Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Clemson by 1-7 points

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Clemson by 8-14 points

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clemson by 15+ points

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Last years Ohio State team was better than last years Clemson team and was proving that on the field until that targeting call, OSU was scared to breathe on Trevor Lawrence for the next two drives. I believe this years brevity of game time may be more harmful than good, lack of reps. lack of timing, ohh I hope I'm wrong.

Buckeyes have to find offense that doesn't rely on Fields using his legs. They seem to fall back into it whenever they hit any kind of resistance running out of the backfield. I haven't been impressed with Teague or Sermon despite their numbers the past couple of games. I just don't see them doing much against Clemson

Buckeyes have to find offense that doesn't rely on Fields using his legs. They seem to fall back into it whenever they hit any kind of resistance running out of the backfield. I haven't been impressed with Teague or Sermon despite their numbers the past couple of games. I just don't see them doing much against Clemson
Wait, you weren’t impressed with Sermon? ?

I wasn't that impressed with Sermon as much as I was impressed with the O line. There were some serious holes being made Saturday. For the Buckeyes to have a remote shot they gotta give Fields time
Olave and Wilson are top tier receivers, however when those two aren't playing there's a huge drop in production at the WR Spot

I hope all you Buckeye fans realize that Clemson is going to beat the Bucks by 40 to 50 points. So no whining after the slaughter.
Put your money where your mouth is. So as I'm reading this, you're giving OSU how many points? I'll take that bet.

I wasn't that impressed with Sermon as much as I was impressed with the O line. There were some serious holes being made Saturday. For the Buckeyes to have a remote shot they gotta give Fields time
Olave and Wilson are top tier receivers, however when those two aren't playing there's a huge drop in production at the WR Spot
They do give Fields time, but he holds the ball forever.

both teams lost alot of players to the NFL, but I think Clemson has looked much better than the Buckeyes this year from the eye test perspective. Lawrence looked great against ND, Fields is banged up and just has not had the season many expected. Clemson is going to send the house at him and they won't be able to run the ball like they did against an inferior Northwestern team.

both teams lost alot of players to the NFL, but I think Clemson has looked much better than the Buckeyes this year from the eye test perspective. Lawrence looked great against ND, Fields is banged up and just has not had the season many expected. Clemson is going to send the house at him and they won't be able to run the ball like they did against an inferior Northwestern team.

Northwestern actually had a solid defense in 2020, they had numerous LBs and DBs on the all B1G team and their DC announced retirement the week of the Title Game so they were playing their a-s off for the guy. Add in that they lost 0 players and days to the Covid so they could put a lot of different packages into their game plan where as tOSU was limited.

I do agree that Venables will send the house at Fields with run blitzes on 1st down and pass blitzes once they get them behind the chains. In a perfect world the way you beat this is by using this aggressive game plan against them. If Day had more time he would be wise to add a package of the NFL Shanan offense with a lot of wide zone runs that beats on the smallish pass rushing DEs that Clemson has and if the LBs or backside DL crashes down to support then the RBs cut back against the grain for a big gain. I see a little of this currently in the Day offense but not enough. Then you add play action and go over the top if the Safeties get too involved in run support. The key would be the tOSU TEs, could they make that block against the DEs and still be able to get involved in pass receiving?

Last edited:
It was a nice fluke game but he’s not Zeke
NCAA Offensive team rankings for these for teams
Pts per game
Alabama - 2
Clemson - 4
tOSU - 8
ND - 22
Yds per game
Alabama - 5
tOSU - 6
Clemson - 11
ND - 22
Passing yards per game
Alabama - 5
Clemson - 7
tOSU - 42
ND - 57
Rushing yards per game
tOSU - 5
ND - 21
Alabama - 43
Clemson - 64
NCAA Defensive team rankings for these four teams
Pts allowed per game
Clemson - 11
ND - 14
Alabama - 20
tOSU - 24
Yds allowed per game
Clemson - 6
ND - 21
Alabama - 33
tOSU-34
Rushing yards allowed per game
tOSU - 7
Clemson - 9
Alabama - 12
ND - 16
Passing yards allowed per game
Clemson - 27
ND - 56
Alabama - 76
tOSU - 103

Side note - Cincinnati ranks above ND in every category, except rushing yards allowed per game - where Cinci is 19.

On the defensive side of the ball what is going on with Zach Harrison? He was slated to be the heir apparent to the tOSU DE dynasty and I am just not feeling it at this point in his career. Solid but not transformative. I would also like to see more Justin Hilliard if he is the LB with the hot hand. The LB play will be key in keeping Etiene in check and also not allowing Lawrence to make things happen with his feet when the play breaks down.

If the Luckeyes can pull this one off one of the big reasons is:

Dabo Sweeney.

I get it, this is a playoff game and they should be motivated but.......

