Officiating, what is happening?

Let me rephrase that. It's difficult to know how to properly play when the rules are enforced differently from week to week. Playing in the secondary is really hard nowadays because what you can do depends on the officiating crew from week to week.
Playing within the rules hasn't changed.

What you can get away with because some crews miss it and others do not changes from week to week.

And coaches are to blame for a lot of it.

"Uncatchable" is not a high school rule.

Physical contact, or knocking down, a receiver within 5 yards of the LOS is not a high school rule.

A rule change on defenseless receivers because some coaches still teach, or promote, "blowing up" a receiver who hasn't caught the ball.

Ineligibles cannot go more than two yards downfield, even if it is an rpo.

When you get caught don't blame it on the officials.

Even many teachers have a really hard time officiating with schedules. There's afterschool tutoring/help sessions that every teacher I know do regularly, there's coaching gigs, managing/supervising other extracurriculars like clubs, I know teachers who run the after school program for elementary schools, and the others have side hustles that occupy them regularly..... one does inventory/delivery stuff for a local retail, and another is a shift manager for a local gym. I don't know any teachers who leave right after school to go home, working that second job wore me down personally after 12 years and it wasn't worth not having any free time.
BS

My personal schedule changed (3 kids in 8 years) so we are more spread out. If we had them within 4-5 years I’d be back already. But with soccer, dance, year round baseball, basketball and football, I need the OT money not football money to pay for the extra curriculars. If I’m going to be gone on a weekday night it may was well make me more money and help my retirement. I still help track penalties when I have a free Friday, but I don’t have time for sub varsity games bc I’m not missing my kids stuff to watch other kids play. Once the youngest gets a set schedule I would love to get back in and I’m sure I’ll have to start back on the sideline, which is what I expect and will accept without argument.

Isn't Friday night kickoff 7pm? That was change. Also, many have pointed out, there are more Saturday and Thursday games now, and that moves many JV, Freshman games. Middle School and Youth games seem to change all the time. So, the schedule seems to have changed a great deal over the years, and is more and more as we get further into this shortage.
For decades, the games were played on weekdays as follows.....

Monday - extremely rare
Tuesday - very rare
Wednesday - JH and some Frosh
Thursday - Frosh and some JH
Friday - Varsity
Saturday - Frosh/JV morning games and some rare varsity games late in the afternoon and evening

Now, games are being played 6 days a week. Mind you, the amount of games hasn't increased, just the days they are played.

Reffed a soccer game tonight and one of my partners is 19, a first year ref, and said he did a varsity game in Washington Court House by himself this year. I didn’t realize the shortage was THAT bad.

Just being at my 6 year olds soccer games I can certainly believe that. Anytime one of these kids falls down bc of contact or trips over an opponents legs, said parents start hollering, my wife (a life long soccer player) included. Thankfully our leagues officials have the patience to talk to the fans about what’s going on while not stopping play. In my limited experience I’d say soccer parents are the worst.

What you can get away with because some crews miss it and others do not changes from week to week.

Physical contact, or knocking down, a receiver within 5 yards of the LOS is not a high school rule.

A rule change on defenseless receivers because some coaches still teach, or promote, "blowing up" a receiver who hasn't caught the ball.

Im really confused by this post.

I said rules are not being enforced consistently and some not at all, by any crew.

I gave specific examples and no where did I say anything about uncatchable balls, 5 yard contact rule, or defenseless receivers.

I am talking about officials not enforcing rules from crew to crew, not missing a few calls.

I have seen the same officials 3-4 times a year for the same team going to games and so much when I was coaching that all knew our entire coaching staff's names and even all of our starters' names. It still happens, not as much as it used to, but with the NKY team I follow, I have already seen the exact crew 3 different times this season. Now, that may be because the officiating shortage is much worse in KY than Ohio, but it still happens.
For the last 3 games vs Milford for us we have had the same refs. Every game the refs made really bad calls. It was like they wanted Milford to win. Then when you look at Milford's bench at halftime the refs are sitting on the their bench talking with the coaches. Hmmm. That is unusual behavior. Also someone needs to tell Milford that having the chain gang on the their home side is a little suspicious.

My personal favorite is when coaches of bad teams complain about rules changes - you all have the power to teach to play within the rules and yet you dont...

Monday - extremely rare
Tuesday - very rare
Friday - Varsity
Saturday - Frosh/JV morning games and some rare varsity games late in the afternoon and evening

Now, games are being played 6 days a week. Mind you, the amount of games hasn't increased, just the days they are played.
This is regional. In SW Ohio JH has played Tuesdays for 20 years with Wednesdays occasionally. Sometimes even Thursday.

