Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Alabama by 1-7 points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama by 8-14 points

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Alabama by 15+ points

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters

I’ll root like hell for ND, but there’s no logical part of me that believes ND can win.

He's a good coach like Bobby Knight was a good coach. But I can't stand the guy. Haven't since he spent a game chewing out his own players for the cameras while coaching at UC. Just disgraceful and selfish. Has no place at a Catholic university.

He's a good coach like Bobby Knight was a good coach. But I can't stand the guy. Haven't since he spent a game chewing out his own players for the cameras while coaching at UC. Just disgraceful and selfish. Has no place at a Catholic university.
He’s calmed down significantly during that time. The 2016 season where they went 4-8 was his come to Jesus moment. I’m not a homer, but I think he’s legitimately a top 5 coach. Saban and Swimney stand alone, but then he’s in that next tier with Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day.

Notre Dame was able to hold a very similar offense statistically in North Carolina to 17 points. I think people may be overreacting to what Clemson did to them last week. They won’t have to worry about a mobile qb like Lawrence was. Mac Jones won’t be running for 90 yards like Trevor Lawrence. This isn’t a typical Alabama defense either.

Notre Dame was able to hold a very similar offense statistically in North Carolina to 17 points. I think people may be overreacting to what Clemson did to them last week. They won’t have to worry about a mobile qb like Lawrence was. Mac Jones won’t be running for 90 yards like Trevor Lawrence. This isn’t a typical Alabama defense either.
That’s a good point, and while UNC has studs at WR, none of them are on Smith’s level. What’s crazy is just last yr Bama had 4 1st Round WRs in their lineup: Juedy, Ruggs, Smith, and Waddel.

NCAA Offensive team rankings for these four teams

Passing yards per game
Alabama - 5
Clemson - 7
tOSU - 42
ND - 57
Rushing yards per game
tOSU - 5
ND - 21
Alabama - 43
Clemson - 64

NCAA Defensive team rankings for these four teams

Rushing yards allowed per game
tOSU - 7
Clemson - 9
Alabama - 12
ND - 16
Passing yards allowed per game
Clemson - 27
ND - 56
Alabama - 76
tOSU - 103

ND and tOSU have one thing in common in their matchups. Can they defend the pass?

Passer Rating ranks
MJ - 1
JF - 11
TL - 12
IB - 33
Completion percentage ranks
MJ - 1
JF - 4
TL - 12
IB - 44

Harris and Smith are 1 & tied for 4 in points scored.
Can anyone stop Jones, Harris, & Smith? I'm not sure ND could stop all 3 if they had Alabama headsets on.

This mindset always fascinates me. It happens at the high school levels too. The coach that is nasty, yells at his players, isn't liked is many times disliked by the masses, but they win? So what's the balance? Do you want a coach that's nice to everyone and loses or an SOB that wins? I think 99% of the fans of teams like winning. Bobby Knight won, and did not cheat. He expected alot from his players, but also were their biggest fans after they graduated. What's so bad about that?

North Carolina and Alabama are two very different teams.

This mindset always fascinates me. It happens at the high school levels too. The coach that is nasty, yells at his players, isn't liked is many times disliked by the masses, but they win? So what's the balance? Do you want a coach that's nice to everyone and loses or an SOB that wins? I think 99% of the fans of teams like winning. Bobby Knight won, and did not cheat. He expected alot from his players, but also were their biggest fans after they graduated. What's so bad about that?

I think guys like Belichick show that balance. He doesn't put on a show for the cameras and doesn't pander to the media. He's tough on his players without being abusive, and he's not afraid to sit a guy or trade them or cut them if they step out of line or don't buy in. Nick Saban is of the same mold, though I think he's a bit hot-headed. Maybe it's a Bill Parcells tree thing?

Kelly and Knight cross(ed) the line to being physically and/ or mentally abusive, IMO.

But on the flip side, you have guys like Pete Carroll and Andy Reid who are "players coaches" and they have success, too.

It probably comes down to personality. The guys that flourish in a Belichick system might not in a more lax environment and vice-versa.

