OPSWA announces Mr. Basketball finalists

northwest07

Gabe Cupps – Centerville, 6-2 - Sr
RETURNING MR. BASKETBALL, 15.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 6.9 apg, 50.3% FG, 40.8% 3FG, 91.8% FT, 3.6 A/T; Leads league in assists per game; 5th in scoring; 3rd in steals, 10th in rebounding; Schools all-time leader in assists with 522 and is 2nd in career points with 1421 as of (2/1/23). McDonald’s All-American nominee, Gatorade POY nominee. Gabe runs our team and is the catalyst for everything we do offensively and defensively. His ability to score the ball multiple ways is vital for our team’s success, but his ability to take care of the basketball while creating shots for his teammates is one of the biggest reasons for our success. He impacts winning to the highest degree. Could have averaged over 25 a game, but did not play in the fourth quarter of 12 games due to large leads. In his 4 years of varsity basketball Gabe’s teams have a GWOC record of 40-5 and an overall record of 86-18.

Jerry Easter II, 6-foot-5 sophomore guard, Toledo Emmanuel Christian
Helped his team to a 19-3 record in the regular season with a league title and a No. 4 ranking in the final Associated Press state poll in Division III. Team is the No. 1 seed in its district entering Wednesday (March 1) semifinal games. Easter II is averaging 33.4 points per game, along with 7.9 rebounds, 3.6 steals and 2.1 assists through 21 regular season games. He shot 59 percent on two-pointers; 38 percent from three; and 75 percent at the free-throw line. ... scored 49 and 51 points in games this season; reached 1,000 points in his 34th career game. As a freshman, Easter II averaged 25 points and 10.2 rebounds per game in 14 games before his season ended with a fractured wrist.

Bede Lori, Caldwell, 6-4, Senior
28.8 ppg, 5 rbpg, 4 apg,, 3 spg 90% FT. OHSBCA North-South All-Star Game selection. OVAC All-Star Game selection. 1st team All-Ohio as junior (avg 28.3 pts). 2nd team All-Ohio as soph (avg 22 pts). 3rd team All-Ohio as frosh (avg 21.7 pts). 2-time district POY; 4-time all-OVAC; all-MOVL. Will finish with more than 2,300 career points, 600-plus rebounds; nearly 400 assists. Will finish as the state’s all-time leading free throw shooter (season/career percentage; 2nd/3rd&4th in consecutive FTs made; 2nd all-time career FTs made w 700-plus).

Darryn Peterson, Cuyahoga Falls CVCA, 6-5, so.
31.7 ppg; Peterson led CVCA to a Division II district final. He averaged 31.7 ppg, 9.3rpg, 2.0apg and 2.7spg … shot 56% FG and 42% 3pt … PAC-7 Player of the Year ... Currently has scholarship offers from Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio State and many others. According to ESPN, Darryn is the #5 high school boys basketball player in the class of 2025. … Has the look of a future NBA player.

Devin Royal, Pickerington Central, 6-6, sr. F.
An Ohio State signee and a Mr. Basketball finalist in 2022 when he led his team to the state title, Royal was averaging 19.2 points, 7.7 rebounds while shooting 58 percent from the field (41 from three-point range) for a top-seeded 19-5 team entering the district semifinals. He had 1,400 career points, second in program history.

Luke Skaljac, Brecksville-Broadview Heights, 6-2, jr.
23.2 points — The NE Lakes District POY in Division I led Brecksville (19-3) to a Suburban League title and has offers from Kent State, Akron, Toledo and Ohio after emerging last year on a 22-win team. This season, also averaged 5.5 assists, 3.0 steals, shot 42 percent on 3-pointers.

