OHC 2021

Darby Valley League
The DVL was formed in 1956, as the Madison County League was reduced through consolidation from nine schools to four over a two year period, forcing the schools to seek other schools to compete with. Growing from its five initial schools, the conference grew to 11 schools by 1963, but never achieved any sense of stability, as schools joined and left for other conferences throughout its existence. The conference folded in 1977, as five of its members left for other leagues at the same time.

• Ashville-Harrison Broncos1 (1956–62, consolidated into Teays Valley)
  • Jamestown Greeneview Rams2 (1956–77, to Kenton Trace Conference)
  • Newport Madison-South Lions3 (1956–73, consolidated into Madison-Plains)
  • North Lewisburg Triad Cardinals4 (1956–74, to West Central Ohio League)
  • West Jefferson Roughriders3 (1956–63, to Franklin County League)
  • Plain City Jonathan Alder Pioneers6 (1957–77, to Central Buckeye League)
  • Mount Sterling The Plains Blue Devils (1957–73, consolidated into Madison-Plains)
  • Cedarville Indians (1961–77, to Kenton Trace Conference)
  • West Liberty-Salem Tigers (1961–67, to Logan County League)
  • Yellow Springs Bulldogs (1961–77)
  • Ashville Teays Valley Vikings (1962–64, to South Suburban League)
  • Mechanicsburg Indians (1963–74, to West Central Ohio League)
  • South Charleston Southeastern Trojans (1963–77, to Kenton Trace Conference)
  • Xenia Woodrow Wilson Cadets (1972–77)
  • London Madison-Plains Golden Eagles5 (1974–77, to South Central Ohio League)
  • Dayton Jefferson Broncos (1975–77)

1. Concurrent with Pickaway County League 1956–61.
  2. Concurrent with Greene County League 1956–61.
  3. Concurrent with Madison County League 1956–57.
  4. Concurrent with Champaign County League 1956–61.
  5. Concurrent with South Central Ohio League 1974–75.
  6. Concurrent with Central Buckeye League 1976–77)

something doesn’t seem right with this. West Jefferson and West Liberty were in the same conference from 61-63? They hadn’t played before their playoff game 12 or so year ago I thought.

Realistic? How is those desired conference by the Yappi posters realistic? Do you know of all the ties to the schools involved? The "core" schools? The conferences y'all are desiring should on the CBC thread with the list I've seen. How off base is that?
And now the new kids on the block want change? LOL! Have Greenon go back to the CBC if they think they are too big for their own britches.
i’m old as it gets on here and even i realize that times change. schools are changing. towns are changing. demographics are changing. who cares about old ties. the OHC was great for everyone when the league was formed. they expanded with the right schools at the right time. but the league was absolutely not built to last. leagues run there course (as they always do) and the OHC’s time is close to up. 20-30 years is outstanding for a league. i don’t know why you bring Greenon in to this conversation, we like who we play in the south and some of the crossovers are nice but it would also be nice to play more county schools. Greenon can’t control who likes playing us and who doesn’t.

If that’s the attitude of the OHC, get me out of here. Haha. I would use that as incentive to build a matching culture, not as a reason to want them to leave. West Jeff has some ignorant fans, but they’re as passionate and loyal as they come around these parts. I think people don’t like it, likely because they’re jealous of it. ?‍♂️
some schools just aren’t built to have the same success as West Jeff, plain and simple. part of the problem is the community/parents and some is the administration running a coach out because he doesn’t win a championship after 2 seasons. what they did at West Jeff took time and patience, something many other schools don’t have these days.

i’m old as it gets on here and even i realize that times change. schools are changing. towns are changing. demographics are changing. who cares about old ties. the OHC was great for everyone when the league was formed. they expanded with the right schools at the right time. but the league was absolutely not built to last. leagues run there course (as they always do) and the OHC’s time is close to up. 20-30 years is outstanding for a league. i don’t know why you bring Greenon in to this conversation, we like who we play in the south and some of the crossovers are nice but it would also be nice to play more county schools. Greenon can’t control who likes playing us and who doesn’t.
I personally haven’t heard anything about Greenon, if I had to guess it’s more about 3 of the schools in the south being small schools. But there’s not really anything that can be done about that without major travel.

