OHSAA does not allow kids to play 7on7

whats the estimate on states that will NEVER have a national champion located therein?

I mean, NFL Minor Leagues Champions.

probably 40 out of 50 . will never.

but you still have to have all the scrub teams and conferences or there will be nobody for the SEC to play against.

same as high school only in high school if there was only one state champ, (which is how it should be), out of 700 schools 680 don't have a chance. but you still have to have all the scrubs on teams and playing. you still have to have them pretending to be in the NFL

all the tadpoles.

Side Bar: love seeing West Virginia pass a purpose law which would allow kids to transfer to any high school and remain athletically eligible. Should be a nation wide rule.
Should be noted that it came through the West Virginia Legislature, and not the WVSSAC — which, yeah…

Funny how I saw Akron DB coach post on his Twitter feed. Where the dogs tht are playing 7v7 this weekend. As a coach you use every tool you have to evaluate a player tht you may covet.

Funny how I saw Akron DB coach post on his Twitter feed. Where the dogs tht are playing 7v7 this weekend. As a coach you use every tool you have to evaluate a player tht you may covet.
1675014287636.png

and all the educational wonderfuls of interscholastic competitions and teams would be available to a wider number of students.

unless you could name any that would not.
I think the one thing you miss with intermural sports is the ability to play against teams from other schools. So at a school like Mason you can still have a decent schedule for your intermural teams to play through but at a smaller school the whole "season" may be 1 or two games.

whats the estimate on states that will NEVER have a national champion located therein?

I mean, NFL Minor Leagues Champions.

probably 40 out of 50 . will never.

but you still have to have all the scrub teams and conferences or there will be nobody for the SEC to play against.

same as high school only in high school if there was only one state champ, (which is how it should be), out of 700 schools 680 don't have a chance. but you still have to have all the scrubs on teams and playing. you still have to have them pretending to be in the NFL

all the tadpoles.
So now you want to go to 1 division for football in Ohio?

I think the one thing you miss with intermural sports is the ability to play against teams from other schools. So at a school like Mason you can still have a decent schedule for your intermural teams to play through but at a smaller school the whole "season" may be 1 or two games.
umm in any intramural program the only sports offered would be discovered by offering a variety and only forming those which attract enough participants to justify them. in smaller schools it may only be one sport or activity. it may be coed. it may be competitive walking. it could be frisbee golf. it could be anything. it could be pickleball. table tennis. you name it but there would be no travel etc and a much wider segment of the student population could participate. it could be mandatory part of curriculum to participate in at least one sport or activity as part of phys ed curriculum.

I've talked to D1 coaches from several different D1 schools and the consensus is that Ohio not having spring football and spring football hurt the development of Ohio High School football players. By the time an Ohio football player graduates from high school he's almost a year behind in development versus schools that have these opportunities. Regardless of what anyone wants to think or say skill development and exposure take place in 7v7 and in spring football. For those saying it's not OHSAA schools' jobs to prepare kids to play in college. This is an utterly ridiculous argument. Is it not a schools job to prepare academically prepare students and provide students the opportunity to go to college? It's the job of high school coaches to develop their players and prepare them to maximize their abilities in a way that offers them the most opportunities after high school. By not allowing spring football and 7v7 the Member schools of the OHSAA are holding their football players back. This isn't just about the D1 kids, this is about the kids who will play at the lower levels as well. Not to mention with the transfer portal being what it is the opportunities for kids coming out of high school are already at a premium.

I've talked to D1 coaches from several different D1 schools and the consensus is that Ohio not having spring football and spring football hurt the development of Ohio High School football players. By the time an Ohio football player graduates from high school he's almost a year behind in development versus schools that have these opportunities. Regardless of what anyone wants to think or say skill development and exposure take place in 7v7 and in spring football. For those saying it's not OHSAA schools' jobs to prepare kids to play in college. This is an utterly ridiculous argument. Is it not a schools job to prepare academically prepare students and provide students the opportunity to go to college? It's the job of high school coaches to develop their players and prepare them to maximize their abilities in a way that offers them the most opportunities after high school. By not allowing spring football and 7v7 the Member schools of the OHSAA are holding their football players back. This isn't just about the D1 kids, this is about the kids who will play at the lower levels as well. Not to mention with the transfer portal being what it is the opportunities for kids coming out of high school are already at a premium.
That's one of the reasons for public education, but not the only one.

