Obi-Wan Kenobi Series

This series looks interesting. I like trailers of Science Fiction movies/series that don't disclose much plot but dazzle with scenery & special effects.

Yeah, maybe if they'd done that. Large vista and some gravitas instead of all the close up, rapid scene cuts with no shine. I actually got tired of hearing Skarsgard's voice and I like the actor.

They seemed purposely to avoid scenes with the title character. I suppose there was a reasoning behind that choice. Perhaps plot giveaways as you say.

Mon Motha the only legacy character with a new actor I noticed. Any others?

Yeah, maybe if they'd done that. Large vista and some gravitas instead of all the close up, rapid scene cuts with no shine. I actually got tired of hearing Skarsgard's voice and I like the actor.

They seemed purposely to avoid scenes with the title character. I suppose there was a reasoning behind that choice. Perhaps plot giveaways as you say.

Mon Motha the only legacy character with a new actor I noticed. Any others?

I think Andor is in a lot of that trailer. More than the first trailer IMO. I also think they want to make it clear that, even though he's the title character, the show will cover a lot more than just him. Mon Mothma is also essentially a lead character and the show will follow the fall of the Imperial Senate..

As for the Mon Mothma actress, it's a different actress from the one in Return of the Jedi, but the same actress who played the role in Rogue One and also was originally in Revenge of the Sith before her scenes got cut.

As for other characters, Forest Whitaker reprises his role from Rogue One as well and I'd be shocked if we don't see Jimmy Smits' Bail Organa character show up at some point, and maybe even a teenage Leia. I also think we may see Roken (Oshea Jackson Jr) and Haja (Kumail Nanjiani)'s characters from the Obi-Wan show back up as well. A young Ahsoka is also possible, though unlikely, since she plays a part in the start of the rebellion. Galen Erso (the designer of the Death Star) from Rogue One is also a possibility.

Timeline wise this show takes place about 4-5 years after the Obi-Wan series and 5 years before the events of Rogue One/A New Hope.

It is 24 episodes, divided into two seasons. Anyone else think that could be a bit too much for one character and storyline? I’m sure as PantherProud mentioned, a ton of cameos, but I’m a bit worried it will be too long. And I guess we need a separate Andor thread haha.

It is 24 episodes, divided into two seasons. Anyone else think that could be a bit too much for one character and storyline? I’m sure as PantherProud mentioned, a ton of cameos, but I’m a bit worried it will be too long. And I guess we need a separate Andor thread haha.

A bit much for just Andor alone, I'd agree with. But it will heavily delve into the fall of the Senate as well.

I think they should have named it something else to make that more clear to the general audience. Something like "Rise of the Rebellion"

I think they should have named it something else to make that more clear to the general audience. Something like "Rise of the Rebellion"
Not a bad idea, but probably a little too close to the Rise of the Resistance attraction at Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

One of the problems with the Star Wars and MCU series on Disney+ is the episodes are way too short, most clock in at less than 30 minutes after you take out the previously on recaps and long credit sequences; these are what can be considered glorified acts at best in story telling language. It use to be that streaming services wanted to hook you in in by releasing all episodes in one big block and you binge watch, now they are back to episodic TV where they kick things off with a big event that eithers pick up from a cliff hanger or starts off a new story line; then a bunch of filler or one off bottle episodes to move things along until the big finish. This way you have subscribers needing to stay on board or wait until all are finished so they can binge watch during a free preview.

yeah, it seems bit much. way too much actually.

yeah, it seems bit much. way too much actually.

I think how they are doing it will be interesting.

Season 1 will encompass 1 year worth of story.

Then in Season 2, they've broken the season up into 4 3-episode blocks. Each 3-episode block will encompass 1 year worth of story with a time jump after episodes 3, 6 and 9.

So the 2 seasons as a whole will encompass the entire 5 year period leading up to Rogue One/A New Hope.

I think how they are doing it will be interesting.

Season 1 will encompass 1 year worth of story.

Then in Season 2, they've broken the season up into 4 3-episode blocks. Each 3-episode block will encompass 1 year worth of story with a time jump after episodes 3, 6 and 9.

