Ohio State Recruiting

Crusaders

Buckeyes land commitment from No. 13-ranked prospect Garrett Wilson

Receiver Garrett Wilson, the No. 13-ranked prospect in the class of 2019, is leaving the state of Texas and heading to Big 10 country.

The 6-foot, 179-pound playmaker deluxe committed to Ohio State over Texas on Sunday night in what is another huge win in the state of Texas for coach Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes...

...Wilson becomes the sixth ESPN 300 verbal for Ohio State, joining offensive tackles Doug Nester and Ryan Jacoby, Hickman, running back Sampson James, versatile athlete Steele Chambers and linebacker Cade Stover.

The Buckeyes boasted the No. 14-ranked class prior to Wilson's announcement. They are a strong bet to sign a top-seven class for a ninth straight year, with five-stars Zach Harrison, Darnell Wright and Devontae Dobbs all seriously considering Ohio State, as well as ESPN 300 members Lewis Cine, Noah Cain, Harry Miller and Brandon Smith.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...o-state-buckeyes-texas-longhorns?platform=amp

tOSU picks up another from the state of Georgia, top 50 overall in 2019 and #2 Center Harry Miller: https://247sports.com/Player/Harry-Miller-46039500

From my understanding the kid is super sharp academically, on track to be valedictorian, and wanted to be able to major in mechanical engineering and actually work to a degree in that discipline while playing football. The southern schools were not as keen to that idea so they fell back. Also looked hard at ND & Stanford but tOSU moved to the front of the line after an official visit where they showed him a path in that direction and a more consistent team on the field. Had been in the fold privately to Meyer but wanted to commit on a mission trip to Nicaragua to bring some pub to a cause but political instability kept him from making the trip. Cool sounding recruit.

Pretty baller to grab him from UT's backyard. Suck it Herman!

He grew up in suburban Columbus. Don’t expect to be pulling many five stars out of Texas if Herman and Jimbo crank it up, and if Oklahoma can keep up its usual standards.

One thing OSU has going for them, besides the brand, in recruiting nationally is there are so many people that moved from Ohio to football hotbeds like Georgia, Texas, FL, Cali, MD/VA, the Carolinas...and retained their OSU loyalty. Their kids grow up thinking of OSU as an option moreso than does your typical southern kid.

Buckeyes get their QB for the 2019 class! Flipped 4 star QB Dwan Mathis from Sparty. Massive addition to OSU and a massive blow to MSU.

Highlight reels: https://247sports.com/player/dwan-mathis-82439

Solid pocket presence.

Doesn't seem to be run-first. When he does run, he looks a bit like Pryor but with more agility. We'll see how well he moves with added weight.

The passing highlights are bit thin. Mostly deep balls that have decent touch on them, but it's difficult to tell if it's good passing or an issue of arm strength. The few short passes in there don't particularly have a lot of zip.

Buckeyes get their QB for the 2019 class! Flipped 4 star QB Dwan Mathis from Sparty. Massive addition to OSU and a massive blow to MSU.

Oh boy,D Ant going to have some harsh words for Urban again...BAM!

Since there is no class of 2020 thread might as well post some big news for that class here.

tOSU picked up a verbal from in state OT Paris Johnson, overall top 10 type recruit and a big pick up from SW Ohio. Also picked up a 4 * DB from IMG, Lejond Cavazos. Finally, things are trending well for the 2020 QB situation as many think it is just a matter of time until one of the top QBs in the class, Jack Miller, pulls the trigger.

Last edited:
Since there is no class of 2020 thread might as well post some big news for that class here.

tOSU picked up a verbal from in state OT Paris Johnson, overall top 10 type recruit and a big pick up from SW Ohio. Also picked up a 4 * DB from IMG, Lejond Cavazos. Finally, things are trending well for the 2020 QB situation as many think it is just a matter of time until one of the top QBs in the class, Jack Miller, pulls the trigger.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/07/2020_qb_jack_miller_commits_to.html#incart_2box

That time is now.

QB recruiting is messed up. There is no way you can tell that a 16 year old kid is the 3rd best pro style QB at this point in his life yet there is this big arms race to lock down the top QBs as they head into their Junior year. Some of this is brought on by the forced early enrolling QBs must do but still, how well can you know about all the various prospects when a good portion are still growing?

When tOSU loses a southern kid to the SEC you kinda understand...when you lose a kid to Indiana it raises a red flag. It is either tOSU has a better RB lined up or after seeing more tape Sampson just isn't developing into the 4* that some think he is.

I think there are a couple things going on here. 1. He's from Indiana and has some home state sentiment. 2. He and his family want him to play ASAP and being behind Dobbins and Weber pretty much guarantees a RS. There also could be a growing trend of players opting for smaller programs to avoid big school logjams and get playing time; instead of going to OSU and riding pine for 2 years, go to Purdue, Indiana, UC, etc. and start immediately or at least have a role that will expand with experience.

When tOSU loses a southern kid to the SEC you kinda understand...when you lose a kid to Indiana it raises a red flag. It is either tOSU has a better RB lined up or after seeing more tape Sampson just isn't developing into the 4* that some think he is.

This. They jumped on him too early. I think they have an eye on a better RB.

My guess is that Ohio state is going to start aggressively going after FF RB McClain as he ran for 275 yards and 4 TD's against a Colerian defense with a lot of guys who will be playing on Saturday's. Only a junior this kid is a special RB talent.

Unlikely. The Buckeyes already have a RB commit in 2020 and are trying to get a 5* kid from Cali, if not him then a 4* kid from Washington. In the APB room, both Ej Smith and Michael Drennan (OH kid) are more likely options.

Unlikely. The Buckeyes already have a RB commit in 2020 and are trying to get a 5* kid from Cali, if not him then a 4* kid from Washington. In the APB room, both Ej Smith and Michael Drennan (OH kid) are more likely options.

That's right The Ohio State Buckeyes are a national recruiting power and not all that interested in those Ohio kids anymore. Got it.

But something tells me that over the next year McClain will get a long look from the Bucks because his next level position might not be as a straight up RB but rather as one of those Jalen Marshal type hybrid RB/Receivers.

And for the record I would be shocked if this kid ins't at least a 4 or 5 star recruit by next summer.

I didn't say that. They still take quite a few kids from Ohio.

I've already addressed the ABP issue. The Buckeyes are pursuing Emmitt Smith's kid and Columbus, OH Michael Drennan for that position. It may very well be he surpasses both, but currently he's 3rd (at best) in pecking order.

Trust me, lotr. I'd love for another Cincy kid to end up in the scarlet and gray. It just doesn't seem likely at this point.

4 star LB Tommy Eichenberg (St. Ignatius) has become the first commitment of the Ryan Day era.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not a lot of fallout from Meyer leaving, but they did lose two 4-star guys in Lejond Cavazos (S) and Jake Wray (OT), though Wray hasn't ruled out recommitting.

Not a lot of fallout from Meyer leaving, but they did lose two 4-star guys in Lejond Cavazos (S) and Jake Wray (OT), though Wray hasn't ruled out recommitting.

That is going to change over the next couple days for the class of 2019. Good chance they lose two of their top recruits in Jordan Battle and Doug Nester and the trend for Zach Harrison is not good either. This class could fall outside the top 20 nationally and even be 3rd in the B1G being pushed by Nebraska and Purdue for the 4th spot. So far Day is not able to hold on to what Urban had and is not flipping anything other than possibly an Iowa commit or picking up a low *** from North Carolina. Not quite the way to start the new era.