I personally haven’t heard anything about Greenon, if I had to guess it’s more about 3 of the schools in the south being small schools. But there’s not really anything that can be done about that without major travel.
I completely agree. only thing you could do to make them happy is put them in a division with all D6/7 schools and then they play a few larger schools in crossovers.

To sum up my general thoughts on this, I'm happy with the OHC as is. You could remove someone here, add someone there, but I think the general core of the league is good. Like I said earlier, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think it would be a shame if the league had any major overhaul. The 4 additions a few years ago were great additions for the league and all have a lot to offer.

To sum up my general thoughts on this, I'm happy with the OHC as is. You could remove someone here, add someone there, but I think the general core of the league is good. Like I said earlier, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I think it would be a shame if the league had any major overhaul. The 4 additions a few years ago were great additions for the league and all have a lot to offer.
I think a good amount depends on the CBC and what happens in that league. one league imploding likely leads to the other doing the same thing.

Do you think the CBC has any complaints? I haven't heard of any. Have you?
yes, Northwestern doesn't seem to be too happy in the MR division. and it's easy to see why. I think you could solve the problems by switching Northwestern and Bellefontaine to create a North and South. Shawnee is D5 playing (and competing) in the KT, Northwestern has no reason not to as a D4 school. but that's for another thread.

I know this is going to be totally off topic for this current OHC 2021 thread, but who are the returning starters to watch for from each school. Note sarcasm lolol

OHC NORTH RETURNER ALL-LEAGUE PLAYERS

Fairbanks
Brogan Green, RB/DB (Junior)
Riordin Stauffer, RB/LB (Senior)
Joe Kinsley, OL/DL (Senior)
Tanner Ufferman, TE/LB (Senior)

Mechanicsburg
Aaron Conley, QB/DB (Senior)
Jake Hurst, WR/LB (Senior)
Adam Waller, OL/DL (Senior)
Danny Mascadri, WR/DB (Senior)

Northeastern
Cade Houseman, QB/DB (Junior)
Hunter Albright, RB/LB (Junior)
Gunner Leonard, WR/LB (Junior)

Triad
Chase Hecker, RB/DL (Junior)

West Jefferson
MJ Book, WR/DB (Senior)
Tyler Buescher, QB/DB (Senior)
Canyon Schneider, OL/DL (Senior)
Mike Pettry, RB/LB (Senior)

West Liberty-Salem
Christian Griffith, QB/DB (Senior)
Trevor Berry, WR/DL (Junior)
Logan Godwin, OL/DL (Senior)

OHC NORTH OTHER KEY RETURNERS: (based off of stats, so I don't have OL included)

Faribanks:
Ethan Kise, QB (Junior)
Mazen Green, RB (Senior)
CJ Swartz, DB (Junior)
AJ Landon, S (Sophomore)

Mechanicsburg
Westyn Moyer, CB (Senior)
Levi Milledge, DL (Junior)
Dylan Schetter, RB/CB (Junior)

Northeastern
Cody Lookabaugh, RB/DB (Sophomore)
Dylan Haggy, WR/DB (Junior)
Adam Laughbaum, WR/DB (Junior)
Colton Moone, TE/LB (Senior)
Johnny Jones, DB (Sophomore)

Triad
Ayden Sanford, RB/DB (Senior)
Hayden Simpson, RB/DB (Senior)
Jackson Cordell, RB/DB (Junior)
Michael Warner, OL/LB (Junior)
Derek Bails, TE/LB (Senior)
Mason Harper, DB (Senior)
Diego Hernandez, LB (Senior)

West Jefferson
Hayden Salyer, RB/DB (Senior)
Adam Fry, WR/DB (Senior)
Garrett Higgins, DB (Senior)
Jarrett Simmons, TE/DE (Senior)
Anthony Barr, LB (Junior)

West Liberty-Salem
Dylan Glunt, WR/DB (Junior)
Brady Forsythe, RB/DB (Senior)
Carson King, WR/DB (Senior)
Gabe McGill, RB/LB (Sophomore)

yes, Northwestern doesn't seem to be too happy in the MR division. and it's easy to see why. I think you could solve the problems by switching Northwestern and Bellefontaine to create a North and South. Shawnee is D5 playing (and competing) in the KT, Northwestern has no reason not to as a D4 school. but that's for another thread.
It's hard for me, please explain. In 2019 , they were 2nd. In 2018, they ties for 1st with Urbana and Indian Lake.

