NWCA ALL STAR CLASSIC

MPhillips

No one has mentioned this yet. Hard to ask for better match ups. 184 is one I'm looking forward to.

NWCA All Star Classic
November 22nd in Austin, TX

125: Pat McKee (Minnesota) vs Brandon Courtney (Arizona State)
133: Lucas Byrd (Illinois) vs Michael McGee (Arizona State)

141: Cole Matthews (Pittsburgh) vs Real Woods (Iowa)
149: Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) vs Austin Gomez (Wisconsin)

157 Jacori Teemer (Arizona State) vs Will Lewan (Michigan)
165: Dean Hamiti Jr. (Wisconsin) vs Keegan O’Toole (Missouri)

165: David Carr (Iowa State) vs Quincy Monday (Princeton)
174: Carter Starocci (Penn State) vs Mekhi Lewis (Virginia Tech)

184: Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)
197: Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming)

285: Anthony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State)

Women’s Matches

143: Adaugo Nwachukwu (Iowa Wesleyan) vs Alara Boyd (McKendree)
191: Gabrielle Hamilton (Life) vs Sydnee Kimber (McKendree)

Love the matchups, quite a comeback for this event. Seems kinda late in the year though? Seem to remember previous events being before the season started
Been four years maybe? Anywhere from Sept. to Nov. in the past.
Hope everyone wrestles. Sasso has Sherman (UNC) two days before.

Last edited:
125: Pat McKee (Minnesota) vs Kysen Terukina (Iowa State)
McKee. Courtney hasn't wrestled yet.

Byrd. Because he's an Ohio guy. McGee is a very good wrestler. 3x AA.

Woods. If he wrestles...

Gomez. Sammy will be better later.

157: Bryce Andonian (Virginia Tech) vs Will Lewan (Michigan)
Andonian

165:
Dean Hamiti Jr. (Wisconsin) vs Keegan O’Toole (Missouri)
O'Toole. He's just solid.

Carr. If it was Kenny Monday I'd pick him. :)

Starocci. I can't pick against him, even if it is Mekhi.

Keckeisen. I just like him. More than I like PSU.

197: Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming)
Warner. I'm picking him all season no matter who he wrestles.

Cassioppi.

Get your picks in.

Last edited:
Bout Order w/replacements.

191: Kelani Corbett (Missouri Valley) vs Sydnee Kimber (McKendree)

170: Yelena Makoyed (North Central) vs Jessie Lee (Life)

165: Dean Hamiti Jr. (Wisconsin) vs Keegan O'Toole (Missouri)

109: Peyton Prussin (Life) vs Emily Shilson (Augsburg)

197: Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs Rocky Elam (Missouri)

Very realistic! I like your picks Mike.

WrestlingGuy285 said:
Iirc, technically NWCA All-Star is an exhibition matchup and has no bearing on the overall record of either wrestler competing. I'm sure rankings will shift afterwards, but records will officially stay the same
Yeah, it's hard to "unsee" it. I remember (I think a PSU guy) griping a while back about an All-Star loss costing him the #1 seed in NCAAs. I thinbk he was the defending champ and that was his only loss. The other guy might have been a former (not defending) NCAA champ. And I have no idea who won at NCAAs but based on PSU history at NCAAs, probably their guy.

Note: I posted this on another thread but thought I'd post it here as well.

bdhof said:
Yeah, it's hard to "unsee" it. I remember (I think a PSU guy) griping a while back about an All-Star loss costing him the #1 seed in NCAAs. I thinbk he was the defending champ and that was his only loss. The other guy might have been a former (not defending) NCAA champ. And I have no idea who won at NCAAs but based on PSU history at NCAAs, probably their guy.
After a little research...
Zahid Valencia lost to Mark Hall in the 2017 NCAAs (semis 4-3). Then Zahid beat Hall in the 2017 All Star meet that following November (3-2). Valencia got the #1 seed and beat Hall in NCAAs 8-2. Hall did have a loss on his record,* so I'm not sure where that came from as the All Star meet is exhibition.

