Pete

boothmark77

It seems as if Pete makes things worse as time has gone by—about everything. Is he in your HOF, if you are in charge?

Agreed, he makes everything worse. And I was a huge fan of his when I was a kid in the 1970's.

Did you hear the clips of him on the TV broadcast when they had him in the booth? He told a story about when Tony Perez said he hit a "cock-high fastball" and when he told Morgan about it, the reply was "no sh__t". Just right on the air with no regard to the fact that he was on TV. https://www.outkick.com/pete-roses-crazy-stories-on-live-tv-send-broadcasters-running-scared/

Put simply, Pete is just ignorant white trash who happened to be really good at hitting a baseball.

It seems as if Pete makes things worse as time has gone by—about everything. Is he in your HOF, if you are in charge?
Yes. There are a number of dirtbags in the Baseball HoF. How you like Fergy Jenkins throwing out 1st Pitch last night at Field of Dreams?

Kind of wondered the same thing. I did read up on him. I appears things hasn't changed as much as we thought over time.

In 1972 Jenkins was suspended by the commissioner indefinitely for having cocaine, hash and marijuana. However, an independent arbitrator ruled lack of evidence and Jenkins was only out of baseball for 2 weeks.
Yes. There are a number of dirtbags in the Baseball HoF. How you like Fergy Jenkins throwing out 1st Pitch last night at Field of Dreams?

Kind of wondered the same thing. I did read up on him. I appears things hasn't changed as much as we thought over time.

In 1972 Jenkins was suspended by the commissioner indefinitely for having cocaine, hash and marijuana. However, an independent arbitrator ruled lack of evidence and Jenkins was only out of baseball for 2 weeks.
Pretty sure he was convicted a few times for possession of cocaine and nothing ever really happened to him.

Never liked him as a player when I was a kid and was in love with all things baseball. I don’t really know why? I just wasn’t into the Charlie Hustle crap, I guess. I liked some of the Reds, especially Concepcion and Bench. I liked other players who were not saints, like Richie Allen, Dave Parker and Steve Garvey to name a few. Just something about Pete always rubbed me the wrong way.

As an adult I have complete appreciation for how great Pete was at baseball. Played any position his teams needed him…second base, outfield, third base, first base…and played all of them at an all star level. Pete was a baseball savant.

As an adult I also realize Pete was, and still is, a scumbag. He just is. Complete white trash. He should be in the HOF, but he violated the one rule of the game that is not ever allowed to be violated. He will never be in the HOF because of it and it will gnaw at him until the day he dies.

One of the best baseball players of all time, period. Should be in the hall of fame without any doubt. I’m quite certain the majority that are in the hall of fame aren’t choir boys. Is Pete a dyck? Probably, but being a good guy should have zero bearing on hall of fame eligibility

One of the best baseball players of all time, period. Should be in the hall of fame without any doubt. I’m quite certain the majority that are in the hall of fame aren’t choir boys. Is Pete a dyck? Probably, but being a good guy should have zero bearing on hall of fame eligibility
Well, we are in a time when we have a football player being punished by his own league for sexually assaulting women without actually having sexually assaulted women. We have a baseball pitcher being banned for two years for perverse, but consensual, sex acts. In today’s me too/woke environment don’t expect MLB to cut Pete any breaks.

Well, we are in a time when we have a football player being punished by his own league for sexually assaulting women without actually having sexually assaulted women. We have a baseball pitcher being banned for two years for perverse, but consensual, sex acts. In today’s me too/woke environment don’t expect MLB to cut Pete any breaks.
Oh he’s never going to see the HOF, doesn’t take away from the fact that he deserves to be there based on his career

As with many things in our lives, you can only deal with the facts you know at the time and on a case by case basis. To me, it makes no difference who got in the hall before Pete and what they were like. Eras in the past didn't air players dirty laundry, the media just reported on the game itself - OTHER than gambling - White Sox scandal.
So MLB is on more than solid ground keeping Pete out for the gambling alone. The other stuff is just additional things now that have come up the last decade.

Yes, no question!!! No one has an unblemished personal life!