So the 2 seasons as a whole will encompass the entire 5 year period leading up to Rogue One/A New Hope.
If it is like what we saw with Kenobi/Fett, where they show as much, or more, of the other events in the universe then I think many of us will be happy but if they have too much on that character then I think it will piss people off.

Andor is the young fan fav I suppose. Unless they do more showing the standard characters growing up, they have to get new people on board to be sustainable. Even Andor is a bit old. Seems like all the other leads are even older farts so Andor wins I guess. They introduce a new character (Skarsgard) into canon and again, old fart who had no appearances in the movies.. Doomed?

I presume they measured fandom to see this is what they want, filler. Im not sure why they're going slow on moving ahead, outer reaches or I know there has long been clamor for even a longer time to go, more where it all came from canon. To me this is all channel flipping until I see an HK-47.

Last edited:
Andor is the young fan fav. Many of the others old farts so Andor wins I guess. They introduce a new character (Skarsgard) into canon and again, old fart who had no appearances in the movies.. Doomed?

Ironically, I'd argue that Andor was one of the least liked characters in Rogue One.

Every time some of us on the right complain about these TV series going woke and injecting themselves into the political divide we're laughed at. So what are we to make of this?

Andor actress Fiona Shaw made it abundantly clear that the upcoming Star Wars series will be a political commentary on Donald Trump rather than a Star Wars adventure.

Shaw, who plays a character named Maarva, spoke with Empire about the upcoming series telling them, “Tony [Gilroy] has written a great, scurrilous [take] on the Trumpian world.”

“Our world is exploding in different places right now, people’s rights are disappearing, and Andor reflects that. [In the show] the Empire is taking over, and it feels like the same thing is happening in reality, too,” she explained.

So Trump & MAGA are the real world equivalents of the Empire? Come on man!

Every time some of us on the right complain about these TV series going woke and injecting themselves into the political divide we're laughed at. So what are we to make of this?

Andor actress Fiona Shaw made it abundantly clear that the upcoming Star Wars series will be a political commentary on Donald Trump rather than a Star Wars adventure.

Shaw, who plays a character named Maarva, spoke with Empire about the upcoming series telling them, “Tony [Gilroy] has written a great, scurrilous [take] on the Trumpian world.”

“Our world is exploding in different places right now, people’s rights are disappearing, and Andor reflects that. [In the show] the Empire is taking over, and it feels like the same thing is happening in reality, too,” she explained.

That's not "woke." Agree with it. Don't agree with it. It's a different category of butt-hurt. Political divide Ill give you on this. Sci-fi has always been social and political commentary so, ha ha? Some others of us on the right aren't disturbed by shows simply because they have girls in them doing things.

In this case, it's unlikely they needed to steer at all off Star Wars canon to reflect how the left and even some in the middle ground view Trump and MAGA. The whole premise of Star Wars is a rebellion against fascist, homogenous oppressors.

If we see assassin droids depicted with orange comb-over pompadours, I might agree with you, they're inventing canon for a political point.

Last edited:
That's not "woke." Agree with it. Don't agree with it. It's a different category of butt-hurt. Political divide Ill give you on this. Sci-fi has always been social and political commentary so, ha ha? Some others of us on the right aren't disturbed by shows simply because they have girls in them doing things.

In this case, it's unlikely they needed to steer at all off Star Wars canon to reflect how the left and even some in the middle ground view Trump and MAGA. The whole premise of Star Wars is a rebellion against fascist, homogenous oppressors.
Why make a Star Wars series from the POV of the left? It doesn't make commercial or artistic sense.

You claim that this isn't about going "woke". I disagree. When the writers, producers & directors are all left wing and work a bias against Trump & his supporters into the show it's just the tip of the iceberg. These same people believe in woke concepts and wherever possible they'll inject that thinking into the story's.

And for the record the idea that the "whole premise of Star Wars is a rebellion against fascist, homogeneous oppressors" is flat out wrong. They are simply the bad guys that the archetypal hero has to overcome in his epic quest. Joseph Campbell described it all years before the original Star Wars movie ever hit the screen.

"bad guys?" That shallow huh?

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, Yeah, non of that going on in Star Wars. smh
Why make a Star Wars series from the POV of the left? It doesn't make commercial or artistic sense.
It's from the POV of a rebellion against fascists. If that's culturally considered the POV of the left then it is what it is.