It's hard for me, please explain. In 2019 , they were 2nd. In 2018, they ties for 1st with Urbana and Indian Lake.
travel, not competition. I can name 3 moves they could make that would instantly mean better travel across the board.

travel, not competition. I can name 3 moves they could make that would instantly mean better travel across the board.
Travel? They can't compete in the Kenton Trail, but I think they hold their own in the Mad River. No?
Please name them, you got my attention. Actually with NW now, they actually fit the OHC now. But everything runs in cycles. It's funny how that works.

The travel IMO sucks for Northwestern with North Union now being in the Mad River. Having to make that trip along with Indian Lake and Benjamin Logan is rough. Winning (generally) cures all though.

From a travel perspective, especially with the budget crunch that's going to hit in the next fiscal year due to COVID, there would be financial sense in making the divisions more geographic friendly. I can't see it ever happening though due to football. From a football perspective, the current Kenton Trail is probably about as good as it gets at the moment for those schools. I can't see any geographical flip flopping screwing that up. The current alignment will probably be the way things are until the next time there's some movement, at which point odds are the league will either shrink or implode with most of the schools ending up together in some other configuration.

Last edited:
Travel? They can't compete in the Kenton Trail, but I think they hold their own in the Mad River. No?
Please name them, you got my attention. Actually with NW now, they actually fit the OHC now. But everything runs in cycles. It's funny how that works.
1. swap divisions with Bellefontaine. it wouldn’t be that bad but it’s not ideal.
2. OHC. they almost fit right now.
3. the new TRC. they fit that conference almost perfectly but they would be losing the Clark County rivals plus Graham.

1. They get beat up in the small division. Why would they want to go the the Kenton Trail and get pounded?
2. I was hoping for NW to join the OHC when they expanded, but apparently they were interested.
3. What's this TRC conference? Who all is in it? I'm not sure what Clark County teams they are rivals to, but they could always try and schedule them before conference play begins.

1. They get beat up in the small division. Why would they want to go the the Kenton Trail and get pounded?
2. I was hoping for NW to join the OHC when they expanded, but apparently they were interested.
3. What's this TRC conference? Who all is in it? I'm not sure what Clark County teams they are rivals to, but they could always try and schedule them before conference play begins.

The Three Rivers Conference is a conference being formed out of the breakup of the Cross County Conference.

Tipp City Bethel
Covington
Lehman Catholic
Miami East
Milton Union
Dayton Northrige
Degraff Riverside
Troy Christian

you say they get beat up in the small division, but early you talked about how they recently placed 1st and 2nd in that division?

i think he means historically speaking. I agree, northwestern belongs in the OHC at this point.
honestly, they could swap places with West Liberty Salem and no one would question the decision (not a knock on WLS one bit). WLS is a PERFECT fit in the current Mad River division but i don’t see them leaving Burg. i think they’ve turned down an invitation before.

honestly, they could swap places with West Liberty Salem and no one would question the decision (not a knock on WLS one bit). WLS is a PERFECT fit in the current Mad River division but i don’t see them leaving Burg. i think they’ve turned down an invitation before.

Burg “ it’s not me. It’s you. It was fun while it lasted but I’m sure you’ll land on your feet”

WLS “what....but what will Frank say.....you can’t do this to me.......the neighbors..... well I never!”

Last edited:
you say they get beat up in the small division, but early you talked about how they recently placed 1st and 2nd in that division?
My point was the NW is fine where they are unless they go to the OHC, which would be a better place for them.