For the last 3 games vs Milford for us we have had the same refs. Every game the refs made really bad calls. It was like they wanted Milford to win. Then when you look at Milford's bench at halftime the refs are sitting on the their bench talking with the coaches. Hmmm. That is unusual behavior. Also someone needs to tell Milford that having the chain gang on the their home side is a little suspicious.
Refs have to be approved by both teams. If the coaching staff of the opposing team has a problem with the refs Milford is using, why do they keep allowing them back?

Monday - extremely rare
Tuesday - very rare
Friday - Varsity

Overall, in sports, the amount of games HAS increased. Maybe not at the Junior High & High School level, but since many officials do multiple sports, I've noticed there are more non-scholastic baseball/softball/soccer/volleyball/etc. going on in addition to the other school related sports. That means some officials remain with the school-related sports, but some choose to move away from those to take travel type games, etc.

This also impacts (in some areas) the amount of players teams have in some sports. Small schools are hurt by kids choosing not to play that season's sport to go play a local travel or non-school related sport during the same season.

Just being at my 6 year olds soccer games I can certainly believe that. Anytime one of these kids falls down bc of contact or trips over an opponents legs, said parents start hollering, my wife (a life long soccer player) included. Thankfully our leagues officials have the patience to talk to the fans about what’s going on while not stopping play. In my limited experience I’d say soccer parents are the worst.
There is part of the problem. The refs feel they need to justify what they are doing. Just ignore the parents and move on
Refs have to be approved by both teams. If the coaching staff of the opposing team has a problem with the refs Milford is using, why do they keep allowing them back?
Yeah I don't think that is true. Because it seems like we get the same bad refs every week.

Overall, in sports, the amount of games HAS increased. Maybe not at the Junior High & High School level, but since many officials do multiple sports, I've noticed there are more non-scholastic baseball/softball/soccer/volleyball/etc. going on in addition to the other school related sports. That means some officials remain with the school-related sports, but some choose to move away from those to take travel type games, etc.
It's been alleged that veteran officials take all the games and don't let the new officials have a chance. So either all the veteran officials work all those extra games (trust me, they all don't) or there simply aren't enough officials to go around. (trust me, there aren't).

Should be plenty of opportunity for all these officials who currently (somehow) can't get games, yes?
This also impacts (in some areas) the amount of players teams have in some sports. Small schools are hurt by kids choosing not to play that season's sport to go play a local travel or non-school related sport during the same season.
Not sure what that has to do with officiating, but soccer, with some national clubs and volleyball with the ever increasing popularity of sand volleyball at the collegiate level, are experiencing this right now.

For the last 3 games vs Milford for us we have had the same refs.
Not typical, but not unusual. If they are that bad, that (as been noted previously) is on your coach/AD. Those league games are assigned a year (and sometimes more) in advance of the season.
Every game the refs made really bad calls. It was like they wanted Milford to win. Then when you look at Milford's bench at halftime the refs are sitting on the their bench talking with the coaches. Hmmm. That is unusual behavior. Also someone needs to tell Milford that having the chain gang on the their home side is a little suspicious.
So now, not only is it the officials and the clock operator conspiring, it's the chain gang as well?

How come you haven't mentioned that in the last 4 years when your team played Milford, your team gave up 42, 34, and 34 points. In the game your team won, your team gave up only 20 points.

Hmmm..... ;)

The week to week uncertainty is garbage for the kids and coaches.

Heck, most of the time it's stated in the pregame public address announcement.
So, when does this approval of officials happen? I've never seen a head coach approve officials. I've seen plenty be pissed off because most of the crew are alums of the opposing team.

There is part of the problem. The refs feel they need to justify what they are doing. Just ignore the parents and move on

Yeah I don't think that is true. Because it seems like we get the same bad refs every week.
It’s true. OHSAA bylaws. Both schools have to agree to the officials assigned and can object at any time before game begins. Once the game begins, they cannot object to the officials assigned. If your school has the same crappy officials every game/year, blame your school for not doing their job in regards to the selection of officials.

It’s true. OHSAA bylaws. Both schools have to agree to the officials assigned and can object at any time before game begins. Once the game begins, they cannot object to the officials assigned. If your school has the same crappy officials every game/year, blame your school for not doing their job in regards to the selection of officials.
Great to know.