*The loss was Hall's loss to Zahid in the NCAA finals. They were both undefeated going into NCAAs and Zahid's win at the AS meet got him the #1 seed at NCAAs. I think that prompted Cael to ban the AS meet (maybe I'm just making that up 🤣 ) and may have influenced it's cancelation for a while.

Note: Also posted on the other thread.

:)
1669073916049.png

Bout order has been changed...

I'll post a couple updates- for the first couple matches at least

125- Pat McKee pin over Kysen Terukina. TD in first, nice pin for McKee in the second.
133- Cincinnati kid Lucas Byrd wins 3-2 over McGee. Nice scramble to avoid a TD at the end of 2nd
157- Will Lewan holds Bryce Andonian to a lone point in the 3-1 win.
197- Rocky Elam in OT over Jacob Warner 8-6. I'm super high on Elam, really think he has a shot at a title
285- Kerkvliet finally beats Cassioppi 8-5. Controlled ties much better, another Penn State star

Last edited:
I'll post a couple updates- for the first couple matches at least

125- Pat McKee pin over Kysen Terukina. TD in first, nice pin for McKee in the second.
133- Cincinnati kid Lucas Byrd wins 3-2 over McGee. Nice scramble to avoid a TD at the end of 2nd
157- Will Lewan holds Bryce Andonian to a lone point in the 3-1 win.
197- Rocky Elam in OT over Jacob Warner 8-6. I'm super high on Elam, really think he has a shot at a title. Elam looked great. Three TD's on Warner.
285- Kerkvliet finally beats Cassioppi 8-5. Controlled ties much better, another Penn State star
Thanks Yank.
184 Brooks over Keikeisen 12-8. Brooks looked great. Kekeisen kept coming
143 Nwachukwu handles Boyd
109: Prussin loses to Shilson 8-4
141 Allirez 4-2 over Mathews SV
165 Carr 2-1 over Monday. RT point. Good solid match by both. Monday is going to 57, he's going to be a big for the weight.
165 O'Toole over Hamiti 7-1 2:42 RT. Hamiti got in on one shot. O'Toole is so solid.
149 Sasso loses 10-9 to Gomez. Gomez had 4 TD's in the 3rd. Great match.
174 Lewis loses to Starocci 2-0. Starocci rides Lewis out in 3rd. Impressive ride.

Last edited:
174 Lewis loses to Starocci 2-0. Starocci rides Lewis out in 3rd. Impressive ride.
This is the most impressive result for me. 2-0 over a 2x finalist and U20 world champ is amazing. Starocci, somehow, might be the best of the recent Penn State guys, which nobody would have predicted three years ago

RIP Chance, a great guy and a dang fine wrestler.
I think you meant Chase?

First time I had been to state tournament finals in Michigan at the Palace was 2002. I went to watch Andy Simmons finish out his career as an undefeated 4X state champ in Div. II after reading about him in the paper (back when people actually had the newpaper delivered to their house) That was also when I first heard of a freshman 130lb'er named Brent Metcalf. He was something like 55-0 going into the finals when he won his 1st of 4 championships. His brother Chase wrestled next at 135. He was going for his second or third championship - and had the exact same record as Brent at 55-0. He won with a pin. The Palace was about 3 miles from my house "as the crow flies" but about 6 miles to actually get there. I saw all 4 of Brent's championships in his undefeated HS career that started with Andy Simmons doing the same when he was finishing his career in 2002.

Three years later as Brent goes for #4, Chase was in his corner as an assistant coach at Davidson after leaving the UM wrestling team a year or two earlier. During Brent's match, Chase had an epileptic seizure. I didn't see what happened and only learned about it the next day from reading the paper. Brent was either told what happened during the match - or he saw what happened. After his arm was raised for the win, he took off on a sprint toward the locker rooms. Chase was fine. I had heard later on that it was one of the reasons why he stopped wrestling in college - but I don't know if that was true. I do remember Brent was nearly pinned in the first period. Possibly was distracted?

