Ohio State Buckeyes 2020

Ohio State may have hit a home run with Combs as D-coordinator. Sort of like how Clemson has their guy. The Buckeyes lost a lot of defensive talent from last year and Combs was making the transition from pros to college yet right now his defense is playing great.

Take last night. Clemson goes down the field like a hot knife through butter to score that first TD. Combs then does an NFL style adjustment and after that Clemson only scores 14 points until they get a garbage time TD late in the 4th quarter. That was an impressive three quarter stretch against one of the great offenses and QB's in college football.

To the extent that the talent allows, and they are kids after all, Combs will limit Bama's Smith. We're also going to see just how good Mac Jones really is as Combs will try to confuse him down the field and pressure him in the pocket. If Jones does well in the face of what will be a tough Combs defense then he's an early first round draft pick. If he doesn't Bama will be in trouble.

As an aside, Bama really missed their stud center yesterday against ND. They struggled to run the ball up the middle and they gave up the gut pressure to the ND D. Combs is going to exploit this.

As an added bonus Combs will be happy to stay as long as Day will have him.

It’s Coombs and he has a ton of experience on the Defensive side of the ball at many different levels of Football. Personal opinion here, but he is also rather quietly one of the best Recruiters in the country.

I think so. But I remember you saying we couldn't beat Clemson. You had no faith. Are you better now?
Color me happily WRONG.

I thought the Buckeyes could win the game, but if it was a blowout, Clemson would be the winner.

I honestly think the Alabama QB will have not seen pressure like he will next Monday night.

And he's not real mobile.

Color me happily WRONG.

I thought the Buckeyes could win the game, but if it was a blowout, Clemson would be the winner.

I honestly think the Alabama QB will have not seen pressure like he will next Monday night.

And he's not real mobile.
I like our chances. Go Buckeyes!

The 'Bama OL is head and shoulders above the Clemson OL, the tOSU DL probably will not push these guys around.

The key for Ohio State in this game will be containing the 'Bama run game. They run more of a NFL offense where play action is key to getting the WRs open and Najee Harris is a much better RB than Etienne. The tOSU LBs will need to be able to tackle and keep the yards after contact to a minimum plus cover him out of the backfield, he is also much better at picking up the blitz. The safeties cannot cheat to support the run because they will be needed to help out on the deep balls. Same goes when Ohio State has the ball, their LBs are good but not 'Bama great and their safeties are actually below par. My guess is Fields will be limited in his running which really stinks because that will give the Crimson Tide 1 less thing to worry about on defense.

The 'Bama OL is head and shoulders above the Clemson OL, the tOSU DL probably will not push these guys around.

The key for Ohio State in this game will be containing the 'Bama run game. They run more of a NFL offense where play action is key to getting the WRs open and Najee Harris is a much better RB than Etienne. The tOSU LBs will need to be able to tackle and keep the yards after contact to a minimum plus cover him out of the backfield, he is also much better at picking up the blitz. The safeties cannot cheat to support the run because they will be needed to help out on the deep balls. Same goes when Ohio State has the ball, their LBs are good but not 'Bama great and their safeties are actually below par. My guess is Fields will be limited in his running which really stinks because that will give the Crimson Tide 1 less thing to worry about on defense.
Since Mac Jones isn't a dual threat QB like Lawrence that will give the Bucks D one less thing to worry about too. Being a less mobile QB might give the Bucks pass rush a better chance to create more havoc.

According to PFF the offensive lines were ranked like this after week 13 in 2020.
1 - Notre Dame
9 - Alabama
12 - Ohio State
19 - Clemson
I'm not sure if 9 to 19 qualifies as "head and shoulders".
But I definitely agree with your key.
Most people are probably aware that Alabama QB Jones and WR Smith are in the top four for Heisman voting.
Alabama RB Harris was fifth. (Justin Fields seventh).
The OSU defensive approach will be interesting to see - along with the offensive approach from Alabama.

According to PFF the offensive lines were ranked like this after week 13 in 2020.
1 - Notre Dame
9 - Alabama
12 - Ohio State
19 - Clemson
I'm not sure if 9 to 19 qualifies as "head and shoulders".
But I definitely agree with your key.
Most people are probably aware that Alabama QB Jones and WR Smith are in the top four for Heisman voting.
Alabama RB Harris was fifth. (Justin Fields seventh).
The OSU defensive approach will be interesting to see - along with the offensive approach from Alabama.

I am usually a big PFF guy but I am not sure how accurate this ranking is. As we have seen TY the ACC is down so the DLs they faced were not among the best so they have graded very well. One thing that is a fact is Clemson has had only 3 OL drafted in the past 10 years with 0 in the 1st round. 'Bama and tOSU have had double digit OL drafted with numerous 1st rounders. Also Jackson Carmen never really grew in his time at Clemson, I thought he was going to be a 1st round type talent but at this time he is looking like a 3rd day pick. I would not be surprised if there is a change in the Clemson coaching staff at this position.

I am usually a big PFF guy but I am not sure how accurate this ranking is. As we have seen TY the ACC is down so the DLs they faced were not among the best so they have graded very well. One thing that is a fact is Clemson has had only 3 OL drafted in the past 10 years with 0 in the 1st round. 'Bama and tOSU have had double digit OL drafted with numerous 1st rounders. Also Jackson Carmen never really grew in his time at Clemson, I thought he was going to be a 1st round type talent but at this time he is looking like a 3rd day pick. I would not be surprised if there is a change in the Clemson coaching staff at this position.
So basically you're saying Clemson sucks in comparison to Bama? We shall see :LOL:

So Clemson’s O Coordinator had Covid, and they failed to test day of game. Now our D mysteriously has an outbreak. Hmmm. Perhaps the Tigers get the last laugh after all. (n)

So Clemson’s O Coordinator had Covid, and they failed to test day of game. Now our D mysteriously has an outbreak. Hmmm. Perhaps the Tigers get the last laugh after all. (n)
Nah, that win was awesome. I would play hardball if I were OSU. Shove the trophy if you don't want us to play with our starters. They will cave, it's about the Bucks

I'd love to be wrong, but I haven't seen anything this year that makes me think the Buckeyes are able to hang with Clemson. Fields is extremely overrated, Teague and Sermon are the worst RB duo since Lydell Ross and Mo Hall, and the defense is a shell of last year's unit.

The OL is good and they probably have the best WR corp in the nation, but that's not going to beat Clemson.
?

Ryan Day reacts to news of Harbaugh staying at ttun...
1610210834708.gif