Northwest Ohio Realignment

Would the GMC even slightly consider that?

Only way I could see any interest would be if Antwerp or Ayersville started having trouble fielding full football teams. I think we're still 5 or more years away from that possibly though.

EDIT: Or maybe if someone managed to poach Tinora, but I really don't think they would leave.

I still think it was a dumb move for maumee to leave the nll.
Gotta disagree hard with this. Maumee has won one game in the last 4 years and routinely gets beat down in just about all sports. They’ve became so uncompetitive that the only opportunity they really have is to go to a smaller league and hopefully revitalize interest in kids playing sports at their school

Gotta disagree hard with this. Maumee has won one game in the last 4 years and routinely gets beat down in just about all sports. They’ve became so uncompetitive that the only opportunity they really have is to go to a smaller league and hopefully revitalize interest in kids playing sports at their school
I think that story MIGHT (not a guarantee at all) be different now if they're in a division with just Napoleon, BG, Southview, Springfield, and Clay. That might be what dappling is referring to. Probably should've tried it out for a year or two before jumping ship to see how it played out IMO.

Reactions: AXE
I think that story MIGHT (not a guarantee at all) be different now if they're in a division with just Napoleon, BG, Southview, Springfield, and Clay. That might be what dappling is referring to. Probably should've tried it out for a year or two before jumping ship to see how it played out IMO.
They just lost to Eastwood 56-7. Maumee doesn’t have a year or two, they’re not even going to be competitive in the NBC for awhile.

In fact looking at the Fall sports standings, the best finish they had in any sport was 5th in volleyball this year. Pretty much across the board they were last or second to last

Last edited:
Only way I could see any interest would be if Antwerp or Ayersville started having trouble fielding full football teams. I think we're still 5 or more years away from that possibly though.

EDIT: Or maybe if someone managed to poach Tinora, but I really don't think they would leave.

Yeah, I think Tinora would only go to the NWOAL, which would strengthen that league and leave Bryan right there.

Although Antwerp went from playoffs to no team back to playoffs at neck breaking speed. Those small schools are all one or 2 weak classes from real trouble.

A league of eight schools smaller than Maumee seems like a better deal than a league of 6 that you already can't beat with mandatory crossovers with bigger schools you can't beat either.

Maumee had been looking at it's options for over a decade. Hardly a rush decision.

Ah. So they were blowing a bunch of hot air and looking got pity then. Figures.
Who was blowing a bunch of hot air? The superintendent announced the possibility of a new league at a board meeting. Evergreen decided against it, so that wasn't going to happen. Then, later he told the Board they were invited to the TAAC. The Board wasn't interested.

Or maybe if someone managed to poach Tinora, but I really don't think they would leave.
1. I wonder if Tiniora would leave without Ayersville?
2. Does the GMC want to expand to 10 teams? Who would be the 9th and 10th teams?
3. Is Swanton just delaying now, until they figure somewhere else to go? If so, where can they go?

2. Does the GMC want to expand to 10 teams? Who would be the 9th and 10th teams?
3. Is Swanton just delaying now, until they figure somewhere else to go? If so, where can they go?

Swanton would have been a better fit in the NBC than Maumee. Other than Eastwood in most sports, the other schools all are up and down from year to year. 50 minutes to Oak Harbor would be the longest road trip if Swanton replaced Fostoria.

Swanton would have been a better fit in the NBC than Maumee. Other than Eastwood in most sports, the other schools all are up and down from year to year. 50 minutes to Oak Harbor would be the longest road trip if Swanton replaced Fostoria.
Which is still shorter than some of their trips in their current setup. I just don't think Swanton wanted to be anywhere without Evergreen and Delta and that's what ended up forcing their hand when the new league fell apart.

Which is still shorter than some of their trips in their current setup. I just don't think Swanton wanted to be anywhere without Evergreen and Delta and that's what ended up forcing their hand when the new league fell apart.

