Northwest Ohio Realignment

Considering the Crescent-News has gone to s*** since Groll (and a couple others) left/were let go, and there's literally no other source in NW Ohio worth anything.....Black Swamp is by far the best source we have for high school football in the area.

Maybe someone in Toledo or Lima or Sandusky or Findlay or anywhere else should do half as much work as Groll does and put out a legit preview of their own. ?‍♂️
Lima News used to have a great Season Preview that would come out the day before the season opener. Been years since I bought a Lima News so not sure if they still put anything out or not

So it is on the coach? BS coverage.
Last year, Ross had a preview and a page feature on their big lineman. This year 6/8 TRAC schools responded(Ross and Senior). A small time outfit based out of the Defiance county area mostly will only reach out so much.
The SBC is not in NW Ohio?
I know it might sound weird but most of us in the upper corner of NW Ohio think of the old Toledo Blade coverage area as the real NW Ohio. We have some imaginary line that follows close to US-30 near Van Wert then cuts up through Findlay/Fostoria before heading north on an angle to the edge of Maumee Bay State Park. Prior to the TRAC, Senior got very little coverage from the Blade, Fremont got more coverage because of their GLL/GBC/TRAC affiliations but a lot of that helped when Charles Woodson came through through the system. Some of the outlier schools west of Lucas county got some coverage if they were part of the TAAC or SLL/NBC but for the most part it seemed like the Blade was content not to drift too far into Ottawa/Sandusky/Seneca counties. Now, looking at SBC coverage through Black Swamp's viewpoint-most of their connections and customers are in that same basic imaginary NW Ohio I just mentioned, the juice might not be worth the squeeze of getting into the area further east.

Some things trending in the right direction over on the north side. Woodward is now up to just over 40 players out for football after only having about 10-12 at their spring meeting. New coach Al Thompson has been drumming up support from the community and received new adidas cleats and gear from the Jourdan Lewis foundation.
That is awesome...what happened to their old coach?

literally every media outlet covering high school football is dependent on the coach.
My comment was based on the fact that someone threw Chad Long under the bus as not getting info in on time when in all reality it looks like Genoa is the Eastern most team. There is no Oak Harbor, Gibsonburg, Woodmore, or Ross. Did ALL of those coaches not get their stuff in on time?

It simply looks to me that BS sees NWOhio as Toledo area South and West predominantly rather than Chad Long not getting in the information.
I believe Fremont Ross was "to be in" Black Swamp magazine, but Chad Long did not return the information in time.

Did ALL of those coaches not get their stuff in on time?
in all likelihood, yeah that means they didn't get their stuff in on time. what are the chances those coaches sent their stuff in and black swamp said thanks but no thanks you're not included? not very high would be my guess

I suppose one could easily ask Black Swamp(@blackswampfb) or Chad Long if it means that much.

Last edited:
I suppose one could easily ask Black Swamp(@blackswampfb) or Chad Long if it means that much.

The guy relies on sponsors to put his magazine together. I suspect Rossford and Genoa were included this year because the guys who generously support those programs reached out to Black Swamp and agreed to buy ad space.

If Oak Harbor State Bank or Toussaint River Turf wanted to buy a full page ad, I'm sure the Rockets would have an article.

in all likelihood, yeah that means they didn't get their stuff in on time. what are the chances those coaches sent their stuff in and black swamp said thanks but no thanks you're not included? not very high would be my guess
Or BS is focused on schools West of Genoa. What about Clyde, Sandusky, Tiffin Columbian? All of the smaller schools in their area? It looks to me like they chose to define NWOhio as X (mainly West and Southwest of Toledo area).

Again, someone put it on Long. Can anyone confirm that him and all of the other coaches East of Genoa "dropped the ball?"

Last edited:
Again, someone put it on Long. Can anyone confirm that him and all of the other coaches East of Genoa "dropped the ball?"
Did the deed
VVVVVVVV
I believe Fremont Ross was "to be in" Black Swamp magazine, but Chad Long did not return the information in time.

It was however supposition so.. tacos at ten paces and we can move on?

Davey1 has a pretty good def of "NW Ohio" doesn't it?

Or BS is focused on schools West of Genoa. What about Clyde, Sandusky, Tiffin Columbian? All of the smaller schools in their area? It looks to me like they chose to define NWOhio as X (mainly West and Southwest of Toledo area).

There are a few leagues that are partially covered based on the list provided by bluedevilbuckeye. BVC and NWC teams are left out for whatever reason, they made a decision who they covered and who they didn't and I can live with that. It sounds like a good preview. I've heard people refer to Sandusky as being in north central Ohio. I'm from Sandusky and never once thought of it as being anything but northwest Ohio, but times change I reckon.

It's a valid point that local media sources are dependent on coaches getting info to them, but it seems likely that Fremont simply isn't included in the coverage area. If Fremont is covered by the Register (do they still have a preview?) or another preview covers them that means that he got the info to somebody.

Last edited:
Outside of Ottawa County, you guys really are complaining about a publication called BLACK SWAMP not covering areas that weren't in the Black Swamp?

