Ohio State Buckeyes 2022

Some level of jabbering for recruiting purposes should be expected, but he's been doing too much in regards to OSU.
[/QUOTE]
I see Marcus Freeman is running his mouth again. Lol.
No matter what the comments were or weren't, he was criticizing Ohio St and promoting ND - which he should. I view it as him riding for the brand. Loyalty to the brand is admirable.

Jim Hardeeharbaugh made similar comments when he was at Stanford about scUM. It's part of the deal being a head coach.

If MF's comments about Ohio St being the "wrong" choice and he regrets not going to ND, well, that's unnecessary and intentionally provocative.

Still, if he is wildly successful at ND and becomes the head coach at OSU someday, I think we will forgive and forget. After all, we warmed to Urban Meyer pretty quickly when he was hired.

But if his head coaching career is disappointing, and he is not wanted back in Cbus, he may have burned some bridges he might regret later. His dad loves Ohio St - and I think Marcus does too, but he should dial this rhetoric down a few notches.

Regarding ND's supposed academic rigor. Given that they graduate nearly every football player, one would have to conclude that football players are on average smarter than the average non football player student at ND. Given that it isn't likely that all non football students graduate at the same high rate as football players do.

No matter what the comments were or weren't, he was criticizing Ohio St and promoting ND - which he should. I view it as him riding for the brand. Loyalty to the brand is admirable.

Jim Hardeeharbaugh made similar comments when he was at Stanford about scUM. It's part of the deal being a head coach.

If MF's comments about Ohio St being the "wrong" choice and he regrets not going to ND, well, that's unnecessary and intentionally provocative.

Still, if he is wildly successful at ND and becomes the head coach at OSU someday, I think we will forgive and forget. After all, we warmed to Urban Meyer pretty quickly when he was hired.

But if his head coaching career is disappointing, and he is not wanted back in Cbus, he may have burned some bridges he might regret later. His dad loves Ohio St - and I think Marcus does too, but he should dial this rhetoric down a few notches.
[/QUOTE]
No, he wasn’t. He was saying there’s less opportunity to miss class bc it’s a small school. He didn’t trash OSU at all.

No, he wasn’t. He was saying there’s less opportunity to miss class bc it’s a small school. He didn’t trash OSU at all.
[/QUOTE]
He has said in the past that he made a big mistake going to OSU and not ND - been quoted twice on that.

He may have been taken out of context on this particular quote, but he wasn't complimenting OSU or Cincy and was using them in a negative way to boost ND. As I said, even in the worst context, it's OK because he is touting the school he is the HC of.

My point would be he needs to be careful because he could burn bridges, depending on circumstances.

The "misquote" isn't that far from what he gave us from the full quote. Dodd edited it to rile up the OSU side of things.

Marcus knows that when dealing with sensitive issues, you can't communicate in a way that can be understood - you must communicate in a way that cannot be misunderstood.

Ridiculous.

We are all relieved at this news:

The trademark applies only to clothing, so you won’t have to pay a trademark infringement fine to Ohio State for using "the" in conversation.

Here comes California!

Last edited:
For the buckeye jocksniffers.....any rumors as to what time the MSU game would be on 8 October? I know at times I have heard speculation, usually correct, on the buckeyes radio station of game times for the TBDs.

Been offered free tix and acn only attend if it is after 3pm. Guess I could take them, and give em away if i cannot go but would rather not accept if cannot

For the buckeye jocksniffers.....any rumors as to what time the MSU game would be on 8 October? I know at times I have heard speculation, usually correct, on the buckeyes radio station of game times for the TBDs.

Been offered free tix and acn only attend if it is after 3pm. Guess I could take them, and give em away if i cannot go but would rather not accept if cannot
The other Big Ten games that week are: Illinois v. Iowa, Rutgers v. Nebraska, Northwestern v. Wisconsin, Indiana v. Michigan, and Maryland v. Purdue. Bye week for Penn State and Minnesota.

My assumption would be that Ohio State @ Michigan State is very likely to fill the "Big Noon" slot on Fox that week as none of those other games look very enticing barring a quick start by a team like Northwestern or Indiana creating a more interesting matchup than expected. By far the best brand value and expected viewership on paper will be that OSU/MSU game.

