Parma Senior closing after 2022-23

Haven’t seen this on here yet. It’s been long rumored.

Should have some interesting fallout in NE Ohio as far as realignment among larger school conferences.
That seems a long way down the road. Right now they'd have two high schools and probably stay where they are.

That seems a long way down the road. Right now they'd have two high schools and probably stay where they are.
I guess it depends how they divide the students. If Valley Forge got a large amount and Normandy only got a few, for example, VF might get too big for the Great Lakes and might have to go to the LEL or GCC as early as the Fall of 2023.

Looks like this upcoming year will be the last school year at three high schools with 23-24 going down to two high schools, then at some point consolidating into one school assuming they can pass a bond issue to construct the one high school.

For there to be a football conference issue, Valley Forge and/or Normandy would have to demonstrate that they are dominating the GLC to a point where the other schools don't want them around.

I guess it depends how they divide the students. If Valley Forge got a large amount and Normandy only got a few, for example, VF might get too big for the Great Lakes and might have to go to the LEL or GCC as early as the Fall of 2023.
GCC has 8 schools and is set. Don't need 9. Isn't our job to take in every school. They can go to your swc with Berea and Elyria. You guys should take Lorain too

Interesting but not terribly surprising. This past school year Parma City had just over 3,300 students in grades 9-12. Five years ago they had just over 3,600. Ten years ago they had just over 4,200 kids in grades 9-12. So in the last decade they've lost 25% of their high school enrollment.

With all 3 high schools including 8th graders in their respective buildings I wonder what happens to the 8th graders going forward? Back down to the middle schools?

I wonder if and when they get down to one high school if the name Parma Senior comes back?

To be honest here, this is a move that has nothing to with football or athletics. Parma could care less what conference they are in as long as they aren’t getting dog walked by more competitive schools. They would not go to the LEL. They wouldn’t be invited to the SWC. GCC wouldn’t take them unless the rapture was to happened with current schools. They will be just fine in the GLC. By the time things unfold (2-3 years) the landscape of the GLC could be completely different. Who knows what the leagues will even look like in 2024 and beyond.

Last edited:
To be honest here, this is a move that has nothing to with football or athletics. Parma could care less what conference they are in as long as they aren’t getting dog walked by more competitive schools. They would not go to the LEL. They wouldn’t be invited to the SWC. GCC wouldn’t take them unless the was the rapture happened with other current schools. They will be just fine in the GLC. By the time things unfold (2-3 years) the landscape of the GLC could be completely different. Who know what the leagues will even look like in 2024 and beyond.

Completely agree on all points

It doesn’t have to be the 2 remaining Parma schools moving though. There will be an open spot in the GLC that would cause movement to fill. What if others currently in the league decide that the 2 remaining schools are too large and look elsewhere?

It is interesting because in, say, 5-6 years there will probably be one Division 1 school in Parma, and the GLC might not be a great place for them. We shall see. GCC makes sense at that size and location, unless Parma continues shrinking. I'd think that shrinkage would level off a bit.

I wonder if and when they get down to one high school if the name Parma Senior comes back?
Lorain did that. I think Parma High School makes the most sense, when they get to that point. It does not necesarily mean a huge tax increase to get a new school built. The savings of more efficient and fewer buildings will help with the payoff. I am sure they are actively running numbers. The sooner they build the better.

So is the GCC. Since your buddy brought us up I figured I'd lend them the swc suggestion instead. They'd compete better there then in the GCC which some schools fled
No shade at all. Just saying. The GCC how it was originally constructed was never a permanent solution. It was a league of misfits band together much like the GLC. Most schools are traditionally more competitive in football but nonetheless. Like Elyria, once better situations become available teams would and will leave. This is true for the west side schools and Solon. Euclid and Shaker are different situations obviously. GCC is a great league regardless it just has an expiration date unfortunately.

On another note some people are OBSESSED with conference realignment and no matter the topic will be pushing personal preferences and stirring the pot ?. I stick to the credible sources and news.

No shade at all. Just saying. The GCC how it was originally constructed was never a permanent solution. It was a league of misfits band together much like the GLC. Most schools are traditionally more competitive in football but nonetheless. Like Elyria, once better situations become available teams would and will leave. This is true for the west side schools and Solon. Euclid and Shaker are different situations obviously. GCC is a great league regardless it just has an expiration date unfortunately.

On another note some people are OBSESSED with conference realignment and no matter the topic will be pushing personal preferences and stirring the pot ?. I stick to the credible sources and news.
Wouldn't say misfits. The GLC many leagues don't want them and it's not because they are good . The gcc has schools that are too good in many sports and also too big for other leagues. Many schools avoid them because many of those schools dont like challenges.

Thats the reason for geography. And Elyria couldn't hang especially in revenue sports so the league with mostly D2 schools was indeed more ideal . Berea actually fits in with the westside gcc even more but didn't apply because of lack of competitiveness

I go with facts too. The Riverside guy who liked your post is one of those who makes up wild scenarios for his league that make zero sense. I was saying the GCC is set at 8 and Parma wouldn't be a need unless they go to one school later on and someone moves on later from the gcc . They'd be more competitive in your swc than the gcc right now.

Last edited:
Simple fact here. Majority of schools are not seeking to be in a league that is “fair competitively”. Most schools have hard budgets and want lower expenses on travel etc. A lot of schools make it work based on geography and community. Some schools are athletic powerhouses they are lucky to base league and athletic decisions on that alone. This is not the case with 70% of schools.

Haven’t seen this on here yet. It’s been long rumored.

