OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

The regular season is mostly worthless in every division but completely worthless in D1
I agree with you (partially). The thing I like is for all those D1 teams struggling to get games because no one wants to play them. This at least in theory, may entice some teams to play the big dogs with nothing to lose and everything to gain. It also prepares teams for the playoffs by playing teams better than you. If more coaches thought like that, and this may help that, then the big boys in D1 may not have as many teams refusing to play them.

How about this?
after the 16 teams per region are chosen, they are divided into districts? (1,8,9,16)(2,7,10,15)(3,6,11,14)(4,5,12,13)
Making the playoffs is no longer the accomplishment it once was. District champion gives an goal at least close to what making the playoffs once was.

For DI, I totally agree. But for DII through DVII, it's great. There were good teams that missed the playoffs and could have won the whole thing if they got in.
Totally agree . At the lower levels the disparity between the say top 20 teams in the division is LESS than it is at the top 2 levels . Winning a state title at the D-1 or D-2 level is a different animal. At the lower levels teams who lose a small handful and barely get in or don't get in can make runs and be legitimate title contenders.

Some regions are just stacked and Mr. Harbin left out capable teams every year . At the D-1 level , especailly publics , you can't be one of those who loses 3-5 games { ST X did the trick but we know that's a bit different because of their schedule and how good they are most years} and be any kind of legit title threat. Winning ONE game is usually the max for thsee types of clubs. Even a team like say Massillon that gets multiple transfers some years can't crack the title code.

I liked the idea of 12 teams myself. 8 is ideal and making the play-offs was a legitimate accomplishment and making it pretty much every year seperated the top programs from the rest. 16 ? Again for D-1 and D-2 , the teams that get in at say as 12-16 seeds ? One game is the max they will win a large majority of the time . The odds of making a bit of a run { 2 wins or more} are greater for these lower seeds at the lower divisions.

For DI, I totally agree. But for DII through DVII, it's great. There were good teams that missed the playoffs and could have won the whole thing if they got in.
You make a great point but D-2 is really close to D-1 in terms of lower seeds having much of a chance .

Totally agree . At the lower levels the disparity between the say top 20 teams in the division is LESS than it is at the top 2 levels . Winning a state title at the D-1 or D-2 level is a different animal.
I’ve seen this argument quite often but I can’t agree. Tell most D5, D6, or D7 teams that winning a state title isn’t that difficult when they have to get past a Kirtland, Coldwater, or Marion Local.

I’ve seen this argument quite often but I can’t agree. Tell most D5, D6, or D7 teams that winning a state title isn’t that difficult when they have to get past a Kirtland, Coldwater, or Marion Local.
Didn't say it's difficult and that those programs aren't great, but the talent dispairty's are less at the lower levels. There is a reason that Catholics have won so many of the D-1 titles the last 30 years or so . Winton Woods is a good example in D-2 , but that is an exception . There aren't teams like that who just missed the play-offs being capable of winning five play-off games having to get through a couple power catholics to do so .

I love the 16 team playoffs...finally. Every other sports have a playoff with all teams. If a game isn't competitive, let the JV kids play in the 2nd half. Just relax!
While I think 12 was the right number , and there will be some terrible beatings , running clocks and JV players can lessen the blows . Week two it's back to the normal play-offs. The real difference is the devaluation of making it.

While I think 12 was the right number , and there will be some terrible beatings , running clocks and JV players can lessen the blows . Week two it's back to the normal play-offs. The real difference is the devaluation of making it.
You can think of it in two ways.
1. Your way.
2. Now there will be no more "what if comments". That WW team beat the DII Champ during the regular season! I say a True Champ will be had.

WW could have won it all a couple years ago in DII as a 9 seed.
So apparently they played a crappy schedule, this will only further encourage playing a crappy schedule. But that is still 1 in a 1000. We don't create playoffs to cover the 1 in a 1000 situation. It would be stupid. Ohh wait, they did the stupid.

So apparently they played a crappy schedule, this will only further encourage playing a crappy schedule. But that is still 1 in a 1000. We don't create playoffs to cover the 1 in a 1000 situation. It would be stupid. Ohh wait, they did the stupid.
Not sure why all the hate. There’s approximately 32 in each region and half make the playoffs. At least it’s not Ky where just about everyone gets in.

Not sure why all the hate. There’s approximately 32 in each region and half make the playoffs. At least it’s not Ky where just about everyone gets in.
It's not hate, it's logic. With 8 we see blow outs in the first and second rounds. That is all we needed to know, to know that we didn't need to expand it.

You can think of it in two ways.
1. Your way.
2. Now there will be no more "what if comments". That WW team beat the DII Champ during the regular season! I say a True Champ will be had.
I don't think 16 is as horrible as some do . 12 was a decent move I thought. With 8 teams a team can have some bad injury luck play a really tough schedule and lose really close games and were left out . They can also get harbined by a couple teams they beat having historically poor seasons . Happened all the time . Everyone gets in now. [If you don't ? look in the mirror lol } Week 2 the play-offs start as they used to . Not a huge deal .

It's not hate, it's logic. With 8 we see blow outs in the first and second rounds. That is all we needed to know, to know that we didn't need to expand it.
There were first and second round blowouts with four per region. Does that mean the switch to eight was unnecessary?

There were first and second round blowouts with four per region. Does that mean the switch to eight was unnecessary?
If you make it too small, you don't have a playoff at all. And it wouldn't follow logically that there were anywhere the same number of blow outs, by percentage, with only 4 teams vs what we see with 8.

I know what's going on here. Now all the schools that regularly make the playoffs and thump their chest and never sniff at a regional championship have no more chest thumping until they win it all. LOL! See below ........ poor MASSILI()N

I am now more interested in where they will host the state championships this year.

I feel like we need a thread with a poll on it to see what Yappi posters feel will be the site this year.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind them at Massillon again.

I have gone to state championships when they were played in Massillon and Canton going back and forth. I went when they were at OSU and then back to Canton. Going to all games I liked the back and forth of Canton and Massillon with parking passes the best.

I have gone to state championships when they were played in Massillon and Canton going back and forth. I went when they were at OSU and then back to Canton. Going to all games I liked the back and forth of Canton and Massillon with parking passes the best.
Definitely my preferred way. Other than just all the games scheduled reasonably at one stadium on one ticket with no huge gap between games. But OHSAA is incessant on making sure the few hundred fans who will go to more than one game have to pay. Meanwhile that forces everyone to have Thursday games, 10am games, 8pm games, etc.

Title games at 10 am are ridiculous. 8.00 pm? Not sure what's wrong with that . Your state title game should not be played at the same time as one of your pre-season scrimmages .

We see blowouts all the way through. Some places have the avg mov on finals games in each division......and none are within one acore

I liked it best when they were all at Massillon.

The booster club fed football coaches in the cafeteria between games and there was no charge for football coaches in the school van to park.

Park for free, watch game, eat, watch game, eat, watch game, drive to motel. Repeat tomorrow.