NWOAL Pick'em Contest Week 3

Streaks are legit. Wow. I wasn't sure that they would be able to stand up to LCs physical play. They met and exceeded expectations. Wauseon may be able to match athletes with them to some extent, but I'm not sure that they can keep up for 4 quarters.
Archbold verified their state ranking with that performance.
It would be great if multiple local teams could make deep playoff runs.
Go NWOAL and NW Ohio!

What Newman is doing this year with the cast he has around him is incredible. It is hard to play pass defense for 5-6 seconds with an elusive dual threat QB who can take off or last second chuck it 40 yards downfield with ease.

Dhsdog 15-1
ohiovstw419 15-1
Neversaynever 14-2
Chipshot 13-3
det1var 13-3
Rolly67 12-4
Iroquois 10-2
Birddog10 8-0
Fayette79 7-5
lickingCF 5-3

Last edited:
Week 6:
Archbold (5-0) @ Delta (3-2)
Bryan (3-2) @ Patrick Henry (4-1)
Liberty Center (3-2)
@ Swanton (0-5)
Wauseon (3-2) @ Evergreen (2-3)

Archbold (5-0) @ Delta (3-2)
Bryan (3-2) @ Patrick Henry (4-1)
Liberty Center (3-2)
@ Swanton (0-5)
Wauseon (3-2) @ Evergreen (2-3)

Archbold (5-0) @ Delta (3-2) - can the Panthers keep it close? I don't think so.....Streaks by 4 TD's
Bryan (3-2) @ Patrick Henry (4-1) - if the game was at Bryan, I'd pick the mild upset but going with Patriots in a close one
Liberty Center (3-2) @ Swanton (0-5) - Tigers win easy
Wauseon (3-2) @ Evergreen (2-3) - Indians win easy

How many NWOAL schools are playing a freshmen schedule this fall?

Is it just Archbold, Liberty Center, and Wauseon?

it appears to be just those three, I think a couple others were going to try to put together a team for a few games by bringing down a few sophomores. In the junior high, Swanton and Archbold have barely enough for two teams and Bryan is a combined 7th/8th.

That is sad news...Bryan has a combined Jr High Team...biggest team in the league...wow!

I am a little surprised by low numbers with Archbold but not Swanton.

That is sad news...Bryan has a combined Jr High Team...biggest team in the league...wow!

I am a little surprised by low numbers with Archbold but not Swanton.
Bryan has 5/6 tackle football as well. They have about 35 kids between both of those grades with the majority being 5th graders. Some of the kids are burnt out before they even get to JH.

Bryan has 5/6 tackle football as well. They have about 35 kids between both of those grades with the majority being 5th graders. Some of the kids are burnt out before they even get to JH.
It sure does explain a lot when the 5th/6th grade team have more than the Junior high teams. So glad Archbold doesn’t have that crap

It sure does explain a lot when the 5th/6th grade team have more than the Junior high teams. So glad Archbold doesn’t have that crap

Eh, I'd expect the 5th and 6th grade teams to have more. Always going to have those kids that start playing because their friends do, or because dad wants them to give it a shot, or just thinking they'll like it before realizing they don't like it/aren't good. Injuries happen and scare kids. In places where there's a little league/middle school football, it's a fact if life you're going to lose a fair number between 5th and 6th and then more between 6th and 7th.

The problem is when a healthy, robust 5th/6th system is giving you numbers that aren't enough to field a team. Clearly there's an issue there, liking in coaching quality whether in 5th/6th or in 7th.

Personally I think 5th grade is too early for tackle football anyway, but Bryan having Jr High numbers problems LIKELY isn't because they have it. It's more likely just not a well run organization.

Hansbarger Field has a literal moat around it, expect that game to be moved to the turf at Liberty

Edit: Game is at Liberty and is treated like a Home game for Swanton as far as the gate-no LC passes will be honored.

Last edited:
Hansberger Field has a literal moat around it, expect that game to be moved to the turf at Liberty
That's too bad...although...if Swanton moves the game to LC and gets even 50% of the gate it will be more than if it were at Hansbarger Field. I like Hansbarger Field, one of the little crown jewels of NW Ohio stadiums.

858F1CD0-C818-496B-9AF5-08A3D5E18D7E.jpeg

Archbold (5-0) @ Delta (3-2) - Streaks by a bunch
Bryan (3-2) @ Patrick Henry (4-1) -It's a must win for the the Bears. I don't think they make the top 16 without a win here. I don't see them beating LC or Wauseon.
Liberty Center (3-2) @ Swanton (0-5) - Tigers run for 400+
Wauseon (3-2) @ Evergreen (2-3) - Indians win big

My record is incorrect. I am at 14-2. I won't pick against the Streaks again.

John Downey picked Bryan over Patrick Henry this morning. He said they were physical and if they can find a way to slow down the 5 wide from PH they could win a low scoring game.

John Downey picked Bryan over Patrick Henry this morning. He said they were physical and if they can find a way to slow down the 5 wide from PH they could win a low scoring game.
Downey or Fryman? I haven't heard Downey on the radio in a while.

Archbold (5-0) @ Delta (3-2) - No one beating the Streaks this year. Thought that Wauseon or LC might give them a game but after last week they will not be touched (barring a major choke job). And with a very mediocre R22 it looks like the region is theirs to lose.
Bryan (3-2) @ Patrick Henry (4-1) -Easily the most interesting game of the week. Bryan has very good size and more experience than PH but with Coach I at home, I'll take the Patriots by a score.
Liberty Center (3-2) @ Swanton (0-5) - Running clock #1
Wauseon (3-2) @ Evergreen (2-3) - Running clock #2

Downey, Fryman was not there this morning. Downey does play by play for the Archbold games on 96.1
I figured he did but haven't been listening to games lately. Hell, I barely even listen to Defiance games anymore. I guess I was referring to the Friday morning shows. Buckeye Breakfast is tremendous but Prognosticators hasn't been the same without Larry and I'm getting tired of it.

Finals
Archbold 42, Delta 3
Liberty Center 54, Swanton 0
Patrick Henry 28, Bryan 14
Wauseon 47 Evergreen 7

Dhsdog 19-1
ohiovstw419 18-2
Neversaynever 17-3
Chipshot 17-3
det1var 17-3
Rolly67 16-4
Birddog10 12-0
Fayette79 11-5
Iroquois 10-2
lickingCF 5-3

Delta @ Swanton
Patrick Henry @ Wauseon
Evergreen @ Archbold
Bryan @ Liberty Center

Delta should get back on track and run the ball well against Swanton.
Archbold rolls
LC has struggled with Bryan in the past-should be a physical game
Last time PH was at Wauseon it was an overtime thriller.