OHSAA announces school membership dues 21/22 school year

TR1982

$50 per OHSAA sanctioned sport in which the school participates.
What the dues will cover:
· Member schools will no longer pay any tournament entry fees, bowling lineage fees, golf green fees or wrestling weight management fees. The membership due is all-inclusive.
· Student scholarships will be reinstated during the 2021-22 school year.
· Student catastrophic insurance coverage for all student-athletes, cheerleaders, student managers and student athletic trainers during in-season and OHSAA tournament practices and contests will continue to be provided at no cost to member schools.
· OHSAA will continue to supply all team trophies and/or individual medals for champions, runners-up and other selected place-winners at the district, regional and state level.
· OHSAA will continue to supply rule books, sport manuals, online rules meeting presentations plus other publications and tournament administrator passes at no cost to member schools.
· OHSAA will continue to pay high school fees for ArbiterGame accounts.
· No membership dues will be levied against member 7th-8th grade schools.

Thoughts? We all knew this was coming.

I don't mind this at all and was actually expecting fees to be higher. I think we all knew the OHSAA previous model was going to be in serious jeopardy following the pandemic. You can complain about previous spending all you want but it doesn't do anything to help the future. Hopefully this allows kids the experiences teams in the past got to enjoy

Fall- football, volleyball, soccer (boys and girls), golf (boys and girls), cross country (boys and girls), girls tennis
WInter- basketball (boys and girls), hockey, bowling (boys and girls).
Spring- baseball, softball, track (boys and girls), boys tennis, lacrosse (boys and girls)

So the average school offers 16 schools at $50 per sport=$800 per average school
$800 times 750 schools=$600,000 for OHSAA.

Why are we acting like this is breaking news?
Its not that this is breaking news but it new. OHSAA has not charged membership fees and its the changing climate in the Covid era. May be just a one year thing but could be permanent. I think we are going to see the University's backing away a bit from hosting tournaments. OSU has let the OHSAA that hosting State Championship is not a priority for them. Football has shifted back to Canton, Basketball is now in Dayton for the next 3 years. Baseball and Softball are in Akron. Track is up in the air with this being at 3 Central District High Schools this year.
Track may end up back at OSU would be surprised if it ends up maybe in Mansfield or Dayton. It is what it is.

As long as this is for current operations, reviewed periodically, and not an excuse to add 10 people to the staff, I'd say go for it.

for what it’s worth, the OHSAA has the largest staff-to-school ratio of all 51 associations (50 states plus DC). About 48 schools per staff member. 51st place. It’s not like they’re over staffed.

Its not that this is breaking news but it new. OHSAA has not charged membership fees and its the changing climate in the Covid era. May be just a one year thing but could be permanent. I think we are going to see the University's backing away a bit from hosting tournaments. OSU has let the OHSAA that hosting State Championship is not a priority for them. Football has shifted back to Canton, Basketball is now in Dayton for the next 3 years. Baseball and Softball are in Akron. Track is up in the air with this being at 3 Central District High Schools this year.
Track may end up back at OSU would be surprised if it ends up maybe in Mansfield or Dayton. It is what it is.
From my reading of the article it seemed permanent, with a chance to increase prices to no more than $100. It would be evaluated every year to figure out whether to adjust price up or down.

Fall- football, volleyball, soccer (boys and girls), golf (boys and girls), cross country (boys and girls), girls tennis
WInter- basketball (boys and girls), hockey, bowling (boys and girls).
Spring- baseball, softball, track (boys and girls), boys tennis, lacrosse (boys and girls)

So the average school offers 16 schools at $50 per sport=$800 per average school
$800 times 750 schools=$600,000 for OHSAA.
Fall - field hockey
Winter - wrestling, swimming & diving (boys & girls), gymnastics

26 varsity sports. I have no idea how many the average school offers, but according to the OHSAA it ranges from 6 to 26.

2020-2021, except baseball and softball are from last year.

795 - boys basketball
788 - volleyball
783 - girls basketball
763 - baseball
749 - softball
709 - football
681 - boys track & field
649 - girls track & field
611 - boys cross country
605 - boys golf
575 - boys soccer
540 - girls soccer
526 - girls cross country
477- wrestling
416 - boys bowling
398 - girls tennis
386 - boys tennis
378 - girls bowling
349 - girls golf
325- girls swimming & diving
261 - boys swimming & diving
145 - boys lacrosse
131 - girls lacrosse
105 - gymnastics
78 - ice hockey
38 - field hockey

Last edited:

795 - boys basketball
788 - volleyball
783 - girls basketball
763 - baseball
749 - softball
709 - football
681 - boys track & field
611 - boys cross country
605 - boys golf
575 - boys soccer
540 - girls soccer
477- wrestling
416 - boys bowling
398 - girls tennis
386 - boys tennis
378 - girls bowling
349 - girls golf
145 - boys lacrosse
131 - girls lacrosse
105 - gymnastics
78 - ice hockey
38 - field hockey

12,261 teams equals $613,050.

