OHSAA allowing host schools to televise and stream live football games

IndianaBanana

Well-known buffoon
Thanks to sportsvoice for sharing this hot-off-the-press news in another thread. But decided to make a new one, because you'd have to be in that prior one to know the conversation was in that direction.
I've been wanting this for a long time, and thrilled to see the OHSAA loosening their grip.

Friday Night Football Live Video Permission Goes to Host Schools for 2020 Season
Schools are encouraged to seek revenue from partners for live video of Friday night football games

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors has accepted a proposal from OHSAA staff that now allows schools to seek rights fees from local media outlets or video production companies to provide live video of their home regular-season Friday night football games during the 2020 season.

Since the mid-1990s, live video of Friday night regular-season football games has only been permitted by the host school on the school-owned TV station or website or the school-controlled webpage, leaving media to show Friday night games only on delay. At the time, that regulation was added at the request of a majority of OHSAA member schools to protect ticket revenue from their home games and have a statewide policy.

While continuing to provide their own live video, a growing number of schools have asked to partner with third-party sources to generate revenue from rights fees and pay-per-view of their Friday night home football games due to decreased crowd sizes that are expected this fall because of the coronavirus pandemic. Schools are already permitted to do that for all other regular-season contest in any sport, and regular-season football games that are not played on Friday.

“We believe that many of our schools will be able to work with partners to stream and televise their home regular-season football games,” said Bob Goldring, OHSAA Interim Executive Director. “Most of our schools rely on revenue from their home football games to help fund their athletic department, so this is one way that schools can still do that while facing limited ticket sales."

Spectrum News 1 is the official TV partner of the OHSAA. As the home of the OHSAA, Spectrum will resume its Friday Night Game of the Week and Scholar-Athlete program when the fall season begins.

Of note, live video of any OHSAA postseason tournament contest is still only permitted by the official TV partner of the OHSAA or with OHSAA approval.

As always, the host school controls media access and seating in the press box. Due to the pandemic, some schools will limit the number of people in the press box. For postseason games, host facilities are asked to follow the OHSAA’s press box priority seating guidelines, posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Football/FBMediaPressBoxMemo.pdf

Section 2 (television) and Section 4 (streaming) of the OHSAA media regulations will be updated to reflect the change for 2020 for Friday night regular-season football games. The OHSAA and Board of Directors will reevaluate the regulation prior to the 2021 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe the OHSAA will collect a small percentage from each broadcast.

But more likely, they will be happy to have the season occur, then they will own the rights to all the playoff games.

This should be allowed COVID or not, no reason schools should not be able to stream their games and charge a fee to do so.
tenor-1.gif

We're in the weird transition state where the older generation that doesn't want to learn and adapt are still in charge, and the young guns who all understand how to do it are still too young as a core.

View attachment 8913
We're in the weird transition state where the older generation that doesn't want to learn and adapt are still in charge, and the young guns who all understand how to do it are still too young as a core.
I am over 50, does that make me the older generation haha... I think one of the good things to come from COVID is it has shown many that we no longer have to do things the way they have always been done and people are more open to accept ideas they may have never considered accepting before.

Paying per game...... no way. Count me out. I can see thousands of games for free.

I would pay per season though, like $50 for a season pass for all games made available.....

If the OHSAA would make a concrete decision to open up broadcasting of games for a fee, we might start to see a couple companies dive into that market for a reasonable price. Not sure it will happen because schools make so much money from the other related things like concessions, spirit wear, parking, reserved seats, and 50/50.

We have live streamed all home events for awhile now, can watch it for free on delay, or live with a subscription. Want to say it is all events at the football field and basketball/volleyball....

If the OHSAA would make a concrete decision to open up broadcasting of games for a fee, we might start to see a couple companies dive into that market for a reasonable price. Not sure it will happen because schools make so much money from the other related things like concessions, spirit wear, parking, reserved seats, and 50/50.
Our local boosters will take a huge hit with no 50/50's that is for sure. Hosting the big matchup that would normallly be 8K or better.

Paying per game...... no way. Count me out. I can see thousands of games for free.

I would pay per season though, like $50 for a season pass for all games made available.....
I'd pay 5 or less per game for my school. Which is 50 if they play a full schedule

Is it online? or like a cable access? Not sure how one can limit an internet stream to only a specific radius.
Online. They started several years ago. On our local cable channel (Massillon Cable) they have replayed Massillon games since the 70s, for many years it was directly after the game but several years ago they moved it to Saturday, Sunday and tuesday.

I'd pay 5 or less per game for my school. Which is 50 if they play a full schedule

Advertising and sponsorship is enough where one would not the need to charge especially for a school the size of Mentor. Most of Mentor's games are on their youtube channel anyhow which is free.

Online. They started several years ago. On our local cable channel (Massillon Cable) they have replayed Massillon games since the 70s, for many years it was directly after the game but several years ago they moved it to Saturday, Sunday and tuesday.

Can you paste the link?

Honestly, OHSAA never enforced these rules anyways and they don't have the resources to even in normal times.

You not supposed to show live video of playoff games.....many prominent schools show them anyways, and some charge a fee seperate from OHSAA

You are supposed to have student run, student majority broadcasts to show live video of away games....many schools don't do this or have 1 or 2 token students "working" on the broadcast team and its really the adults doing all the talking and running the show.

The enforcement is like one guy responding to emails, there isn't some cabal of OHSAA officers monitoring 100+ webcasts each Friday.

Honestly, OHSAA never enforced these rules anyways and they don't have the resources to even in normal times.

You not supposed to show live video of playoff games.....many prominent schools show them anyways, and some charge a fee seperate from OHSAA

You are supposed to have student run, student majority broadcasts to show live video of away games....many schools don't do this or have 1 or 2 token students "working" on the broadcast team and its really the adults doing all the talking and running the show.

The enforcement is like one guy responding to emails, there isn't some cabal of OHSAA officers monitoring 100+ webcasts each Friday.
Yep, you nailed it. Our radio station made a complaint about this sort of thing and nothing was done. We figured probably only complaints from Spectrum or their lawyers would draw action.

I figured as much. It's funny the amount of people that actually think that though.

Look for several of the Muskingum Valley League teams to live stream pay per view via Storied Rivals.
Storied Rivals did the graduation broadcast for many of those schools in May and June.
It has been in the works for weeks.