OHSAA should resume spring sports

With the governor's announcement today it's time for the OHSAA to do the right thing and give our seniors a spring sports season.

Season starts on May 26 and lasts for three weeks
Tournament begins on June 15 and is completed in three weeks, slightly excelerated schedule.
Season is completed July 4 weekend, only one weekend later than OHSAA originally planned on their last revised schedule.
You do realize games could not start for another week or two after May 26, right? So you're asking for a 1-2 week regular season and for the whole baseball tournament to be done in 3 weeks. Haha!

Not possible.

Who says 3 weeks? As of now Baseball,Softball and select other sports are permitted. Games can go on like a normal summer baseball season if fields are available.

Who says 3 weeks? As of now Baseball,Softball and select other sports are permitted. Games can go on like a normal summer baseball season if fields are available.
Go on like normal? Hahahahahaha

Man I tell ya, there are a lot of people in this state, better yet this country, that are living in a fantasy. NOTHING is going to go on like "normal", especially sports.

Go on like normal? Hahahahahaha

Man I tell ya, there are a lot of people in this state, better yet this country, that are living in a fantasy. NOTHING is going to go on like "normal", especially sports.
I think youth sports will be the first to 'look normal'.
At the onset some will do whatever rules they put into place, but I would expect everyone to slowly go back to how they always did things watching games and such.

You do realize games could not start for another week or two after May 26, right? So you're asking for a 1-2 week regular season and for the whole baseball tournament to be done in 3 weeks. Haha!

Not possible.
The revised OHSAA plan gave teams five days of practice and then games were going to begin, so I guess you were against that plan as well. The OHSAA plan was for a two-week season followed by a tournament. This is very similar to their plan with a few tweaks.

Too many people today have a can't do attitude. It's too tough. There isn't enough time. Blah, blah, blah. The darn plan already exists, just dust it off, adjust the dates and let's go. If we were talking about saving football then there would be a little more effort, but some people think it's just spring sports so we can ruin the season for those kids because no one cares.

Kids playing baseball won't be normal?
We had a meeting with my son's 14u HC the other night. There are definite changes to the game, so nothing is going on like normal. He was talking about no lead-offs, no steals for a USSSA 14U game. Craziness, but definite changes. He said there were more that he would discuss in their team meeting next week.

The revised OHSAA plan gave teams five days of practice and then games were going to begin, so I guess you were against that plan as well. The OHSAA plan was for a two-week season followed by a tournament. This is very similar to their plan with a few tweaks.

Too many people today have a can't do attitude. It's too tough. There isn't enough time. Blah, blah, blah. The darn plan already exists, just dust it off, adjust the dates and let's go.

Then you're impacting Summer/Club teams, as those players wouldn't be able to play until mid-July. Not to mention that with the time off, their arms will be similar to what they were in Jan - which is no where near ready to return to play competitively for 3-4 weeks. They'll need more than 5 days to practice and go. Why rush into a season just to have one? Most HS players I've talked to are fine with having to had skipped this season. They get it and are ready to move on to Summer/Club games. I don't get the need to rush into something like this just to say "we did it!"

I personally just can't wait to hear parents complain about balls and strikes when the umpire's ten feet back calling pitches.

It's six feet and not 10 and I'll get a cork if I have to and insert it into my mouth. Time to let the kids play. It might not be the most ideal conditions, but not having a season is the worst possibility. Several summer leagues have also canceled.

Then you're impacting Summer/Club teams, as those players wouldn't be able to play until mid-July. Not to mention that with the time off, their arms will be similar to what they were in Jan - which is no where near ready to return to play competitively for 3-4 weeks. They'll need more than 5 days to practice and go. Why rush into a season just to have one? Most HS players I've talked to are fine with having to had skipped this season. They get it and are ready to move on to Summer/Club games. I don't get the need to rush into something like this just to say "we did it!"

Because several of them have already lost summer baseball. They were going to travel out of state or play here, but several leagues have already canceled. Most kids who are serious have been working to be ready for the hopes of summer baseball. Trust me I know it isn't going to be perfect and some teams who weren't going to be very good would likely not play, but the kids at least have the option.

We had a meeting with my son's 14u HC the other night. There are definite changes to the game, so nothing is going on like normal. He was talking about no lead-offs, no steals for a USSSA 14U game. Craziness, but definite changes. He said there were more that he would discuss in their team meeting next week.

The NL is using the DH if they play, so that's the most drastic change that could be made. Also will only play teams in geographical area. Everyone is making sacrifices and changes.

Too many people today have a can't do attitude. It's too tough. There isn't enough time. Blah, blah, blah. The darn plan already exists, just dust it off, adjust the dates and let's go. If we were talking about saving football then there would be a little more effort, but some people think it's just spring sports so we can ruin the season for those kids because no one cares.

This is exactly why the announcement to cancel the season was put off for as long as possible. Once you cancel something everyone involved with that activity begins to move on and create other plans in their life. Leaving it at pending gives you a thumbtack in people's life plans at the very least. Once it was canceled, unless it was going to get changed back in the few days after, it's a done deal. And even to start it back few days later you're still in for a road that is gonna be really hard to complete.