If football is the driver behind all of this, getting away from Archbold/Wauseon/Liberty Center seems like it would be more important than keeping Delta and Evergreen. They could schedule them in the non-conference. The NWOAL doesn't even play a full double round robin in basketball, do they?

If football is the driver behind all of this, getting away from Archbold/Wauseon/Liberty Center seems like it would be more important than keeping Delta and Evergreen. They could schedule them in the non-conference. The NWOAL doesn't even play a full double round robin in basketball, do they?they only play each other once. & sometimes they will schedule each other twice, but one of them are non-conference games.
they only play each other once. Sometime they scheduled league teams twice, but the first game out of the two is a non-conference game.

I don't think they would leave at all, but if they were I don't think Ayersville going or staying would stop them. The rivalry with us is bigger than the Tinora/Ayersville rivalry at this point really. GM dwindling in Defiance has really hit Ayersville hard.

Haven't shown any interest in expanding from 8, If they hypothetically went 10 though the best options would probably be Montpelier/North Central in Williams County (Edgerton is the only Williams county school in the GMC currently), or, if the NWOAL disbanded, some combination of those schools. (PH/LC or Archbold/Bryan would be my guesses.)

Last edited:
Could the NWOAL go big school small school?

If you go back about 6 months and 100 pages I actually suggested a GMC/NWOAL merger with a big/small school division and got flamed pretty hard for it. I didn't think it was an actual possibility but the hypotheticals are fun to consider if nothing else.
I think an NWOAL/GMC merger would be great

I think an NWOAL/GMC merger would be great
I do think it would give both leagues a lot more security. If one or two teams start exploring other options or start struggling with numbers, you're conference isn't immediately at death's door. There are a lot of historical rivalries across the leagues too. (LC/Tinora, Wauseon/Fairview, Bryan/Fairview, etc.)

With Swanton now staying, sounds like the conference realignment might now be dead in the water.
There is still the 12th spot in the NLL, but it sounds like there is only one willing possible candidate (Lima Senior) despite the league's misgivings. I'd imagine some more dominoes would fall if Columbian or Defiance jumped, but those both seem to be relative longshots at this point given all of the anecdotal evidence on here.

Where would they go? SBC River or NWCC. Both of the conferences are now at 10 teams. Not sure there is room for Arcadia unless those conferences would expand to 12.
SBC River. Now that NB and Cory Rawson are leaving and Vanlue is barely hanging on, Arcadia will be the new punching bag for the BVC once those schools are gone. To be honest it’d be a good move for them to leave and maybe replace them with Fostoria. They are a terrible fit in the NBC anyway.

D5250234-45C5-4165-A953-0940451C98EA.jpeg

I don't think they would leave at all, but if they were I don't think Ayersville going or staying would stop them. The rivalry with us is bigger than the Tinora/Ayersville rivalry at this point really. GM dwindling in Defiance has really hit Ayersville hard.

Haven't shown any interest in expanding from 8, If they hypothetically went 10 though the best options would probably be Montpelier/North Central in Williams County (Edgerton is the only Williams county school in the GMC currently), or, if the NWOAL disbanded, some combination of those schools. (PH/LC or Archbold/Bryan would be my guesses.)

Just curious, why North Central over Edon? I'd think Edon with an established football program and being right on 49 could be attractive if they ever needed someone.

I think the GMC's dream setup to get to 12 though would be Archbold, LC, PH, and Crestview. Bryan would do in a pinch if and when Crestview balked.

Just curious, why North Central over Edon? I'd think Edon with an established football program and being right on 49 could be attractive if they ever needed someone.
Honestly, I had completely forgot about Edon and knew NC was starting varsity this year. Between the two, Edon would definitely be the better pickup.

I think the GMC's dream setup to get to 12 though would be Archbold, LC, PH, and Crestview. Bryan would do in a pinch if and when Crestview balked.
I think this would be ideal. I want to complain about the 42 minute drive to PH from Fairview but I know I'm just spoiled currently with how geographically close everything is and Sherwood being basically dead center in the GMC footprint.