Dailyn Swain, Columbus Africentric, 6-8, sr. G-F.
A Xavier signee, Swain averaged 18.6 points, 8.2 rebounds, 7.6 assists, 3.6 steals and 2.6 blocks while shooting 66 percent from the field (37 percent from three-point range) and 75 percent at the line in leading his top-seeded state-ranked team to a 19-5 record entering the district semifinals. Entering the postseason, Swain was on the cusp of 1,400 career points.

and replace who?
Interesting thread on Twitter...Matt Goul tweeted he isn't voting because GWIII is Mr. Ohio but SW media didn't nominate him even though they could nominate more than one. SW media member replied they had no conversation about GWIII and he wasn't even mentioned in their meeting.....then came back later and apologized and said GWIII received every consideration and said Szabo reached out inquiring why GWIII wasn't considered.

So either this guy was in the SW meeting and he forgot about their lengthy discussion on GWIII or he is now covering up the fact they just put Cupps on their ballot without any discussion. Real bad look either way.

As I understand the process not all sw Ohio Prep Sportwriters are a part of the nomination process. It is a "select" group. After the nominations are made by each regional committee the rest of the OPSWA members are offered an opportunity to vote.

As I understand the process not all sw Ohio Prep Sportwriters are a part of the nomination process. It is a "select" group. After the nominations are made by each regional committee the rest of the OPSWA members are offered an opportunity to vote.
I see, this tweeter represented himself as one that was in the nomination process. Still a bad look for SWOH media when media in other parts of the state are calling them out because they didn't even nominate the best player.

I see, this tweeter represented himself as one that was in the nomination process. Still a bad look for SWOH media when media in other parts of the state are calling them out because they didn't even nominate the best player.
12P is correct about the process. I am a member of the SW district OPSWA and had no say in sw nominations only a chance to vote after all districts had made their nominations and were announced by the OHSAA.

12P is correct about the process. I am a member of the SW district OPSWA and had no say in sw nominations only a chance to vote after all districts had made their nominations and were announced by the OHSAA.
Good info, any insight as to whether GWIII was discussed as a candidate or not? Seems like nominating both if them would be the right thing to do, but I see the thought that they may split votes.

Just from reading tweets/posts seems like GWIII would have had a good chance of winning

Is GW better then Cupps? I've seen Cupps play and have to admit, was a little surprised he won the award last season.

Is GW better then Cupps? I've seen Cupps play and have to admit, was a little surprised he won the award last season.
I thought Royal should have won last year...GWIII is a much better individual basketball player than Cupps. If you want someone who will run your team in all aspects and is a great leader along with being a really good player, you go with Cupps.

I thought Royal should have won last year...GWIII is a much better individual basketball player than Cupps. If you want someone who will run your team in all aspects and is a great leader along with being a really good player, you go with Cupps.
That was the reason I was asking. I've always thought the award went to the best high school player in the state. Not the best teammate or the best player on the best team in the state.

That was the reason I was asking. I've always thought the award went to the best high school player in the state. Not the best teammate or the best player on the best team in the state.
If you want someone who will run your team in all aspects and is a great leader along with being a really good player,

When did those not become a skill set of the best basketball players? Is your prefered candidate really the only player on the team or would you maybe like to better argue that kid is pretty good at working with his team too?

When did those not become a skill set of the best basketball players? Is your prefered candidate really the only player on the team or would you maybe like to better argue that kid is pretty good at working with his team too?
Offended much? Ohio's Mr. Basketball, in my definition, can be placed on any team in the state and be the best player on that team. Not just the best teammate.

Offended much? Ohio's Mr. Basketball, in my definition, can be placed on any team in the state and be the best player on that team. Not just the best teammate.
Desperate to cover up your faux paux much? I'll help you. You're the ONLY one that saw any offense expressed in my post., You made a stupid comment. Stupid comment got called out.

In your mind, can a player that is not a great teammate nor a good leader, be the best basketball player? It's a team sport. And I'm sure whoever it is you're promoting as that best player is a good teammate, right? They probably lead their team? So where do you get off calling out someone else being selected for having that quality? Having that quality does not isolate that player from having also other qualities that some would consider makes them "the best."

Be as desperate as you want to be, promoting your son or whatever the relationship to whatever player. But if you're going to diminish some of the most important qualities of the BEST basketball players, realize you're probably also dimishing your hopeful. If not, then he's not 'best" by any measure.

