Ohio State University at Collegiate Duals

Developing those recruits is another story. Been some developed, but more that’s fallen flat. Injuries have also ravished them. Guess we will find out come March.
FYI, If I were the Buckeyes, I would have gone after Fishback with everything I had.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'll take what we have now over what I experienced before Tom showed up. So I am a big "NO" when it comes to thinking about replacing him. With that said, I do think his assistants are underperforming. The program hasn't been the same caliber since Roselli left for OU. I think they cut way too much weight and guys don't develop quite like we think they will...but we are in the toughest conference in the country and we do pretty damn good. I've seen it before where the fan base will chase a coach out and quickly wishes that the past coach was back. Go Bucks!

The problem I have with the comment "nobody better" how do you know? ( Please do not come back with name one) I'm not in the business to recruit head coaches to come to OSU. The program needs a new voice. Ryan is #1 in recruiting kids to come to OSU. Keeping them is a different story. Ryan is a recruiter. Period! His staff around him has done a terrible job with ALL the talent Ryan recruits for them.

MPhillips no you have never hammered me. It's amazing how blind OSU fans can be. A new voice and leadership is needed and has been for a few years. IMO.
Whether or not the program needs a new voice or not, you don't move on from Tom Ryan without a belief you can find someone better.

I agree with starting to look at staff performance. I do think Ohio State fans will be happy with their performances in the next 4 years.

The problem I have with the comment "nobody better" how do you know? ( Please do not come back with name one) I'm not in the business to recruit head coaches to come to OSU. The program needs a new voice. Ryan is #1 in recruiting kids to come to OSU. Keeping them is a different story. Ryan is a recruiter. Period! His staff around him has done a terrible job with ALL the talent Ryan recruits for them.

MPhillips no you have never hammered me. It's amazing how blind OSU fans can be. A new voice and leadership is needed and has been for a few years. IMO.
typically respect your opinion on here so i will ask

Do you think its a change at the top thats needed or do you think its a staff change? Earlier felt like you were calling for Ryans head but this post felt more like a staff change.

I personally want to see how things play out, the buckeyes seem to perform very well in march!

133 Bucks get a forfeit.
141 D'Emilio up 2-0 into the third. Wins 3-1. OSU 9-3
149 Sasso up 2-0 into the second. 5-1 into the third. Wins 10-2. OSU 13-3
157 GBrown / MBryant (moves up a weight) Brown up 2-1 into the second. Brown wins 6-3. Looked great.
165 Wilcox / Humphreys (moves up a weight) Santoro went for it. Brown 2-1 into second. Down 3-2 into the third. Loses 5-2. OSU 16-6
174 Smith 6-2 into second. 10-3 into third. Wins 13-4. OSU 20-6
184 Romero 2-1 into the second. 5-1 Blood time... 7-2 into the third. Wins 10-4. OSU 23-6
197 Hoffman / Beard

Last edited:
125 Gonzales loses 6-0.
133 Bucks get a forfeit. OSU 6-3
157 GBrown / MBryant (moves up a weight) Brown up 2-1 into the second. Brown wins 6-3. Looked great.
165 Wilcox / Humphreys (moves up a weight) Santoro went for it. Brown 2-1 into second. Down 3-2 into the third. Loses 5-2. OSU 16-6
184 Romero 2-1 into the second. 5-1 Blood time... 7-2 into the third. Wins 10-4. OSU 23-6
197 Hoffman / Beard Hoffman down 2-1 into the second. Down 5-2 into third. Loses 5-3. OSU 23-9.
285 Misita 2-2 into second.

Last edited:
125 Gonzales loses 6-0.
133 Bucks get a forfeit. OSU 6-3
197 Hoffman / Beard Hoffman down 2-1 into the second. Down 5-2 into third. Loses 5-3. OSU 23-9.
285 Misita 2-2 into second. Misita loses 5-2. OSU 23-9.

184 Romero, Kaleb SR
184 Shumate, Seth FR
184 Bell, Gavin SO
197 Hoffman, Gavin JR
197 Geog, Luke FR
197 Boykin, Nicholas SO
197 Stein, Tyler SO

Developing those recruits is another story. Been some developed, but more that’s fallen flat. Injuries have also ravished them. Guess we will find out come March.
FYI, If I were the Buckeyes, I would have gone after Fishback with everything I had.
Geog,Shumate,Fishback... All legit and OSU got 2 of 3. IMO all three could challenge for a title at some point.

Geog,Shumate,Fishback... All legit and OSU got 2 of 3. IMO all three could challenge for a title at some point.
I obviously have no crystal ball, but I personally think Fishback is quite a bit better than Shumate, and his overall ceiling is much higher. Nothing against Shumate personally, but I actually do not think he ever sniffs a podium his entire career at Ohio State. I think Fishback, however, definitely will. Again, just a posters prediction. As for Geog, he actually has my attention. I would not be surprised one bit if became an AA during his career - if not more.

