Ohio's Highest HS Football Winning Percentages All-Time

Do you actually believe this, Wyoming is going to “surpass MW in any all-time record-keeping category that has to do with winning HS football games.” It doesn’t matter how you want to twist the info, the winningest high school football program still is Massillon Washington with 920 wins. Wyoming is 752, if your numbers are accurate.
Yup-- Wyoming wins a higher percentage of its HS football games than Massillon Washington does-- Wyoming has won 752 and lost 221-- for a winning percentage of 77.287% for Wyoming-- Massillon Washington has won 932 and lost 298-- for a winning percentage of 75.772%... in every math book you can find, 77.287% is HIGHER than 75.772%... I know it's hard for you to grasp, with your Massillon Washington education--but it's the truth-- THEM's the facts.

Last edited:
Major League Baseball didn't go south of Washington, DC, and Cincinnati. It didn't go west of Saint Louis. That didn't change until the 1950's.
Fans across the country followed Major League Baseball teams from far away-- there were Brooklyn Dodger fans all across the south, because of Jackie Robinson-- black fans would come into both Cincinnati and St. Louis on trains in huge numbers to see the Dodgers face the Reds and Cards, when the Dodgers were in town... Likewise, there were Yankee fans all across the country in those days-- I worked for one, who grew up in Iowa and Minnesota.

Going into the 2018 season, Wyoming's playoff record in 23 seasons of qualifying was 19-22.
Not sure where you found that stat-- I looked for it, but was only able to get data from 2004-- including from the OHSAA site and MaxPreps.

However, your data corresponds and substantiates what I pointed out earlier-- there are no "missing years of data" in Wyoming's all-time record (as claimed by both Wyoming HS and the OHSAA):
Your data indicates that Wyoming had played 41 playoff games in 99 seasons (up to 2018)-- subtracting those 41 playoff games from the 954 games Wyoming had played (entering the 2018 season) leaves 913 regular season games for the period prior to 2018. 913 games in 99 seasons would be an average of 9.22 regular season games per season for that 99-season time period; Wyoming would have had to play 10.49 games/season from 1930-2017 to have played 913 regular season games in that 87-season time period-- an impossibility in an era when either 9 or 10 games was the maximum that any Ohio HS team could play in a season...

In other words, THERE ARE NO MISSING GAMES IN WYOMING's ALL-TIME HS FOOTBALL RECORD (from 1919-1930, or any other period).

Do you actually believe this, Wyoming is going to “surpass MW in any all-time record-keeping category that has to do with winning HS football games.” It doesn’t matter how you want to twist the info, the winningest high school football program still is Massillon Washington with 920 wins. Wyoming is 752, if your numbers are accurate.
You cant even give Wyoming the credit for having a higher winning percentage than Massillon. Most people will tell you that a higher winning percentage over a fair minimum number of games is more impressive than total wins. Especially when one team has been playing for 60 years more than the other. Three things I’d bet on
1. In the last 50 years Wyoming has more wins than Massillon
2. In the last 50 years Wyoming has more state titles than Massillon 😉
3. Wyoming’s winning percentage is higher than Massillon's in the last 50 years.
Im sure one of you Massillon Yappites can prove me wrong and find ways to minimize Wyomings achievements and over inflate yours.

Not sure where you found that stat-- I looked for it, but was only able to get data from 2004-- including from the OHSAA site and MaxPreps.

However, your data corresponds and substantiates what I pointed out earlier-- there are no "missing years of data" in Wyoming's all-time record (as claimed by both Wyoming HS and the OHSAA):
Your data indicates that Wyoming had played 41 playoff games in 99 seasons (up to 2018)-- subtracting those 41 playoff games from the 954 games Wyoming had played (entering the 2018 season) leaves 913 regular season games for the period prior to 2018. 913 games in 99 seasons would be an average of 9.22 regular season games per season for that 99-season time period; Wyoming would have had to play 10.49 games/season from 1930-2017 to have played 913 regular season games in that 87-season time period-- an impossibility in an era when either 9 or 10 games was the maximum that any Ohio HS team could play in a season...

In other words, THERE ARE NO MISSING GAMES IN WYOMING's ALL-TIME HS FOOTBALL RECORD (from 1919-1930, or any other period).

You can find all the playoff data here. This is through the 2021 season
Wyoming has a playoff record of 32-25 in 27 years of playoff appearances with a 2-1 record in championship games, winning in 1977 and 2018.

Crimson and Clover—-I see you flunked math. Wyoming started football in 1918. The Tigers started in 1891. Yet, you posted the difference was 60 years. Great math. This sounds like 4GX’s numbers. Again, one of your purposes on Yappi is to discredit Massillon. Whatever things you post, it won’t change these numbers: 6-41-3.🐅 Try to dispute them.

Not sure where you found that stat...
My own data. Data that I created originally from the link that @pcbuck (y)provided, then a lot of online/library research for the '80s-90s for which OHSAA doesn't have detailed data, such as who lost when in the playoffs.

Also, I haven't looked at the latest file available from the OHSAA, but the one I used to start my data in 2020 had a few errors in it.