The more students specialize in football the more it hurts their chances to get a scholarship in baseball, basketball, lacrosse, track, etc. Not to mention academic study time lost.

What we should do is eliminate all extracurricular activities and extend the school day by 2-3 hours. That will do much more in preparing kids for college.

Which is your stated goal, isn't it?

That's one of the reasons for public education, but not the only one.

The more students specialize in football the more it hurts their chances to get a scholarship in baseball, basketball, lacrosse, track, etc. Not to mention academic study time lost.

What we should do is eliminate all extracurricular activities and extend the school day by 2-3 hours. That will do much more in preparing kids for college.

Which is your stated goal, isn't it?
The kids should be able to pick and choose what they want to play and not play. Ideally, I think kids should play multiple sports, but if they're only passionate about playing one, why should they not have every opportunity afforded to those who play Basketball (AAU), Baseball/Softball (Travel), Lacrosse (Club), Hockey (Club), Soccer (Club). There's no reason a kid shouldn't be able to play 7v7 AND baseball/track. It doesn't have to be either or. In fact, any player who wants to play college football should be running track and working on their explosiveness.

It just baffles me that there are clearly people that want to hold high school football players back from furthering their opportunities to play at the next level.

I've talked to D1 coaches from several different D1 schools and the consensus is that Ohio not having spring football and spring football hurt the development of Ohio High School football players. By the time an Ohio football player graduates from high school he's almost a year behind in development versus schools that have these opportunities. Regardless of what anyone wants to think or say skill development and exposure take place in 7v7 and in spring football.

1675107073476.jpeg

The kids should be able to pick and choose what they want to play and not play. Ideally, I think kids should play multiple sports, but if they're only passionate about playing one, why should they not have every opportunity afforded to those who play Basketball (AAU), Baseball/Softball (Travel), Lacrosse (Club), Hockey (Club), Soccer (Club). There's no reason a kid shouldn't be able to play 7v7 AND baseball/track. It doesn't have to be either or. In fact, any player who wants to play college football should be running track and working on their explosiveness.
No I really think cancel all extracurriculars and extend that school day by 3 hours. That would give ALL Ohio graduates an advantage over students from other states.

I think you should listen to this podcast. It was long but very informative

some quick highlights -
20 years ago there were 160-170 division 1 caliber players in Ohio and today it’s gone down to 90

kids should have the option to be able to choose spring football, 7 v 7 or another spring sport

if they want to do both then the coaches should figure out a way for these kids to be able to play multiple sports at once.

7 v 7 isn’t real football but it exposes kids in Ohio to much higher skilled players around the country giving them better competition and exposure for themselves to college coaches

If we really care about the kids then we should be giving them as many opportunities possible to get to college on scholarship. Between 2002 and now there are on average 70 less kids getting full rides from Ohio to play football

They're not going to watch the video because they don't care and in my opinion a lot of it is race driven as was brought up earlier in this thread.

They're not going to watch the video because they don't care and in my opinion a lot of it is race driven as was brought up earlier in this thread.

20 years ago we had more HS aged kids in Ohio than we do now. I would think demographic and population changes over the last 20 years have made a difference.

I'd argue ohio has some of the best coaches. In states like Florida and even VA with spring football you see coaches burn out at a higher rate. It's already hard enough for coaches to fill a 7-12 staff, add that in and it might be harder.

Look, as the SEC began to dominate in the last 15-18 years the southeast became a hotbed for recruiting with it, couple it with population increases and thus more kids in the schools. The sheer number of possible players should give them an advantage in kids who can go D1.

With the portal these days, there are plenty of Midwestern players who are in D2 and FCS who perform well and move up into power 5 or group of 5.

I just don't get why everyone thinks springball is the answer. It might help it might not, but to base it purely on a few college coaches opinions isn't necessarily enough grounds IMO for the OHSAA to make that change.

Plus, I've been at the OHSFCA clinic when a vote came up to propose spring ball, it failed. That was a few years ago, but it failed by a larger margin than I thought.

