OHSAA Competitive Balance Count 2022

They had a 105 count with a penalty of +2, thus coming in at 107, well under the 121 cutoff for D7.

According to ODE headcount, they had 76 seniors this year. Keep in my the headcount is both genders.

11th- 69
10th - 74
9th - 50
8th - 76
7th - 61

I think they are D7 for the indefinite future. Perhaps they are D6 for one year when OHSAA counts those 74, 50, and 76 person classes.
Both Genders?
Doesn't Ohsaa just count males for football in the 9, 10, and 11 grades?

I think there is a good chance they remain D2 this year and then D3 for quite awhile after that...they could dominate that division
Definitely won't dominate with goodes as the coach :ROFLMAO: The drop to D3 just means they'll get blown out by Chardon or Dover in the regional semis :ROFLMAO:

Benedictine base enrollment is 260
Chardon base enrollment is 342
Not double

Benedictine had the 3rd highest competitive balance number (120) in D2 behind Toledo Central Catholic and Hoban. If that number comes down they could drop to D3. Time will tell.
Sorry, the website I used for those numbers is not always the most accurate or up to date and it is definitely not what OHSAA uses(nces.edu.gov for those wondering). Where did you get your numbers from because they seem much more accurate

Sorry, the website I used for those numbers is not always the most accurate or up to date and it is definitely not what OHSAA uses(nces.edu.gov for those wondering). Where did you get your numbers from because they seem much more accurate
If I knew how to copy the link I would, but it’s on the OHSAA website. You have to navigate through to the enrollment figures… and the competitive balance numbers are on a different page.

It is Goode not Goodes lol...and I'm willing to put a wager on the game vs Chardon or Dover
Definitely won't dominate with goodes as the coach :ROFLMAO: The drop to D3 just means they'll get blown out by Chardon or Dover in the regional semis :ROFLMAO:
Has Chardon ever beaten Benedictine? I remember Bennie going Chardon in 2002 and being called everything in the dictionary, had the lights turned off them, had a clearly one sided game reffed against them and still won in the road. Also don’t recall losing to Dover…

Last edited:
Has Chardon ever beaten Benedictine? I remember Bennie going Chardon in 2002 and being called everything in the dictionary, had the lights turned off them, had a clearly one sided game reffed against them and still won in the road. Also don’t recall losing to Dover…
According to Joe Eitel, Chardon beat Benedictine in 2001 21-7

In 2001, an 8-5 Chardon team beat a 7-4 Benedictine team by the score of 21-7. In 2002, a 12-3 Benedictine team beat a 4-6 Chardon team 33-29. The lights went out on both teams that night. Ray Willliams was a sophomore in the 2001 game and put on a show in the 2002 game as a junior. In 2009 and 2010, bad Chardon and Benedictine teams played one another and split the series. Year in and year out, this probably would have been a pretty good matchup over the last 25-30 years. The 2008-2010 Chardon teams were bad which eventually led to Hewitt being hired as the head coach. The Hilltoppers have been pretty good since 2012. Chardon has had 6 undefeated regular seasons in school history - 3 in the last 6 years - and if Lynn Bowden had never been born, may have won the d2 state title in 2016 in addition to the last 2 back-to-back d3 titles. Looking forward to another exciting fall.

In 2001, an 8-5 Chardon team beat a 7-4 Benedictine team by the score of 21-7. In 2002, a 12-3 Benedictine team beat a 4-6 Chardon team 33-29. The lights went out on both teams that night. Ray Willliams was a sophomore in the 2001 game and put on a show in the 2002 game as a junior. In 2009 and 2010, bad Chardon and Benedictine teams played one another and split the series. Year in and year out, this probably would have been a pretty good matchup over the last 25-30 years. The 2008-2010 Chardon teams were bad which eventually led to Hewitt being hired as the head coach. The Hilltoppers have been pretty good since 2012. Chardon has had 6 undefeated regular seasons in school history - 3 in the last 6 years - and if Lynn Bowden had never been born, may have won the d2 state title in 2016 in addition to the last 2 back-to-back d3 titles. Looking forward to another exciting fall.

