Ohio Alumni All Star Team

Crusaders1

If you were to put our best Alumni on 1 team (regardless of time period) who would be on it?

Mine:

Coach - Greg Ulland
S- Steve Kehoe
MH1 - Max Holt
MH 2 - John Tholen
OH 1 - Mike Powers
OH 2 - Dejon Clarke
RS - Andy Sellen
L - Rhett Cash

You could argue for Greg Herceg (RS) and Jarrod Kelso (MH). Really you could make a case for a lot of those positions. The only ones that I think will be unanimous are Kehoe and Holt. And maybe Cash. In 2 years Parker Mikesh will be the best L for sure.

You could argue for Greg Herceg (RS) and Jarrod Kelso (MH). Really you could make a case for a lot of those positions. The only ones that I think will be unanimous are Kehoe and Holt. And maybe Cash. In 2 years Parker Mikesh will be the best L for sure.

I said alumni... I'm not sure any of them are set in stone, what about Ian Cowen for setter? Owen McAndrews for middle?

Plenty of Conversation for this, here would be my team:

OH: Mike Powers, Sam Holt(Starters) Dejon Clark
MH: Max Holt, Jarrod Kelso(Starters) John Tholen(Backup)
RS: Andy Sellan(Starter) Colin Hackworth(Backup)
S: Steven Kehoe(Starter) Thane Fanfulink, Carter Cassell(Backups)
L: Rhett Cash(Starter) Parker Mikesh(Backup, I'll take him now)

I think a full team consists of 15 and it'd be between a handful of guys for the last two spots

For example: Matt Vandenbrock, Chris Hackman, Owen McAndrews, Anthony Randolph, Keaton Pieper, Chuck Eisenhower, Blake McCormick, and Ian Cowen

Here is a thread from awhile back that would be a good place to start
http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254416

My team

S Steven Kehoe (St X, 06, Ohio State)
OH Lee Meyer (Moe, 07, Ball State)
OH Mike Wauligman (Elder, 00, Ohio State)
MH Max Holt (Purcell Marian, 05, Penn State, US Mens National Team)
MH Owen McAndrews (St Edward, 12, Loyola Chicago)
OPP Brett Versen (Centerville, 04, Ohio State)
L Connor Martin (St Edward, 05, Ohio State)

Bench Players
S Ian Cowen
S Keaton Pieper
OH Robbie Klein
OH Nick Meyer
OH Dejon Clarke
MH Matt Harpenau
MH Jarrod Kelso
MH John Tholen
OPP Andy Sellan
OPP Logan Kerlin
L Rhett Cash
L Parker Mikesch
L Andy Pompei

No Panthers? Craig Wessles has to be on there as a setter. The only one I'm taking over him is Kehoe. I'd also have Matt Harpenau as one of the middles assuming there were 3-4.

No Panthers? Craig Wessles has to be on there as a setter. The only one I'm taking over him is Kehoe. I'd also have Matt Harpenau as one of the middles assuming there were 3-4.

Elder has had a bunch of amazing teams, and IMO even better coaches. The thing with Elder is I can't remember a player that would take the place of some of the names mentioned above

What I'm noticing about this thread is that some of the posts seem to be taking into consideration the college careers of some of these players. Kehoe, for example seems to be untouched in this list. While I personally think he was a great high school player, I could also put some other setters in the list that were right there with him for their high school careers.

There are quite a few players that had great high school careers without ever having a college career that could be considered some of the best this state has seen. (Wessels, Powers, etc.)

Also, Elder should have at least one player on this list IMO. You have to go way back, but Mike Wauligman is a two time state champ for the Panthers!

As I've mentioned before, I'm not willing to give any of the "Big 3" coaches too much credit. Not to say any of them are bad coaches, but those schools always have the most talent and depth.

As mentioned, Elder hasn't had many of the superstar players in recent years. Mike Wauligman is probably Elder's best ever player, and likely in the top 5 of best Ohio players ever but graduated in around 2000 (?), so not many on this site, myself included got to see him play.

Then you have Wessels, Bertke, Harpenau, Neiheisel, Nortmann, Luebbe brothers, Herdemann and I'm sure I'm missing many others who were all VERY good players and some of the best for their age groups but not necessarily names I would have at the top of my list for this topic

As mentioned, Elder hasn't had many of the superstar players in recent years. Mike Wauligman is probably Elder's best ever player, and likely in the top 5 of best Ohio players ever but graduated in around 2000 (?), so not many on this site, myself included got to see him play.

Then you have Wessels, Bertke, Harpenau, Neiheisel, Nortmann, Luebbe brothers, Herdemann and I'm sure I'm missing many others who were all VERY good players and some of the best for their age groups but not necessarily names I would have at the top of my list for this topic

Correct, Wauligman graduated in 2000. Two names that people will not remember from Elder, but were unreal in HS are John Seaton (current Elder Varsity Assistant coach) and Alex Vogt. Anyone who were able to see them play in HS were lucky. Vogt played with Wauligman and put up extremely similar numbers as Wauligman.

Just wanted to point out that Ian Cowen has been starting this season for Loyola. They are 2-1, with their loss coming against #2 ranked UCLA and just defeated #3 ranked BYU on Saturday

Off topic, but didn't want to start a whole new thread. I saw that Will Eichel is no longer listed on the Ohio State men's volleyball roster. Anyone know what's up with that? Is he still at the school and just not on the team, or did he transfer somewhere?