Good info, any insight as to whether GWIII was discussed as a candidate or not? Seems like nominating both if them would be the right thing to do, but I see the thought that they may split votes.

Just from reading tweets/posts seems like GWIII would have had a good chance of winning
No way for me to know an answer to that SWOH. Only those whom were allowed to be a part of the discussion would know and I was not among them.

Desperate to cover up your faux paux much? I'll help you. You're the ONLY one that saw any offense expressed in my post., You made a stupid comment. Stupid comment got called out.

In your mind, can a player that is not a great teammate nor a good leader, be the best basketball player? It's a team sport. And I'm sure whoever it is you're promoting as that best player is a good teammate, right? They probably lead their team? So where do you get off calling out someone else being selected for having that quality? Having that quality does not isolate that player from having also other qualities that some would consider makes them "the best."

Be as desperate as you want to be, promoting your son or whatever the relationship to whatever player. But if you're going to diminish some of the most important qualities of the BEST basketball players, realize you're probably also dimishing your hopeful. If not, then he's not 'best" by any measure.
There's only two of us in our conversation, so 50% of us felt you were offended by my remarks. LOL

It was not stupid if you look back at the winners of the Mr Basketball award and place being a good teammate and leader as the top requirement. Last years winner is a very good player but there were arguably better talented players in the state last season. Neither you or I are stupid because we disagree. To answer you question, Yes. I think a great teammate and a good leader CAN BE the best basketball player on a team, in a league or in a state. I'm not promoting anyone. I would hope that any nomination for Mr Basketball would be leading their own team. I wasn't calling anyone out, I implied I thought there were better players. In history that would mean I had an opinion, but today it offends people and is turned into an insult. Last years winner is a good player and I would not cut him from a team I was making, but in a draft he would not be my #1 overall.

I have no son in the running for Ohio's Mr Basketball. All qualities are of value but I can also say that a kid can be the BEST player in the state and may not be the best teammate on his team.

No way for me to know an answer to that SWOH. Only those whom were allowed to be a part of the discussion would know and I was not among them.
Goul did a whole article on it, seems the process is being exposed and will hopefully be changed. It is an individual award and to say Cupps is a better individual player than GWIII or Rice is wrong in my opinion. Heck, many people that watched Centerville a lot this year would say there is an argument Powell is their best individual player.

Goul did a whole article on it, seems the process is being exposed and will hopefully be changed. It is an individual award and to say Cupps is a better individual player than GWIII or Rice is wrong in my opinion. Heck, many people that watched Centerville a lot this year would say there is an argument Powell is their best individual player.
Be careful. You may get called stupid. 😆

There's only two of us in our conversation, so 50% of us felt you were offended by my remarks. LOL

It was not stupid if you look back at the winners of the Mr Basketball award and place being a good teammate and leader as the top requirement. Last years winner is a very good player but there were arguably better talented players in the state last season.

Of course it's an "argument." When's the last time it wasn't?
To answer you question, Yes. I think a great teammate and a good leader CAN BE the best basketball player on a team, in a league or in a state
No, you didn't answer the question. You strawmanned it just like you strawmanned the "stupid" comment. I called your comment stupid, not you. Now I'll amend. ;) If you can't be confident enough in what you're saying that you have to snowman the arguments, then......

Is leadership and being a good teammate a necessary talent to be the "best" player or not? Not "can." "IS." Simple question.

You want to pick and choose what you call talent so that it diminishes the kid that won and who is still in the running against your choice but that also diminishes any other choice. Are you saying your choice could be the best if he wasn't a good leader? A good teammate? Of course not. Your statement by any measure was stupid.

Last edited:
Of course it's an "argument." When's the last time it wasn't?

No, you didn't answer the question. You snowmanned it just like you snowmanned the "stupid" comment. I called your comment stupid, not you. Now I'll amend. ;) If you can't be confident enough in what you're saying that you have to snowman the arguments, then......

Is leadership and being a good teammate a necessary talent to be the "best" player or not? Not "can." "IS." Simple question.