By the end of the summer that same year in 2005, when Brent was off to Virginia Tech as a freshman, is when Chase died in car crash not far from the family home. Chase was by himself. I never heard the cause of the crash - if he had fallen asleep at the wheel or if he had another seizure while driving, but it was tragic nonetheless. He was 21 years old at the time. He had been working with Mark Hall - and that picture is one I had seen before when Hall became prominent as a true freshman NCAA champ over Bo Jordan in the finals. I first saw Hall wrestle as a 6th grader against Brascetta at the GMVWA. I only knew he was a 6th grader by overhearing someone near me say that. I had to ask if I heard what he said correctly. He confirmed it and gave some history about Hall. And mentioned Chase Metcalf. And growing up in Davidson - which is about 25 miles from me. It was surreal. And I remembered all that from the picture attached in the prior comment. Long term memory still excellent. Short term - nope.

Last edited:
I think you meant Chase?

First time I had been to state tournament finals in Michigan at the Palace was 2002. I went to watch Andy Simmons finish out his career as an undefeated 4X state champ in Div. II after reading about him in the paper (back when people actually had the newpaper delivered to their house) That was also when I first heard of a freshman 130lb'er named Brent Metcalf. He was something like 55-0 going into the finals when he won his 1st of 4 championships. His brother Chase wrestled next at 135. He was going for his second or third championship - and had the exact same record as Brent at 55-0. He won with a pin. The Palace was about 3 miles from my house "as the crow flies" but about 6 miles to actually get there. I saw all 4 of Brent's championships in his undefeated HS career that started with Andy Simmons doing the same when he was finishing his career in 2002.

Three years later as Brent goes for #4, Chase was in his corner as an assistant coach at Davidson after leaving the UM wrestling team a year or two earlier. During Brent's match, Chase had an epileptic seizure. I didn't see what happened and only learned about it the next day from reading the paper. Brent was either told what happened during the match - or he saw what happened. After his arm was raised for the win, he took off on a sprint toward the locker rooms. Chase was fine. I had heard later on that it was one of the reasons why he stopped wrestling in college - but I don't know if that was true. I do remember Brent was nearly pinned in the first period. Possibly was distracted?

By the end of the summer that same year in 2005, when Brent was off to Virginia Tech as a freshman, is when Chase died in car crash not far from the family home. Chase was by himself. I never heard the cause of the crash - if he had fallen asleep at the wheel or if he had another seizure while driving, but it was tragic nonetheless. He was 21 years old at the time. He had been working with Mark Hall - and that picture is one I had seen before when Hall became prominent as a true freshman NCAA champ over Bo Jordan in the finals. I first saw Hall wrestle as a 6th grader against Brascetta at the GMVWA. I only knew he was a 6th grader by overhearing someone near me say that. I had to ask if I heard what he said correctly. He confirmed it and gave some history about Hall. And mentioned Chase Metcalf. And growing up in Davidson - which is about 25 miles from me. It was surreal. And I remembered all that from the picture attached in the prior comment. Long term memory still excellent. Short term - nope.
Yes, Chase, darn autocorrect.

Thanks Yank.
184 Brooks over Keikeisen 12-8. Brooks looked great. Kekeisen kept coming
143 Nwachukwu handles Boyd
109: Prussin loses to Shilson 8-4
141 Allirez 4-2 over Mathews SV
165 Carr 2-1 over Monday. RT point. Good solid match by both. Monday is going to 57, he's going to be a big for the weight.
165 O'Toole over Hamiti 7-1 2:42 RT. Hamiti got in on one shot. O'Toole is so solid.
149 Sasso loses 10-9 to Gomez. Gomez had 4 TD's in the 3rd. Great match.
Car vs Monday is epic