OHSAA NIL Proposal

EHS 2001

Elder football coach Doug Ramsey wonders about the monitoring of NIL and if it could lead to additional recruiting, an OHSAA violation in its basic form.

"This was done in college because the amount of money the NCAA, universities and coaches make and they had a rule on their books that said athletes couldn't be paid," Ramsey said. "Not even close to the same deal in high school. Glad I'm nearing the end of my career."

Coach Ramsey is right. This would be utter chaos in high school. Take AAU stupidity and ramp it up 100x with people trying to get in line to get their money. It would be dangerous, and yes, I mean it would lead to physical harm to people.

The adults have lost their marbles when it comes to sports. These are KIDS - some as young as 13-14 years old. Crazy.

There’s already a lot of complaints (some legitimate) about the advantage of Private schools over Public. This would only exacerbate things.

However, the final part of that statement is a bit ominous. IDK what he considers to be the “end of his career” but he’s only in his mid 50s. I would think he could go another 5-10 yrs.

Coach Ramsey is right. This would be utter chaos in high school. Take AAU stupidity and ramp it up 100x with people trying to get in line to get their money. It would be dangerous, and yes, I mean it would lead to physical harm to people.

The adults have lost their marbles when it comes to sports. These are KIDS - some as young as 13-14 years old. Crazy.
It’s hard to imagine any school or coach wanting this to pass. Imagine being an adult coach and your 16 yr old QB is making more $ than you, there’s just no way this works.

There’s already a lot of complaints (some legitimate) about the advantage of Private schools over Public. This would only exacerbate things.
It would increase the complaints, but the reality is that the top recruits at D1 public schools (GMC/GWOC/OCC) would benefit from this just as much as private school students. There are plenty of nut job OSU fans that would fork over money to the kids at Lakota West headed to play for the Buckeyes.

Sadly, coaches with kids in high school will push for it to pass because everyone wants a piece.

The adults are failing the kids. Promises of riches, scholarships, fame and fortune has created an adult cesspool within a kids game. It's embarassing.

It would increase the complaints, but the reality is that the top recruits at D1 public schools (GMC/GWOC/OCC) would benefit from this just as much as private school students. There are plenty of nut job OSU fans that would fork over money to the kids at Lakota West headed to play for the Buckeyes.
but those kids would never end up at those schools bc they’d be snatched away by private schools before getting to HS.

Sadly, coaches with kids in high school will push for it to pass because everyone wants a piece.

The adults are failing the kids. Promises of riches, scholarships, fame and fortune has created an adult cesspool within a kids game. It's embarassing.
The coaches won’t see any $ from it. This whole thing is insane. Again, you can’t live in NKY and play sports in Cincinnati but you can get tens of thousands of $ to attend a certain HS?

How many Elder Football Players or any other for that matter will actually receive lucrative NIL Deals?
Who knows? I’m sure some could’ve cashed in. Hopefully, this disaster gets voted down, because it will absolutely wreck HS sports in the state. If the superstar kids want to get $, let them go play for IMG or any one of those other fly by night fake schools that aren’t held down by a state athletic body.

The coaches won’t see any $ from it. This whole thing is insane. Again, you can’t live in NKY and play sports in Cincinnati but you can get tens of thousands of $ to attend a certain HS?
It's crazy isn't it?

People will end up killing each other for a quicker path to riches.

It absolutely blows my mind that the governing body of high school YOUTH sports would even entertain this (yes, most are still kids). Complete loss of perspective.

And I absolutely believe people/businesses/etc will start to throw money at high school kids. It will turn into a vice like prostitution and gambling and drug abuse where people will do anything to get their hands on that NIL money. Pimping out high school kids. Sickening.

It's crazy isn't it?

People will end up killing each other for a quicker path to riches.

It absolutely blows my mind that the governing body of high school YOUTH sports would even entertain this (yes, most are still kids). Complete loss of perspective.

And I absolutely believe people/businesses/etc will start to throw money at high school kids. It will turn into a vice like prostitution and gambling and drug abuse where people will do anything to get their hands on that NIL money. Pimping out high school kids. Sickening.
Again, I don’t think it passes but if it does, there’s going to be a schism that ends the OHSAA. I also think the Governor has the ability to veto this rule.

Also, as most people here know, I’m not a “traditionalist” who thinks Elder (or any of the GCL schools) should only be made up of Catholic Feeder kids. I’m all for the open boundaries and bringing in public school kids who want to be at Elder. What I don’t want to see is a complete destruction of the already limited competitive field. Let’s be honest, there’s 3 GCL schools & West that are threats to win R4 in a given year. You go up to Dayton and there’s Wayne, Springfield, and maybe Centerville? Columbus is pretty much just Pick Central though occasionally Coffman, UA, or Davidson might win the Region. And in R1 it’s only going ever Eds, Ignatius or Mentor. So out of all the D1 teams in the current landscape maybe 10-12 are legitimately capable of winning state in football. Now there’s potential legislation that would probably cut that group of contenders in 1/2. That’s terrible for the sport.

I would guess that most at Elder (and hopefully the rest of the city) think of this as Coach Ramsey does - and they're also right.

I think it would be a very positive thing for people like Coach Ramsey to take a very hard line against this to make people realize jut how crazy all of this is becoming and has become.

Someone has to stand up and protect these kids, because they without a doubt will be taken advantage of.

There's no doubt there's a faction that wants this to happen. And those people aren't good for HS sports.