Reactions: 4GX
Crimson and Clover—-I see you flunked math. Wyoming started football in 1918. The Tigers started in 1891. Yet, you posted the difference was 60 years. Great math. This sounds like 4GX’s numbers. Again, one of your purposes on Yappi is to discredit Massillon. Whatever things you post, it won’t change these numbers: 6-41-3.🐅 Try to dispute them.
Actually Wyoming started football in 1919, according to that 100th Anniversary story-- but still, that gives Massillon Washington an extra 29 years more than Wyoming of playing interscholastic HS football-- so, it's not at all surprising that Massillon Washington has won more total games than Wyoming has-- Massillon Washington has simply won those games at a lower (slower) rate than Wyoming does-- Massillon emphasizes quantity over quality-- kind of like the Russian and Chinese armies do, whereas the US armed forces emphasize quality over quantity...

It's nothing to be ashamed of, if you are a Massillon Washington supporter-- and also nothing to be afraid to acknowledge-- sometimes, somebody else (newer to the game) does things better than you do-- in this case, since Wyoming picked up the game, Wyoming has played it more successfully than Massillon Washington has-- it's OK for you to admit that-- it doesn't mean that Massillon Washington hasn't had a lot of success, too.

I don’t, but as for defunct schools that won a title….what about CAPE?
I tried to look up CAPE's record-- but I couldn't find aggregate data for the "school"-- I know that CAPE won at least 3 state championships-- and existed for around ~20 years-- but there is not exactly a robust alumni association for CAPE, posting information about it.

My own data. Data that I created originally from the link that @pcbuck (y)provided, then a lot of online/library research for the '80s-90s for which OHSAA doesn't have detailed data, such as who lost when in the playoffs.

Also, I haven't looked at the latest file available from the OHSAA, but the one I used to start my data in 2020 had a few errors in it.
Thanks for that info on Wyoming's playoff record through 2017-- I was trying to approximate (from memory) how many playoff games Wyoming had played pre-2004 (which is when MaxPreps picks up the narrative)... I know that Wyoming had at least 4 playoff games very early on (runner-up in 1975, champs in 1977), but then between 1980-2003, I was working from my best recollection-- I obviously undercounted by about ~10 playoff games-- but you filled in the blanks for me... It allowed me to disprove the claim that Wyoming was failing to include ~12-13 years of football results in its overall record.

Thanks for that info on Wyoming's playoff record through 2017-- I was trying to approximate (from memory) how many playoff games Wyoming had played pre-2004 (which is when MaxPreps picks up the narrative)... I know that Wyoming had at least 4 playoff games very early on (runner-up in 1975, champs in 1977), but then between 1980-2003, I was working from my best recollection-- I obviously undercounted by about ~10 playoff games-- but you filled in the blanks for me... It allowed me to disprove the claim that Wyoming was failing to include ~12-13 years of football results in its overall record.
Next challenge is to resolve the discrepancy in this, taken from the yappi wiki thru 2021. # games doesn't add up. Thru 2021 games played = 985.

1669263672490.png

Next challenge is to resolve the discrepancy in this, taken from the yappi wiki thru 2021. # games doesn't add up. Thru 2021 games played = 985.

View attachment 36477
I'm not sure where the data is coming from on that first line in your attached exhibit-- I have Wyoming at 738-221-48 (for a winning percentage of either 76.955% excluding ties, or 73.287% including ties), through 2021-- for a total of 1007 games through 2021 (and then 14-0 so far in 2022, for a total of 1021 games all-time, so far).

I built my record by aggregating Wyoming's records in 2018-2022 (so far) to the data listed back in 2018-- in the story about Wyoming's then upcoming 100th season-- the Wyoming Alumni Association's website (which had the story on the upcoming 100th season) included a video that showed that Wyoming entered the 2018 season with an all-time record of 688-218-48 (a total of 954 games)... and then Wyoming went 15-0 in 2018, 13-1 in 2019, 10-1 in 2020, 12-1 in 2021, and now 14-0 in 2022-- an additional 64-3 over that span; adding those 67 games to the previous 954 puts Wyoming's total games played at 1021, not 985...

Actually Wyoming started football in 1919, according to that 100th Anniversary story-- but still, that gives Massillon Washington an extra 29 years more than Wyoming of playing interscholastic HS football-- so, it's not at all surprising that Massillon Washington has won more total games than Wyoming has-- Massillon Washington has simply won those games at a lower (slower) rate than Wyoming does-- Massillon emphasizes quantity over quality-- kind of like the Russian and Chinese armies do, whereas the US armed forces emphasize quality over quantity...

It's nothing to be ashamed of, if you are a Massillon Washington supporter-- and also nothing to be afraid to acknowledge-- sometimes, somebody else (newer to the game) does things better than you do-- in this case, since Wyoming picked up the game, Wyoming has played it more successfully than Massillon Washington has-- it's OK for you to admit that-- it doesn't mean that Massillon Washington hasn't had a lot of success, too.

