Pickerington Central

4GX

Well (as began to be anticipated, starting about ~6 weeks ago), it's PC in the final-- a rematch of that memorable semi-final in Piqua 4 years ago-- Can (a) Clifford slay the dragon, again?

My thought: Not without playing a helluva a lot better than X did these last two weeks... (thank you, Capt. Obvious).

Offense is certainly capable. Clean up our mistakes. Defense is playing lights out. We have made plays on special teams. Let's play our best game possible and take our chances. Only two teams left with a chance to be best in Ohio.

McCaughey needs to get his swagger back. He's playing tentative and trying to force things.

Saw Parker up right towards the end of the game, no boot or crutches, but had a limp, so hopefully he can be back. Time to research PC

The offense is in a funk and needs to get it together. They were rolling until the LW game and since then they seem shell shocked. They are not used to being shutdown as they were in the LW game and the offense has lost its confidence.

Lakota West and Springfield are the two best defenses StX has seen all season long. In both cases the StX WRs got pushed around. I expect PC to watch the game film from both games and they two will man up on Clifford and Patterson and play everyone else in Zone. StX has to figure out how to carve it up. LW and Springfield also are the two fastest teams StX has played all season. Springfield had incredible closing speed on Defense and their tackling was impressive. StX has to stop dropping balls as well. There were several nice passes last night that were dropped

The last two weeks we have been burned by a defensive scheme that we hadn't seen all year before then - rush 3, drop 8 - man on the outside, zone over the middle. I think you can bet Pickerington is going to do the same - up to Coverdale to figure out a way to burn it (got to be a way to run against it) and the kids to execute. Pretty sure a third week of one TD won't get it done...

Agree, when only 7 or 6 in the box have to be able to run. Parker did something to foot, was out from early 3Q on. that hurts, and I'd guess part of why couldn't get a yard when needed. Looked like J. Renneker kicked to center and Soph #66 came in at guard. Hope Parker can play, he has been consistent and seems to be a leader.

On defense this week the most important player on the field will be Gio, if he can stay on lateral in the line of scrimmage and demand a double team it will let Devine do what he does they have a chance to slow Pick Central down. If he gets too deep in the backfield it will create lanes for the ball carrier and allow the O-line to get to the second level.

any scouting reports.? Looks like QB going to N'westerrn as DB, RB going to ND and son of NFL alum. both had big games in semis.

any scouting reports.? Looks like QB going to N'westerrn as DB, RB going to ND and son of NFL alum. both had big games in semis.
From what I've seen around, the QB is a convert from safety, big kid, solid runner, not a great thrower- game manager type. RB is a MAC (Bowling Green?) commit, good stats, power running game, from highlights doesn't seem to have break-away speed, but is solid. Styles Jr. plays WR and DB, he is their big play guy, but from the PC fans it sounds like he may be underused on offense. He is definitely a game breaker in the open field. He is a big weapon on kickoffs and punts, so X will need to be very careful there. from what I can see in highlights on hudl, there are a lot of jumbo type formations, 6 on the line, bunched close, plus an H back, and bringing more people to the point of attack than you can defend. Seems like the complete opposite of the X attack. Defense is going to have to stay disciplined and tackle well, and the 3 linemen are really going to have to hold their space at the point of attack so the LB's can get in. I imagine X will crash Kirk as well.

Defense plays with a lot of the same philosophy, bring more guys than you have. They play with a downhill attacking attitude, and they bring pressure from all over the place, usually 5-6 guys per play. LB's are almost always making their first step forward, and the defense relies on penetration and pressure. It will be interesting to see how X handles this style if they continue to bring it, which I expect they will. The O-Line has been great in pass blocking, but they will have to stay organized and cohesive. Looks like a LB is coming off of at least one edge per play, so there may be opportunities for traps/ draws/ counters in the run game, but the outside zones and sweeps are going to be tough. Looks like the middle of the field is open quite a bit, especially in the 15 yard and shorter area. I would love to see some true RB screens this week, and I think Klare could have a big game. Clifford is going to probably be matched up with Styles, which will be fun. I would really like to see them use him on quick slants (the old 82 wide pop) when Styles is playing back. I'm just hoping they runs slants and crosses for the 3 wr's regularly, I think those will be available, and all have shown good hands and the ability to run after catch.

Honestly, I think PC may have more talent on the whole, but this is a better matchup x's and o's wise for StX. If X scores 28+, I think they win, especially if they get out early, and force PC to drop people into coverage on defense, and force them out of the power run game on offense. Honestly, Coverdale can win or lose this game for X with how he attacks what the PC defense is doing. What also helped X against SHS that I could see happening against PC is winning the emotional battle, especially when X has the ball. They can't let PC get into that feeding frenzy where they are coming full speed in attack on every play.