Fall - field hockey
Winter - wrestling, swimming & diving (boys & girls), gymnastics

26 varsity sports. I have no idea how many the average school offers, but according to the OHSAA it ranges from 6 to 26.

795 - boys basketball
788 - volleyball
783 - girls basketball
763 - baseball
749 - softball
709 - football
681 - boys track & field
611 - boys cross country
605 - boys golf
575 - boys soccer
540 - girls soccer
477- wrestling
416 - boys bowling
398 - girls tennis
386 - boys tennis
378 - girls bowling
349 - girls golf
145 - boys lacrosse
131 - girls lacrosse
105 - gymnastics
78 - ice hockey
38 - field hockey
For individual sports those are only those with a certain number or more of athletes. T&F for example are both well above 750 that have at least 1 kid run at district meet. My guess between all those sport there are probably an additional 1000+ teams.

Necessary move. The schools need an organization to manage high school sports. Sometime I think people believe high school state tournaments can be organized and run by volunteers and minimal $. It takes real money.

It'll be interesting if the state earmarks some revenue from sports gambling back to youth/HS sports? I've seen some discussion about it using it for Pay-to-Play but not sure how it'd work since every district doesn't charge.

There are more schools that sponsor the individual sports than that are considered a "team" for OHSAA counting purposes. I am presuming schools will have to pay the entry fee if they have athlete(s) competing post-season in the individual sports (wrestling, track, XC, etc.) even if they do not end up meeting the "team" criteria (it's a different participation definition for each sport).

For individual sports those are only those with a certain number or more of athletes. T&F for example are both well above 750 that have at least 1 kid run at district meet. My guess between all those sport there are probably an additional 1000+ teams.
There are girls who compete in the district track meets who come from more than 100 different schools that do not have a track team?

That seems really weird.

In any case I got the numbers from the OHSAA, and their list is schools, not teams.

There are girls who compete in the district track meets who come from more than 100 different schools that do not have a track team?

That seems really weird.

In any case I got the numbers from the OHSAA, and their list is schools, not teams.
I understand where you got the numbers from OHSAA only counts it has a team is they have 7 or 9 (can't remember exact number) kids participate at district meet. Few years ago a team won D3 state title (Warren JFK?) but per OHSAA they were not counted as a team for the total team count. I read that there are 782 schools that sponsor track in HS.

What does the OHSAA need this money for since they consider themselves a non-profit? Sure they put on the championships but I would think that all the sponsorships would cover the cost of renting the venue. I'm not saying that the OHSAA is worthless, but you are basically charging a school $50 to enter the postseason. The OHSAA already gets all ticket sales from these postseason events.

Sounds like they are trying to cover salaries and legal costs.

What does the OHSAA need this money for since they consider themselves a non-profit? Sure they put on the championships but I would think that all the sponsorships would cover the cost of renting the venue. I'm not saying that the OHSAA is worthless, but you are basically charging a school $50 to enter the postseason. The OHSAA already gets all ticket sales from these postseason events.

Sounds like they are trying to cover salaries and legal costs.
Nonprofits have expenses too, or do you really think everyone is a volunteer?

Nonprofits have expenses too, or do you really think everyone is a volunteer?
Not at all, I'm simply saying that ticket sales, ads, and their old membership dues model would have kept it all afloat like it has for the recent history of the organization.

They have been wanting to add this yearly cost for a number of years, COVID just helped them get what they wanted. Again I ask, what do you think their expenses are that wouldn't be covered by ticket sales, ads, and dues?

Not at all, I'm simply saying that ticket sales, ads, and their old membership dues model would have kept it all afloat like it has for the recent history of the organization.

They have been wanting to add this yearly cost for a number of years, COVID just helped them get what they wanted. Again I ask, what do you think their expenses are that wouldn't be covered by ticket sales, ads, and dues?

A. There were no previous dues.

B. What the dues will cover:
· Bowling lineage fees, golf green fees or wrestling weight management fees. The membership due is all-inclusive.
· Student catastrophic insurance coverage for all student-athletes, cheerleaders, student managers and student athletic trainers during in-season and OHSAA tournament practices and contests will continue to be provided at no cost to member schools.
· OHSAA will continue to supply all team trophies and/or individual medals for champions, runners-up and other selected place-winners at the district, regional and state level.
· OHSAA will continue to supply rule books, sport manuals, online rules meeting presentations plus other publications and tournament administrator passes at no cost to member schools.
· OHSAA will continue to pay high school fees for ArbiterGame accounts.

if people think this is a fleecing of high schools for money, they should look into HUDL. They have the film market cornered in Ohio and many other states

A. There were no previous dues.

B. What the dues will cover:
· Bowling lineage fees, golf green fees or wrestling weight management fees. The membership due is all-inclusive.
· OHSAA will continue to pay high school fees for ArbiterGame accounts

There absolutely was a fee, it's due every 3 years. If not, ill have to ask for our schools check that has been cashed for no reason.

It's been that recently??? I thought it was longer than that.
That recent. They charged a fee from their inception over 100 years ago up to 1998. It’s been a relatively small amount of time, given the long history of the organization, that no yearly fees were charged.