Ohio Cardinal Conference

Conference will be much clearer after tonight. I love it when Mansfield comes to town! I think the Tygers will come in full of piss and vinegar after playing in such a big game last week.

Conference will be much clearer after tonight. I love it when Mansfield comes to town! I think the Tygers will come in full of piss and vinegar after playing in such a big game last week.
Turns out they weren’t full of much…maybe themselves. But that’s even a stretch. Total domination by west Holmes. Anyone doubting the talent WH has now?

That Ashland and New Philly game was a joke. There had to have been over 10 turnovers between the two teams.

Wooster may be able to give West Holmes some what of a game. Also New Philly has pretty good defense which may allow them to hold West Holmes down somewhat.

HUGE win… this was surprising to me. I know Mansfield is somewhat overrated but to be able to running clock them is impressive
This one is a bit misleading. Knights were CLEARLY the better team, but Mansfield D can keep them in any game. Also, this was easily the most "huh" officiated game I've seen in awhile.

WH up 17-7 when SR QB gets hit during throw and ball hits LB square in chest at 20 yd line. Pick 6 makes it 24-7. After that SR held WH in check rest of game.

4th qtr WH driving and Dixon is stripped of ball around midfield. Officials ruled he was down, but he was definitely still moving. Earlier, SR stripped the WH QB and returned it to the 20. It was a no-doubt play. Until you looked up and a flag for defensive holding was dropped about 5' off the WH sidelines.

And then there's the fair catch. Early in the game, WH launches a pooch kickoff, SR player signals fair catch, makes the catch and stands there. No whistle. He signals fair catch again, but then starts to run because he's about to get pummeled. Officials then blow the whistle, huddle, and penalize SR for "Illegal Fair Catch". That was really early, but my buddy leaned over and said "was going to be hard for them to win, but if they get screwed on calls like that, they might get blown out." And they did.

All that said, WH is definitely the more complete & better team. But they weren't 30 points better than the #2 team in the OCC

This one is a bit misleading. Knights were CLEARLY the better team, but Mansfield D can keep them in any game. Also, this was easily the most "huh" officiated game I've seen in awhile.

All that said, WH is definitely the more complete & better team. But they weren't 30 points better than the #2 team in the OCC
Mansfield is giving up 24.5 points a game on average. Not really a top shelf D.

WH up 17-7 when SR QB gets hit during throw and ball hits LB square in chest at 20 yd line. Pick 6 makes it 24-7. After that SR held WH in check rest of game.

4th qtr WH driving and Dixon is stripped of ball around midfield. Officials ruled he was down, but he was definitely still moving. Earlier, SR stripped the WH QB and returned it to the 20. It was a no-doubt play. Until you looked up and a flag for defensive holding was dropped about 5' off the WH sidelines.

And then there's the fair catch. Early in the game, WH launches a pooch kickoff, SR player signals fair catch, makes the catch and stands there. No whistle. He signals fair catch again, but then starts to run because he's about to get pummeled. Officials then blow the whistle, huddle, and penalize SR for "Illegal Fair Catch". That was really early, but my buddy leaned over and said "was going to be hard for them to win, but if they get screwed on calls like that, they might get blown out." And they did.

And there was a Mansfield Senior DE lined up off sides the entire time. They called illegal man down field on west Holmes when it wasn’t. There was a clear defensive pass interference in the end zone that WH then kicked a field goal on. WH was getting ready to intercept at midfield when a MS player pushed him in the back which should have been called offensive pass interference. So what’s your point?

Mansfield Sr. had a top heavy schedule. They should easily go undefeated the rest of the season. West Holmes is the real deal. I just wonder how well the schedule will prepare them for the playoffs? Unfortunately I would say it is a down year over all for the OCC. Not West Holmes fault. All they can do is play who is in front of them.

I said this earlier in the summer, but Mansfields Qb is very average. People were talking him up like he was going to be really good, and he hasn’t shown anything to that point yet. Any team with a decent defense can keep it close vs this Mansfield team.

I said this earlier in the summer, but Mansfields Qb is very average. People were talking him up like he was going to be really good, and he hasn’t shown anything to that point yet. Any team with a decent defense can keep it close vs this Mansfield team.

Won't be much scoring next week at NP. NP can't score but has a pretty good defense. Game will be decided by field position and turnovers. Only competitive game scheduled next week in the OCC. Other 3 games will be running clocks.

Missing the BS Offensive PI they called on SWD long TD pass. Watching back on live stream that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

Mansfield Sr. had a top heavy schedule. They should easily go undefeated the rest of the season. West Holmes is the real deal. I just wonder how well the schedule will prepare them for the playoffs? Unfortunately I would say it is a down year over all for the OCC. Not West Holmes fault. All they can do is play who is in front of them.
This is an average year for the OCC and maybe above average. Non-conference play has been good for some teams so the records are down. The OCC does not regularly produce playoff teams with wins. This season they could have 3 teams with playoff wins. Plus the bottom teams are at least challenging opponents in games. Madison is winless but played well at times. Lexington and Mount Vernon have single wins but had signs of improvement.

This is an average year for the OCC and maybe above average.
Above average? I don't see it. There is a very good West Holmes team, a better than average Mansfield team and everyone else is below average.
Ashland is down and is either rebuilding or missing their old coach. Wooster is young, especially on defense and I don't see any true game breakers on offense. I think this would be considered a below average New Philly team compared to recent past teams. It is a case that the bottom six teams can be competitive among themselves.

The OCC is a mess this year I think. Right now I will say.
1. West Holmes by far
2. Mansfield but wow they had not much offense unless west Holmes defense is better then what I thought
3. Wooster
4. New Philadelphia
5. Ashland
6. Madison (better team than you think)
7. Lexington
8 mt Vernon

Mansfield is giving up 24.5 points a game on average. Not really a top shelf D.
Have no doubt that # is correct, but when 2 of the 4 games are against Massillon & West Holmes, that's going to skew your average quite a bit! : )

Only way I could see them giving up over 24 again in the regular season is if they have a 5 turnover night. And even then, Wooster is probably the only team that could do that.

This is spot on. He's a really good athlete, but not the kind of guy that can drop a ball in. Couple of slants and curls that just needed dropped in he threw like he was Nolan Ryan and the receiver was Robin Ventura.

Above average? I don't see it. There is a very good West Holmes team, a better than average Mansfield team and everyone else is below average.
Ashland is down and is either rebuilding or missing their old coach. Wooster is young, especially on defense and I don't see any true game breakers on offense. I think this would be considered a below average New Philly team compared to recent past teams. It is a case that the bottom six teams can be competitive among themselves.
West Holmes may be the best they ever have been in the history of the OCC.
Mansfield and Wooster regularly make the playoffs and that should-could happen again this season.
Ashland was 15-15 in the last three seasons and is currently 2-2 in the 4th season of their current coach. They look to be on par.
NP has never been in the OCC so what ever they bring is an improvement.
Madison is better.
Mt Vernon and Lexington look to be like they always are.

Have no doubt that # is correct, but when 2 of the 4 games are against Massillon & West Holmes, that's going to skew your average quite a bit! : )

Only way I could see them giving up over 24 again in the regular season is if they have a 5 turnover night. And even then, Wooster is probably the only team that could do that.
Two very good opponents for sure but their defense didn't keep them in either game. They gave up 19 to a winless Norwalk team.

Mansfield and Wooster regularly make the playoffs and that should-could happen again this season.
With the expanded playoffs, that isn't such a big deal anymore. West Holmes is the only OCC team that I see that might make some noise in the playoffs.

With the expanded playoffs, that isn't such a big deal anymore. West Holmes is the only OCC team that I see that might make some noise in the playoffs.
In the 19 football seasons of the OCC Mansfield and Wooster have each made the playoffs 8 times. And both in that same time have have averaged about 6 wins a season. This year they should both do better than that.

WH played pretty sloppy on both sides, penalties and missed assignments, I think WH could have put up another 2 TD's if they play mistake free. This is probably the case for most high school teams though. If they are looking to make a run deep in the playoffs those things will have to be cleaned up quickly.

Its a tough situation with officiating, because you cant play without them and even the best crews miss some calls. However, some of the penalties missed/called kind of changed the flow of the game. I don't remember seeing the kid call for a fair catch prior to fielding the kick. Then he threw his hand up and then took off running. Maybe I missed that. The offensive PI call looked more like a swim to hit the extra gear and get by the defender then a push/pull/shove. It was clearly a strip of the football. Those are really big calls that can really change a game.