Notre Dame

I hope it is Ludwig and not Leftwich.
If not Ludwig, then Sean Lewis is there remaining target. Some debate on if Colin Klein from K State was actually offered the job. I think Ludwig would be a better hire than him.

My only issue with Ludwig is his Offenses at Utah didn’t really stretch the field. ND’s identity is going to be run heavy but they still need Defenses to fear their ability to throw the ball deep, especially with Hartman at QB.

He’s been at Utah a while. Regardless, it’s the most pragmatic hire.
you have an odd definition of "awhile." As for pragmatic, if that means "breathing," OK but Ludwig isn't even particularly good at the job. Certainly not ND good.

Would certainly be an upgrade, and I'd think a pragmatic fit.

Ludwig has been an OC for nearly 30 years, and has been really good in his two stints at Utah. The Utes have had a defined identity (physical run game, efficient pass game) that I'd think would pair well to Notre Dame.

I'm not getting the "not particularly good" comment. Utah the last few years has been a top-20 college football offense while not necessarily having the greatest talent. They were 11th in scoring offense this year, and accumulated more first downs than everyone except for Georgia (who played an extra game due to playing in the CFP).

What is your criteria? Was Rees good at the job?
My criteria is be good. Show me one thing on his resume that says "good?" Nothing original. No design. It's a relative game, not a how you create stats and inferior opponent game. Look at Utah's wins, compare to other teams with those same wins and Utah's offense does not impress. Utah's four-five-six year talent was every bit as good as the high turn-over teams they played against.

I didn't comment on Rees, nor miss him.

This is a time will tell debate. Not our money on the line. I think his hire puts ND back the two or three years this guy generally lasts at a gig.

My criteria is be good. Show me one thing on his resume that says "good?" Nothing original. No design. It's a relative game, not a how you create stats and inferior opponent game. Look at Utah's wins, compare to other teams with those same wins and Utah's offense does not impress. Utah's four-five-six year talent was every bit as good as the high turn-over teams they played against.

I didn't comment on Rees, nor miss him.

This is a time will tell debate. Not our money on the line. I think his hire puts ND back the two or three years this guy generally lasts at a gig.
Well, he's been good. lol.

Coordinators (defensive and offensive) bounce around.

I could not find stats on college coordinators but since 2000 NFL offensive coordinators shelf life is on average 2.29 years. College is not far off. This last stint at Utah had him there 8 years.

I was impressed with Utah's offense and the way they utilized their QB the past two seasons. Ludwig has run spread and in the pass adjusted to a pro-style based on his talent (see Wisconsin - Melvin Gordon). He has been around and knows how to produce. And lets not forget he led a dynamic offense that defeated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in 2009. Utah was 17th total offense this past season and 14th the year before. That is good.

Utah's talent is nowhere as good as OSU's (who they scored on) or USC (who they scored on).

IF he gets hired, I think it is a solid move on Freeman's part. I'd take Sean Lewis as well. Both are an upgrade IMO.

Last edited:

Coordinators (defensive and offensive) bounce around.

I could not find stats on college coordinators but since 2000 NFL offensive coordinators shelf life is on average is 2.29 years. College is not far off. This last stint at Utah had him there 8 years.

I was impressed with Utah's offense and the way they utilized their QB the past two seasons. Ludwig has run spread and in the pass adjusted to a pro-style based on his talent (see Wisconsin - Melvin Gordon). He has been around and knows how to produce. And lets not forget he led a dynamic offense that defeated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in 2009. Utah was 17th total offense this past season nd 14th the year before. That is good.

Utah's talent is nowhere as good as OSU's (who they scored on) or USC (who they scored on).

IF he gets hired, I think it is a solid move on Freeman's part. I'd take Sean Lewis as well. Both are an upgrade IMO.
Yeah, he’s not the highest ceiling candidate but definitely the highest floor. It’s a smart, safe hire. Freeman can make more risky hires on D because that’s his area of expertise, he knows it’s best if he’s hands off with the Offense.

Harry Hiestand steps down as OL Coach. He’s a great developer, but he’s been a lazy recruiter since he got back.

No he hasn't, lol, lol, lol. ;)H

He got the job, twice because he was Wittingham's buddy, not because of accomplishments elsewhere. The Utah schools have always had great lines, because they play old men. Notre Dame planning on doing that?

We'll see. I think Freemon screwed the pooch with this.

EDIT: just noticed utsherman's post. Ludwig knows a soft gig when he sees it. He wandered off once and it didn't go well. Now ND can find someone good.

Last edited:
No he hasn't, lol, lol, lol. ;)H

He got the job, twice because he was Wittingham's buddy, not because of accomplishments elsewhere. The Utah schools have always had great lines, because they play old men. Notre Dame planning on doing that?

We'll see. I think Freemon screwed the pooch with this.
He didn’t screw the pooch, the Admin did by refusing to pay the buyout.

He screwed the pooch by offering in the first place, is what I was referring to.
No, he did the right thing. This is what happens when you have dumb a** priests with no real world experience, making decisions. Jenkins is a f**ktard.

No, he did the right thing. This is what happens when you have dumb a** priests with no real world experience, making decisions. Jenkins is a f**ktard.
butt-hurt much?

Those priests saved your beloved team an inability to score against ND level comp. BUT, I guess we'll never know. You can whine over whoever they do get and tell yourself, if only we'd gotten ludwig, the guy with a history of not staying in one place long, yet getting a job from his good buddy after failing miserably at his previous jobs.

butt-hurt much?

Those priests saved your beloved team an inability to score against ND level comp. BUT, I guess we'll never know. You can whine over whoever they do get and tell yourself, if only we'd gotten ludwig, the guy with a history of not staying in one place long, yet getting a job from his good buddy after failing miserably at his previous jobs.
BS. They’re going to get stuck promoting a scrub like Parker to OC. Ludwig would’ve been a solid hire. Now, they’re left with a schmuck who couldn’t cut at it WVU. F**k Swarbrick and f**k Jenkins.

Not sure where East is getting that the guy has failed outside of Utah. He hasn't. In-between the Utah stints he had two years of borderline top-20 offenses at Wisconsin, and helped Vanderbilt improve year-over-year all four years, going from dead last in the SEC in total offense to middle of the pack (with by far the worst talent/roster in the SEC).

This wouldn't have been a sexy hire, but he would have been a near guarantee to be competent and effective. Odds are they'll get a crappier coach barring getting an NFL guy at this point, and they now have two big holes to plug on offense with their OL coach retiring.

Not sure where East is getting that the guy has failed outside of Utah. He hasn't. In-between the Utah stints he had two years of borderline top-20 offenses at Wisconsin, and helped Vanderbilt improve year-over-year all four years, going from dead last in the SEC in total offense to middle of the pack (with by far the worst talent/roster in the SEC).

This wouldn't have been a sexy hire, but he would have been a near guarantee to be competent and effective. Odds are they'll get a crappier coach barring getting an NFL guy at this point, and they now have two big holes to plug on offense with their OL coach retiring.
one year at California, followed by one year at San Diego, a move up I guess by your standard, followed by one year at Wisconsin which would be a move up except, he lasted .... one year followed by this wonderful term you claim at Vanderbilt in which they went for a 340 batting average. You can raise offensive stats and still be a worse offense. Or it might be that previous guy was attrocious and the head coach/defensive play caller was REALLY good, giving the offense the ball more often.

and here is was, applying for another job.

I do feel for you all. You missed the honey bear you think would have been a savior. Doesn't matter you believe me. Regardless ND goes 13-0, you'll still want to insist, gee if only we'd gotten that Utah guy.

Freeman dodged a bullet.

one year at California, followed by one year at San Diego, a move up I guess by your standard, followed by one year at Wisconsin which would be a move up except, he lasted .... one year followed by this wonderful term you claim at Vanderbilt in which they went for a 340 batting average. You can raise offensive stats and still be a worse offense. Or it might be that previous guy was attrocious and the head coach/defensive play caller was REALLY good, giving the offense the ball more often.

and here is was, applying for another job.

I do feel for you all. You missed the honey bear you think would have been a savior. Doesn't matter you believe me. Regardless ND goes 13-0, you'll still want to insist, gee if only we'd gotten that Utah guy.

Freeman dodged a bullet.
You're not reading his resume correctly. There are a ton of two year stints on there, which is actually quite common for OCs. Ryan Day and Tom Herman had resumes that looked very similar in terms of job turnover before getting to Ohio State. Garrett Riley, the new Clemson OC, is now at his 6th school in less than 10 years. A lot of these guys bounce around every 2-3 years, whether it's promotion or being fired as a scapegoat.

I'm not at all a diehard for Notre Dame; I just happened to think Utah's offensive system is one of a few models that makes a lot of sense for the Domers. Kind of Urban Meyer-ish with power run game out of a spread offense. If you aren't going to get the five star RB and WR recruits that a handful of usual contenders are regularly getting...either going this route or the Harbaugh/Dantonio pro-style route make the most sense to me in terms of competing against the best teams on a regular basis.

lol

OK, let's read it correctly. It's a good ol boy network where failure doesn't matter and you still get paid millions. ND might as well go pay millions to someone that isn't a failure
Who would that be? The list of qualified candidates is small. Im growing more and more nervous they’re going to just promote Parker.

Who would that be? The list of qualified candidates is small. Im growing more and more nervous they’re going to just promote Parker.
It is kind of late in the day. I'll give you that. Probably go the Miami route, find a high performing HC or OC at a mid-major.