You want to pick and choose what you call talent so that it diminishes the kid that won and who is still in the running against your choice but that also diminishes any other choice. Are you saying your choice could be the best if he wasn't a good leader? A good teammate? Of course not. Your statement by any measure was stupid.
No, they are not necessary to be the best. They can be part of being the best. They are a part of a players character but not basketball skills. We have all seen great leaders and great teammates who cannot shoot pass or dribble as well as others.

I didn't pick and choose anything. The discussion was about MR BASKETBALL, which has always been defined as the best basketball player in the state. Being a good teammate and a good leader can be traits of the best basketball player but most have been voted on for their basketball skills only, because in many cases the voters for this award have never met the winner.

No, they are not necessary to be the best. They can be part of being the best. They are a part of a players character but not basketball skills. We have all seen great leaders and great teammates who cannot shoot pass or dribble as well as others.

I didn't pick and choose anything. The discussion was about MR BASKETBALL, which has always been defined as the best basketball player in the state. Being a good teammate and a good leader can be traits of the best basketball player but most have been voted on for their basketball skills only, because in many cases the voters for this award have never met the winner.

Which Mr. Basketball do you think were neither leaders nor good teammates? I don't recall any. "Best" as you have said, is arguable. If they are neither a good leader nor a good teammate, what qualities are you saying they could still have that would rank them as "best." arguably. ;)

If a player has a reputation for not being a good leader nor a good teammate, I don't see many votes coming their way, regardless anyone has seen them or not. Not in Ohio, not in Indiana, not anywhere. These are NECESSARY traits to be best at a team sport maybe with the exception that player wins without teammates. These traits are not to be diminished, unless the goal is to diminish the meaning of sport, arguably.

Which Mr. Basketball do you think were neither leaders nor good teammates? I don't recall any. "Best" as you have said, is arguable. If they are neither a good leader nor a good teammate, what qualities are you saying they could still have that would rank them as "best." arguably. ;)

If a player has a reputation for not being a good leader nor a good teammate, I don't see many votes coming their way, regardless anyone has seen them or not. Not in Ohio, not in Indiana, not anywhere. These are NECESSARY traits to be best at a team sport maybe with the exception that player wins without teammates. These traits are not to be diminished, unless the goal is to diminish the meaning of sport, arguably.
I agree that someone who has a reputation of being a bad teammate would lose votes, but being a great teammate/leader shouldn't catapult someone above others who are better individual players and just good teammates/leaders.

Now you are being a doofus. As you put it, I am not here to diminish any kid that won the award. I have met a few of the winners dating back to the early 90s, and I know they were not the best liked players on the team but they were the best players on the team.

If you are in Cincy and have the ability to cast a vote, do you know the player's character that was nominated from Lorain? Most voters know stats and wins/losses of the team and maybe have seen some highlights in todays world. Prior to 15 years ago you had stats and team record when you placed a vote. The voters do not travel around and meet every nominee. The fact is, sometimes the best player of a team, league or area is a jerk but he can still be the best basketball player and will get awards for his court skills. :cool:

Last edited:
I only saw 4 of Centerville's games, and while I do appreciate Powell's game, most of what I saw was a teammate getting the ball to him at the right moment while he spotted up for 3 (Powell does seem to be in the right spot quite a bit). I rarely saw him create his own shot, but like I said, I watched only 4 games.

I only saw 4 of Centerville's games, and while I do appreciate Powell's game, most of what I saw was a teammate getting the ball to him at the right moment while he spotted up for 3 (Powell does seem to be in the right spot quite a bit). I rarely saw him create his own shot, but like I said, I watched only 4 games.
I agree, from what I saw this season. Cupps does a great job running the show and finding people in the right spot. I think Powell's shot-making ability has helped them out in a lot of games. But there are kids all over Ohio that score 15 points per game and do a great job finding their teammates.

To bring it back to the Mr. Basketball conversation:
Cupps 15p/5r/7a
Royal 19p/8r
Easter 33p/8r/4s/2a
Peterson 32p/9r/3s/2a

Based on stats, which I get isn't all the award should be based on, he isn't in the conversation.