And when you compare it to football, or any fall sport for that matter, it's not a fair comparison. You're comparing a sport who's season is in the middle/end to another sport who's season is months away from beginning. Apples and oranges when it comes to planning.

Last edited:
All of the folks talking about travel baseball. Our travel team last year played games in six states. That's not going to happen this year with each state having different rules and some states still being shutdown or are several weeks behind Ohio in reopening.

All of the folks talking about travel baseball. Our travel team last year played games in six states. That's not going to happen this year with each state having different rules and some states still being shutdown or are several weeks behind Ohio in reopening.
Nor should it.

Dont know why, other than a status symbol for coaches/parents, to travel as such.

Nor should it.

Dont know why, other than a status symbol for coaches/parents, to travel as such.

Not saying it should. Pointing out several of the people saying summer ball will be affected and they don't realize it already has been affected. Several summer leagues have already canceled. If we are going to be limited to only games within the state - that's fine and understandable - then let's have a high school season.

Iowa plays high school baseball during the summer. This is not some impossible leap like many want to claim.

Because several of them have already lost summer baseball. They were going to travel out of state or play here, but several leagues have already canceled. Most kids who are serious have been working to be ready for the hopes of summer baseball. Trust me I know it isn't going to be perfect and some teams who weren't going to be very good would likely not play, but the kids at least have the option.
This is the biggest issue. Most kids who are serious have still been working out in hopes of playing for their Summer team. However, how many kids from your HS team play in the Summer? Half? The other half quit getting prepared the day the announcement was made...that was over a month ago. Arms can't be game ready after a week of practice unless you don't care about your kids. Really wish it didn't have to be this way but it's time to move on.

This is the biggest issue. Most kids who are serious have still been working out in hopes of playing for their Summer team. However, how many kids from your HS team play in the Summer? Half? The other half quit getting prepared the day the announcement was made...that was over a month ago. Arms can't be game ready after a week of practice unless you don't care about your kids. Really wish it didn't have to be this way but it's time to move on.
Pretty much 100%.

And still....OHSAA has not even entertained the thought. You can do your best to try and run things here on Yappi but this is as far as those plans are going.

Why would no fields be available? If we can have baseball and softball on May 26, according to the ODH, then fields should be available.

Why would no fields be available? If we can have baseball and softball on May 26, according to the ODH, then fields should be available.

We've touched on this numerous times. School facilities are closed. They'll maintain closed until when/if fall sports start back up for practice. Schools won't be renting their facilities to the public even if the restriction is waived.

Also, I've talked to a few umps. They aren't exactly signing up to work things now that they know they must be masked the entire time in the middle of summer heat. Absolutely no way to make this type of event work. Though I understand the the thought.

And cl
We've touched on this numerous times. School facilities are closed. They'll maintain closed until when/if fall sports start back up for practice. Schools won't be renting their facilities to the public even if the restriction is waived.

Also, I've talked to a few umps. They aren't exactly signing up to work things now that they know they must be masked the entire time in the middle of summer heat. Absolutely no way to make this type of event work. Though I understand the the thought.

Commissioner just said the usage of each school's outdoor facilities are up to the individual school and that they should consult their area health department.

And cl

Commissioner just said the usage of each school's outdoor facilities are up to the individual school and that they should consult their area health department.

And again....schools are not opening up their facilities to be rented by the public. It's too much of an unknown risk and the main concern is that kids can hopefully return to the buildings in the fall for classes.

You'd be able to get a certain portion of seniors to participate. None of them will be top recruits. And no licensed coach or official through the OHSAA would come close to touching this type of event. Not sure how hard that is to understand.

No Licensed Coaches ever Coach in the Summer? OHSAA Licensed Officials/Umpires are Independent Contractors, they can Umpire wherever they want for whatever fee is agreed upon. I will add, a large amount of those Umpires are old enough to be in the “at risk category.” They can still go Umpire if they so choose once games resume.

No Licensed Coaches ever Coach in the Summer? OHSAA Licensed Officials/Umpires are Independent Contractors, they can Umpire wherever they want for whatever fee is agreed upon. I will add, a large amount of those Umpires are old enough to be in the “at risk category.” They can still go Umpire if they so choose once games resume.

Licensed coaches coach during the summer all the time. Within the rules set forth by OHSAA and their school districts. You're also correct that the umpires are independent contractors. But in order to Ump OHSAA games they must follow that organizations bylaws

Licensed coaches coach during the summer all the time. Within the rules set forth by OHSAA and their school districts. You're also correct that the umpires are independent contractors.

One of the big problems with summer ball is that the rules vary by each organization that is sanctioning the contests. Most play by NFHS Rules, with exceptions. Those exceptions vary greatly by each league. Some play under the Official Baseball Rules, but most of those also have some sort of exceptions to the written rules.

But in order to Ump OHSAA games they must follow that organizations bylaws

A moot point since the season is cancelled.