Ohio's version of "Hoosiers"

Which Ohio team most closely compares to the Milan team in "Hoosiers"?

• 1934 & 1935 Waterloo Wonders

• 1946 Farmer Tigers (the "Dirty Shirts")

• 1949 Miller City Wildcats

• 1992 Berlin Hiland

• 2000 Fort Jennings

• 2006 South Webster

• 2008 New Knoxville

• 2015 Defiance

• 2018 Marion Local

• Other

• 1928 Marshall

Results are only viewable after voting.
Interestingly enough they knocked off unbeaten New Knoxville in the regional final......and they only played 5-6 guys a game consistently.
True, they did beat that young New Knoxville team that year by 3 in the Regionals. But we all saw what they did the next year. Not discounting what Georgetown did but just my opinion of that year.

Being that I had 2 uncles(brothers) on the team, I have to go with the 1949 Miller City Wildcats. If memory serves me correctly from family stories, both uncles went to New Cleveland school until it was consolidated into Miller City Schools.

Joe Lammers, Frank Schroeder, and the Meyer boys (Ralph & Roy) all lived near each other close to New Cleveland. New Cleveland never had a high school, but did have a grade school. Attached is a picture of the 1950 MC Wildcats.
MC 1950-1.jpg

Here's an article about the 1996 Springfield Catholic Central championship. Courtesy of the Springfield News-Sun. Jason Collier is another one of those players who doesn't get enough mention in the "Best Players from Ohio" conversation.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/...-game-years-ago-today/M2OPwcFbSnHMnAkfT3K2UK/
I’m well aware because Lincolnview lost to them but ran the table in 97. Heck, that Lincolnview team is one of the best d4 teams ever too from 97.

It would be a great movie, coming from Springfield and being one of the best unmentioned player that had a heart of gold and made the big leagues. That's all.

It would be a great movie, coming from Springfield and being one of the best unmentioned player that had a heart of gold and made the big leagues. That's all.
Agreed but it is not like Springfield is small by any means.

Agreed, but when you say Springfield, some think Akron area due to Akron Springfield. I just thought it would make a great movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here is a bio on Jason Collier courtesy of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame. Jason was inducted in 2018. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 28 due to an enlarged heart. It's only fitting that he, and his Springfield Catholic Central team, be remembered here.

https://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/2018/jason-collier.html

And lest we forget the team and the title itself... (Courtesy of the Springfield News-Sun)

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/...-game-years-ago-today/M2OPwcFbSnHMnAkfT3K2UK/

Georgetown's undefeated state title run has to be one of the most underrated out there...no one saw it coming...few even noticed they were unbeaten in the regular season....and no one's really mentioned it since.
A team of destiny. Really remarkable what they did.

My son was a post for the Berlin Hiland team that Gtown squeaked by in the semis. He wont talk about that game to this day. Lol. Gtown went on to blow out Worthington Christian in the finals, so the Hawks felt like that was a championship that got away.

From the Hiland perspective, it was one of the most bizarre games in school history. The Hawks got out to a 16-5 lead after 1. They had a star injured player that had been in a coma and the team had been playing for him. He was put into the game early in the 2nd qtr and something weird happened psychologically to that team. They did not score a single point that qtr and trailed 21-16 at half.

The entire 2nd half was about Hiland trying to get their heads on straight. Neither team could score down the stretch in a 1 point game. Remarkably, Hiland's best player never touched the ball the last 8 possessions.

But those Georgetown kids did what they had to do, took advantage of their opportunities and were very deserving champs. But dont mention that to my son!

As a corollary to the "Teams from schools that no longer exist" thread, the Waterloo Wonders were, indeed (and rightfully so!), mentioned prominently as a candidate for "Ohio Hoosiers"

Why in the world is Defiance included in this poll? They were D2 when they won....hardly a "Hoosiers" type scenaro

Here's an article about the 1996 Springfield Catholic Central championship. Courtesy of the Springfield News-Sun. Jason Collier is another one of those players who doesn't get enough mention in the "Best Players from Ohio" conversation.