I will say, I'm not against it and I'm not against off-season 7v7 stuff. I just think the OHSAA and others don't feel the need if the main push is some college coaches

@PrepRedzoneOhio I have heard the same thing from D1, Ohio players being behind. However, I have heard it spin into a positive with many D1 coaches. They have stated that the players that come from Texas and other states that have football year round have already hit their ceiling and there isn't much opportunity for growth. However, the opposite has been stated about players from Ohio. Players from Ohio show more growth and there are many video posted online of players focusing in on their crafts at T3 Performance and other indoor training facilities. Once again, Ohio is fine. There isn't a problem. No reason to change because of a tweet nor Kirby's comments.

1675185335279.png

1675185088328.png

@TexasFanFromOhio I get what you're saying and I agree that spin could be put on it, but the numbers simply don't bare it out. Less Ohio kids will get D1-D3 scholarships in 2023 than any year in recent history and it's not close. (the graphic is from December 21st by Mark Porter (Scouting Ohio). Now that college athletes can athletes can transfer one time without penalty there's little to no reason for colleges to take high school players at all, let alone to spend extra time and money on developing their players. I'm telling you that Ohio's rules are taking away opportunities it's own HS football players to continue their careers and get their educations paid for (along with academic money).

Edit: I love Dale and T3, and there are quality training facilities in the state of Ohio. What they do does improve the development. Those training facilities, however, are not exposing those players to the top colleges and talent across the country. They're facing the same players week after week in the offseason. There's a cap on how good they can get based on the competition they're seeing.

Last edited:
View attachment 38586
View attachment 38581
@TexasFanFromOhio I get what you're saying and I agree that spin could be put on it, but the numbers simply don't bare it out. Less Ohio kids will get D1-D3 scholarships in 2023 than any year in recent history and it's not close. (the graphic is from December 21st by Mark Porter (Scouting Ohio). Now that college athletes can athletes can transfer one time without penalty there's little to no reason for colleges to take high school players at all, let alone to spend extra time and money on developing their players. I'm telling you that Ohio's rules are taking away opportunities it's own HS football players to continue their careers and get their educations paid for (along with academic money)

so what the Ohio education system is not funded to be a minor leagues for the NCAA.

and those numbers at their highest represent a tiny percentage of total participation.

and those numbers don't reflect actual financial support : very few are full rides.

"Ohio kids are being denied opportunities because the OHSAA doesn't permit 7 on 7" is the most ridiculous claim of victimization I have ever heard.

Last edited:
High school football is what it's all about. Colleges are full of perverted professors and jock-sniffing frat boys. There are probably some really talented Ohio players that have no interest in being lectured about white privilege and gender pronouns in between potentially suffering a career-ending injury just so the drunks from sigma kappa will provide them free Natty and a 18 year old harlot for the weekend.

View attachment 38586
View attachment 38581
@TexasFanFromOhio I get what you're saying and I agree that spin could be put on it, but the numbers simply don't bare it out. Less Ohio kids will get D1-D3 scholarships in 2023 than any year in recent history and it's not close. (the graphic is from December 21st by Mark Porter (Scouting Ohio). Now that college athletes can athletes can transfer one time without penalty there's little to no reason for colleges to take high school players at all, let alone to spend extra time and money on developing their players. I'm telling you that Ohio's rules are taking away opportunities it's own HS football players to continue their careers and get their educations paid for (along with academic money).

Edit: I love Dale and T3, and there are quality training facilities in the state of Ohio. What they do does improve the development. Those training facilities, however, are not exposing those players to the top colleges and talent across the country. They're facing the same players week after week in the offseason. There's a cap on how good they can get based on the competition they're seeing.
D1 is up from the year prior.

I am assuming the prior year numbers are the final year totals where this year is thru 12/22 as you said. My understanding is the divisions under d1 typically wait until d1 is basically finished with their recruiting so that will probably grow yet over the next weeks/months. Another thing I have seen in the sub-D1 ranks is kids simply aren't wanting to play at that level anymore. Full rides aren't offered many times, the schools are more expensive, and the they calculate the personal investment in time against getting to play football a few more years.

And there are not athletic scholarships in D3 last I heard and typically if you can get in and afford tuition you can find a team if you really want at d3. You might never see the field but you can say you were on the team if that is important to you.

High school football is what it's all about. Colleges are full of perverted professors and jock-sniffing frat boys. There are probably some really talented Ohio players that have no interest in being lectured about white privilege and gender pronouns in between potentially suffering a career-ending injury just so the drunks from sigma kappa will provide them free Natty and a 18 year old harlot for the weekend.
Except it's not. I'm not even addressing the rest of the garbage you posted.