OH Football

Yeah you might be right. I have no clue. But if he would've stayed, he and Ramsey would've had 3 years together; talk about a dynamic duo.

Of course, every school has a few kids that leave to play at other schools. Could they make an impact, slightly, but that is not OH biggest problem. How many more games would OH win with the kids you mentioned 1...maybe 2? So instead of 1-9 they would finish 2-8? And again, it goes both ways. Who is the BB and baseball transfers from St X that performed well for OH last year?

All these coaches have come in with success and left to have success...how come none of them could deliver while at OH?

I was just throwing out suggestions. I really don't know the answer or have a solution. I was just saying that if I was in charge or was a stakeholder in the situation what I would do.

I also provided information as to why I think there continues to be a problem at Oak Hills. If you are talking about the Deifel kid, I will say he was an Oak Hills student all the way to high school, his family is an Oak Hills family. Not sure what happened at X but he came back to his public high school. No use dwelling on one opinion I had.

If....and that is IF...there were to be an opening at Oak Hills for football, maybe this time they will look for a head coach that has proven success at taking programs that have not had much success and made them winners?

I would think that would be the first and most important qualification. There are coaches out there that have taken programs that have been given the same moniker of ...."can't win"....."coach killer" and turned them into winners.

Just something to think about...

Yeah you might be right. I have no clue. But if he would've stayed, he and Ramsey would've had 3 years together; talk about a dynamic duo.

Isn't Walters a senior? That would have only been 2 years, with one being a growing pain year for Ramsey last season. Walters opposite Hall with Falliace in the slot would have been a heck of a WR corp.

How's coach's son doing at Qb for OH this year? Sounds like they were able to keep in close and nearly upset Fairfield last week. That tells me the team isn't quitting.

chkeki

You are exactly right. Coach Cummins did turn Mt. Healthy around and there was progress at Oak Hills.....I know I am on thin ice with that....but...he turned around 1 program....Oak Hills needs someone that has done it time and time again....not a one time wonder.

chkeki

You are exactly right. Coach Cummins did turn Mt. Healthy around and there was progress at Oak Hills.....I know I am on thin ice with that....but...he turned around 1 program....Oak Hills needs someone that has done it time and time again....not a one time wonder.

It is possible that Oak Hills is just that...awful, filled with apathy, unathletic, and excuse driven. Look at all the coaches that have come through there and have left to be successful elsewhere. You talk about coaches turning a place around etc. Sheehan is a hall of fame coach easy. Took CAPE to new heights, same at Withrow, then after Oak Hills did great at Clark Mont. Commins turned around a dormant/dead program at Mt. Healthy, then after Oak Hills, has completely revived a Mariemont program that will likely have back to back playoff seasons. Now Scholz...amped up a New Richmond program, and I suspect wherever he may go after Oakie High he will be successful as well. Oak Hills is just an awful place to coach. Again it is where good coaches go to die. Seriously, look at some of the assistant coaches on the 2 previous staffs and the current staff. Wow!!!! They've had quality coaches. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. They just aren't good enough football players...PERIOD!

It really starts and ends with the youth program. Oak Hills youth programs are a mess, as evident by the turmoil about the OH between rival factions in Oak Hills community. There are two or more youth programs in football, which is one of the problems. All of them are too full of themselves to take direction from one guy (the head high school coach) and show a little humility when trying to develop a program. For years, their way hasn't worked, but they still insist they know better and no one is going to tell them how to run things. Poor coaching at the youth level, no fundamentals or insight on how to teach kids to work hard correctly and develop players as they grow older.

Elder has a number of parish teams, but they all strive for the same thing....good work habits, good fundamentals, good grasp of what the offense or defense is about, the drive to win the right way, and the ability to develop kids from 1st grade through 8th grade. Are there some coaches that aren't as good...yes, but overall very good quality of coaches that makes a difference. Are all coaches at Oak Hills youth programs bad....No, but it is the system that is flawed and way too many egos that interfere with success.

Btw, Victory had a number of third and fourth graders but whose parents sent their kids to the Oak Hills school system and Oak Hills sports that have come to Victory to play football and basketball and have been impressed with the level of coaching, organization, and smooth running system that the west side Catholics school have going. Visitation also had kids come over as well.

