Ohio State Recruiting

Day offers another 2020 QB, CJ Stroud. This is an interesting one seeing they have had Jack Miller in the fold for some time but then again CJ Stroud was the MVP at some big QB event over the summer and one of the biggest risers in recruiting circles, in July he was in the mid 500s as a prospect and now he is 133 at 24/7. All the big names are set at QB and don't want to rock the boat so outside of tOSU his best offer is Oregon. With all the transfers and such QB is one position that seems to be evolving the most with regards to recruiting, Day probably told them to come in and compete with the winner having an inside track to a NFL leap off point while the loser will become a free agent and sign on with the best opportunity he can find.

Day offers another 2020 QB, CJ Stroud. This is an interesting one seeing they have had Jack Miller in the fold for some time but then again CJ Stroud was the MVP at some big QB event over the summer and one of the biggest risers in recruiting circles, in July he was in the mid 500s as a prospect and now he is 133 at 24/7. All the big names are set at QB and don't want to rock the boat so outside of tOSU his best offer is Oregon. With all the transfers and such QB is one position that seems to be evolving the most with regards to recruiting, Day probably told them to come in and compete with the winner having an inside track to a NFL leap off point while the loser will become a free agent and sign on with the best opportunity he can find.
I have heard that Jack Miller has been injured quite a bit in high school. Might be some concern how well he holds up physically to college competition.

Miller seems to be doing OK down at Chaparral.

Stroud is getting a lot more interest now that he has an Ohio State offer, and he just received another offer from UCLA.

Regardless, with Chugunov as the current backup who will definitely not be back next year, it seems to me there's a lot of opportunity to become the "heir apparent" to Fields.

FWIW, there is a 2019 4* by the name of Grant Tisdale who has entered the transfer portal from Ole Miss; he had previously considered the Buckeyes before signing with the Rebels.

Marvin Harrison Jr (yes, the son of former Colts WR) just committed...class of 2021 WR...ranked #8 in the class.

Marvin Harrison Jr (yes, the son of former Colts WR) just committed...class of 2021 WR...ranked #8 in the class.

Hartline is just killing it in recruiting circles, you have to think he moves up to OC at some point or heads somewhere else in that capacity and starts a steep upward career trajectory.

Hartline is just killing it in recruiting circles, you have to think he moves up to OC at some point or heads somewhere else in that capacity and starts a steep upward career trajectory.
I think he will stay and move up,works hard and loves it.

A couple morning updates on signing day:

- MI ATH Cameron Martinez announces he will wait until February to see who tOSU adds as DB coach. There is also some chatter now that he will flip to Northwestern to play on both sides of the ball.

- Wavering DB Clark Phillips will not sign a LOI until Thursday.

- CJ Stroud signs w/ tOSU :)

Also from a national perspective Dabo Swiney is just killing it. He has 6 signed 5 star players and flipped a LSU commit on signing day. There is also a lot of chatter that 5* DE Jordan Burch will sign with Clemson after trending to other schools for most of the cycle.

Last edited:
Been watching vids for some of these kids, wow @ Julian Fleming. Harrison Jr. looks as polished as he can be for his age. Harrison Jr. is 6'4 and his old man is 6'0.

Can someone please tell me why my Buckeyrs are in such a hurry: scramble to recruit a RB for next cycle ( 4 or 5 star) am I missing something
It sounds like the coaches have absolutely no faith in the current crop.
Teague-soph
Crowley- soph
Chambers- soph
McCall? - sr
Myian Williams-fr.
what’s the problem you have 4/5 RB And yes I love myian Williams being a WW supporter fans are really going to love his style of running, but because
They list him as 3star, ppl are underestimating him. He can flat out play, hope they really give him a chance to compete.

I love master Teague playing more full time to see what he can really do.
Having all these running backs just means some will transfer probably and your starting over.

Good news, bad news for the Buckeyes. Good news is the Buckeyes finish with the #5 recruiting class for 2020. Penn State and Michigan were next, finishing in the middle teens. The bad? SEC schools take 7 of the top 10 recruiting classes. Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida and Tennessee all are in the top 10. Who else made it? Clemson and Texas. So you will continue to have a wider and wider gap of talent from the SEC to the rest of the country.
You can make an argument that winning the SEC championship is tougher than winning the national championship.

