OHSAA Competitive Balance Count 2022

There's no schools that fall into that range, hence the void. The smallest D1 is 613 and then the largest D2 is 605
There's also just 71 schools in D1. Westerville South is at 605, with the next highest D2 (Winton Woods) at 593. If more schools become eligible, they can easily move Westerville South to D1 as the 72nd school to keep that top 10% as D1.

From the OHSAA page:
These represent those schools that participated in the 2021 playoffs. These are not the final lists of schools that will be eligible to participate in the 2022 playoffs, as schools have until October 1 to make changes to their tournament participation. In addition, multi-high school districts that restructure their high schools are required to have their enrollment reclassified as of September 10 which may change their assigned tournament division.

Massillon’s is only 37. I wonder how that will go over with the trolls on here ?
But but but…. Let the excuses begin.
If we’d like to dive into the numbers;
McKinley has 1 CB addition per 12.77 boys, while Massillon has 1 addition per 12.48 boys.
So technically, Massillon has a slightly higher CB # when looking at it proportionally to the size of the school.

Some Catholic school balance numbers from cleveland.com:

⦁ Cincinnati St. Xavier: 653, which gives it the largest adjusted enrollment in Ohio at 1,691 after a standard male enrollment of 1,038 last October.

St. Edward: 549, which is nearly equal to its standard enrollment of 684, giving the Eagles the fourth-highest adjusted figure in the state at 1,233.

Hoban: 190, which keeps it in Division II as a move up.

⦁ Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller: 176, which keeps it among the larger Division I schools.

⦁ Toledo Central Catholic: 162, which not only keeps it in Division II but as a move up from a pre-competitive balance alignment to Division IV.

⦁ Toledo St. John’s Jesuit: 130, which keeps it in Division II.

St. Ignatius: 120, which pushes it to the fifth largest figure in Division I at 1,173 after a standard enrollment of 1,053.

Benedictine: 118, which led to the Bengals moving down from Division II. However, with an October 2021 enrollment of 217, the school would have been aligned to Division IV without competitive balance.

Gilmour: 109, which pushed the Lancers up to Division IV.

⦁ Toledo St. Francis de Sales: 103, which keeps it in Division II.

⦁ Cincinnati La Salle: 107, which keeps it in Division II.

Walsh Jesuit: 100, which keeps it in Division II.

If we’d like to dive into the numbers;
McKinley has 1 CB addition per 12.77 boys, while Massillon has 1 addition per 12.48 boys.
So technically, Massillon has a slightly higher CB # when looking at it proportionally to the size of the school.
Actually you need to go to the OHSAA website so you can read how the CB # is calculated. A CB of 37 doesn’t necessarily mean that there are 37 kids that transferred into WHS.

What do you think the CB # refers to. ??‍♂️
For public schools? Students who reside out of the school district, not necessarily transfers.
1655169283131.png

Steve lives in Perry but open enrolled to Massillon in the 9th grade and continues to live in the Perry school district.
Is Steve a transfer ?
What is the CB # for Steve ?

If they reside out of the school district they attend, that means they should be attending the school district they reside in, except they transferred/open enrolled if that school accepts open enrollment students. ??‍♂️
Yes, that’s what I said.

But I wouldn’t say a student who lives in the Perry district and enrolls at Washington after graduating from St. Joan of Arc a “transfer”

Steve lives in Perry but open enrolled to Massillon in the 9th grade and continues to live in the Perry school district.
Is Steve a transfer ?
Right I wouldn’t say Steve is a “transfer”, but is a tier 2 for athletics and will add 6 “students” to your enrollment for football division purposes

Last edited:
Yes What’s the cb# between a tier one and tier two according to that chart?
If I looked at it right for football each tier is 3x
So tier 0 students are 1 student
Tier 1 is 3
Tier 2 is 6
I can’t find where I found this though so I can’t guarantee it’s 100% correct.

Right I wouldn’t say Steve is a “transfer”, but is a tier 2 for athletics and will add 6 “students” to your enrollment for football division purposes
I don't believe the word transfer and open enrollment makes a difference anymore in determining cb numbers.

Yes, that’s what I said.

But I wouldn’t say a student who lives in the Perry district and enrolls at Washington after graduating from St. Joan of Arc a “transfer”
Who said anything about St Joan of Arc ?
Except that even in your example above that is still defined as a transfer.

Is Steve a transfer ?
Is there really a difference between open enroll and transfer? I don’t think the cb# really captures the difference according to the chart.
For this example, I would think young Steven would be considered a cb#2