The other Big Ten games that week are: Illinois v. Iowa, Rutgers v. Nebraska, Northwestern v. Wisconsin, Indiana v. Michigan, and Maryland v. Purdue. Bye week for Penn State and Minnesota.

My assumption would be that Ohio State @ Michigan State is very likely to fill the "Big Noon" slot on Fox that week as none of those other games look very enticing barring a quick start by a team like Northwestern or Indiana creating a more interesting matchup than expected. By far the best brand value and expected viewership on paper will be that OSU/MSU game.
Yeah, that was my fear and thought as well.
I remember hearing on the radio the speculation of one of the games being the Nooner game.

Yeah, that was my fear and thought as well.
I remember hearing on the radio the speculation of one of the games being the Nooner game.
Just checked the Sparty football schedule, and IMO they should probably be 5-0 going into that week. Toughest early season games are on the road in primetime at what is probably a mid-level PAC opponent in Washington, and at home against Minnesota. Assuming they are 4-1 or 5-0 I think this is a pretty safe lock for the nooner game.

I've had the Notre Dame Fighting Irish on my mind. Lol.

Reasons Ohio St will win comfortably:

* CJ, JSN, Treyv and the entire offense are still clicking on all cylinders.

* The defense is fixed enough that they are servicable.

* The last time Marcus Freeman brought a defense into Ohio Stadium, he gave up 49 points.

Reasons Ohio St will suffer a soul-crushing loss:

* Ohio St loses games against high profile non-conference opponents at home. It's kind of a tradition.

* It's the first game and offenses usually aren't performing at their highest level at the beginning of a season AND fixing the defense will be a season-long process.

* MF has better dudes on his ND defense than he had at Cincinnati.

* The Irish OL is able to bully OSU's front 7.

* Ohio State turns the ball over multiple times and/or gives up non-offensive scores.

* God is, at it turns out, definitely Catholic.

The line is hovering around 14.5 which I agree with. It is amazing the spread is that big considering Notre Dame is ranked #5 and the Buckeyes sit at #2. It proves a couple of things. 1). The difference in talent gap between the top 4 and the rest of CFB. 2). Notre Dame is very overrated entering this season. Notre Dame would finish at or just above .500 if in the SEC this season.

PS: I'm a ND fan.

The line is hovering around 14.5 which I agree with. It is amazing the spread is that big considering Notre Dame is ranked #5 and the Buckeyes sit at #2. It proves a couple of things. 1). The difference in talent gap between the top 4 and the rest of CFB. 2). Notre Dame is very overrated entering this season. Notre Dame would finish at or just above .500 if in the SEC this season.

PS: I'm a ND fan.
I don't think they are overrated. I think they have questions that don't have clear answers. Can MF be a head coach? The Irish don't have a good history hiring first time head coaches. Can their QB win games?

They do have what should be a stout defense, a very good offensive line, and the best TE in CFB. You can build something from there, but head coaches and QBs win big games for you and that's where their questions are.

They are in with a clump of teams that, depending on how they answer their questions, could be top 5 or 10 or do a Humpty-Dumpty: Texas A&M, scUM, Okla, Utah, etc.

Evan Pryor suffered an undisclosed knee injury and is likely out for the season. I was looking forward to seeing him take a more active role this year. He's a smooth runner. Word on the street is that Hayden looked good in the scrimmage this past weekend, for whatever that's worth. Let's hope they don't have to recruit Steele or Chip from the LB room. Lol.

Evan Pryor suffered an undisclosed knee injury and is likely out for the season. I was looking forward to seeing him take a more active role this year. He's a smooth runner. Word on the street is that Hayden looked good in the scrimmage this past weekend, for whatever that's worth. Let's hope they don't have to recruit Steele or Chip from the LB room. Lol.
Dang! I was looking forward to seeing him too.

Well, the human bowling ball, Miyan Williams, will get more touches and that ain't a bad thing. Maybe Dallan Hayden will get an opportunity.

But that hurts me to see Pryor go down. Football is a violent game that certain joints are not designed for.

Dang! I was looking forward to seeing him too.

Well, the human bowling ball, Miyan Williams, will get more touches and that ain't a bad thing. Maybe Dallan Hayden will get an opportunity.