Good news, bad news for the Buckeyes. Good news is the Buckeyes finish with the #5 recruiting class for 2020. Penn State and Michigan were next, finishing in the middle teens. The bad? SEC schools take 7 of the top 10 recruiting classes. Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida and Tennessee all are in the top 10. Who else made it? Clemson and Texas. So you will continue to have a wider and wider gap of talent from the SEC to the rest of the country.
You can make an argument that winning the SEC championship is tougher than winning the national championship.

It would be a stupid argument, but I suppose you "could" make any argument you want.

Most college football analysts will tell you talent recruitment is nowhere near as important as talent development. Plenty of schools recruit good talent that translates into nothing. It's consistently good teams like Alabama, OSU, Clemson that develop their players well.

It would be a stupid argument, but I suppose you "could" make any argument you want.

Most college football analysts will tell you talent recruitment is nowhere near as important as talent development. Plenty of schools recruit good talent that translates into nothing. It's consistently good teams like Alabama, OSU, Clemson that develop their players well.
If that was the case we'd see schools that are never have top recruiting classes win national championships, and that does not happen. In general, you finish in the top 10 in recruiting regularly, you'll be there most years. The 3 schools you just mentioned are always near the top of recruiting, year after year.

If that was the case we'd see schools that are never have top recruiting classes win national championships, and that does not happen. In general, you finish in the top 10 in recruiting regularly, you'll be there most years. The 3 schools you just mentioned are always near the top of recruiting, year after year.

Correct, but so are 7 other schools that have been insignificant since the CFP has started. That was my point. There's a reason the same three schools show up year in and year out and they separate themselves by player development.

Correct, but so are 7 other schools that have been insignificant since the CFP has started. That was my point. There's a reason the same three schools show up year in and year out and they separate themselves by player development.
Yes and no, first of all, you can't have 4 teams from one conference in the playoffs, it's not set up that way. So for instance this year, with 7 SEC teams in the top 10, they aren't all going to get there, even if deserved.
I think it's more of a consistency thing. If you recruit in the top 10 year after year, you have a chance to get to the playoff. Development is important to a degree, but the fact that Ohio State is in the top 10 recruiting year after year and the rest of the big ten isn't, is a HUGE advantage for the Buckeyes (to their credit). Clemson the same way. No one in the ACC recruits even close to Clemson.
Finally it does take some good old fashioned luck to get to the playoff sometimes too, especially with the injury factor and football.

Yes and no, first of all, you can't have 4 teams from one conference in the playoffs, it's not set up that way. So for instance this year, with 7 SEC teams in the top 10, they aren't all going to get there, even if deserved.
I think it's more of a consistency thing. If you recruit in the top 10 year after year, you have a chance to get to the playoff. Development is important to a degree, but the fact that Ohio State is in the top 10 recruiting year after year and the rest of the big ten isn't, is a HUGE advantage for the Buckeyes (to their credit). Clemson the same way. No one in the ACC recruits even close to Clemson.
Finally it does take some good old fashioned luck to get to the playoff sometimes too, especially with the injury factor and football.

Ohio St is not in the top 10 just based on recruits out of the Midwest. They are recruiting well in states like Georgia, Texas, Florida, and California as well. What conference they are in is completely irrelevant because the recruits they are going after are all sought by the same schools. They're top 100 recruits and every school from every conference is going after them. The issue programs like USC, FSU, and Miami is that they aren't getting those recruits anymore. Even when they do, they don't develop their players and have nothing to show for it.

There will never be a year that 4, let alone 7 teams, from the SEC are deserving of the playoffs. Ever...

You realize that recruiting trend is the same it always has been? Except with USC and Notre Dame not in the mix, the south has ALWAYS recruited better than the north, most of the best players come from the south. Compare Minnesota’s and Auburn’s recruiting classes the past 5 years. Obviously Auburn’s is going to be much better, but their team was at most even with Minnesota this year. Wisconsin has low rankings and competes every year. MSU in the mid Dantonio era was consistently one of the best teams in the country. There are mid-majors every year that are great. Like what the other guy said, you can have as much talent as you want, you have to develop it. That’s why teams like Texas A&M has never been in the mix for the national title. This year could be the year maybe.

