OHSAA should resume spring sports

sportsfan1776

With the governor's announcement today it's time for the OHSAA to do the right thing and give our seniors a spring sports season.

Season starts on May 26 and lasts for three weeks
Tournament begins on June 15 and is completed in three weeks, slightly excelerated schedule.
Season is completed July 4 weekend, only one weekend later than OHSAA originally planned on their last revised schedule.

Let's get this done!

I 100% agree. Same with track let them have a season. It's the right thing and if schools don't want to they don't have to no punishment.

Let it go. I'm a coach and parent and I've let it go.

So a senior who has worked all year to play his sport should just let it go when it's possible to play? This plan is almost like the revised OHSAA plan it released. A couple of small changes that are easy to do. It's about getting an opportunity to play with teammates one last time.

Once we see the new guidelines if it's possible it should be done. Seniors don't get another opportunity let them play one last time

There are so many other things that happen in June into July 4th weekend that have nothing to do with HS sports for families. Most kids/families are looking forward to Summer Teams, vacations, etc... Having HS Sports along side Summer Leagues, weekend tournaments? Good luck finding enough umpires in what is already a thin pool to chose from number wise.

In case you haven't noticed, even as we speak right now on Thursday May 14 7:20 pm, some schools are doing commencement ceramonies tonight that I know of. No Senior gives a flip at this point about coming back for anything to do with their high school sports career. Move on folks, it's time for college for these young people.

Zero percent chance of happening but I understand the intent of your suggestion. Even your time line is bogus. So on May 26 they play their first game?

I get the spirit behind the suggestion, but at this point the ship has passed sailed on spring sports. People are hoping that the governor's proposed transition to normalization enables them to participate in their various summer activities..

A number of summer teams have already canceled their season. They've had enough taken away from them like prom, a traditional graduation. I will admit if your high school team wasn't going to be very good then there would probably be less interest in those, but giving the kids the option should be what is considered.

The OHSAA plan gave teams five days from May 4-8 to practice with games starting on May 9. Tomorrow is May 15 and the 26th is 11 days away. The regular season would be league play with maybe a couple of non-league games. Leagues already are famlar with a group of umpires. If we wanted to do this it could happen. The question is the will? I think too many adults are jaded and don't see the importance of this for kids. When they grow older obviously they will have much more important things going on in their lives, but playing with teammates and having senior night are good memories.

How many families are going to be taking vacations in June? Most states still have a quarantine if you travel out of state for 14 days and a number of states are still semi shutdown. We pushed our vacation back to middle of July hoping this would be contained. I know several other people who have done the same thing. Some are even going early August.

A number of summer teams have already canceled their season. They've had enough taken away from them like prom, a traditional graduation. I will admit if your high school team wasn't going to be very good then there would probably be less interest in those, but giving the kids the option should be what is considered.

The OHSAA plan gave teams five days from May 4-8 to practice with games starting on May 9. Tomorrow is May 15 and the 26th is 11 days away. The regular season would be league play with maybe a couple of non-league games. Leagues already are famlar with a group of umpires. If we wanted to do this it could happen. The question is the will? I think too many adults are jaded and don't see the importance of this for kids. When they grow older obviously they will have much more important things going on in their lives, but playing with teammates and having senior night are good memories.

Dude I get it, I really do. This isn't about me not caring about kids. But schools aren't even open, and if they were open we are talking about STARTING a season after the schools would be out for the summer. It just makes no sense.

Man, I love sports, I love high school sports and I especially LOVE baseball more than anything, but many of you guys on here make me feel like I'm not even a sports fan lol

Where are they going to play?
Of course, they would have to lift the facility restrictions through June.

I believe the reason they did it through June rather than through May, or even 7-10 days into June (well after most schools would be out) was so no school really had to choose to have, or not have, graduation ceremonies.

I just do not see this happening.

Personally, I would like to see them do a "Summer Series". Have all the teams who want to participate put a team together from their school. The rules would be a little less strict with eligibility. Grades would not be checked and kids could participate on their regular Summer teams at the same time. Just have to work the pitching rules with their Summer coaches to avoid overthrowing the pitchers.

Play games on Tuesday & Wednesday starting the first week of June. Single elimination. Teams are assigned to their division based on the school season. Try to time it up so that the games end the last week of June. Crown the winners as OHSAA state champions but label them as "Summer Series" champions, not regular school ball.

If the OHSAA doesn't want to do this, a few power brokers could get together and play this tournament. Playing midweek would be the key as most players would likely be in weekend tournaments.

I would love to make it happen. Not sure how serious people would take it. Any coaches on here think they could get their kids to play. Wouldn't even necessarily have to be the head coach. Could just be one of the assistants or even a Dad. Most likely would have to be outside the school's supervision and considered just another "Summer team."

Shoot, I’d be down to see some informal “wood bat” competition (even if it’s lofty.)

Or maybe some charity all-star games.

Personally, I would like to see them do a "Summer Series". Have all the teams who want to participate put a team together from their school. The rules would be a little less strict with eligibility. Grades would not be checked and kids could participate on their regular Summer teams at the same time. Just have to work the pitching rules with their Summer coaches to avoid overthrowing the pitchers.

Play games on Tuesday & Wednesday starting the first week of June. Single elimination. Teams are assigned to their division based on the school season. Try to time it up so that the games end the last week of June. Crown the winners as OHSAA state champions but label them as "Summer Series" champions, not regular school ball.

If the OHSAA doesn't want to do this, a few power brokers could get together and play this tournament. Playing midweek would be the key as most players would likely be in weekend tournaments.
We already have something very similar to that on NWO called ACME baseball.

June is the regular season. July has sectionals and distric tournament, double elimin, and then the last allowable week before football starts is an 8 team state ACME tournament. The state tourny used to be double elim up until about a decade ago due mostly travel and time constraints.

The ACME Congress also hands out a few scholarships.

Last edited:
I see they have already cancelled their games for the Summer. How did they handle rosters for their teams? Student at the school (future/past students)? Grades? Playing for other travel teams?

I see they have already cancelled their games for the Summer. How did they handle rosters for their teams? Student at the school (future/past students)? Grades? Playing for other travel teams?
Students at the school. Believe a school rep signs off that they are a resident and had been enrolled in the school.
As for playing for travel teams that is up to the team. You used to have to appear in 4 regular season games to be eligible for the tournament but that ended as a few schools were cheating and very difficult to track.
Kids can and do play on some other teams, legion etc.

As far a grades, since it is not affiliated with schools, essentially a rec program, there was no requirements.

With the recent announcements it has set everything a buzz and don't be surprised if the season is resurrected in something fashion this summer.

The seniors who just graduated sre not eligible to play.

It's a great way for these teams to get a jump on building for the next spring.
When I was involved for nearly a decade we played a min of 26 games I believe and a max of 42 or so.

You'd be able to get a certain portion of seniors to participate. None of them will be top recruits. And no licensed coach or official through the OHSAA would come close to touching this type of event. Not sure how hard that is to understand.

You'd be able to get a certain portion of seniors to participate. None of them will be top recruits. And no licensed coach or official through the OHSAA would come close to touching this type of event. Not sure how hard that is to understand.
I agree. The OHSAA would not touch it

All i am stating is that what yappi is proposing has been around for 60 ish years with the ACME baseball congress.
I still think they can ressurrect the ACME season as it was not set to even start until the end of may/after the school spring season ended.
There would have to be more practice time for them to get ready but there is no reason why they cannot still play as achedules should have been finalized months ago