Start your own, if it bugs you that much. Exclude us, that's fine. But to EXPECT a small time outfit in the Defiance/Napoleon area to cover the SBC is a bit much.

GreatBlackSwampMap.png

Last edited:
BVC and NWC teams are left out for whatever reason
BVC, NWC, and WBL are on the outskirts of Black Swamp's coverage "area." In the NWC they cover Columbus Grove, Leipsic, and formerly Paulding. WBL they cover Elida, Bath, and Ottawa-Glandorf. BVC they have Liberty-Benton and Pandora-Gilboa. Add Lima Senior into the mix of teams from the Limaland area they cover, even if it's mostly because of their TRAC ties. Like a few people have mentioned before on here, schools in the Northwest Corner pretty much north of Lima and west of Findlay basically opt into their coverage. If the teams and communities show interest, Black Swamp will cover them.

BVC, NWC, and WBL are on the outskirts of Black Swamp's coverage "area." In the NWC they cover Columbus Grove, Leipsic, and formerly Paulding. WBL they cover Elida, Bath, and Ottawa-Glandorf. BVC they have Liberty-Benton and Pandora-Gilboa. Add Lima Senior into the mix of teams from the Limaland area they cover, even if it's mostly because of their TRAC ties. Like a few people have mentioned before on here, schools in the Northwest Corner pretty much north of Lima and west of Findlay basically opt into their coverage. If the teams and communities show interest, Black Swamp will cover them.

Damn, I know our football is down and we're a long trip, but they got rid of us? ?

Outside of Ottawa County, you guys really are complaining about a publication called BLACK SWAMP not covering areas that weren't in the Black Swamp?

Start your own, if it bugs you that much. Exclude us, that's fine. But to EXPECT a small time outfit in the Defiance/Napoleon area to cover the SBC is a bit much.

View attachment 31953

That's just the Great Black Swamp. There's the Lesser Known Black Swamp that covers the perimeter counties and parts of downtown Columbus.

My comment was based on the fact that someone threw Chad Long under the bus as not getting info in on time when in all reality it looks like Genoa is the Eastern most team. There is no Oak Harbor, Gibsonburg, Woodmore, or Ross. Did ALL of those coaches not get their stuff in on time?

It simply looks to me that BS sees NWOhio as Toledo area South and West predominantly rather than Chad Long not getting in the information.
The only person that "threw Chad Long under the bus" is Lynn Groll.

"18 features and 53 previews are done for this year’s 184-page preseason magazine. Really appreciate the cooperation from area coaches and players! Fremont Ross, Shawnee and Lima Senior did not return info on time. It will go to the printer and be available in the next 3-4 weeks!" - July 6th on Twitter

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 14-23-20 Lynn Groll on Twitter.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 14-23-20 Lynn Groll on Twitter.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 34
The only person that "threw Chad Long under the bus" is Lynn Groll.

"18 features and 53 previews are done for this year’s 184-page preseason magazine. Really appreciate the cooperation from area coaches and players! Fremont Ross, Shawnee and Lima Senior did not return info on time. It will go to the printer and be available in the next 3-4 weeks!" - July 6th on Twitter

That's very much an issue of language. Feeling the legit need to explain why those schools were not included, it's probably better to take the first person.

...We went to publication before information arrived from.... and hope to include them.... See our website (the real goal actually) for updates to ....

I do not have a problem with the publication as any coverage is welcomed but rather curious on coverage area. Ross included but not Oak Harbor or Woodmore? Ottawa Glandorf and Montpelier are substantially further away. Lima Shawnee? Their coverage zone seems very West and South of Toledo, which again is fine but they named names. Lol.

I do not have a problem with the publication as any coverage is welcomed but rather curious on coverage area. Ross included but not Oak Harbor or Woodmore? Ottawa Glandorf and Montpelier are substantially further away. Lima Shawnee? Their coverage zone seems very West and South of Toledo, which again is fine but they named names. Lol.

OG and Montpelier are definitely NOT further away from Defiance than Oak Harbor or Woodmore.

Take your Toledo glasses off and actually realize what you're looking at. This is a publication from the Defiance area. Why would we care at all about Oak Harbor or Woodmore or Sandusky or Norwalk?

As for why Ross....they're kinda in a league with schools in the Toledo area he chose to cover.

OG and Montpelier are definitely NOT further away from Defiance than Oak Harbor or Woodmore.

Take your Toledo glasses off and actually realize what you're looking at. This is a publication from the Defiance area. Why would we care at all about Oak Harbor or Woodmore or Sandusky or Norwalk?

As for why Ross....they're kinda in a league with schools in the Toledo area he chose to cover.

Who's buying advertising in Oak Harbor or Elmore? Ernesto's?

That's very much an issue of language. Feeling the legit need to explain why those schools were not included, it's probably better to take the first person.

...We went to publication before information arrived from.... and hope to include them.... See our website (the real goal actually) for updates to ....
You're not wrong. I just answered the original question of why Ross wasn't in BS magazine.