OHSBCA Pre-Season Poll

thePITman

Results of the OHSBCA's inaugural pre-season poll:

Looking for Hoban...
Confused High Quality GIF

And, as being a fan of the EBC love seeing the Quakers up there at the top, but seeing Marlington that low confuses me as well.

Seriously, what's the purpose of rankings when you have to be a member to be ranked? So you should rename the rankings to:

"Pre-Season Coaches Poll of Teams That Are Coached By Members Only"...then it would be a more accurate poll.

Seriously, what's the purpose of rankings when you have to be a member to be ranked? So you should rename the rankings to:

"Pre-Season Coaches Poll of Teams That Are Coached By Members Only"...then it would be a more accurate poll.
If a coach is not a member than that schools players can't make anything either. All coaches should be a member-if not than their program suffers.

I don’t disagree that they should be a member, but why take away from the kids who have no control over that. Feels like OHSBCA just trying to make money…feels very scammy

I don’t disagree that they should be a member, but why take away from the kids who have no control over that. Feels like OHSBCA just trying to make money…feels very scammy
You do realize it is the coaches poll. That is why. Do u think a coach who votes that is from Cincinnati knows how good a kid is from Akron is or a team from Cleveland.. Coaches email and discuss. So that's why

Exactly..and their voting is so league biased kids don't get a fair shake anyway. Coaches vote for their buddies and their leagues instead of the kids who actually deserve it.

Exactly..and their voting is so league biased kids don't get a fair shake anyway. Coaches vote for their buddies and their leagues instead of the kids who actually deserve it.
It is up to the coach to promote the kid. Yes sometimes a kid does get overlooked. It is a much better system than PBR who is definitely a biased poll. I personally have been a poll voter for years--we can't vote on a kid if we don't know anything about him. Up to the coach to promote him.

PBR came out with their Pre-Season Rankings today. Much more understandable.
PBR is a biased system--if player has went to their workouts or if a coach has connections than it is good. When you see 7 or 8 starters on a certain team picked as 1st or 2nd team or HM than easy to figure out. That team should end up 33-0 if they have that much hs talent

PBR is a biased system--if player has went to their workouts or if a coach has connections than it is good. When you see 7 or 8 starters on a certain team picked as 1st or 2nd team or HM than easy to figure out. That team should end up 33-0 if they have that much hs talent
Much better than OHSBCA though... at least they get every team involved. I agree very biased but much more accurate.

I don't really disagree with you about the bias. However when a team returns most of their starters after going 28-4 and losing in the state semifinals with 7 guys committed to D1 schools, maybe they do have that much talent.

If there is no money involved why not vote for every team in the state and every player in the state…not just those that signed up
You have to pay your dues-every sport in Ohio has a coaches association that you pay dues too. Been that way for the past 30 years. Dues covers costs of renting venues for all-star games-pay speakers at clinics, printing of tickets etc-no one is getting rich--without coaches associations-administrators would be making all the rules

Last edited:
Much better than OHSBCA though... at least they get every team involved. I agree very biased but much more accurate.
Have to disagree--several kids not even mentioned even though they were 1st or 2nd team All-Ohio last year by Coaches but not even mentioned by PBR-why because they haven't attended their showcases-. Pay PBR you will get mentioned-

Last edited:
Come the end of the season, I think most will see that PBR's polls are pretty darn accurate. Do they highlight players who have attended PBR showcases over players who haven't? Of course. They're still a business. But their polls are usually pretty decent.

It is up to the coach to promote the kid. Yes sometimes a kid does get overlooked. It is a much better system than PBR who is definitely a biased poll. I personally have been a poll voter for years--we can't vote on a kid if we don't know anything about him. Up to the coach to promote him.
Agreed, overlooked happens, But there is still league bias when it comes to the voting by some coaches. Tell me what you would do here:

31-64, .484 AVG, .546 Slug, 2 2B, 1 3B, 23 R, 8 RBIs, 4 BB, 9 SB
6 IP, 0-0 Record, 6 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1.50 ERA

1st Team All-Ohio, 2nd Team PBR All-Ohio

All league teams in the same district, coach is rep for the district

30-68, .441 AVG, .662 Slug, 7 2B, 4 3B, 23 R, 13 RBIs, 11 BB, 10 SB
40.1 IP, 2-5 Record, 46 H, 20 BB, 51 K, 3.124 ERA

Nothing All-Ohio, 1st Team PBR All-Ohio

1 other team from league in district, coach is not a rep but a member

Players in the same district, both batting in the leadoff spot.

Last edited:
Come the end of the season, I think most will see that PBR's polls are pretty darn accurate. Do they highlight players who have attended PBR showcases over players who haven't? Of course. They're still a business. But their polls are usually pretty decent.
In 2018 3 of their top 4 D2 teams went to state. They know players and teams all over the state. Coaches do not.

In 2018 3 of their top 4 D2 teams went to state. They know players and teams all over the state. Coaches do not.
Agree and disagree---PBR watches Coaches poll and does their hw as the season goes on. PBR does a nice job as the season goes on but their pre-season teams and player rankings are a bit skewed. And I disagree that coaches do not--if a player is legit , coaches know

Agreed, overlooked happens, But there is still league bias when it comes to the voting by some coaches. Tell me what you would do here:

31-64, .484 AVG, .546 Slug, 2 2B, 1 3B, 23 R, 8 RBIs, 4 BB, 9 SB
6 IP, 0-0 Record, 6 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1.50 ERA

1st Team All-Ohio, 2nd Team PBR All-Ohio

All league teams in the same district, coach is rep for the district

30-68, .441 AVG, .662 Slug, 7 2B, 4 3B, 23 R, 13 RBIs, 11 BB, 10 SB
40.1 IP, 2-5 Record, 46 H, 20 BB, 51 K, 3.124 ERA

Nothing All-Ohio, 1st Team PBR All-Ohio

1 other team from league in district, coach is not a rep but a member

Players in the same district, both batting in the leadoff spot.
Once again coach from team 2 needs to promote to voters--if they send out weekly updates-more than likely they will be recognized. And I have seen some coaches promote kids by falsifying stats as well. That does happen-when that happens a deserving kid does get the shaft

Once again coach from team 2 needs to promote to voters--if they send out weekly updates-more than likely they will be recognized. And I have seen some coaches promote kids by falsifying stats as well. That does happen-when that happens a deserving kid does get the shaft
No matter how you defend the OHSBCA they don’t have Badin in their top 10. Their poll loses all validity

Hoban doesn't have a membership with the OHSBCA, that is why I said PBR is much better, don't need a membership to be ranked.
Well as a fan you can have your opinion. From high school to the professional ranks there are coaches associations. If you want recognized join!! Each district dues are different-but inexpensive. These dues, pay for certificates, pay for use of all-star sites-pay for website, etc. No one in the OHSBCA is getting rich off of it unlike the OHSAA!