The biggest issue regarding NW and the OHC is that the OHC really isn't a better league for their whole athletic program, it would probably only be better in football and basketball...and in football it wouldn't be any better and possibly worse if they were put into the OHC North where they should be if such a move were made. In the OHC South they would have the same issue as Greenon on probably an even bigger scale in most years in that they'd run roughshod over all of the small schools in the other sports.

The best thing that probably could happen for them is a swap to the Kenton Trail so they could have a core chunk of their schedule against Kenton Ridge, Shawnee and Tecumseh. It would be rough in football and basketball, but across the board in the other sports most years they should be competitive against the Kenton Trail schools and the travel would be better. In terms of "rivals" they should be with those three schools. I'd consider their real "rivals" to be Graham, Greenon and Miami East, of which only Graham remains in the Mad River.

If you go strictly by geographic locations... a league that could make sense is combining the champaign, logan, and union co schools. Multiple ways to split divisions, size (large/small), and location (north/south or east/west). I do understand that this hypothetical would leave madison co schools out (WJ/MP). But is an interesting concept. Riverside could also be in the mix.

Bellefontaine D3
Ben Logan D4, Urbana D4, Graham D4
Indian Lake D5, North Union D5, Mechanicsburg D5, WLS D5
Triad D6, Fairbanks D6

Attachments

• LCU League.PNG
    LCU League.PNG
    252.2 KB · Views: 18
If you go strictly by geographic locations... a league that could make sense is combining the champaign, logan, and union co schools. Multiple ways to split divisions, size (large/small), and location (north/south or east/west). I do understand that this hypothetical would leave madison co schools out (WJ/MP). But is an interesting concept. Riverside could also be in the mix.

Bellefontaine D3
Ben Logan D4, Urbana D4, Graham D4
Indian Lake D5, North Union D5, Mechanicsburg D5, WLS D5
Triad D6, Fairbanks D6

Mechanicsburg is actually a D6 and the smallest school on the list and will not rejoin a league with Ben Logan or Indian Lake any time in the near future. And as noted above would ditch WLS at the drop of the hat at least until they (the tigers) make some personal changes (JV, GJ).
From a Burg stand point that is a NO go. My druthers would be the OHC stay minus WLS, Greenon and SCC. Go back to playing everyone in football 2x in basketball and have a true league again. Those I'm asking to leave. Greenon nothing personal just kinda over there and not a bad fit but not a perfect puzzle piece either. WLS and SCC well it is personal and the CBC and MBC would pick you all up, and non conference vs the tigers is okay.

I'm curious as to why you're so against Ben Logan and the Lake in regards to a league? The Burg is better than both at sports, so there would be no problem with them being a little bigger. Is it Ben Logan helping break up the old WCOC? Is so, I don't remember the Lake having anything to do with that.

I think that the league that makes the most sense is.........

Ben Logan
Indian Lake
Urbana
Graham
WLS
Burg
Northwestern
Northeastern

I know losing Triad is probably a deal breaker and there would be concern that if Urbana ever gets back to what they once were, that football would be lopsided. It would be pretty competitive right now and the only "bad" trip would be the two Springfield schools to the two Logan Co schools.

I think the OHC will stand pat for the time being. Only change I foresee is a couple of the non competitive southern schools drop off. Then they maybe poach NW, but NW didn't apply last time, so not sure that has changed.

Mechanicsburg is actually a D6 and the smallest school on the list and will not rejoin a league with Ben Logan or Indian Lake any time in the near future. And as noted above would ditch WLS at the drop of the hat at least until they (the tigers) make some personal changes (JV, GJ).
From a Burg stand point that is a NO go. My druthers would be the OHC stay minus WLS, Greenon and SCC. Go back to playing everyone in football 2x in basketball and have a true league again. Those I'm asking to leave. Greenon nothing personal just kinda over there and not a bad fit but not a perfect puzzle piece either. WLS and SCC well it is personal and the CBC and MBC would pick you all up, and non conference vs the tigers is okay.
good post but where do you see Greenon going if that happened?