Until that gets straightened out, Oak Hills will continue struggle in football.

did i miss anything while i was on vacation? it doesn't look like it........i am going to be a good citizen and reserve my feelings until after the season has completed. hopefully the wonks will be back by then so i can tell them the truth and facts about OH football.

jtk
()

shoot, they played 10 games already? but i do see your point. i predicted 2-8 though so i hope your wrong like your buddy springer....;)

jtk
()

looks like i win the trophy with my 2-8 prediction......

do i win the "no prize" this year.

jtk
()

i would expect basketball to be much improved, based on what i saw over the summer. they will be young, but they are long and pretty athletic, and have a couple kids that can stroke it.

not sure about volleyball.....

jtk
()

Stuck in traffic, so I checked to see how the discussion was going. Mojo, I know its hard but I think it has to be done. Don't give me they need head coaching experience line of crap either the AD's like to give. Find someone with the passion, fire, desire, whatever you want to call it, who is going to implement and commit to a system and get the ship righted.

Reign, you can say what you want about kids leaving the district all you want. It happens every year! And its not the amount that matters. It's the quality of the kids that leave. I saw clips of the X/LaSalle game and a pass intended for Gebing was intercepted by Raleigh! You want to say those boys wouldn't have an impact? Also, nothing was mentioned about the coaches becoming dumber when they got to Oak Hills. It is about the Jimmies and Joes, and they need someone that can convince them to play! You don't need Div.1 talent to win football games. You need a team of young men that like each other, have fun, work hard, and follow the plan laid out by the head coach!

Jerry, I think Walters did attend Elder at one point? I could be wrong though, maybe Frosh year?

Walters was enrolled to attend Elder but I suppose the family switched to Oak Hills at the last second. It would be fun to have had the opportunity to see him in Elder's offense this year. He would have put up enormous numbers.

Personally I don't think Gebing or Raleigh would have made much of a difference. Does Raleigh even start for X? Walters who came from an Elder feeder school is better than both of them so the trade off was worth it. The biggest issue I've seen with OH falls back to the youth levels and lower levels in high school. There is so much politicking going on. There are way too many people, parents especially with their hand in the cookie jar so to speak. They have had several good varsity coaches, but they have far too many internal issues that should be non-existent that they have to go up against.

i would expect basketball to be much improved, based on what i saw over the summer. they will be young, but they are long and pretty athletic, and have a couple kids that can stroke it.

not sure about volleyball.....

jtk
()

They do bring back their number one OH from last year in Tim Laib, who also received 1st team all GMC honors as a junior. I do not think that he has the best of a supporting cast around him, but I am sure coach Morman will develop the players as he has the past few years. With Laib being such a threat, I can see him taking over plenty of GMC games, but when it comes to playing teams from the GCL and those Cleveland teams, I am sure that OH will be struggling to compete.

Walters was enrolled to attend Elder but I suppose the family switched to Oak Hills at the last second. It would be fun to have had the opportunity to see him in Elder's offense this year. He would have put up enormous numbers.

Personally I don't think Gebing or Raleigh would have made much of a difference. Does Raleigh even start for X? Walters who came from an Elder feeder school is better than both of them so the trade off was worth it. The biggest issue I've seen with OH falls back to the youth levels and lower levels in high school. There is so much politicking going on. There are way too many people, parents especially with their hand in the cookie jar so to speak. They have had several good varsity coaches, but they have far too many internal issues that should be non-existent that they have to go up against.

Gebing matched with Walters would have been exciting at WR. Raleigh I believe rotates at LB for X, he would start at OH. Missing those guys isn't going to change things drastically for OH, but they would definitely contribute.

Gebing matched with Walters would have been exciting at WR. Raleigh I believe rotates at LB for X, he would start at OH. Missing those guys isn't going to change things drastically for OH, but they would definitely contribute.

I agree Raleigh would start at OH. The couple of games I've seen St X play this year he barely got into the game so I was just wondering about that.

Gebing would start at OH too, but he's pretty much a non-factor at LS. I think he's only had something like 15 catches all season. He's just like the 8 others on their offense not named White or Larkin, a glorified blocker.

Last edited: