Perry Boys Basketball

Perry has a great tradition of success in many sports, just not basketball. They have had some impressive individual players recently though. The right coach might be able to turn things around.

Perry has a great tradition of success in many sports, just not basketball. They have had some impressive individual players recently though. The right coach might be able to turn things around.
He’s an outstanding coach. The cupboard pretty bare since he’s been there. Also, Football has dominated most of the off season basketball training, thus the skill level there has suffered. If you played football, you were basically told you couldn’t do much basketball in the spring and summer. Hopefully Perry basketball returns at some point.

I agree with you, I too thought he was the right one.

Buts lets be honest here, anyone who saw perry games the last couple of years looked like ISO Ball where one player had the ball, and everyone else had a limited role in that offense. This season they went 1-22, and from what I saw this year, the JV team was not overly strong and I don't think they have a strong senior class coming in. Not sure with just basketball, but Perry had one of the worst sports years I am sure in school history this year in the Big 4 sports. As always, Wrestling did good. But the other three sports, not so well.

Perry Basketball 1-22 (No Federal League Wins)
Perry Football 2-8 (No Federal League Wins)
Baseball 8-15

Hopefully basketball and the other sports can get back to some winning ways that Perry is known for.

I agree with you, I too thought he was the right one.

Buts lets be honest here, anyone who saw perry games the last couple of years looked like ISO Ball where one player had the ball, and everyone else had a limited role in that offense. This season they went 1-22, and from what I saw this year, the JV team was not overly strong and I don't think they have a strong senior class coming in. Not sure with just basketball, but Perry had one of the worst sports years I am sure in school history this year in the Big 4 sports. As always, Wrestling did good. But the other three sports, not so well.

Perry Basketball 1-22 (No Federal League Wins)
Perry Football 2-8 (No Federal League Wins)
Baseball 8-15

Hopefully basketball and the other sports can get back to some winning ways that Perry is known for.
They’ll come back with the right hire and a couple of good back to back classes. As I stated above , if basketball is completely dominated by football in the off season, it will always be average in all the other sports.

Talk around the water cooler at work that Larry Taylor's name was mentioned as a candidate, anybody? also heard 2 other candidates were contacted but both said no thanks

Could be a good job, eventually , but Spurgeon is a good coach and it’s become a dumpster fire ?

Work to do but Spurgeon was a big reason it became a dumpster fire.
Don’t know what happened. He’s always had success. Maybe his heart wasn’t in it last couple years. Thought it would be a good fit, but obviously not.

CD9499FA-5AEC-4088-97EB-50F60337DEEC.jpeg

This past season the leading scorer from the JV team the year before, who can dunk, didn’t come out. I don’t know why, but it wasn’t because the football coach told him not to, that’s BS.
I feel there’s a good nucleus of players including sophomores to be, 6-5 Luke Wolf ( a football player), Kyson Walker(football player), Nehemiah Toles, senior to be Joel Brown, Luka Miller and Payton Wengerd. I’m missing someone, so I apologize. Are they going to contend for the FLC, doubtful, but I feel with the right leadership, they will be respectable again. If Basham comes back out and what’s stated above is true and he brings his son, who averaged 20 points a game, they will be ok.

This past season the leading scorer from the JV team the year before, who can dunk, didn’t come out. I don’t know why, but it wasn’t because the football coach told him not to, that’s BS.
I feel there’s a good nucleus of players including sophomores to be, 6-5 Luke Wolf ( a football player), Kyson Walker(football player), Nehemiah Toles, senior to be Joel Brown, Luka Miller and Payton Wengerd. I’m missing someone, so I apologize. Are they going to contend for the FLC, doubtful, but I feel with the right leadership, they will be respectable again. If Basham comes back out and what’s stated above is true and he brings his son, who averaged 20 points a game, they will be ok.
How you end all of this nonsense about coaches telling players not to go out for a sport is once you hear of this by the AD is to investigate, and then if true fire the offending coach period no questions axed, then your other sports programs will flourish

How you end all of this nonsense about coaches telling players not to go out for a sport is once you hear of this by the AD is to investigate, and then if true fire the offending coach period no questions axed, then your other sports programs will flourish
You don't think some ADs aren't supporting a football program to the point that they don't care at all that their football coach is telling kids not to play other sports?

You don't think some ADs aren't supporting a football program to the point that they don't care at all that their football coach is telling kids not to play other sports?
Exactly , but some AD’s just schedule games, officials, busing and May be ticket takers at some events. Some don’t have as much power as you think or simply don’t want to be conformational. Not the same job as 20 years ago. Too many parents running sports or the schools and Not enough strong administrators or Boards to confront some of these issues.

Last edited:
The Perry School Board made it official earlier today with the hiring of Mickey Sabin as the new head boys basketball coach.

Agree with what your saying but it's still not right, how many of these players actually get the elusive scholly? not many I'd bet, you don't know how good you could be in another sport if you don't play other sports is all I'm saying