A team can ALWAYS be more focused.
A team can ALWAYS be more motivated.

Dweebo has provided Ohia State with that extra bit of motivation that will laser focus the team.

Great job Douschebo, great job.

Northwestern actually had a solid defense in 2020, they had numerous LBs and DBs on the all B1G team and their DC announced retirement the week of the Title Game so they were playing their a-s off for the guy. Add in that they lost 0 players and days to the Covid so they could put a lot of different packages into their game plan where as tOSU was limited.

I do agree that Venables will send the house at Fields with run blitzes on 1st down and pass blitzes once they get them behind the chains. In a perfect world the way you beat this is by using this aggressive game plan against them. If Day had more time he would be wise to add a package of the NFL Shanan offense with a lot of wide zone runs that beats on the smallish pass rushing DEs that Clemson has and if the LBs or backside DL crashes down to support then the RBs cut back against the grain for a big gain. I see a little of this currently in the Day offense but not enough. Then you add play action and go over the top if the Safeties get too involved in run support. The key would be the tOSU TEs, could they make that block against the DEs and still be able to get involved in pass receiving?
I have the utmost respect for Pat Fitzgerald and the Nwestern football program. No team in college football maximizes their more than Northwestern. But it's still northwestern. This is 2-3 stars vs. 4-5 stars and as we know, you can't coach speed and size. Northwestern's defense is nothing like what Clemson will have. The only team Ohio State could have played that had anywhere near the athletes they do this season was Michigan, and that game was cancelled. So this will be like driving in your neighborhood to going on the interstate for the Buckeyes. Things are going to move really really fast.

My take. Clemson is not invincible and IS beatable in this matchup versus OSU. We all know Clemson is the favorite here, will give them that.
Most feel OSU's secondary will be exposed against the Tigers but we can play with them in the passing game, we can match up. At WR Clemson has Amari Rodgers, he's tough but we can make him earn it. Second WR Justyn Ross is out for the year. OSU can put Shaun Wade on Rogers. Clemson does have talented Freshman E.J Williams but this matchup is closer than it looks. We're capable of slowing those guys down. Clemson's receiving core is not as good as last year IMO (Tee Higgins will be missed and they don't have Ross)

Next is RB Travis Etienne, Our front 4 matches up here and I wouldn't be stunned if we contained him a bit. Handling Etienne over 4 Qtrs is a chore but sometimes things break your way. Etienne is most dangerous catching the ball on broken plays but we have the athlete's to rise to the occasion. Etienne will get his but if we can just contain him we're in it.

Trevor Lawrence surprised us with his running last year, won't be the case this time around.
Justin Fields has been off this year but I have a feeling he will be ready. Everyone talked that rubbish about Venables defense last year and we were shredding them and we can do it again. Fields can make some plays with his legs too. Clemson nor Alabama matches up with our receiving core. I'm taking OSU all day there. I look for us to pop some plays in the running game here and there with Sermon & Teague.

I've waited for this game from the second the last one ended. You ask me Dabo doesn't want any part of OSU, look at his preposterous assertion that we're the 11th best team when he voted.
I love Ryan Day he believes in this team and that's half the battle, they think they can win.
We recruit with the big boys just like they do....when the lights come on unsung players can emerge. I think it will be another classic.
Clemson was clearly outplayed by OSU last year and escaped with some help from the zebras.

Game on...we'll see what goes down in 2 weeks.

Bucks only shot is for the run game to get going, keeping Etienne and Lawrence on the sideline. I don't know how much play-action they've done this year, but this game would be a good time to use it, assuming the running game is working. Hitting Wilson and Olave off the PA should get them a couple big gains. I'd also like to see Ruckert used more. Such an under-used asset.

I've waited for this game from the second the last one ended. You ask me Dabo doesn't want any part of OSU, look at his preposterous assertion that we're the 11th best team when he voted.
I love Ryan Day he believes in this team and that's half the battle, they think they can win.
We recruit with the big boys just like they do....when the lights come on unsung players can emerge. I think it will be another classic.
Clemson was clearly outplayed by OSU last year and escaped with some help from the zebras.

100% agree. It would be different if a bunch of coaches voted tOSU here. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Evidently Dabo voted them lower than any other coach - period.
Ohio State needs to cover the receivers and still contain Lawrence. That's not rocket science - but tough to do.
Day needs to be willing to take what Clemson is allowing them. Took way to long to commit to the run against Indiana and Northwestern. This game will not allow 2 or 3 quarters to make that adjustment.