Deny the statement: a large component of serious sci - fi is to challenge the social, economic, political status. That is its raison d'etre. It is by design introspective.

Last edited:
"bad guys?" That shallow huh?

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, Yeah, non of that going on in Star Wars. smh

It's from the POV of a rebellion against fascists. If that's culturally considered the POV of the left then it is what it is.

Deny the statement: a large component of serious sci - fi is to challenge the social, economic, political status. That is its raison d'etre. It is by design introspective.
Fascists, imperialists, totalitarians, communists, satanists or dragons it's really about a rebellion against EVIL. The dark side of the force is not so small & limited in it's frightening power as to merely be fascism.

And why would the "far right" be any more deadly then the "far left" unless of course you're of the far left. Evil encompasses both and more. The Star Wars story is about a fundamental battle between good & evil not a take on ideological differences.

Fascists, imperialists, totalitarians, communists, satanists or dragons it's really about a rebellion against EVIL. The dark side of the force is not so small & limited in it's frightening power as to merely be fascism.

And why would the "far right" be any more deadly then the "far left" unless of course you're of the far left. Evil encompasses both and more. The Star Wars story is about a fundamental battle between good & evil not a take on ideological differences.

There are no committees in power here. One guy. Fascist. Order 66. First Order. These things ringing a bell to you at all.

If the actress is finding corollaries between Star Wars and Trump, well that's what sci-fi does. The left interprets him as fascist. No surprises here. Stop being slow. She not here to give your perspective. She's giving hers. If that bothers you so, don't watch. Or you are perfectly free to watch with the presumption it is the left that is being depicted as, if you prefer, "evil." If you are watching it and seeing corrolaries between the plot and Trump then, lol. The left thanks you for your support.

I tend to stay away from politics as much as possible, though I do like when movies and TV's touch on real world topics to an extent. I can see where going after one singular person can be overboard and in poor taste though, and hopefully they keep this more broad and not too "on the nose" related to Trump himself. It's also incredibly stupid it to admit it publicly and potentially alienate part of your audience before the show even airs.

I'd say to an extent that most people enjoy a movie that has "something to say" and only take exception when it says something they don't like. Not suggesting that's what you're doing here, but more saying that it's good that there's something that's thought provoking (whether you agree with what they have to say or not) and we aren't going to just get some mindless action show. A good example would be Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Easily could have been just a straight forward comic book movie, but they delve into government oversight and government overreaching, and the topic of doing bad things for the right reason, and if that's justified and at what cost does it come. As a result it's almost universally considered one of Marvel's best movies.

I'm far from an expert on the history of Star Wars, but didn't George Lucas make it in part as a commentary on the Vietnam War? Star Wars has always been a little political to my knowledge. I don't see the issue in doing it in Andor as long as they don't take it too far and too pointed at anyone in specific.

There are no committees in power here. One guy. Fascist. Order 66. First Order. These things ringing a bell to you at all.
Communism doesn't need "committees" to spawn evil dictators. Joe Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot come to mind off the top of my head.

It's interesting that you point to the "right" & "fascism" as the source of Star Wars evil. Why not the left? Or why not an Empire? The Empire that Lucas shows us in the first Star Wars movie is clearly patterned on the great empires of the past mst notably the Roman Empire.

When Lucas wrote & directed the original he staged a classic Joseph Campbell tale of good versus evil. His farm boy protagonist was a classic character from Western myth making. In fact Star Wars is a deeply "Western" (European) film with a dash of Eastern mysticism thrown in.

It's annoying that those twisting the Star Wars universe to fit their definition of what matters in modern culture come from a place of hating European or Western civilization.

I disagree that it's a "large component". In my experience of reading a lot of Science Fiction the biggest component is a detailed and imaginative description of the future combined with an interesting & entertaining story.

The original Star Trek and to a lesser extent Next Generation delved into the cultural waters. But even here it was less then 10% of their story lines.

For sure 1984, Animal Farm, A Brave New World, Star Ship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land, A Canticle for Leibowitz, On the Beach, The Andromeda Strain and Alas Babylon focus on challenging our cultural status. And a lot of science fiction may have snippets of this though it's hardly at the center of the story.