Paige Floriea (Mentor) - Getting close to Ohio Outdoor Record

JAVMAN83

Not mentioned here yet, but senior Paige Floriea (Mentor) has moved to #2 on the Ohio outdoor long jump list, all conditions, with her 20' 4 1/2" at her Cardinal Relays meet. While there was no wind gauge apparent at the meet, it was her third 20' plus meet of the outdoor season. Hopefully she will have a nice wind-legal, wind gauge measured jump beyond Tianna Madison's 20' 7 1/4" (6.28m) (+0.0 mps) outdoor record from the 2003 Adidas Outdoor Nationals!

Some bigger invitationals like Amherst have wind gauges for the sprints, but I am not aware of any that have them set up for long jump.

Mostly district meet & some big invites have them. Mostly depends on the timing company involved.

Not mentioned here yet, but senior Paige Floriea (Mentor) has moved to #2 on the Ohio outdoor long jump list, all conditions, with her 20' 4 1/2" at her Cardinal Relays meet. While there was no wind gauge apparent at the meet, it was her third 20' plus meet of the outdoor season. Hopefully she will have a nice wind-legal, wind gauge measured jump beyond Tianna Madison's 20' 7 1/4" (6.28m) (+0.0 mps) outdoor record from the 2003 Adidas Outdoor Nationals!
I know this isn't a legal wind gauge, but the American flag wasn't moving... there was no wind when she jumped Saturday morning.

I know this isn't a legal wind gauge, but the American flag wasn't moving... there was no wind when she jumped Saturday morning.
That's a very good sign of her fitness. It doesn't take a lot to get to 2 mps of wind, but I sincerely hope she gets the record when the wind gauges are present.

That is impressive. Just wondering how many meets have wind gauges? I have only seen them at regional meet.
I've attended at least 2 district meets that regularly use a wind gauge: D2 Salem (often timed by The Timing Crew) and D3 Norwayne (often timed by Delta Timing). The use of a wind gauge likely carries some extra cost from the timing company which most ADs or meet managers would not find worth it when hiring the timing company. Most of us are in the boat of: spring for a wind gauge at our big invitational or buy another throwing implement that will make weight.

A friend who runs the timing system at a school near me that has most of the equipment you'd hope to find at a professionally timed meet told me a couple weeks ago that a wind gauge would cost about $500 if they wanted to buy one outright. As much as he might like to have one, there are other pieces of equipment or plug-ins that he could get for that money that he felt would make his job as timer easier which, in turn, leads to smoother meet management.

I don't get them out very often, but if we know there is an athlete that could post a state record in an event where one is needed, I have access to anemometers. The problem is that most of the time, we don't have enough officials/volunteers to do all the other things that need done. A wind reading is pretty low on the list of priorities unless there is a good reason to get the anemometers out.

We will pay for a wind gauge if we think there is a chance for a record that needs to be certified. Otherwise, as Mr. Slippery said, it is often not worth the extra money.

I don't get them out very often, but if we know there is an athlete that could post a state record in an event where one is needed, I have access to anemometers. The problem is that most of the time, we don't have enough officials/volunteers to do all the other things that need done. A wind reading is pretty low on the list of priorities unless there is a good reason to get the anemometers out.
That’s another boat I’ve found myself in many times. Even when we think we have enough people lined up to work, I still find a couple more tasks that go unmanned which would’ve improved the quality of the finished product we call a meet.

Additionally, had someone come up to me 2 months ago and say “wouldn’t it be cool if we got Item A.” I said “yes, if you have an endless supply of money. Meanwhile, we need Items B, C, and D much more.” In the end, Items A, B, and C were purchased. After 1 meet, my opinion of Item A is that it’s just 1 more thing to get out and put away at meets that isn’t making my meet day duties any easier.

To steer this back to the original topic, I hope Floriea can find the extra distance to break the record and help her team achieve postseason glory. They have the athletes to do big things in the postseason.