OHSAA NIL Proposal

You're 100% right. The OHSAA probably has no enforcement mechanism to punish any schools or athletes who break these rules either. Is the OHSAA really going to disqualify a stud athlete over an NIL violation such as mentioning what school he or she attends?
I imagine a blatant violation would get you dinged. However, it’s not about exposure for the program, it’s that these boosters can essentially offer $ for bogus work because there’s no oversight.

I feel like most of you don’t appreciate the gravity of this situation. I was wrong saying all sports would be hurt, that’s not true. However, it would destroy football. Unless Kyle Rudolph and Eric Wood decide to create some shell companies to funnel $ to kids, this will negatively impact Elder in a major way.

You're 100% right. The OHSAA probably has no enforcement mechanism to punish any schools or athletes who break these rules either. Is the OHSAA really going to disqualify a stud athlete over an NIL violation such as mentioning what school he or she attends?
Definitely not. Like Pboy said, it would have to be egregious or someone trying to hose an opponent.

Last edited:
I feel like most of you don’t appreciate the gravity of this situation. I was wrong saying all sports would be hurt, that’s not true. However, it would destroy football. Unless Kyle Rudolph and Eric Wood decide to create some shell companies to funnel $ to kids, this will negatively impact Elder in a major way.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think most people understand, but let's face it the OHSAA is notorious for making dumb decisions, seems like the shock factor has worn off. Factor in the wild things going on in the world and our country specifically, and this is more par for the course.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think most people understand, but let's face it the OHSAA is notorious for making dumb decisions, seems like the shock factor has worn off. Factor in the wild things going on in the world and our country specifically, and this is more par for the course.
I hope I’m overreacting but we’ve seen other forms of seemingly well intentioned financial assistance exploited for athletic gain

I don’t understand why the OHSAA is afraid to go to court. If you’re a minor, you have no right to earn an income. If they want to limit this to the athlete who are 18 and older, then it’s not nearly as big of a deal.

I’m not a traditionalist who thinks HS sports should be a neighborhood game and that the only kids playing on GCL teams should be from Catholic Feeders. I’ve been one of the biggest proponents of trying to attract non feeder kids to Elder. However, we can’t ignore the absolute cluster f going with the NCAA.

Well, college athletes aren’t the average person so I’m not sure why you’d compare them to the average person. Just like the many kids at UC’s CCM aren’t the average person - they are elite violinists, pianists, cellist, etc. They too get scholarships and full rides. Should they be banned from cashing in on their band’s performance on Friday night because they performed The Marriage of Figaro in Corbett Auditorium on Tuesday?
This is laughable. My wife went to UK on a full scholarship. She currently works as a professional musician. Her dorm compared to a UK basketball dorm are not even comparable. She still had to pay for her food, UK basketball players no so much.

Thanks for playing.

This is laughable. My wife went to UK on a full scholarship. She currently works as a professional musician. Her dorm compared to a UK basketball dorm are not even comparable. She still had to pay for her food, UK basketball players no so much.

Thanks for playing.
You would have brought up a phenomenal point if I said everyone was treated the same. I’ll patiently wait for you to point out where in my post I said that. Talk about laughable.

This may have been addressed already, but if this goes through and kids can work/cash in on NIL deals. Who at the school(s) is responsible for monitoring/advising/guiding these 14-18-year-old kids on how this process will "work"?

This may have been addressed already, but if this goes through and kids can work/cash in on NIL deals. Who at the school(s) is responsible for monitoring/advising/guiding these 14-18-year-old kids on how this process will "work"?
The proposal doesn't require anyone at the school to monitor NIL deals. It does "encourage" it however. Quoting directly from the proposed bylaw (emphasis added):

The student-athlete who intends to enter a verbal or written contract providing compensation to the student for use of their name, image, or likeness shall disclose the proposed agreement/contract to the member school at which the student is enrolled and/or participating. Each member school is encouraged to specify a specific school designee to whom such information should be reported. The extent of the disclosure shall be to the satisfaction of each member school but the school shall not advise the student-athlete against entering into the contract unless any of the stipulations in (a)-(e) appear to be violated.

You can find the full text here: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/SchoolResources/refvote/FINAL-2022ReferendumItems.pdf It's Issue 12B and begins toward the bottom of page 15 of the PDF.

It would be the wild wild west with little to no enforcement.

The NCAA fought this for years but the courts ruled against them. The OHSAA fears they are in the same boat. We are not far from football leagues like the MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, etc. dropping into another tier (below Power Five). They CANNOT compete financially for players.

