OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

I am not into every one gets a trophy. Want to make the play offs earn it, boy that is an old fashion idea isn't it.
Pretty old fashioned idea that I already explained to you.
Have an issue with playoffs....Go back to paper championships. There you go, no playing more than 10 games. Regular season games are meaningful then.

Make sure you and the others mad about "participation trophies" make sure to send back the various participation trophies you have been given/you have created for others.

Again, do you care what is best...Or are you a guy that has hung your hat on "well we made the playoffs" as your best accomplishments?

Lot of people here would have you believe that winning is the only that that high school football is about. Again, as I stated before. Go to some of the schools/communities that you and other "I'll tell you what is best for you" group keep saying will get crushed.

In most of the communities you and others have brought up. Winning is one of the least important things to long term opportunities for success for those on the team.

The reality is that D1, D2, D5, D6, D7

State title winners are the same handful of schools yearly. In that case why play the playoffs at all base on your logic? The same communities are there consistently. That isn't an accident. Other communities realistically will never win state. Ever. So they are playing for more than that.

I still think it would be neat to have a 9-game regular season. Top 8 teams from each regional qualify for the playoffs, which begins in week 10.

Any other team that didn’t qualify, allow them to play in a week 10 & 11 4-team bowl tournament (these opponents can be worked out many different ways, with varying degrees of travel and prep; teams don’t have to be in same division, or they can).

Teams that want to pack it up, see ya next year.

Playoff teams play for a regional and/or state championship.
Or, if you didn’t qualify for the playoffs, play for a bowl championship.
Teams would need to declare after week 8 if they want to play in the post-season or have equipment turn-in after week 9.

I am not into every one gets a trophy. Want to make the play offs earn it, boy that is an old fashion idea isn't it.
The more I have thought about this, the more bothered I am by it.

Let's be honest, when we made the playoffs (8 teams) you felt like you really earned it and accomplished something great as a team. It isn't easy to do. It made it special not an almost forgone conclusion that if you win 5 games you were in.

One thing I find funny, is these Admin on the OHSAA board who say, hey we want to give more people the special opportunity to make the playoffs. Then use other sports as letting all teams in as the example. Let's be honest, the early rounds of almost every other sports tournament are forgone conclusions as culture and talent usually predict the winners in lopsided games.

Football to me is/was the last bastian of working hard for a chance to earn something great. You had to practice and train hard for just 10 guaranteed chances to play the game. You had to EARN those extra games. It meant something to achieve that.

The OHSAA IMO will cheapen that by adding in more teams. I actually thought 12 would be fine to be honest. But, we will move to 16 and we will grow used to that as well. It will work out and be fine I am sure but I still feel like we are lowering standards and we can't keep doing that in every aspect of society.

I think I am just disappointed that our culture seems to say they want people to work hard and earn what they get, but when people aren't earning what they think they are ENTITLED to, we just widen the parameters to include more. We need to set a standard and stick to it, not lessen the standards to make more people feel good. Just my opinion

Last edited:
I have been involved in Ohio high school football in one capacity or another for over 50 years.

I like the expanded opportunity for players, coaches, schools, and communities.

Cleary I am not the elitist that many of you are.

I have been involved in Ohio high school football in one capacity or another for over 50 years.

I like the expanded opportunity for players, coaches, schools, and communities.

Cleary I am not the elitist that many of you are.
I honestly hope this is the right balance to be honest. It very well could be, and I am not closing my mind to the fact that this is all bad.

I mean, being able to host the first two rounds if you are a top 4 seed is a pretty nice prize for having a great season. I liked the idea of being able to host all the way to the regional final as the top seed to be honest. (in comes the grass vs. turf debate)

I would have liked to see how the 12 team idea played out too before moving to 16

I personally like the current format. However, If you were to poll all the high school players (not parents/coaches/admin), what do you think the results would be? I would assume they would be in favor of the new format...IMO.

I can't believe all the freaking whining on here. Basketball and baseball everyone is in. Now in Football you have to be the top 16 in your region to qualify. It doesn't water down anything except in DI. DI is the biggest. Now I think it might allow for a DI to play a top notch DV/DIV team. I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I think it's great for the kids.

I can't believe all the freaking whining on here. Basketball and baseball everyone is in. Now in Football you have to be the top 16 in your region to qualify. It doesn't water down anything except in DI. DI is the biggest. Now I think it might allow for a DI to play a top notch DV/DIV team. I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I think it's great for the kids.
Sample size is small I know but....
When I heard this the other day I txted the boy, who will be a Soph next year in a program that does not make the playoffs often.
HIs first reaction was 'thats dumb. it makes it 2 ez'.