Reactions: 4GX
From what I've seen around, the QB is a convert from safety, big kid, solid runner, not a great thrower- game manager type. RB is a MAC (Bowling Green?) commit, good stats, power running game, from highlights doesn't seem to have break-away speed, but is solid. Styles Jr. plays WR and DB, he is their big play guy, but from the PC fans it sounds like he may be underused on offense. He is definitely a game breaker in the open field. He is a big weapon on kickoffs and punts, so X will need to be very careful there. from what I can see in highlights on hudl, there are a lot of jumbo type formations, 6 on the line, bunched close, plus an H back, and bringing more people to the point of attack than you can defend. Seems like the complete opposite of the X attack. Defense is going to have to stay disciplined and tackle well, and the 3 linemen are really going to have to hold their space at the point of attack so the LB's can get in. I imagine X will crash Kirk as well.

Defense plays with a lot of the same philosophy, bring more guys than you have. They play with a downhill attacking attitude, and they bring pressure from all over the place, usually 5-6 guys per play. LB's are almost always making their first step forward, and the defense relies on penetration and pressure. It will be interesting to see how X handles this style if they continue to bring it, which I expect they will. The O-Line has been great in pass blocking, but they will have to stay organized and cohesive. Looks like a LB is coming off of at least one edge per play, so there may be opportunities for traps/ draws/ counters in the run game, but the outside zones and sweeps are going to be tough. Looks like the middle of the field is open quite a bit, especially in the 15 yard and shorter area. I would love to see some true RB screens this week, and I think Klare could have a big game. Clifford is going to probably be matched up with Styles, which will be fun. I would really like to see them use him on quick slants (the old 82 wide pop) when Styles is playing back. I'm just hoping they runs slants and crosses for the 3 wr's regularly, I think those will be available, and all have shown good hands and the ability to run after catch.

Honestly, I think PC may have more talent on the whole, but this is a better matchup x's and o's wise for StX. If X scores 28+, I think they win, especially if they get out early, and force PC to drop people into coverage on defense, and force them out of the power run game on offense. Honestly, Coverdale can win or lose this game for X with how he attacks what the PC defense is doing. What also helped X against SHS that I could see happening against PC is winning the emotional battle, especially when X has the ball. They can't let PC get into that feeding frenzy where they are coming full speed in attack on every play.
Sounds like the big keys will be the big guys— the front 6 on defense (more than DBs) on defense, and offensive line (more than receivers) on offense— oh, yeah, and that other position (QB)— he and the OC have to have good games. Does anyone know if X’s center will be back (at 100%)?

Sounds like the big keys will be the big guys— the front 6 on defense (more than DBs) on defense, and offensive line (more than receivers) on offense— oh, yeah, and that other position (QB)— he and the OC have to have good games. Does anyone know if X’s center will be back (at 100%)?
Any indication on whether X’s center is back to 100%?

Hasn’t practiced all week...
That's a big loss if he can't go. I don't think his back up performed poorly last week, nor the soph that came in at guard, but I would rather have the all GCL 2 year starter in. Maybe they were hoping it would heal through the week, and he can get in tonight.

Yes, does it matter? Don’t agree with kneeling, but that is what makes America Great. You have a right to kneel if that is what you want. Quit making it an issue and it will go away.

Half time 44 to 3 X. Let's go Bombers
Well, that was a nice performance and all— but it was pretty obvious, going into the game, that X shouldn’t kick the ball in bounds to Styles— so, of course, after putting the opening kickoff in the end zone, X put the next three kicks (in succession): 5 yards short, on the line, and on the line— which is what allowed Styles to return one ~70 yards, to set up PC’s first score— just THINK what could have been, had X only just kicked it out of bounds...?

And then Devine totally forgot to block anybody, as he ran down the sideline (with his hands up in the air above his head) alongside Gabe on that punt return— which then allowed the two PC defenders, who were chasing Gabe, to catch up to him and make a tackle on Gabe at the goal line— the coaches really GOTTA get these fine points cleaned up!?

?

Well, that was a nice performance and all— but it was pretty obvious, going into the game, that X shouldn’t kick the ball in bounds to Styles— so, of course, after putting the opening kickoff in the end zone, X put the next three kicks (in succession): 5 yards short, on the line, and on the line— which is what allowed Styles to return one ~70 yards, to set up PC’s first score— just THINK what could have been, had X only just kicked it out of bounds...?

And then Devine totally forgot to block anybody, as he ran down the sideline (with his hands up in the air above his head) alongside Gabe on that punt return— which then allowed the two PC defenders, who were chasing Gabe, to catch up to him and make a tackle on Gabe at the goal line— the coaches really GOTTA get these fine points cleaned up!?

?

Lighten up Francis.
And nobody, I mean NOBODY, intentionally kicks kickoffs out of bounds. You can squib or try pooches, directional kicks, but NOBODY kicks it out of bounds. I am OK with Klare trying to kick it through the end zone, almost all of them were close.

Regardless, you whining like a little girl when we went into halftime 44-3 is a bad look.

Lighten up Francis.
And nobody, I mean NOBODY, intentionally kicks kickoffs out of bounds. You can squib or try pooches, directional kicks, but NOBODY kicks it out of bounds. I am OK with Klare trying to kick it through the end zone, almost all of them were close.

Regardless, you whining like a little girl when we went into halftime 44-3 is a bad look.
I KNEW YOU wouldn’t get it... thankfully, other more perceptive (and less vituperative) posters did/do...