OHSAA Competitive Balance Count 2022

There's also just 71 schools in D1. Westerville South is at 605, with the next highest D2 (Winton Woods) at 593. If more schools become eligible, they can easily move Westerville South to D1 as the 72nd school to keep that top 10% as D1.
My guess is Western Hills will be added and make it 72 in Division I. They do not appear to be assigned anywhere currently.

Why are the CB numbers different for different sports? Doesn’t it just account for kids outside the district? Or does it account for winning, also?
There is no "tradition factor," so nobody is re-assigned due to winning. That was part of a CB proposal from 10 years ago along with deductions for number of kids on Free and Reduced Lunch. That proposal didn't pass when voted on by the member schools, but it helped set the table for the CB measures we currently have.

Why are the CB numbers different for different sports? Doesn’t it just account for kids outside the district? Or does it account for winning, also?
because they take into account kids on the team, not in the school. A school may have many kids on the football team that live outside the district, but none on the basketball team.

My guess is Western Hills will be added and make it 72 in Division I. They do not appear to be assigned anywhere currently.
I asked WCPO's Mike Dyer about Western Hills on Facebook and his reply was:

From the OHSAA: These represent those schools that participated in the 2021 playoffs. These are not the final lists of schools that will be eligible to participate in the 2022 playoffs, as schools have until October 1 to make changes to their tournament participation. In addition, multi-high school districts that restructure their high schools are required to have their enrollment reclassified as of September 10 which may change their assigned tournament division.

I very much hope the administration at Cincinnati Public and Western Hills HS allows the Mustangs the chance to participate in the playoffs this year.

With Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin getting the bump to D I, the Olentangy schools now have four D I schools. Amazing growth. Olentangy was the lone school there and a D III playoff team in 1992. They were D I by 2001, and bounced between D I and D II since as schools were added, and D I was shrunk. Rumor of a 5th high school may not be far fetched.

Olentangy Schools are now the 4th largest school district in Ohio, only behind Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.

With Olentangy and Olentangy Berlin getting the bump to D I, the Olentangy schools now have four D I schools. Amazing growth. Olentangy was the lone school there and a D III playoff team in 1992. They were D I by 2001, and bounced between D I and D II since as schools were added, and D I was shrunk. Rumor of a 5th high school may not be far fetched.

Olentangy Schools are now the 4th largest school district in Ohio, only behind Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.
But their taxes are higher than those 3 put together. :)

Since 1998, the district's enrollment is up from 4,812 to 22,573--an increase of 370%. The district projects that over the next 10 years they'll add another 4,000 students PK-12. Based on an article I found from a year ago, there weren’t plans at that time for another HS, but they did expect to need to build 3 more elementary schools to add to the 16 they already have.

One thing I noticed from looking at the CB rankings for football is CB really has no impact on D1 football. With the exception of maybe 2 schools, if you're D1 after CB, it looks like you were D1 before CB as well. At first glance it looks like CB really only impacts the middle divisions. Is that accurate?

Even more interesting, not only is Olentangy the 4th largest behind those big 3 urban districts but South-Western, Dublin, and Hilliard are all in the top 10 as well. Westerville and Worthington are just outside the top 10 at #11 and #12 respectively. Just wait til that Intel plant opens up. If you haven't bought property in Cbus metro yet, better get on it.

One thing I noticed from looking at the CB rankings for football is CB really has no impact on D1 football. With the exception of maybe 2 schools, if you're D1 after CB, it looks like you were D1 before CB as well. At first glance it looks like CB really only impacts the middle divisions. Is that accurate?
I think that's kind of the goal of CB. D1 is more or less an equal playing field for all, CB helps out the mid to small public schools

Since 1998, the district's enrollment is up from 4,812 to 22,573--an increase of 370%. The district projects that over the next 10 years they'll add another 4,000 students PK-12. Based on an article I found from a year ago, there weren’t plans at that time for another HS, but they did expect to need to build 3 more elementary schools to add to the 16 they already have.
In 1991, Milton-Union played Olentangy in the D3 Regional Championship in boys basketball. Milton is a d5 in football now and Olentangy is 4th largest in the State. That’s amazing growth. Mason is another one along with New Albany.

The reason those central Ohio districts are growing at an insane rate is because all the people leaving small towns and tired old steel towns are moving to Delaware County.