I just wish they would have kept it 12 teams, I really do.
The teams who would end up playing that additional, 16th, game was going to be minimal.

If this was in the winter I would do a study like I did for the top 12 and the %'s per record to make it.

Some people bring up basketball and baseball and they all make it. Main difference I see is the physicality of said sports. The good teams will physically dominate and beat up those lesser teams, leading to possibly more injuries. Other sports......get drilled but it wont hurt as much!

Ironton is playing Moeller this year.... so I'll be interested in how that turns out

When I heard this the other day I txted the boy, who will be a Soph next year in a program that does not make the playoffs often.

The teams who would end up playing that additional, 16th, game was going to be minimal.

If this was in the winter I would do a study like I did for the top 12 and the %'s per record to make it.

Some people bring up basketball and baseball and they all make it. Main difference I see is the physicality of said sports. The good teams will physically dominate and beat up those lesser teams, leading to possibly more injuries. Other sports......get drilled but it wont hurt as much!
So you wouldn't like to see the top seed in R28, R26, R24 going up against a MAC school? I sure would.

Why could this have not happen:
16 teams in
More byes to the better seeds
Have lower seeds play each other (16v14) etc etc

Does that not balance all sides of the argument? Would that be to hard scheduling wise?

How about doing this as 2 year trial. If any 9-16 seed makes the final 4 in any division in either of those 2 years you continue with 16. If not, you go back to 8 per division.

Anyone who seeks the advice of a high school freshman gets what they deserve.

In 1972 the OHSAA started with 3 divisions and a total of 12 teams qualified for the playoffs. Today 28 divisions 448 Teams will qualify. Not against it just comparing the numbers. 1.7% of the teams qualified in 72. Today 63% qualify for the OHSAA FB Playiffs

Why could this have not happen:
16 teams in
More byes to the better seeds
Have lower seeds play each other (16v14) etc etc

Does that not balance all sides of the argument? Would that be to hard scheduling wise?
You really don't understand how it works, do you?
I am sorry the first word "why" in my opening confused you. I am not an administrator or coach or referee. My expertise on the matter is limited. Why could this not work in Ohio? Something harbins and all the lower seeds being physically to far away? For douche canoes who have had multiple concussions like chs1971 (71, lots of lead paint) please educate me why above is problematic.

16 teams in each region is like having a 64 team tournament in D1 college football. In both scenarios, roughly 50-65% of the teams involved are getting in. Ridiculous!

I personally like the current format. However, If you were to poll all the high school players (not parents/coaches/admin), what do you think the results would be? I would assume they would be in favor of the new format...IMO.
I think they would be for the 1st year, but then when half of them get murdered playing a team they have no business playing, they might change their minds.

16 teams in each region is like having a 64 team tournament in D1 college football. In both scenarios, roughly 50-65% of the teams involved are getting in. Ridiculous!
I think 8 is to few. For a lot of reasons. I think 16 is to many. For a lot of reasons. 12 seemed good. Again, I would rather more play in games with lower seeds vs each other. But not sure of the drawbacks, logistically challenges.

As a former player, I would rather have gotten destroyed by 50 by big team x than in the stands watching. Honestly, how many former or current players would not at least another time on the field with their brothers vs. << insert juggernauit here >>. Dont know, maybe I am a weirdo. I think old hats over emphasized the blowout aspect of it from a players perspective. Coaches want to coach against the best.

I am sorry the first word "why" in my opening confused you. I am not an administrator or coach or referee. My expertise on the matter is limited. Why could this not work in Ohio? Something harbins and all the lower seeds being physically to far away? For douche canoes who have had multiple concussions like chs1971 (71, lots of lead paint) please educate me why above is problematic.
Would it work sure you can make anything work, is it feasible no. 16 is a perfect number for a bracket no byes needed (just like 8). You say you want to give better teams a bye so week 1 top 8 get a bye and you have the following matchups 9-16, 10-15, 11-14, 12-13. After week 1 now you have 12 teams not perfect for a bracket so you need byes in week 2, teams 1-4 would have another by as teams 5-8 play winners from week 1. After week 2 you would then have 8 teams perfect for a bracket everyone plays but it will have been 3 weeks since teams 1-4 have played.