Would love to see BENE drop back into DIII where they should be and get back to some games with Chardon!

I do not understand how the fall season ended 1st weekend in December with the football Championships and in middle of April (3 1/2 months) the OHSAA does not have the CB numbers for 2023 fall sports. It is all a big secret. Enrollment numbers have been released to now just release the CB numbers for fall sports- approve your divisions in June as you plan.

Marion Local needs to be in D6 at the very least. They could probably run the table in 4 or 5 as well.
Does Marion Local win Division 6 last year? The momentum from that 2nd half of the Coldwater game never wore off I guess. They were on such a roll after that game that maybe not even a team like Carey with their size and scheme may have slowed them down.
I do think if MSML played Ursuline's or maybe even Massie's schedule they would have a couple losses.

Does Marion Local win Division 6 last year? The momentum from that 2nd half of the Coldwater game never wore off I guess. They were on such a roll after that game that maybe not even a team like Carey with their size and scheme may have slowed them down.
I do think if MSML played Ursuline's or maybe even Massie's schedule they would have a couple losses.

The key for Marion Local is that they started getting healthy at playoff time last year. The depleted team we saw against New Bremen in week 8, probably wasn't good enough to win D6. The healthier Flyers we saw in the playoffs would be a different story. I'd feel confident picking them over Carey. Probably could have won D5 also (they beat Versailles in week 3) As for D4, I'm not convinced Massie and Ursuline were better than Versailles and Kirtland. It's all conjecture but the healthier version of the Flyers may have been the best team D4 thru D6 last year.

EXCEPTION: If a non-public school system assigns all students to a specific high school based on the geographic location of the student’s parents. Factors shall be assigned as follows:
  • Tier 0 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning of the 7th grade and the student and at least one parent currently resides within the assigned attendance zone.
  • Tier 1 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning of 7th grade but the student and at least one parent currently resides outside the assigned attendance zone.
  • Tier 2 – the student did not attend the same system of education continuously since the beginning of 7th grade.
It only applies to Columbus because it's the only area that has fixed boundaries for the Catholic high schools. Basically all the feeder school kids are Tier 0 now instead of just the ones from the two designated attendance zones.

I am from Marion freaking Local and I am awake, they have more than 50 students in the 9th grade.
A quick look at the ODE enrollment spreadsheet from October 2021 shows that MSML had 73 freshman when that count was made. Assuming the gender ratio is 50/50 (with an odd overall number grant it) let's pretend there are / were 36 or 37 9th grade boys back in October. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't have every 9th grade boy on the team.

Grant it, it was 25 years ago but I attended a Delphos St. Johns playoff game at Lima Stadium in '96, maybe '97. Counted well over 80 kids dressed in uniform on the sideline. Counted another maybe 10-15 boys in marching band uniforms in the stands. Thought to myself that has to be every boy in the school haha.

EXCEPTION: If a non-public school system assigns all students to a specific high school based on the geographic location of the student’s parents. Factors shall be assigned as follows:
  • Tier 0 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning of the 7th grade and the student and at least one parent currently resides within the assigned attendance zone.
  • Tier 1 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning of 7th grade but the student and at least one parent currently resides outside the assigned attendance zone.
  • Tier 2 – the student did not attend the same system of education continuously since the beginning of 7th grade.
It only applies to Columbus because it's the only area that has fixed boundaries for the Catholic high schools. Basically all the feeder school kids are Tier 0 now instead of just the ones from the two designated attendance zones.
That’s huge. Maybe DeSales can avoid D2 in football and D1 in hoops

Desales will be d2 in football and d1 in all other sports
It looks like that and you may be right but without competitive balance numbers who knows? Other schools could pass them….less likely in football but definitely could happen in hoops