bring his best stuff.

Leading after 6, in 2018 the Pirates lost 3 games the entire season. They've lost 3 already this season. Really surprising how this bullpen has performed so far this season. It's supposed to be a strength.

Crick is off the IL and back with the team. Kramer sent down. Hopefully that helps with their late inning struggles.

4.19.19 Bucs in first place by pct. points after Brewers loss last night. Hopefully get Polanco and Dickerson back soon to add some punch to the line up.

I expect Polanco, Dickerson, Chisenhall, and Diaz will be back by the end of the month. Maybe even next weekend.

Tough pitching matchup tonight with Lyles facing Bumgarner. Too much to ask to beat Scherzer and MadBum in one week?

4 in the first and then nothing but the starting pitching has been amazing. No weak links right now. Have you heard anything about Marte/Gonzalez?

Diaz should be the starting catcher, TBH. If Cervelli had a video game rating of 80 last season, he's a 70 this season. He's completely tanked. Some time on the bench might do him some good.

They placed Stallings on the 10-day when they brought up Diaz, and sent Brault down to AAA to make room for Polanco.

Have to feel terrible for Burdi. Just xompleted the come back from TJ this season. Hopefully it's not an elbow injury, it looked like he was grabbing his biceps.

Just when it seemed like the bullpen had settled down, they turn 4-1 lead into a 12-4 loss.

Checked around the 6th and Bucs were up 4-1. Ran some errands, checked again at 10 pm and its 12-4. i'm like huh?

Have to feel terrible for Burdi. Just xompleted the come back from TJ this season. Hopefully it's not an elbow injury, it looked like he was grabbing his biceps.

Just when it seemed like the bullpen had settled down, they turn 4-1 lead into a 12-4 loss.

Yeah, that did not look good. Hopefully, it's just the strained biceps.

Seeing him fall to the mound brought back bad memories of the pitcher who broke his arm while pitching and was later diagnosed with cancer. Dave Dravecky per goog.

The Pirates had a bases loaded, 0 outs situation with Cabrera, Moran (PH for Kang), and Bell up. The first two popped up, moving no one. Bell struck out swinging at garbage. As a team, they are now 0-16 in bases-loaded situations. Inexcusable.

I really think this boils down to Hurdle and the approach he takes and wants from his hitters. They've changed the hitting coach multiple times, same problem. It doesn't seem to matter how much or little quality they have in a lineup, they score very little. Somehow, year after year, they rank in the top half in the league in BA yet near the bottom in runs. If this was just a one year thing, I wouldn't point the finger at the manager, but this has been on-going for years.

Bucs tried to give one away today in the late innings. All in all, a good game to watch though.

With Taillon and Archer on the IL, they've been forced to roll with Steven Brault and Nick Kingham for this 2-gamer with the Rangers. Brault had the mound tonight. He's had a rough season, having earned himself a ticket to AAA before Burdi's injury.

The offense started out frustratingly with both Marte and Polanco being caught at 2B in the 1st inning, likely negating a run. However, the rest of the game played out well, with the offense plating 5, including a 2 RBI PH double from Melky Cabrera - it was an uncharacteristically bold PH move by Hurdle as he made it in the 4th in place of Brault.

Brault pitched reasonably well. 4 innings, 2 ER. 50ish pitches. Probably would have gone into the 6th if Hurdle hadn't pulled him.

It feels like they stole one tonight given who was on the mound and how the offense has been performing. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come from the offense. They're going to need it with a tough road trip coming up against the Cardinals, Dbacks, and Padres.

Despite some early sloppiness in the field, just enough hitting and pitching to eke out a win over the Cards.

Taillon moved to the 60-day IL.

Kang to the IL with a "side strain". Likely just an excuse to not DFA him at this point. Jake Elmore is up to take his active roster spot.

Definitely good news to be getting Archer back this week. I couldn't watch Brault make another start. Just brutal.

They've been losing pretty badly lately. The injuries are taking their toll, I think. Archer looked terrible and probably should have had at least one rehab start in AAA.

This injury thing these days is unreal. I caught a glimpse of the Yankees list and it looked like 10-12 guys. Not that I care about the Yanks. :)

Got to like what the Bucs are doing, 24-20 despite 2o players being on IL thru 44 games including their top 3 starters. Can they keep it up? not sure. It would be nice to see what they have with everyone healthy.