Furthermore, even established Power Five area programs like UC, IU, Purdue, Louisville, etc. CANNOT compete against OSU, PSU, Mich, Ala, LSU, USC, Texas, etc. in revenue. If it continues in this direction, the Power Five will break apart from all other football schools and then the top 20 or so will eventually break apart from the Power Five (football and maybe mens basketball).

The NCAA fought this for years but the courts ruled against them. The OHSAA fears they are in the same boat. We are not far from football leagues like the MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, etc. dropping into another tier (below Power Five). They CANNOT compete financially for players.

Furthermore, even established Power Five area programs like UC, IU, Purdue, Louisville, etc. CANNOT compete against OSU, PSU, Mich, Ala, LSU, USC, Texas, etc. in revenue. If it continues in this direction, the Power Five will break apart from all other football schools and then the top 20 or so will eventually break apart from the Power Five (football and maybe mens basketball).
It wouldn’t be as bad as college since transfer rules exist (sort of). However, you will have schools paying off prospective students.

I wouldn’t blame public schools for demanding a pvt/public split if this passes.

The thing is, if Elder wanted, they could play in the mud and buy players too. However, who the hell wants to have a system where it’s just Elder, X, Moeller, Eds, and Ignatius playing each other every year? These idiots at the OHSAA need to realize this can be beaten in court. Minors have No right to earn an income. If you limit this to athletes who are 18, the problem will mostly solve itself.

I know most don’t follow HS football nationally, but the Trinity League in Los Angeles, is exactly what can happen with no oversight. Mater Dei, Bosco and to a lesser extent Servite, all recruit openly to build super teams. However, there’s also tons of kids transferring bw programs every year. It’s absolute chaos.

The OHSAA should bear the responsibility for enforcement. Schools shouldn’t have to hire someone to enforce their rules.
I dont disagree, but I think we’ll see this similar to college where schools have someone directing students on which deals are okay and aren’t for eligibility.

Gene Smith, OSU’s AD, has essentially brought this up the last week or so during some media events.

Thanks for playing.
Your wife also didn't bring in millions of dollars for UK through her music like basketball players do.

This.

This will also have an impact in high schools as we all know there will be schools/connected alums that will be all over this, and schools that will have nothing to do with it. The schools that don't use NIL will ultimately fall behind over time and will be at a significant disadvantage.

I will applaud the schools that stay away from it. I'm not so much against kids/families getting paid for their image and likeness - it's just not a healthy environment for high schools kids to be in. It will be filled with corruption, greed and bad behavior.

Last edited:
Amateur sports basically went from "paying players is the worst thing you can do" to "pay to play" in a few short years.

When I think about it personally, I'm sure if someone wanted to give me money for my kid's image, I'd certainly listen and probably take it (assuming certain illegal/corrupt things weren't expected of me in return). But I also know that the atmosphere of certain types of people trying to get their hands on as much money as possible won't be a good one.

I'm not saying it's the drug trade, but there's a reason alot of people die protecting their assets in that world. People do crazy things to protect and get their hands on that cash.

Last edited:
This.

This will also have an impact in high schools as we all know there will be schools/connected alums that will be all over this, and schools that will have nothing to do with it. The schools that don't use NIL will ultimately fall behind over time and will be at a significant disadvantage.

I will applaud the schools that stay away from it. I'm not so much against kids/families getting paid for their image and likeness - it's just not a healthy environment for high schools kids to be in. It will be filled with corruption, greed and bad behavior.
I honestly believe that there’s going to have to be a separation for NIL schools and non NIL schools. Let the NIL schools play Mater Dei, Gorman, IMG, DeMatha, Aquinas,etc.

Amateur sports basically went from "paying players is the worst thing you can do" to "pay to play" in a few short years.

When I think about it personally, I'm sure if someone wanted to give me money for my kid's image, I'd certainly listen and probably take it (assuming certain illegal/corrupt things weren't expected of me in return). But I also know that the atmosphere of certain types of people trying to get their hands on as much money as possible won't be a good one.

I'm not saying it's the drug trade, but there's a reason alot of people die protecting their assets in that world. People do crazy things to protect and get their hands on that cash.
The OHSAA is so dumb, they don’t even realize this makes them obsolete.

Do you think this could lead to NIL teams just becoming independent?
I don’t see why not. Frankly, I think non NIL teams should refuse to schedule schools that engage in this. If certain schools in the GCL embrace NIL, I would say Elder needs to leave the GCL entirely.

Last edited: