November 3rd Ballot in Jackson

polar_purple

Jackson Local Board of Education
Barb Talley is not seeking re-election. Here are the four candidates for three open spots:

Kenneth J. Douglas*
James F. Giulitto
Kathryn Knowles
Thomas W. Winkhart*
*incumbent

We are reasonably familiar with the two incumbents, but what about the two new candidates, Knowles & Giulitto? Anyone care to share about them, their qualifications and desires for the JLSD?

Jackson Township Trustees
Both incumbents are back on the ballot. Here are the three candidates, vying for two open seats:

William M. Burger*
John E. Pizzino*
Fred Wallace
*incumbent

Again, we're familiar w/the two incumbents, but is anyone familiar with Mr. Wallace, his views/positions and qualifications?

Issues Facing Jackson Voters
#4 - Children Services Levy (renewal, 1.4 mills, begins 2010)
#5 - Repeal of County Sales Tax (0.5%)
#33 - Jackson Police Levy (renewal, 4.5 mills, 5 years, begins 2010)

Feel free to discuss. However, do note that we live in a reasonably small community, where these folks, their families and/or friends might be reading this. Thus, I strongly encourage polite conversation. And please do not post anything libelous, as we don't need yappi.com getting in trouble. Thanks!!!

Kathryn Knowles - she's a senior at Jackson HS
http://www.cantonrep.com/communitie...gh-School-senior-seeking-seat-on-school-board
“One of the first questions people ask is why do I want to serve on the school board. Well, our schools have no bigger impact on anyone in our community than the students; it just makes sense to have the student perspective on the board,” Knowles said in a news release.

“I think it is important to remember that our superintendent and administration are responsible for actually running the schools every day. And, there are five board members ... If elected, I would just be one of them.

“We are lucky to have a board with a wonderful balance of experience. We have attorneys, an accountant, businessman and a teacher; my candidacy is a great opportunity to directly include the student perspective.”

Knowles, the daughter of Mike and Chrissi McCormick, says she is active in cheerleading, Church of the Lakes Youth mission trips and volunteers her time with foster children. After graduation, she plans to attend college locally.

James Giulitto - according to a search of the Canton Rep, there is a "Jim Giulitto" on the Jackson Zoning Appeals Board, but I'm not 100% sure it's the same guy. That Mr. Giulitto was appointed by the trustees in 2002 (Rep search). Also per the Rep, a "Jim Giulitto" was the coach of a JYFA A-League championship team in 2008.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...&p_theme=gatehouse&s_site=RCOC&p_product=RCOC
Trustees also appointed Jim Giulitto to serve a five-year term on the Board of Zoning Appeals. Former board member James Hardy, whose term expired Dec. 31, was appointed to serve for one year as an alternate.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...&p_theme=gatehouse&s_site=RCOC&p_product=RCOC

Given the oft-discussed displeasure with the incumbents, I'd think any challenger for the school board would be viewed with favor.

Given the oft-discussed displeasure with the incumbents, I'd think any challenger for the school board would be viewed with favor.

It is time to put the "no incumbent" way of thinking in to practice across the board meaning all political positions. No more professional politicians.

Big O is not from Jackson, he just wants to stir the pot:stirthepot:

It is good to have some consistency on school boards. I vote for the incumbents.

Winners:

Jackson BOE: Ken Douglas, Tom Winkhart & Kathryn Knowles
Jackson Trustees: Bill Burger & John Pizzino
Children Services Levy: passed
Repeal of County Sales Tax: tax repealed
Jackson Police Levy: passed