Honest question…does Wyoming play the level of schools that Massillon, Canton, WWR/WGH, etc play/played? I’ve never seen their compiled schedules. I just don’t think of Wyoming in the same light as those others, but maybe I have a thing or two to learn about Wyoming.

Fans across the country followed Major League Baseball teams from far away-- there were Brooklyn Dodger fans all across the south, because of Jackie Robinson-- black fans would come into both Cincinnati and St. Louis on trains in huge numbers to see the Dodgers face the Reds and Cards, when the Dodgers were in town... Likewise, there were Yankee fans all across the country in those days-- I worked for one, who grew up in Iowa and Minnesota.
Jackie Robinson didn't play Major League Baseball until 1947. So, tell me about all the years before that.

I have updated my original table on Ohio's highest all-time HS football winning percentages, to reflect new data (from a Warren Western Reserve supporter and a Cincinnati Moeller supporter); the new data is as follows:

View attachment 36476

When ties are excluded from the overall record (as some sports statisticians calculate), Wyoming has the highest all-time Ohio HS football winning percentage (77.287%); if ties are included in the overall record, Cincinnati Moeller has the highest all-time Ohio HS football winning percentage (76.246%).
South Range all time record (through last week) 467 wins 157 losses and 4 ties. 74.83%

Go here:

This guy started with Virginia and West Virginia. Because of out-of-state games, he did a lot of research for schools outside the two states.

Bellaire 712-404-53 63.2%
Dover 702-368-39 65.1%
Ironton 732-377-47 65.4%
Martins Ferry 728-414-40 63.3%
New Philadelphia 681-431-47 60.8%
Saint Clairsville 595-341-45 62.9%
Wheelersburg 591-273-14 68.1%
Youngstown Cardinal Mooney 505-209-10 70.4%
Youngstown Ursuline 539-359-33 59.7%
Zanesville 648-408-30 61.0%

Honest question…does Wyoming play the level of schools that Massillon, Canton, WWR/WGH, etc play/played? I’ve never seen their compiled schedules. I just don’t think of Wyoming in the same light as those others, but maybe I have a thing or two to learn about Wyoming.
Wyoming doesn't even play the level of schools that the top teams in Div. IV play, let alone the top teams in higher divisions...

Strength of schedule
(based on all regular-season games)
#83 of 105 in Division 4

If you take out the question of SoS, and only look at playoff winning percentages, the numbers are slightly different.
From 1999 through this year (because I'm lazy and only used the numbers Joe Eitel has)
Wyoming has a record of 29 - 18 with a winning % of 62%
While Massillon has a record of 40 - 18 with a winning % of 69%
And for the sake of full disclosure
Steubenville Big Red has a record of 54 - 19 with a winning % of 74% (again, very consistent!)

For teams with 25+ playoff appearances, playoff winning % top-to-bottom through last week.

NOTE: I cannot recall if my data has the two Colerain forfeited wins accounted for in their 49 wins.

1669326393794.png

For teams with 25+ playoff appearances, playoff winning % top-to-bottom through last week.

NOTE: I cannot recall if my data has the two Colerain forfeited wins accounted for in their 49 wins.

View attachment 36495
Wow, I'm impressed with how quickly you got the data out there. I am impressed, BUT I'm gonna have to call in to question the validity of the data you used! You see, you have Wyoming all the way down there at 23rd with only a 59% winning percentage! What your data clearly fails to illustrate is that Wyoming didn't start their football program until 1930, and when they celebrated their 100 years of football in 2018, it really wasn't their 100 year anniversary since they really didn't start their program until 1919 and the fact that a lot of these other programs started their programs in the late 1800's provides them with an unfair advantage in preparing for the days when playoffs become relevant. So subsequently the data needs to be normalized to adjust for the unfair advantage of these other older schools starting their programs much earlier. So if the numbers are PROPERLY done, you'd see that Wyoming is actually sitting in first place with a winning percentage of 88.72%
I trust you will make the proper adjustments to the numbers and repost!

/s <---for those that don't know...Oh and it's a joke...

Jackie Robinson didn't play Major League Baseball until 1947. So, tell me about all the years before that.
First, somebody here said that MLB had no following nationally until the latter part of the 20th Century-- that was flatly wrong-- 1947 is the first half of the 20th Century... But, in the 1920's and 1930's, fans used to take trains into the cities like St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Chicago, from all over the South and Midwest, to see the MLB (and Negro League) teams play in those cities (there were two MLB teams in St. Louis and Chicago then); my Dad talked about seeing the fans streaming off of trains at Cincinnati's Union Terminal to go to the games (within 5 minutes walk) at Crosley Field-- before WWII. Then, in the off-season, most of the big name MLB players did barnstorming tours (often with Negro League players like Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson) across the country, to all sorts of burgs (big and small)-- that's how/why Babe Ruth was the biggest sports star in America from the early 1920's to the late 1930's.

Wyoming's current league is very weak; however, when Wyoming had its best teams (in the days preceding the OHSAA playoffs-- they had a team in the 1960's that was unbeaten and unscored upon), they played in a MUCH better league, against MUCH bigger schools.