A few years ago, a St. X alum donated a large sum of money to get the school to rename the stadium for his company and to “endow” the head coaching job. I think that guy also owns Walt’s Hitching Post and Sorrento’s. As an example, I could see a wealthy alum such as that doing relatively low dollar NIL deals with the entire OL or DL just for social media posts that advertise the players eating at the restaurants. Or LaRosa’s or Skyline franchisees doing deals with kids from local schools.

If this path is followed it will end high school sports as we know it. Eventually all there will be is “club” sports that pay players to play.

If this path is followed it will end high school sports as we know it. Eventually all there will be is “club” sports that pay players to play.
Exactly, and that’s why it should never pass. There’s going to be so many kids that lose out on opportunities to play because their school couldn’t keep up with NIL and had to fold their athletic department.

I support NIL at the college level to the extent, if EA uses your face & likeness in a video game, you should get paid. Or if you want to sell your personal property for $, you should be able to do that. However, at the HS level, there’s no reason for it.

Absolutely nobody with any common sense would want NIL at the hs level. Maybe with some of the garbage AAU type stuff, but no legitimate hs would want anything to do with it.

Absolutely nobody with any common sense would want NIL at the hs level. Maybe with some of the garbage AAU type stuff, but no legitimate hs would want anything to do with it.
I’m wondering why it’s even up for a vote. If this passes, the OHSAA would be rendered useless, much like the NCAA.

If teams like IMG were smart, they’d form their own National Conference with other All Star “Schools” and let those kids cash in on NIL since there’s no state governing body to stop it.

I just don’t think many kids around here will get lucrative NIL deals so hopefully things will continue as normal. I’m with EHS, I could see some kids getting some free Skyline,Larosa’s,Roosters etc.. but that’s about it. The OHSAA and School Logos are not permitted so most people won’t even know who these kids are or the NIL deal that they may or may not receive.

I just don’t think many kids around here will get lucrative NIL deals so hopefully things will continue as normal. I’m with EHS, I could see some kids getting some free Skyline,Larosa’s,Roosters etc.. but that’s about it. The OHSAA and School Logos are not permitted so most people won’t even know who these kids are or the NIL deal that they may or may not receive.
Why would you even risk opening this Pandora’s Box? I can see colleges or over zealous college boosters using this to start funneling money to recruits before they even hit campus. There are so many ways this could go wrong…

Why would you even risk opening this Pandora’s Box? I can see colleges or over zealous college boosters using this to start funneling money to recruits before they even hit campus. There are so many ways this could go wrong…
Who's to say that isn't already happening

Who's to say that isn't already happening
In college? It’s absolutely happening and was going on way, way, way before NIL. The big difference is now that it’s acceptable, the kids are getting millions instead of a few hundred $

Hu

Maybe but why make it easier?
Exactly. A yr ago, Tennessee’s former HC was fired for stuffing McDonald’s bags with a couple hundred $ to give to recruits. Now, they signed an incoming QB to an NIL Deal worth $ 8 mm.

Exactly. A yr ago, Tennessee’s former HC was fired for stuffing McDonald’s bags with a couple hundred $ to give to recruits. Now, they signed an incoming QB to an NIL Deal worth $ 8 mm.
Its really an interesting topic. Like if someone is willing to pay someone for their signature or because they think having them promote their brand will increase business clearly someone sees there's a value to it. Now, why shouldn't a kid and his family be able to explore this avenue if its available to them? Flip side it is opening pandoras box and no telling how this could play out 5, 10, 15 yrs down the line. We already somewhat see how this can play out just looking at aau and the shenanigans associated with it. Adding money to that mix and no telling how bad things could get. Do the actual life lessons gained through sports, and what it means to be a teammate get watered down because the kid is only focused on his own agency? Wild times ahead indeed.

Its really an interesting topic. Like if someone is willing to pay someone for their signature or because they think having them promote their brand will increase business clearly someone sees there's a value to it. Now, why shouldn't a kid and his family be able to explore this avenue if its available to them? Flip side it is opening pandoras box and no telling how this could play out 5, 10, 15 yrs down the line. We already somewhat see how this can play out just looking at aau and the shenanigans associated with it. Adding money to that mix and no telling how bad things could get. Do the actual life lessons gained through sports, and what it means to be a teammate get watered down because the kid is only focused on his own agency? Wild times ahead indeed.
Agree - it is fascinating, but I think your last statement about watering down HS sports has already become reality.

The spectrum has already shifted to everyone for themselves. High school seasons for baseball and basketball have already started to be viewed as "second season" where kids focus most of their efforts on AAU. The fact that this is happening already says ALOT about how the promise of scholarships and free college has completely taken over high school sports.

The vast majority of these kids playing AAU will never even play at the level they want in college, many not at all. But so many parents have dedicated so much time and money over the years, they end up choosing plan C, likely a school they don't want to attend, and likely a school they will be unhappy with and leave within a year. And all the time they spent on their "brand", their twitter announcements, their twitter videos, their recruiting spend, their travel spend, was all to the detriment of their high school experience and the fun of spending a few years with their buddies representing their schools.

There are so many dissolutioned parents about how good their kids are. The difference between a D1 athlete and the majority of these kids playing AAU is vast.

In saying all that, if someone wants to pay a kid/family for their likeness, not sure a school can prevent it either.

I agree, NIL in college needs more regulation. However, as coach Ramsey pointed out, those players are generating the University hundreds of millions in Revenue annually. In many cases, the $ they make funds the rest of the athletic teams. Yeah, there’s some HS programs in Ohio that generate a lot of $, but nothing in the stratosphere of a successful college program.