Ohio State Football 2023

LCL

At the conclusion of tonight's national title, we will officially begin the countdown until the first game. Many questions and uncertainty surround the program this season. First and foremost are the players.

Who can we expect out of Kyle McCord, Chad Ray, Devin Brown, or Mason Maggs to replace Stroud? What do we know about any new or current offensive playmakers? Will the defense improve, as far as players go?

Is Ryan Day's job on the hot seat? I think it can be agreed that Day coached his best game against Georgia, despite losing on a missed field goal. If OSU were to fire him, what is the line in the sand they draw? Losing to Michigan? Lose a playoff game? Is it national title or bust for Day to keep his job?

Finally, other than Michigan, what is the toughest opponent on the schedule?

Lots of questions to answer in a year before the B10 finds itself playing USC on a yearly basis.

2023 SCHEDULE
9/2 @ Indiana
9/9 Youngstown State
9/16 Western Kentucky
9/23 @ Notre Dame
10/7 Maryland
10/14 @ Purdue
10/21 Penn State
10/28 @ Wisconsin
11/4 @ Rutgers
11/11 Michigan State
11/18 Minnesota
11/25 @ Michigan

McCord (won HS titles with Harrison and 5 star), or Devin Brown. With the talent coming back and incoming, plug and play

McCord…a 5 star recruit.
I dont know if McCord's a runner, but itd be nice to have more mobile QB like JT Barrett and Braxton Miller were. The way Stroud ran against UGA, I wish he wouldve done that more, would made him tougher to respect as a running QB.

I dont know if McCord's a runner, but itd be nice to have more mobile QB like JT Barrett and Braxton Miller were. The way Stroud ran against UGA, I wish he wouldve done that more, would made him tougher to respect as a running QB.
I would not expect much running from McCord. Brown would be more of the threat to tuck it and run.

McCord can run but more pocket passer....live rocket arm. Brown more mobile. McCord will thrive with WR corps, Stover, and stacked RB room

Even though I am not a fan of Knowles schemes he returns a good chunk of talent for year two. More talent than most in the country and anyone in the B10. The offense could actually be REALLY potent as they will return their backfield, three seasoned WRs, their TEs, and three Olinemen.

Outside of OT, Zen Michalski replaces a 1st rounder at LT?!?, the roster doesn't look that bad on paper. On offense it was smart for Stover to come back. Eichenberg is trickier and if I was advising him I don't think he would gain much with another year of NCAA ball but then again LB just isn't a valued NFL analytics piece so draft stock isn't going to rise/drop that much either way and he could possibly make some nice $s in NIL as a clean cut well spoken high profile player. As for DBs that will be an even bigger ? than QB, the positive is there are athletes in the group but they seem to be unpolished and need to learn how to translate the physical skills into performance on the field. Perry Eliano created a high caliber NFL DB in Suace Gardner, can he replicate this at tOSU? He gets another chance next fall and it is a key year for his career if he wants to make the jump from a DB coach to a Defensive Coordinator.

As for the schedule playing at ND is not as daunting as some may think. When the Irish expanded the stadium they basically made it easier for visiting fans to get tickets and programs that travel well get a nice chunk of fans in the stands to help neutralize home field advantage. That Penn State followed by @ Wiscy stretch might be the make or break part of the schedule, Wiscy's early schedule is very manageable and if they have only 1 L with big bad tOSU coming to town Camp Randall will be rocking; it is one of the toughest places to play in the B1G.

Outside of OT, Zen Michalski replaces a 1st rounder at LT?!?, the roster doesn't look that bad on paper. On offense it was smart for Stover to come back. Eichenberg is trickier and if I was advising him I don't think he would gain much with another year of NCAA ball but then again LB just isn't a valued NFL analytics piece so draft stock isn't going to rise/drop that much either way and he could possibly make some nice $s in NIL as a clean cut well spoken high profile player. As for DBs that will be an even bigger ? than QB, the positive is there are athletes in the group but they seem to be unpolished and need to learn how to translate the physical skills into performance on the field. Perry Eliano created a high caliber NFL DB in Suace Gardner, can he replicate this at tOSU? He gets another chance next fall and it is a key year for his career if he wants to make the jump from a DB coach to a Defensive Coordinator.

As for the schedule playing at ND is not as daunting as some may think. When the Irish expanded the stadium they basically made it easier for visiting fans to get tickets and programs that travel well get a nice chunk of fans in the stands to help neutralize home field advantage. That Penn State followed by @ Wiscy stretch might be the make or break part of the schedule, Wiscy's early schedule is very manageable and if they have only 1 L with big bad tOSU coming to town Camp Randall will be rocking; it is one of the toughest places to play in the B1G.
You think it will be Michalski? I like Fryar and I think a solid portal OT is needed. Haven’t heard lately about Kingston.

You think it will be Michalski? I like Fryar and I think a solid portal OT is needed. Haven’t heard lately about Kingston.
I think Fryar is more of road grader RT, I want to say he was originally recruited as an IOL. As for OTs via the portal... Currently the pickings are slim. UM scooped up some of the best prospects and looks like the destination for transfer OL, 3 potential starters next year could be adds via the portal.

I think Fryar is more of road grader RT, I want to say he was originally recruited as an IOL. As for OTs via the portal... Currently the pickings are slim. UM scooped up some of the best prospects and looks like the destination for transfer OL, 3 potential starters next year could be adds via the portal.
I think a lot of this will depend on Fry's ability to develop guys. Hopefully with a full season under his belt, we'll be able to see if he's up to the task. Of course he could be calling plays next year as well. Will be interesting to see his impact in both spaces.

Was always going to be an uphill battle to get him off the coast, and Spartacus was unwilling to kick in the NIL money to outbid USC.
As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm willing to give Frye some more time considering the sh*tshow in recruiting backslide at OL he inherited from Stud. Hopefully he can evaluate the dudes in the building in the interim, and prove his worth in development toward the league. If he starts to do that, recruits will start to pay attention again - hopefully. Well, that, and the bag. Lol.

We are an only a recruiting class or two away from losing our elite status. I don’t know if it’s the coaches, NIL, or a mix of both but if things don’t change our window of catching the SEC let alone SCUM and the BIG grows smaller and smaller. Also, please don’t talk about this years class. Take out the WR’s and it’s average. Not that I would care but wonder if Ryan Day sees the writing on the wall and takes a pro job sooner than later

I was literally just typing this out. Lol. I never thought it was out of the realm of possibility, I didn’t think he’d go. This OL will need a major overhaul.
I had heard some minor rumblings prior to the UGA game but viewed it the same as you - no chance he goes. I guess that changed after his match up with Carter.

I had heard some minor rumblings prior to the UGA game but viewed it the same as you - no chance he goes. I guess that changed after his match up with Carter.
Totally agree. I know he had the best PFF pass blocking grade on the team, allowing only one sack and like 8 pressures. I’m guessing that intel told him to jump now, and especially to your point, after that performance against UGA.

OSU in major trouble next year on the offensive line. This is why this was the year to win and they missed it. The players we didn’t care to come back are coming back and taking away time from more talented players and the players we really needed back are leaving. I expect Matt Jones to leave now too

It’s definitely a blow. I was thinking/hoping he would return, but he was fairly well thought of by the NFL going into the Georgia game and his performance against Carter only increased his stock.

OSU in major trouble next year on the offensive line. This is why this was the year to win and they missed it. The players we didn’t care to come back are coming back and taking away time from more talented players and the players we really needed back are leaving. I expect Matt Jones to leave now too
All of OSU's backups would either start or see significant PT at any other B10 program. They will be fine.