But that hurts me to see Pryor go down. Football is a violent game that certain joints are not designed for.
Agreed on all counts. Also hearing that Kam Babb had a tweak as well. I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Rampant speculation on the message boards, but I know most of that is likely bluster. Day had confirmed it was minor, and that he would be back at 100% toward the end of last week. Hope this wasn't something that transpired over the weekend. I would be absolutely gutted for that young man if he didn't get back to the field this year. Especially after getting the Block O jersey. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it's just a rumor.

I don't think they are overrated. I think they have questions that don't have clear answers. Can MF be a head coach? The Irish don't have a good history hiring first time head coaches. Can their QB win games?

They do have what should be a stout defense, a very good offensive line, and the best TE in CFB. You can build something from there, but head coaches and QBs win big games for you and that's where their questions are.

They are in with a clump of teams that, depending on how they answer their questions, could be top 5 or 10 or do a Humpty-Dumpty: Texas A&M, scUM, Okla, Utah, etc.
I'd feel different if they had depth at QB but they don't. They are starting a true sophomore dual threat in a very pro style offense. His back ups are pretty bad so I'm sure Rees will protect him at all costs and not use him in the run game which is where Buchner thrives. Another aspect would be the two interior DT's for ND come in at 6'1" 275 and 6'2" 280. Although the Irish have a solid edge guy in Foskey OSU should have their way with the Irish upfront. If Knowles D is improved from last year look for the game to start close and OSU utilize their depth to pull away in 2nd half. 35-17.

OSU is better and has more depth than ND at every position group minus maybe DB and TE.

I'd feel different if they had depth at QB but they don't. They are starting a true sophomore dual threat in a very pro style offense. His back ups are pretty bad so I'm sure Rees will protect him at all costs and not use him in the run game which is where Buchner thrives. Another aspect would be the two interior DT's for ND come in at 6'1" 275 and 6'2" 280. Although the Irish have a solid edge guy in Foskey OSU should have their way with the Irish upfront. If Knowles D is improved from last year look for the game to start close and OSU utilize their depth to pull away in 2nd half. 35-17.

OSU is better and has more depth than ND at every position group minus maybe DB and TE.
Not to mention ND has lost starting WR (and captain) in Avery Davis. Light on RBs too. Plus Buchner will need to show massive improvement in the throwing department. They will need to rely heavily on Mayer as Buchner’s security blanket and hope that OL is good enough to open big enough holes for for unproven RBs.

I think people will be surprised by OSUs defense this year. OSU has the talent and athletes, they just need a decent scheme. Coombs, as amazing as he was a recruiter, energy guy and DB coach, had never formulated a defense prior to his second stint in Columbus and it was evident he did not grow much in that aspect of his job in year 2. By all accounts Knowles, while not be the recruiting ace/high on Red Bull energy guy Coombs was, knows how to direct and coach a defense. Not saying they’ll be top 5 or top 10. But with that offense they only need to be top 25-35 to beat anyone.

Not to mention ND has lost starting WR (and captain) in Avery Davis. Light on RBs too. Plus Buchner will need to show massive improvement in the throwing department. They will need to rely heavily on Mayer as Buchner’s security blanket and hope that OL is good enough to open big enough holes for for unproven RBs.

I think people will be surprised by OSUs defense this year. OSU has the talent and athletes, they just need a decent scheme. Coombs, as amazing as he was a recruiter, energy guy and DB coach, had never formulated a defense prior to his second stint in Columbus and it was evident he did not grow much in that aspect of his job in year 2. By all accounts Knowles, while not be the recruiting ace/high on Red Bull energy guy Coombs was, knows how to direct and coach a defense. Not saying they’ll be top 5 or top 10. But with that offense they only need to be top 25-35 to beat anyone.
Agree 100%.

Buchner will walk into Shoe to start his first game. If I’m Knowles I load the box, bring heat, stuff the run, and make him beat me in the air which he will struggle to do. ND will hit a screen here and there as well as find a mismatch to Mayer a couple times but that will not sustain a win.

As an OSU fan I really worry about this game, Notre Dame is going to pound OSU on the ground probably similar to what Michigan did and have a pass rusher in Foskey who I don't think OSU can block. For all the criticism OSUs defense got last season against the better defenses the offense did not set the world on fire and was limited a lot of times.