Should have some interesting fallout in NE Ohio as far as realignment among larger school conferences.
This will become a trend in Ohio for the next 7 to 10 Years as up to 20+ High Schools will disappear and close my Nephew informs me who is an Attorney. Says this will become the new norm. Columbus City Schools are set and will decide on witch school's to close

It is interesting because in, say, 5-6 years there will probably be one Division 1 school in Parma, and the GLC might not be a great place for them. We shall see. GCC makes sense at that size and location, unless Parma continues shrinking. I'd think that shrinkage would level off a bit.
Unless Parma City Schools does something weird and sends nearly all the Parma Senior kids to one of the remaining schools, both Valley Forge and Normandy could move up to D1 next year. Just by splitting Parma's enrollment figures in half, it would boost Valley Forge to 641 and Normandy to 622. I may have to look it up, but I believe the district's enrollment has been leveling off, so I don't think there will be a continued big drop because the district is seeing big gains in non-white students.

I don't see any way that Fairview is going to want to stick it out, especially since the only schools it has been able to compete with in football are Parma and Normandy (it hasn't beaten any other GLC school outside those two since joining the league three years ago). Parma is gone and Normandy will absorb probably half of Parma's roster/students and its a program that can't possibly get worse. Fairview is not Kirtland, so there isn't a reason, outside proximity, for a D5 to be competing in a football league that will have a couple of D1s (and the rest D2 and D3).

There seems like an easy solution for them. Fairview could rejoin some of their previous conference members in the CVC Metro to bring that up to seven schools.

Westlake, Lakewood, North Olmsted, Bay, Rocky River, Buckeye are all D2/D3 enrollment and have an attractive block to work with for some of the smaller SWC schools. Midview, the smallest school in the SWC and probably the one that is most likely to continue to fall further behind in enrollment, is probably in need of a better football situation. I'm not sure either Amherst or Olmsted Falls (tied for the next smallest enrollment) would leave, but it could make competitive sense for Amherst, though it would be less ideal for travel; Olmsted Falls has been very competitive in football so that wouldn't be the reason, but proximity is a wash and they would be closer in size compared to the SWC.

Either way, if the SWC were to lose just Midview to the new GLC, it could turn to Lorain to fill that spot and the two Parma schools can join the new misfits in the LEL. If the SWC were to lose Midview and one of Amherst/Olmsted Falls, it could then turn to the two Parma schools to bring it back to eight. Once the Parma schools do go down to one, that would then conceivably open the door again for Lorain.

Even if the SWC doesn't lose anybody to the core six of the GLC, I think those schools will still distance themselves from Parma. They can simply keep Elyria Catholic and Holy Name to make eight.

If, though, the GLC would grab a couple SWC schools and Elyria Catholic and Holy Name are nudged out, I think they would be able to find a spot in the Crown (or a new version of the NCL). Ed's, Iggy, Hoban can stay independent, but even with them not included, seems like a two-division Crown/NCL should be doable and more beneficial then having a bunch of independent Catholic schools.

Big: Walsh, Benedictine, St. Vincent-St. Mary, NDCL, Padua, VASJ (for now with Rotsky)
Small: Holy Name, Lake Catholic, Gilmour, Cleveland Central Catholic, Elyria Catholic

I left the GCC unchanged and who knows what will ultimately happen, but the core five there (Mentor, Solon, Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina) have all been in the same league with each other for 10-15 years and it seems like they are in it together for the long haul now that they stayed together and got the league back to eight. Shaker, Euclid and Cleveland Heights should hold it together for the foreseeable future.

Maybe the Suburban will try to get Solon now that they are D2, but would Solon jump to a league that blackballed them for the past decade, when the GCC now seems stable? Even if Solon were to leave, the GCC should be fine at 7.

Long story short, I'll put my money on the Parma consolidation being the straw that breaks the camel's back at least in terms of the 12 school, two division set up in the GLC in one way or another, which could put some other minor changes into effect. But I doubt it will create any full scale league collapses, just some more musical chairs.

This will become a trend in Ohio for the next 7 to 10 Years as up to 20+ High Schools will disappear and close my Nephew informs me who is an Attorney. Says this will become the new norm. Columbus City Schools are set and will decide on witch school's to close
In Northeast Ohio the only multiple high school school districts left (if Parma does go to 1) would be Cleveland, Akron and Youngstown.

If there are anymore mergers beyond those in Northeast Ohio, it means consolidating school districts, which IMO should happen. Ohio has over 100 more school districts than Pennsylvania, which has 1 million more people. Georgia is closing in on Ohio in population and is larger in land area and it only has 181 school districts in the entire state, compared to Ohio's 611.

In Northeast Ohio the only multiple high school school districts left (if Parma does go to 1) would be Cleveland, Akron and Youngstown.

If there are anymore mergers beyond those in Northeast Ohio, it means consolidating school districts, which IMO should happen. Ohio has over 100 more school districts than Pennsylvania, which has 1 million more people. Georgia is closing in on Ohio in population and is larger in land area and it only has 181 school districts in the entire state, compared to Ohio's 611.
I Think that rural Farm Districts could consolidate and this would more likely to happen that way.

why is it important to note that your nephew is an attorney?
He represents just a little over 100 School Districts in the State of Ohio and he talks about the financial struggles that some of these Districts are having among other things

Akron could close one and so could Cleveland, Toledo could also be in that mixes well.

Are any of those big districts going to consolidate schools this Summer? Usually there is an announcement earlier so I assume we are talking 2023 or later, and yes I believe it will happen.

Are any of those big districts going to consolidate schools this Summer? Usually there is an announcement earlier so I assume we are talking 2023 or later, and yes I believe it will happen.
Columbus will discuss this during next school year as that may be the big part of the equation as they need almost 200 mill to upgrade the High Schools alone. it is more cost effective to Close rather than keep open.
Akron could be forced to close one by the order of the State of Ohio and SFC as they overbuilt on that plan

In my mind I think that the leagues will drastically change ultimately in the next 15 years as a result of the closures