I think guys like Belichick show that balance. He doesn't put on a show for the cameras and doesn't pander to the media. He's tough on his players without being abusive, and he's not afraid to sit a guy or trade them or cut them if they step out of line or don't buy in. Nick Saban is of the same mold, though I think he's a bit hot-headed. Maybe it's a Bill Parcells tree thing?

Kelly and Knight cross(ed) the line to being physically and/ or mentally abusive, IMO.

But on the flip side, you have guys like Pete Carroll and Andy Reid who are "players coaches" and they have success, too.

It probably comes down to personality. The guys that flourish in a Belichick system might not in a more lax environment and vice-versa.
Belichick learned from one of the best, Bill Parcells, who is a good friend of Bob Knight. Many of these guys are cut from the same cloth. 40-50 years ago, yelling at players (now called verbal abuse) was the norm. Many football coaches were very physically abusive to football players, slapping them upside the head, grabbing facemasks. I'm not condoning it, but don't you think some of today's players would be better off with more discipline than less?
I think Reid and Carroll are good "in today's world" where you manage egos and talent. I think Reid it tougher than he shows, Carrol just has got by with having really talented players around him.

I always thought Gregg Popovich was the mold all NBA teams should use. But it only worked in San Antonio. Pro basketball players are probably the worst pro athletes to manage. But Pop was able to rule with a pretty heavy hand in San Antonio and he had proven vets like Duncan, Robinson, Ginoblili and Parker who were the leaders on the team.

The thing I really liked about Knight is he didn't always have great talent. In fact many teams had more talent, but Knight got the most out of his players, like his methods or not. Just look at the lack of pro players from Indiana during Knight's tenure. The moment college basketball put in more "rules" like the shot clock and 3 point line, it made it more difficult for coaches like Knight. Let's face it the shot clock makes it less important to handle the ball, hit free throws and keep the ball away from opponents. It increases possessions, adds a point to a shot that's far from the basket, so the 10-15 point lead in the 70's and early 80's - which was insurmountable - is now easy to overcome because of all the extra possessions.

And don't get me started on the charge rule. The one tool a defender has is now all but gone. You may be lucky to see one charge in a game today, the good teams would take 5 charges a game back then. You couldn't just "LeBron" your way to the basket by running over guys. He wouldn't last 10 minutes in a game back then.

I know the sort of behavior that went on, and still goes on, at the HS level in a lot of places. Coaches cross the line all the time and it often gets ignored for a number of reasons. Sometimes people think it's constructive or character-building for boys, but it's often more about the coach's ego, than offering constructive remarks to a player, which results in excessive behavior.

Of course, it's a different dynamic in the pros, but I can't recall ever hearing players complain about Parcells, unlike what came out against Knight. They may have been friends but I don't think they were alike in their coaching style. I think the "worst" you heard about Parcells was that he could be indifferent to the players in that there was a clear separation between the staff and the players. He was known for psychological strategies, but I haven't heard of them being crazy. He invented the "earn your star" thing in Dallas, as an example.

I think discipline is good but it's a tool like anything else. You use it to hone skills and earn competence. If a coach is disciplining, it should be to improve the team or player, not bully a kid into submission. Issues with Bobby Knight went beyond coaching. He was inappropriate with a lot of people over the years, and he had clear emotional problems.

Belichick learned from one of the best, Bill Parcells, who is a good friend of Bob Knight. Many of these guys are cut from the same cloth. 40-50 years ago, yelling at players (now called verbal abuse) was the norm. Many football coaches were very physically abusive to football players, slapping them upside the head, grabbing facemasks. I'm not condoning it, but don't you think some of today's players would be better off with more discipline than less?
I think Reid and Carroll are good "in today's world" where you manage egos and talent. I think Reid it tougher than he shows, Carrol just has got by with having really talented players around him.

I always thought Gregg Popovich was the mold all NBA teams should use. But it only worked in San Antonio. Pro basketball players are probably the worst pro athletes to manage. But Pop was able to rule with a pretty heavy hand in San Antonio and he had proven vets like Duncan, Robinson, Ginoblili and Parker who were the leaders on the team.
Those times are gone. I wish not but it is what it it is. Most Superstar Athletes do what they want regardless of team rules and restrictions. When the players make more than the coach, who is the boss?

LOL no place at a Catholic school. Obviously you never had a Nun as a teacher.