Notre Dame Fighting Irish coach Brian Kelly threatens not to play in College Football Playoff

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Friday that if the Irish are chosen to make the College Football Playoff, they would consider not playing if families are not allowed to attend the semifinal game.

During a Zoom call previewing the ACC championship game, Kelly made pointed remarks about the need to have families attend the games.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h

Empty threat. However, how does it make any sense at all for ND and possibly Ohio St to fly out to LA to play in an empty stadium? Move the games to Jerry World.

Why not just move them to Indianapolis? A couple of bus trips instead of getting on airplanes.

I wonder if the committee will consider trips when assigning teams to their spot in the playoffs. Ohio State/Notre Dame and Clemson/Alabama make the most sense geographically.

They won't change at this point because of contracts. It would've actually been better if Cali or whoever said no games at all. Then that would've actually gave them an out. It's an empty threat. For one, Brian Kelly may be the one accepting the bowl bid in photos...it's the AD and President who make the actual decision. ND's not going to turn down the CFP money to make a stance.

When it comes down to the cash, I don't see Notre Dame allowing Kelly to make that call. This seems like yet another example of Notre Dame's arrogance. The domers still think that decades old successes make them relevant now.

He's also poked the football Gods now to the extent that Clemson is going to put such a shelacking on them today that they're not going to even get a chance.

Arrogant pukes playing themselves out of the playoff today so Kelly won't get the chance. The football Gods strike down the Irish.

Lol ND isn't dropping more than 2 spots. The playoffs have been setup for weeks. It's going to be Bama/Clemson/OSU/ND.
If it would have been a close loss I would agree with that. The Irish were completely dominated today and certainly left themselves open to being left out in a fair system, but I think it has become painfully obvious the college football playoffs are not fair. And I am a ND fan.

It’s a tough call but the more I think about it the more I think Notre Dame should get the nod. Can’t remember a year where it’s coming down to two teams who both have blow out losses for the final spot.

Makes a good argument for Notre Dame not joining a conference. They finish the season undefeated and guaranteed of a playoff spot with not playing in the league championship game.

This just in: if not selected for the College Football Playoff Brian Kelly threatens not to play in the College Football Playoff.