OATCCC Rankings

Seems to be pretty much right off of Milesplit team rankings for returners, as flawed as that can be. D1 boys, anyway. A fair number of teams are ranked that didn't get out of regionals last year.

D1 Girls race at early season invite is loaded according to the OATCC rankings should be fun one. All the ranking will sort themselves out as they always do.

New rankings should be out today but not sure much could have changed after the Preseason meet and a hand full of meets to start the week.
Any big meets to keep an eye on this weekend?
I know up North we have Riverside under the lights, Kenston, Billy Goat, Claymont, Salem, Seneca East, Solon, GlenOak.

New rankings should be out today but not sure much could have changed after the Preseason meet and a hand full of meets to start the week.
I know up North we have Riverside under the lights, Kenston, Billy Goat, Claymont, Salem, Seneca East, Solon, GlenOak.
At Pickerington North... Coffman, Kilbourne, Jerome, Westerville N, and Pick N, among others. Should be a battle up front.

Rankings are out, Mason boys and girls at #1. Springboro boys got a first place vote, the Moeller Invitational will be one to watch tomorrow. Lots of good individuals on the boys side with Agnew, Allwein, Rudraraju and Trapp, and #3 Springboro will match up with #2 St. X in the team race. Mason will be there too but it looks like they’re not running any of their top guys, their highest seeded runner is at 17:00.

Am I missing something about the current rankings of the Medina, Thomas Worthington or Dublin Jerome boys teams? There were a good number of teams who finished well ahead of these three at the preseason meet - esp Medina, who finished 23rd (!) in that meet, but is now ranked 10th in the state (!). Huh? Also...

Dublin Jerome was 12th - behind Kilbourne, Rocky River, Nordonia, and Lakota East. Yet, they're ranked ahead of all of these teams at #18.

Thomas Worthington's boys were 21st - WELL behind Boardman, Olentangy, Lakota E, and Nordonia. Yet, they're ranked ahead of all of these teams at #23.

What gives? I don't notice any of these teams missing significant returners from last year either, or have people out due to injury, etc.

Are voters actually looking at results? I mean, we're only talking a few meets at this point in the season. It doesn't take a long time to do this. If not considering results, you're just making a mockery out of the whole thing.

Either vote and do it right, or maybe don't vote at all. I know things will sort out over time, but these egregious oversights are, well, egregious.

C'mon people.

Are voters actually looking at results?
Well Solon went from unranked in the preseason poll to 8th currently after finishing 3rd at the Early Season Invite, so at least some voters are looking at results. But it certainly doesn't look like there's a lot of consistency based on your examples.

Well Solon went from unranked in the preseason poll to 8th currently after finishing 3rd at the Early Season Invite, so at least some voters are looking at results. But it certainly doesn't look like there's a lot of consistency based on your examples.
Correct & rightfully so - Solon ran really well and got rewarded. And, Howell looked strong with that charge he made late in the race to finish 6th. He almost caught Gianni.

I just yearn for more of the same attention top to bottom in the rankings. Seems like there's a lot of "ah these guys are usually good" going on. It's lazy.

Correct & rightfully so - Solon ran really well and got rewarded. And, Howell looked strong with that charge he made late in the race to finish 6th. He almost caught Gianni.

I just yearn for more of the same attention top to bottom in the rankings. Seems like there's a lot of "ah these guys are usually good" going on. It's lazy.
Did any of the teams split their teams into two different races? I do not go in too deep for D1 or D3, but could it be that a Medina ran some varsity guys in the open race and if you combine them, they are much better than their actual team place?

Springboro narrowly beats St. Xavier at Moeller.

I was impressed with them last week, but they look like a serious contender now.

Although, I’m not sure X ran everyone.

Did any of the teams split their teams into two different races? I do not go in too deep for D1 or D3, but could it be that a Medina ran some varsity guys in the open race and if you combine them, they are much better than their actual team place?
Medina won at GlenOak this morning, maybe the voters deserve more credit than we gave them. They returned a lot from last year’s team and I thought they’d be pretty good, I didn’t look to see who they ran last weekend but now that I checked it out it was their JV.

Springboro will be at least #2 based on their win last night, it looks like St. X ran their full team or something pretty close to it. Some similarities to Lakota West 2020 although I think they’re probably a notch below Mason.