My take. Clemson is not invincible and IS beatable in this matchup versus OSU. We all know Clemson is the favorite here, will give them that.
Most feel OSU's secondary will be exposed against the Tigers but we can play with them in the passing game, we can match up. At WR Clemson has Amari Rodgers, he's tough but we can make him earn it. Second WR Justyn Ross is out for the year. OSU can put Shaun Wade on Rogers. Clemson does have talented Freshman E.J Williams but this matchup is closer than it looks. We're capable of slowing those guys down. Clemson's receiving core is not as good as last year IMO (Tee Higgins will be missed and they don't have Ross)

Next is RB Travis Etienne, Our front 4 matches up here and I wouldn't be stunned if we contained him a bit. Handling Etienne over 4 Qtrs is a chore but sometimes things break your way. Etienne is most dangerous catching the ball on broken plays but we have the athlete's to rise to the occasion. Etienne will get his but if we can just contain him we're in it.

Trevor Lawrence surprised us with his running last year, won't be the case this time around.
Justin Fields has been off this year but I have a feeling he will be ready. Everyone talked that rubbish about Venables defense last year and we were shredding them and we can do it again. Fields can make some plays with his legs too. Clemson nor Alabama matches up with our receiving core. I'm taking OSU all day there. I look for us to pop some plays in the running game here and there with Sermon & Teague.

No doubt, Clemson is beatable. Notre Dame beat them by running the ball and Book being mobile. Fields can cause problems for the Clemson defense. Clemson was without a couple of key defensive players and Lawrence, who really makes that offense go. I'd actually like to see Ohio State and Notre Dame, that would be a really good matchup, IMO.
At this point, Clemson is only a 7 point favorite.
Ohio State had that game last year, Dobbins drop of a TD, the last play were the receiver either zigged or zagged, and Fields or the receiver missed it. But I still say Ohio State lost alot more, especially on the defensive side than Clemson. Ty Fryfogle of Indiana had a good day with Wade, so I'm not sure I'd hang my hat on that.

But I still say Ohio State lost alot more, especially on the defensive side than Clemson. Ty Fryfogle of Indiana had a good day with Wade, so I'm not sure I'd hang my hat on that.

OSU certainly lost a lot more on D no doubting that (Okudah, Arnette, Chase Young, Jordan Fuller, Malik Harison etc.... not to mention JK Dobbins and K.J Hill on offense) but this revamped team can rise to the occasion with newcomers who should be just seasoned enough by now. I did admit that Clemson is the favorite.

In the Indiana game Fryfogle did get the better of Wade but Wade came back to OSU this season specifically to atone for what happened in last years game, so focus and motivation is there.

The blueprint Notre Dame used to defeat Clemson isn't the only way to go about it. Stick to our game plan, stay true to our identity it can be successful. I don't agree with some on here, attack thru the air using Olave and Wilson. If Clemson brings the disguised stunts & blitzing Fields will have to have keen pocket awareness and take off galloping on the ground.
Feature Ruckert more at TE and then pop in running plays in between to keep em balanced.

Last edited:
We haven't seen designed QB draws from Fields like we saw from JT Barrett. Day needs to have Fields run the ball more. Day needs to play action and get him out of the pocket. He holds the ball way to long in the pocket.

This is probably one of the worst OSU defenses since Urban Meyer took over. Hopefully OSU can score with Clemson

We haven't seen designed QB draws from Fields like we saw from JT Barrett. Day needs to have Fields run the ball more. Day needs to play action and get him out of the pocket. He holds the ball way to long in the pocket.
Barrett ran because Urban likes that in his QB's. And Barrett couldn't throw like Fields. Also Fields is looking for an NFL career, he doesn't want to get banged up too much, which he already is.

Dabo, and others, have puffed their chests about playing 11 games and having to grind and expose players to injuries, etc, compared to the perceived free ride OSU got with six games. What Dabo, Saban and Kelly have as a huge advantage that Day does not is their teams have gelled and they've figured out their personnel and strengths and weaknesses. OSU has not. They look like a work in progress compared to those teams.

Dabo, and others, have puffed their chests about playing 11 games and having to grind and expose players to injuries, etc, compared to the perceived free ride OSU got with six games. What Dabo, Saban and Kelly have as a huge advantage that Day does not is their teams have gelled and they've figured out their personnel and strengths and weaknesses. OSU has not. They look like a work in progress compared to those teams.

This is spot on.

The talking heads on ESPN and elsewhere always seem to ignore this other side of the coin. Yes, Ohio State had fewer chances for injuries and to lose only playing 6 games. BUT, when you have a lot of new starters and you don't play enough games, it is much more difficult to have weaknesses exposed and corrected in a 6 game season. Ohio State's new players are still 4 and 5 star recruits, talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is probably not an issue, the issue is experience for those new starters. I would have rather had Ohio State play 10 or 11 games to allow the coaches time to see exposed weaknesses and address them, and allow the new starters to gain irreplaceable game experience. Ohio State, in my opinion, is at a bigger disadvantage playing only 6 games than the teams that played 10 or 11.