Some points about that Springfield Catholic 1996 D4 state championship team:
They returned their entire starting lineup from a 1995 state runner-up team (losing to Liberty-Benton...another all-time great D4 team..and future NCAA champion at Michigan State, A.J. Granger) and added senior transfer Jonathan Powell, who played for D1 Western Michigan.
One of their only losses of the season was 65-60 to Pennsylvania state champion Lower Merion High School and it's star senior, Kobe Bryant (amazingly, that game can be seen here:
).
They handily beat a number of big schools including Cincinnati D1 powerhouse Moeller by 18.
Despite winning by large amounts in their final three tournament games, in the regional semifinals they only won 39-38 over an unranked Cincinnati Madeira team that had never won a district championship until that season. Jason Collier had 25, Jonathan Powell 10, and point guard Jason Ronai had 4. SCC led 22-12 at halftime and 30-19 after 3, but Madeira took its first lead of the game in the final minute.

This is my favorite thread on this site.
I will rank my choices:
1) Miller City 1950
2) Farmer 1946
3) Holgate 2004
4) Ft. Jennings 2000
5) Waterloo 1934-35

All very very small rural public schools.

Just caught on that this was a previous thread that had been bumped up after a couple years.

"Modern" history New Knoxville fits the bill about as well as is possible in the present day. Marshall, Farmer, Waterloo, Miller City, etc. from 1950 and earlier are good examples of "Hoosiers"-esque championship teams.

The four divisions we now have in Ohio may make the true "Hoosiers" comparison more difficult. Hopefully there are some old timers checking out this thread who can regale us with tales of teams from pre-1988 when there were 3 divisions or even pre-1971 when there were only two.
Yeah, your pre-1971 Ohio…with just AA and A would be where you will find the best approximation of Hoosiers in Ohio.

The Roger Bacon over SVSM was huge, of course, due to LeBron and all the high level talent on the Irish, but I’m not inclined to have a private over another private be my Hoosiers story.

This is my favorite thread on this site.
I will rank my choices:
1) Miller City 1950
2) Farmer 1946
3) Holgate 2004
4) Ft. Jennings 2000
5) Waterloo 1934-35

All very very small rural public schools.
Any reason why 2008 New Knoxville not in your top 5? They’re comparable to both Miller City and Ft Jennings. Maybe they’re your #6.

Yeah, your pre-1971 Ohio…with just AA and A would be where you will find the best approximation of Hoosiers in Ohio.

The Roger Bacon over SVSM was huge, of course, due to LeBron and all the high level talent on the Irish, but I’m not inclined to have a private over another private be my Hoosiers story.
I agree their story is best left for the other thread. Also, for anyone who saw how well Bacon played against STVM in the regular season, maybe we shouldn't have been so surprised by the outcome of the title game. The final was no fluke. Again, that game and that Bacon team has its own thread. A great game, a great team, but not "Hoosiers", so to speak.

2008 New Knoxville winning it all for their first championship. Town of less than 1,000 and a school of 150 ish 9-12. Unbelievable team I might add that year too.

Also 2018 Marion Local upsetting Cornerstone Christian in OT for the state championship. One of the best games I’ve ever seen.
That New Knoxville team was an absolute joy to watch. Their passing and moving was like clockwork--and they could shoot it. It's the type of basketball I prefer as opposed to everything being off the dribble like many teams today.

Any reason why 2008 New Knoxville not in your top 5? They’re comparable to both Miller City and Ft Jennings. Maybe they’re your #6.
That New Knoxville team was a good team. I remember them well. If I remember correctly, most of the players were juniors. They could of won 2 in a row. They easily could be in my top 5. I am from Holgate originally. My dad played on a great Holgate team in 1947 who lost to New Knoxville in the Regionals when Holgate's 6-6 center could not play due to flu. I love it when small schools with 30, 40, 50, 60 boys in top 3 grades win it.

That New Knoxville team was a good team. I remember them well. If I remember correctly, most of the players were juniors. They could of won 2 in a row.
I don't think you remember them that well because I believe 4 of their starting 5 and 5 of the main 6 players were seniors.