Medina won at GlenOak this morning, maybe the voters deserve more credit than we gave them. They returned a lot from last year’s team and I thought they’d be pretty good, I didn’t look to see who they ran last weekend but now that I checked it out it was their JV.

Springboro will be at least #2 based on their win last night, it looks like St. X ran their full team or something pretty close to it. Some similarities to Lakota West 2020 although I think they’re probably a notch below Mason.
Thanks for the Intel on Medina. That's what I was missing on them. Results from Pick N:

Wheeling Park (WV) - 144
Westerville North - 146
Gahanna Lincoln - 158
Desales - 166
D. Coffman - 173
W. Kilbourne - 185
D. Jerome - 187
D. Scioto - 192
Pick North - 203
Olentangy - 240?

Depth rules the day. Coffman's top guys looked tired and off a bit (Liam S won this race a year ago and was 5th at state. He won't often be out of the top 5 at Invites). They're likely training through this one, I guess. Gahanna and W. North have solid 3-7 guys within 20-30 seconds of each other. Kilbourne is the best by far 1-2-3, then a healthy gap to their 4 & 5. Pretty close between all these teams, really.

Toss in O. Orange, Lancaster, and Davidson with these groups and you have a D1 Region 3 team race that will be incredibly exciting and tight this year with no breakaway front runner.

Last edited:
Some similarities to Lakota West 2020
I was thinking the same thing. They have a lot of determination, desire and maturity.
While Mason looks good on paper, it will be interesting to see how they race through the entire. With High School boys anything can happen from one year to the next with injuries, covid, motivation, complaciency, etc.

It’s entirely impossible for Marlington to be the best team in Division 1.

It’s entirely possible for Marlington to be better than all of the Division 1 teams.
Haha, I see what you did there.

No idea how they're doing it, but it's fun to watch after having seen where the program was 5 years ago.

Kudos to the Riverside staff and Coach Weber on putting on a GREAT event last night. A cannon start to the varsity races, fireworks as the kids entered the stadium in the first half mile, Christmas lights lining most if not all the course, finish on the football field under stadium lights, etc. Not to mention 10 food trucks on site!! This event has quickly grown into one of the go to events on teams schedule. I believe there was up to 10 teams who came in from PA for the race.

Springboro placed 14th at State last year and had a tight 1-5.

Lakota West didn't even qualify to state as a team in 2019.

There are some similarities, to be sure, but it's not surprising that Springboro has a solid squad.
Lakota West shocked everybody in 2020. How many teams have won a D1 state title and not even qualified for State the year before? That has to be a short list.

Must be a really fast course lots of PR's in that race.
The conditions were ripe for running fast. The sun was down, the course is firm and relatively flat, etc.

My gut says there's something not quite right when I look at their splits. There were a top of the very top runners in the regional, if not the state. Going out in 4:43 and then slowing by 0:30/mi is not something I would typically expect of that caliber of runner unless there was a major hill the 2nd mile. I suspect either the starting line changed or the mile mark wasn't in the right place - the first mile was short, or the 2nd mile was long.

Kudos to the Riverside program for creating a great event!

The conditions were ripe for running fast. The sun was down, the course is firm and relatively flat, etc.

My gut says there's something not quite right when I look at their splits. There were a top of the very top runners in the regional, if not the state. Going out in 4:43 and then slowing by 0:30/mi is not something I would typically expect of that caliber of runner unless there was a major hill the 2nd mile. I suspect either the starting line changed or the mile mark wasn't in the right place - the first mile was short, or the 2nd mile was long.

Kudos to the Riverside program for creating a great event!
Mile 1: completely wide open with 400m on the track
Mile 2: about 5 sharp turns, almost U-turns, that slow them down

Mile 1: completely wide open with 400m on the track
Mile 2: about 5 sharp turns, almost U-turns, that slow them down
The dry summer made the course a race track with short grass. Add in about 6,500 people in attendance with cool temperatures and the fast times happened. Not sure what else to say... I wheeled the course about 10 times the last 2 years (same course as last year). Unsure of my wheel, I measured 100 yards the other day on the football field and the wheel was dead on.
The wheel is in meters, but did the conversion to yards for the football field.