OHSAA Board Considers Football Playoff Change, Allowing Student-Athletes To Participate In Bordering Districts

Mislead much there Dave? You need clicks that bad?

Bylaw 431, Enrollment and Attendance, Exception 8 (New)

This proposed new exception would permit a student enrolled at a member public high school that does not sponsor a team sport in which the student desires to participate to petition to play that sport at a public school located in a bordering public school district pursuant to the bordering district’s duly adopted Board of Education resolution.
Reciprocal language has been developed for students in a multiple high school district. An OHSAA form would need to be utilized and, if approved by the Board of Education, must be on file at the OHSAA. Forms for the next school year must be received by the OHSAA Office by June 30 each year, and no student may participate at another school until approved by the Executive Director’s Office.

Mislead much there Dave? You need clicks that bad?

Bylaw 431, Enrollment and Attendance, Exception 8 (New)

This proposed new exception would permit a student enrolled at a member public high school that does not sponsor a team sport in which the student desires to participate to petition to play that sport at a public school located in a bordering public school district pursuant to the bordering district’s duly adopted Board of Education resolution.
Reciprocal language has been developed for students in a multiple high school district. An OHSAA form would need to be utilized and, if approved by the Board of Education, must be on file at the OHSAA. Forms for the next school year must be received by the OHSAA Office by June 30 each year, and no student may participate at another school until approved by the Executive Director’s Office.
That used to be the rule, right? I know we had kids come from a neighboring rural district to be on our swim team.

At one time I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about eligibility rules, but I gave up trying a long time ago.

Football playoff change lol. Everyone creating super teams in the playoffs when your team gets knocked out. This isnt the NBA Davey

Some clarification is needed here on this proposed change. Using Dave's example, could a Coldwater student play soccer at Celina in the fall, but remain enrolled at Coldwater and subsequently play basketball at Coldwater in the winter and baseball at Coldwater in the spring? Right now, that is most definitely not allowed public to public. To piggyback off that, using the above example, would a Coldwater student be obligated to play his/her winter and spring sports at Coldwater, or could that student hypothetically be able to play 3 different sports at 3 different schools in the same year?

Some clarification is needed here on this proposed change. Using Dave's example, could a Coldwater student play soccer at Celina in the fall, but remain enrolled at Coldwater and subsequently play basketball at Coldwater in the winter and baseball at Coldwater in the spring? Right now, that is most definitely not allowed public to public. To piggyback off that, using the above example, would a Coldwater student be obligated to play his/her winter and spring sports at Coldwater, or could that student hypothetically be able to play 3 different sports at 3 different schools in the same year?
That would get confusing.

May as well consolidate to Mercer County High School on an athletic point.

I know there have been kids at Wellington School in Upper Arlington play football at Grandview Hts because Wellington School does not offer football. So I think the rule in past may have been private schools not offering a sport can play at the school district inwhich they live.

I know there have been kids at Wellington School in Upper Arlington play football at Grandview Hts because Wellington School does not offer football. So I think the rule in past may have been private schools not offering a sport can play at the school district inwhich they live.
Or the public district in which their private school is located, if it's different.

Many school districts in Trumbull County don’t offer football, always thought those that wanted to play should be allowed to play for an adjoining district. Tricky part is the schools adjoin to to more than one district

I think this would be Great. I know a lot of Students coming up in the lower Grades at Hiland that would want to play football.

Many school districts in Trumbull County don’t offer football, always thought those that wanted to play should be allowed to play for an adjoining district. Tricky part is the schools adjoin to to more than one district
I doubt there is a district in Ohio that doesn't adjoin more than one district.

I see the day coming when the OHSAA will allow a student to attend a school any school and play football for another school even if the school he attends has a football program. Think I'm nuts. I'll bet there's posters on this site now who think that should be aloud.

I see the day coming when the OHSAA will allow a student to attend a school any school and play football for another school even if the school he attends has a football program. Think I'm nuts. I'll bet there's posters on this site now who think that should be aloud.
I am one, not a fan of it, but it is supposedly a free country is it not?

My only issue, and this might not even happen, is what’s stopping Parma and Normandy from dropping their football programs and having all their kids play at Valley Forge so they’re better?

I am worried about what happens to the other sports teams at the small schools. What happens to a small school boys program that fields track, baseball, and tennis in the spring when a few kids leave to go play lacrosse and a few more leave to play volleyball. Those kids leaving may have been sitting around, or they may have been on another roster.

Many of these schools don't offer every sport because their population won't support all of them. Too many kids leaving might jeopardize the sports that are already there.

I thought this was a rule already. I seem to remember an athlete from the Lima area played 1 sport at a neighboring school then playing basketball at his own school. Am I thinking correct?

I thought this was a rule already. I seem to remember an athlete from the Lima area played 1 sport at a neighboring school then playing basketball at his own school. Am I thinking correct?

I believe right now the rule is if you go to a private school, and that school doesn't offer a sport, you can play it at your home public.

But around Lima with all the recruiting and shady stuff that happens at all 5 schools....nothing would surprise me.

"...would permit a student enrolled at a member public high school...to petition to play that sport at a public school..."

I assume a petition could be denied.

I believe right now the rule is if you go to a private school, and that school doesn't offer a sport, you can play it at your home public.

But around Lima with all the recruiting and shady stuff that happens at all 5 schools....nothing would surprise me.
Yes...as well as the public district in which the private school is located.

JMO, but the implementation of this proposal ought to come with guardrails and protocols. I don't see how tenable "my school doesn't have football anymore, but there's four adjoining districts that have it so I can choose wherever to play" is. Not sure, either, how that works without coaches/families (intentionally or unintentionally) running afoul of recruiting rules over time.

One other tiff is this: what exactly is the mechanism to help resurrect programs at schools that go through dormancy if this comes into effect?

Example: School 'A' cancels girls' basketball for 2022-2023, citing low numbers. Two sisters, underclassmen, opt to play for neighboring School 'B' and their GBK team. Summer 2023 rolls around -- School 'A' says "if we have n girls (e.g. 7) sign up, we'll bring back the program for the upcoming winter", 'A' is at 5 sign-ups. The two who played at neighboring school 'B' hold out and don't sign up to play for the school they're enrolled at (school 'A'.) 'A' ends up not fielding GBK for the second consecutive year ('23-24.)

...there's no way to prevent that in this proposal?

Springing off that example: what are the eligibility procedures for offseason activities if this comes to pass?