I obviously have no crystal ball, but I personally think Fishback is quite a bit better than Shumate, and his overall ceiling is much higher. Nothing against Shumate personally, but I actually do not think he ever sniffs a podium his entire career at Ohio State. I think Fishback, however, definitely will. Again, just a posters prediction. As for Geog, he actually has my attention. I would not be surprised one bit if became an AA during his career - if not more.
Buckeye commits at 184/197
6/2018 Stein
8/2019 Shumate
10/2019 Boykin
9/2020 Bell
9/2020 Fishback to NCST
11/2021 Geog

Plus Romero and Hoffman were already there. Sometimes there just isn't room for everyone.

Highly successful HS career and already a quality win over John Poznanski, himself a 2x NQ and 4th place AA. You may want to reconsider that statement.
I mean, I'm not rooting against him. If I am wrong, I will gladly be wrong. I do not wish for someone's downfall just so I can be right on a meaningless forum. I do stand by what I said, and if in the future I have to eat crow, I will own it.

If Sasso we're to make the move to 157 right now, I would actually like his chances to win it come March. Not having to deal with as much a cut, he'd be stronger and more fit and IMO the field isn't as strong as 157

Last edited:
typically respect your opinion on here so i will ask

Do you think its a change at the top thats needed or do you think its a staff change? Earlier felt like you were calling for Ryans head but this post felt more like a staff change.

I personally want to see how things play out, the buckeyes seem to perform very well in march!
If I was in charge of OSU wrestling, I would bring in new coaches including a new head coach. I would try to retain Ryan to recruit.(Head up wrestling at OSU) That's what he does best. He gets quality kids to come to OSU. It's been said more than once on the Big10 network, Ryan is a great CEO. Meaning heading up wrestling at OSU. In terms of coaching kids (and staff) that leaves a lot to be desired. Thank you for having respect for my thoughts.

I mean, I'm not rooting against him. If I am wrong, I will gladly be wrong. I do not wish for someone's downfall just so I can be right on a meaningless forum. I do stand by what I said, and if in the future I have to eat crow, I will own it.

Maybe you are a better evaluator of talent than I, but I ’m curious, what have you observed that would lead you to this opinion 2 months into his RS freshman season? Are their holes in his game that I’m just not seeing, because I happen to think that he has huge upside. He’s strong, quick , athletic, and 184 seems to be the right weight for him. He had about the best HS career one could possibly have. He’s having a very good redshirt year @ 7-1 so far with a recent win over Big 10 bronze medalist and AA from Rutgers. Word around the RTC is that he has a great work ethic, he’s a humble kid, and by all accounts a good citizen and a good student.

I get it, he lost Geog- who happens to be also be really good. I get it he lost to Fishback 2 years ago @ Fargo- who is also tremendous.

Let the kid develop, that’s what a redshirt year is for.

Does Ohio State have an Identity? What do they do well as a team? Penn State has the poise, which is attributed to Cael. Iowa has the toughness that comes from the Brands Brothers. What does Ohio State bring to the table? I have no doubt the poise and toughness is worth 3 points per match. I don't know which coach would be the answer? With Ohio State's resources they should be able to find him.

Maybe you are a better evaluator of talent than I, but I ’m curious, what have you observed that would lead you to this opinion 2 months into his RS freshman season? Are their holes in his game that I’m just not seeing, because I happen to think that he has huge upside. He’s strong, quick , athletic, and 184 seems to be the right weight for him. He had about the best HS career one could possibly have. He’s having a very good redshirt year @ 7-1 so far with a recent win over Big 10 bronze medalist and AA from Rutgers. Word around the RTC is that he has a great work ethic, he’s a humble kid, and by all accounts a good citizen and a good student.

I get it, he lost Geog- who happens to be also be really good. I get it he lost to Fishback 2 years ago @ Fargo- who is also tremendous.

Let the kid develop, that’s what a redshirt year is for.
In my opinion most of the highly ranked recruits have developed before even getting to college. The great ones like Lee, Taylor, Steiber, etc are so great that they can and will continue to win after reaching their peak. Guys like Kollin Moore, Tariq Wilson, and the many others that reach their ceiling later are the true gems you find as far as recruiting. I am going to say Geog is going to be a gem as well.

Last edited:
Bigbeeg I could not agree more. Many top recruits have hit their ceiling in high school. NO coach will be able to get more out of them. Hold backs, maturity etc all play a role. A Big Ten coach has told me more than once recruiting todays wrestler is so complex. It's not just what the wrestler has done on the mat. Frankly it's more outside the wrestling room then inside.