You realize that recruiting trend is the same it always has been? Except with USC and Notre Dame not in the mix, the south has ALWAYS recruited better than the north, most of the best players come from the south. Compare Minnesota’s and Auburn’s recruiting classes the past 5 years. Obviously Auburn’s is going to be much better, but their team was at most even with Minnesota this year. Wisconsin has low rankings and competes every year. MSU in the mid Dantonio era was consistently one of the best teams in the country. There are mid-majors every year that are great. Like what the other guy said, you can have as much talent as you want, you have to develop it. That’s why teams like Texas A&M has never been in the mix for the national title. This year could be the year maybe.
You've actually strengthened my argument. Don't look at the rankings. They are done by people who either A. look at only records and B. live or are fans of midwest teams. The big ten had big schools with large fan bases, but that does not mean they are good, only that they are known.
The middle and bottom of the big ten is so bad that of course the teams at the top have great records. Minnesota is a great example this year. Do you honestly believe Minnesota would have anything close to the same record if they were in the SEC??? They may be a .500 team. And yet they are the talk of the big ten, west division? That's why I tell you guys year after year after year that we don't know how good Ohio State is until the bowl season. They play 9 conference games were they are double digit favorties, every single week. And if they play a weak non-conference schedule, which they normally do, they are 11-0 and we don't know how good they are?
Look at one major factor, who puts the most players in the NFL...it's the SEC by a landslide.

You've actually strengthened my argument. Don't look at the rankings. They are done by people who either A. look at only records and B. live or are fans of midwest teams. The big ten had big schools with large fan bases, but that does not mean they are good, only that they are known.
The middle and bottom of the big ten is so bad that of course the teams at the top have great records. Minnesota is a great example this year. Do you honestly believe Minnesota would have anything close to the same record if they were in the SEC??? They may be a .500 team. And yet they are the talk of the big ten, west division? That's why I tell you guys year after year after year that we don't know how good Ohio State is until the bowl season. They play 9 conference games were they are double digit favorties, every single week. And if they play a weak non-conference schedule, which they normally do, they are 11-0 and we don't know how good they are?
Look at one major factor, who puts the most players in the NFL...it's the SEC by a landslide.

Who puts the most players in the NFL? Southern high schools. Kids can specialize and play football year round, along with there just being more athletes. Best basketball players come from the Northeast. Best wrestlers come from the midwest. The best football players don’t come from the SEC, they come from the south.

I wouldn't say the SEC has placed the most by a landslide, here is the 2019 NFL distribution by Power 6 :) players>

Kind of surprised about how weak the Big 12 is, my guess is because the defenses are so bad most of their players only play in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball. The ACC has a lot of older FSU and Miami players still active, I would think as these guys retire and the ACC stays only about Clemson that number will go down and you will see the SEC and B1G separate as the 2 primary NFL producing conferences.

While everyone else is on lock down tOSU is cleaning up on the recruiting trail. In the last 48 hours they have signed the following>

1. The nation’s No. 4 cornerback and overall #59 in Jakailin Johnson.
  2. A rising athlete that projects to DB Devonta Smith, currently only a 3* outside of the top 300 but he was recently offered by Alabama and is blowing up nationally.
  3. The #6 running back and overall #85 in Evan Pryor.

Although a lot can change between now and next year, this class is looking to be historic thus far. So many guys at or near the top of their class in each position. It's freaking unreal.

Although a lot can change between now and next year, this class is looking to be historic thus far. So many guys at or near the top of their class in each position. It's freaking unreal.
Ryan Day is killing it. Many were worried about a recruiting drop-off, post-Urban. There might actually be a slight boost under Day, so far.

Ryan Day is killing it. Many were worried about a recruiting drop-off, post-Urban. There might actually be a slight boost under Day, so far.

I believe Ryan Day has put more emphasis on going after top tier Ohio talent earlier than Urban did. In 2 years of recruiting I see home talent being offered much earlier and I think it has helped to kick off the entire class.