Peyton Ramsey/Tommy Kraemer - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mean while ... back at the topic ... Peyton Ramsey/Tommy Kraemer - NFL Draft

I have not checked out Detroit's or Carolina's rosters. Does Ramsey and/or Kraemer have a chance to make their teams ?

Considering Carolina's QB situation, I wouldn't rule it out. He's competing against Darnold, Grier, Walker and Tommy Stevens. Think Grier's time should be up in Carolina, so I'm sure he's got an outside to possibly make the team as the 3rd QB behind Darnold and Walker.

Mean while ... back at the topic ... Peyton Ramsey/Tommy Kraemer - NFL Draft

I have not checked out Detroit's or Carolina's rosters. Does Ramsey and/or Kraemer have a chance to make their teams ?

Teams don’t sign Players that “don’t have a chance” to make the Team in their mind. Personally think Kraemer will “stick” before Ramsey, especially in Detroit.

For Ramsey, there seems to be conflicting reports if he signed as an undrafted free agent or if he was invited to their rookie minicamp to tryout. This year teams are only allowed to invite 5 extra players to their rookie minicamp. Either way, he is getting a good opportunity to show what he can do and catch on. Carolina has Sam Darnold, Will Grier, P.J. Walker, Tommy Stevens, and Ramsey.

Darnold - former #1 overall pick is locked in as starter
Grier - former 3rd round pick. Did not play well in 2 games started his rookie season. Did not play a snap last season.
Walker - originally signed as undrafted FA with colts and was on their practice squad 2 seasons. Spent time with Houston Roughnecks in XFL before that season was cut short due to covid. Caught on with Carolina in 2020. He did not play well in a couple games with Carolina, but some prefer him over Grier as the backup.
Stevens - drafted by Saints as a tight end. Eventually let go by Saints and picked up by Carolina to practice squad. He actually was activated for a game last season and played some snaps at QB.

I think Grier and Walker battle it out for the backup job. Grier will get a good shot being a former 3rd round pick. Walker has in his favor that the Carolina Head Coach Matt Rhule was his head coach when he was at Temple.

I think they keep 3 QBs Darnold, Grier, Walker and I predict Stevens gets released eventually and Ramsey impresses and gets signed to practice squad.

Can we assume that part of the decision in all FA signings that salary plays a role in who they keep and who they replace with a rookie FA salary? If the players are equal or close in talent, my guess is that the salary would factor in to rollover a new spot on the roster with younger talent regardless of the position they play.

Carolina invited another QB to rookie camp. Their rookie camp starts this weekend. My money is on Ramsey to prevail.

The Panthers invited undrafted quarterback Kevin Thomson to try out at this week’s rookie minicamp, according to a report by Tom Pelissero at NFL Network. Thomson (6-foot-1, 200 pounds) had an eventful amateur career, playing at three different schools: Sacramento State, UNLV and Washington.

Overcoming injuries has been a theme with Thomson, who was expected to start for the Huskies last seaason but suffered an undisclosed injury and lost the job to Dylan Morris. He has also had issues with his back and a Tommy John surgery. Now 26 years old, the 2021 season would have been his eighth year of college eligibility, which he’s forgoing.

Thomson’ primary competition will most likely come from Northwestern QB Peyton Ramsey, one of several undrafted free agents that Carolina is reportedly signing. Other quarterbacks who are in the mix for a spot at the bottom end of the depth chart include Tommy Stevens and Will Grier.

Rookie camp for Carolina Panthers

LEARNING ON THE FLY
Rookie minicamp can be a bit of a blur for all the new players. It's even more challenging for the quarterbacks who are also trying to audition for an actual job.
Since they didn't draft or sign one, the Panthers brought in a pair of passers for tryouts this weekend — since you need a couple of quarterbacks to make a practice work.
Northwestern's Peyton Ramsey and Washington's Kevin Thomson have to come in cold, learn enough of the playbook to be functional, and hopefully impress the coaches enough to earn a chance to hang around.
"You don't have any time to mess around," Ramsey said. "You get an opportunity over the weekend, they gave me a playbook with some base install, and I did my best to learn it as fast I could and come back to the meeting the next day and shoot it back to them. Not a ton of time to do so, but I'm doing my best to impress anybody and trying to do the little things right."

mo2v5b0encufycvzj86j.jpg

It's early but Tommy Kraemer is penciled in as a back up at Right Guard on the Detriot Lions Depth Chart.

Right guard
And a nice write up on his chances.

It's early but Tommy Kraemer is penciled in as a back up at Right Guard on the Detriot Lions Depth Chart.

Right guard

I was just checking for updates this morning. Kraemer still on the roster heading to training camp.

It looks like Peyton has not yet signed with any team. Injuries will happen so hopefully he will get his chance in a training camp somewhere. If not, there are other leagues that will give him an opportunity, and if he performs well he can catch on in the NFL if he still wants to pursue a professional football career.

Right guard

Wow, that’s a very encouraging write-up - good for him.

If this was a competitive process, and he was the best qualified candidate for the job, I have no issue. I will admit, I don’t know the facts, but I also don’t remember seeing any communications or ads for a social studies teacher or a football coach.

and honestly, it’s fine if they handed this to him, but stop vilifying me for saying that certain people within the circle arent granted unlimited opportunities. Just be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.